130-139 - none
140-149 - none
150-159 - none
160-169 - none
170-179 - none
180-189 - none
190-199 - none

Include the following cells

Sentence Number - 3 digit page number and 2 digit sentence number (ex 126-08)
Kanji Text - Convert all to kanji if possible, leave as kana if
unsure. Numbers can be Roman Numerals. Include punctuations
Kana Text - Convert numbers to kana equivalent, include punctuations.
English Text - Generally what's done in the book.
Notes - Requests for assistance (unsure of proper grammer for edited
sentence), misc.

Look at page 126, you'll see a by number 8 a pair of sentences: 妹は去年テニスを
始めました。最近とても上手になりました。

First, the sentence number is 126-08.

Second, you'll only include the second sentence as it has the bolded
term, but add in 妹はas it was deleted because it was understood. So the
sentence is 最近妹はとても上手になりました。

Third, the kana sentence is obvious.

Forth, the english sentence will be "My younger sister has become very
skilled recently"

NOTE: If you can include テニス tennis in this GRAMMATICALLY correct,
then do so. Else, note here to have someone else do it if possible. I "think" it's "最近妹はテニスがとても上手になりました。" "Recently my younger sister has become very good at tennis." Is addition, the なりました could be 成りました if you know that's the kanji variant (even if it's usually kana, your call though).

EXTRA: Don't do sentences from the practice areas (part 2 has many sentences like this). I avoided sentences from the Column Topics. That may be added later.

I hope this can be done.
Edited: 2008-05-24, 9:56 pm
I'll do page 70-79, though I might be a bit slow with it. I'm trying to devote all my time for the rest of the month to finishing Heisig.
Well, give me a spot. I was typing them in just as I got this.

With the numbering, surely something far simpler could be worked out. For example, the page number and then abcdef etc. (e.g. 152d). The numbering is only important to find things quickly in the book again and check them. The reason I would prefer this is that I would like to have all the example sentences, not just bolded ones, especially if we are going to divy it up. I even type in the story sentences and the question and answer pairs (as pairs). It's good for reinforcement and also allows people to pick and choose the vocab they may or may not want to see in their grammar sentences. No one has to add all the sentences to their SRS if they feel they don't need it, but for beginners, more sentences with less variation seems important.

Also, why is the training topic important to note? It would either be obvious, or not an issue because you already know it. I feel the four fields used in KO is quite enough and easy to look at. However, it's your show.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
Hit me with a spot too.
Hit me with your best spot, why don't you hit me with your best spot, hit me with your best spot, fire awaaayyy.
phauna Wrote:Hit me with your best spot, why don't you hit me with your best spot, hit me with your best spot, fire awaaayyy.
Guitar Hero? ... or just old Wink

Actually... probably best not ask Nukemarine to hit you with his best shot :o
phauna Wrote:Well, give me a spot. I was typing them in just as I got this.

With the numbering, surely something far simpler could be worked out. For example, the page number and then abcdef etc. (e.g. 152d). The numbering is only important to find things quickly in the book again and check them. The reason I would prefer this is that I would like to have all the example sentences, not just bolded ones, especially if we are going to divy it up. I even type in the story sentences and the question and answer pairs (as pairs). It's good for reinforcement and also allows people to pick and choose the vocab they may or may not want to see in their grammar sentences. No one has to add all the sentences to their SRS if they feel they don't need it, but for beginners, more sentences with less variation seems important.

Also, why is the training topic important to note? It would either be obvious, or not an issue because you already know it. I feel the four fields used in KO is quite enough and easy to look at. However, it's your show.
Ok, no problem with changing up the numbering scheme. It will now be Page Number (3 digits) - Sentence Number (2 digits). So 154-04 would be the fourth sentence on page 154. No need for the training topic either. If a person feels the need for that info, it's not a stretch to copy and paste table of contents.

With regards to bolded terms, the book has conversations and paragraphs. There's ALOT of repetitive sentences and one word answers. I'm making the call that for this to be a useful resource, we limit entries to bolded terms. That means each sentence will follow the progressive format. Yeah, we're going to have to be a little creative in this because we're not given straight out sentences. Trust me, even with this set-up, you're going to get 1500 or more sentences.

Anyway, I have for now

70-79 Mcjon01
80-89 Phauna
90-99 Floatingweed5
100-109 Nukemarine
Edited: 2008-05-24, 9:55 pm
Cool bananas. So what're our spots?
Ok, the first four assignments are out. This will be a tad more complicated entry and quality control wise than KO2001. However, the end result should be immediately useful to any graduate of RTK.

I'm still a week away from getting back to Japan, but I'll post my group as soon as I get there (assuming it's typed by then).
Nukemarine Wrote:RTK1 (and RevTK naturally) - 4 months (20 a day)
Hiragana and Katakana - 1 week
UBJG - 2 months (20 sentences a day)
KO2001 pt1 - 3 months (5 kanji a day)
KO2001 pt2 - 3 months (5 kanji a day)
RTK3 - N/A (you'll do it simultaneously with KO2001 at 30 kanji per week)
Slightly off-topic question: As you continue after after RTK1, are you then adding all of UBJG and KO2001, and RTK3 to the SAME SRS deck? Or are these all on different decks which you open separately each day?
ashman63 Wrote:
Nukemarine Wrote:RTK1 (and RevTK naturally) - 4 months (20 a day)
Hiragana and Katakana - 1 week
UBJG - 2 months (20 sentences a day)
KO2001 pt1 - 3 months (5 kanji a day)
KO2001 pt2 - 3 months (5 kanji a day)
RTK3 - N/A (you'll do it simultaneously with KO2001 at 30 kanji per week)
Slightly off-topic question: As you continue after after RTK1, are you then adding all of UBJG and KO2001, and RTK3 to the SAME SRS deck? Or are these all on different decks which you open separately each day?
The RTK reviews are done on this website. The UBJG and KO are being added to the same deck in Anki, but I have them tagged so they're easy to seperate out if need be. So I review on RevTK first, then move onto sentence reviews on Anki.
Cheers, thanks for that. I will do the same thing too when I eventually get up to SRSing sentences.
Hello!
I just received my own copy of UBJG and would like to help out.
How can I do that?
Where can I buy this book and how much will it cost? Is there anywhere I can preview a few pages from it?
Zarxrax Wrote:Where can I buy this book and how much will it cost? Is there anywhere I can preview a few pages from it?
http://www.thejapanshop.com/product.php?...t=0&page=1
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E5%9F%BA%E7%A4%...475740168X

You ask, I deliver. Big Grin

The first link is, as far as I know, the cheapest place to buy it, and the amazon link lets you look inside the book if you click on the cover.
I got mine from http://www.jlist.com (http://www.jlist.com/PRODUCT/PB769). It costs $17.50 plus shipping.
It also has a photo of two pages from the book, although that's not really much. You'll have to believe I guess Smile.
What I noticed when I skimmed through book is that some kanji are mising furigana on (or rather under) them. Some of the kanji from the beginning (like 母) have them throughout and some just don't have it at all.
As a rule, kanji have furigana the first time they appear on a page. Subsequent appearances of the same kanji on the same page are furigana-less, but they'll be marked again whenever they show up on a different page. I've only gone through Part I with any sort of depth, but so far that haven't been any kanji that just plain don't have furigana.
You're right.
That's pretty clever actually and makes sure you don't start relying on furigana too much.
A little bit like reviewing just by reading through it.
UBJG has the single best chapter on Japanese particles that I've ever read.

That one chapter is worth the price of the book alone. They force you to
look for the nuances on your own and simply give you (very relevant) example
sentences.

No paragraph long explanations with intricate details. UBJG forces you
to come to your own understanding instead of memorizing someone else's.
Ok, I've began typing in my sentences from pages 100-109. Hopefully those that volunteered for pages are in process of doing theirs. I return to Japan tonight, but it'll be tomorrow before I can do any uploading.

In addition, if no one has done it, I'll update my numbering system for Chapter 1 to reflect what was decided upon (page - sentence number). Any comments on the format I submitted for chapter 1 ie doing only the bolded sentences vice every available sentence?
Nukemarine Wrote:Ok, I've began typing in my sentences from pages 100-109.
I have had (and am still having) a really busy week so far, so I've not started typing yet. Just been trying to keep steady with my SRS reps.

I'll go through the instructions regarding what to type/what not to type and formatting in the next day or two and post any questions here.

Once I get going I should be relatively fast.
Does anyone have an Anki deck for UBJG that they would like to share?
We are in the process of making one. Please email nukemarine for the lowdown.
This looks like a great book and a good project. I was looking for information about OCR and scanning and I found this thread
http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?tid=1064&page=1

In it forum member rich_f discusses scanning this book using his pen scanner. Do most people enter their sentences in manually or do they use a pen scanner or flatbed scanner + OCR software?

Anyway keep up the good work.
This thread got very quiet. Is this project actually going ahead? Nukemarine? I might be interested in signing up, one thing that concerns me is that there are two versions of the sentence kanjified and kana, but no version of the sentence that is exactly what is in the book. Personally I would prefer if people who are organizing these projects kept the sentences exactly the same as what is in the book (with perhaps an extra column for kanjified sentences). It makes it easier to check, easier to match up with what's in the book, and also makes the sentences more useful to those whose kanji skills who are at different levels. Anyway it is your project, so I guess the decision is ultimately yours.