Back

「(^0^)/ ★ ~ The 7 Digit Club (7DC) ~ ★ \(^0^)」

諸君全員, today marks a lifetime milestone for yours truly. No I didn't pass JLPT N1. No I didn't reach some dumb J-CAT score. No I don't work in radio while possessing a big fancy 漢検1級 certificate. I have no need for useless quantitative measurements of supposed Japanese proficiency to ease my non-existent insecurities and convince myself that I am indeed "jouzu" as I often hear upon belting out an ohayooo gozaaiieeemassooo.

No, today I have achieved something much greater than that. As they say, 一枚の絵は一千語に匹敵する. Behold!

[Image: UACxaP5.png]
[Image: EBlTbu5.png]
[Image: HATxSyb.png]

Indeed, dreams can come true. Today I have in fact joined THE 7 DIGIT CLUB!!1000000!!

If you haven't figured it out already, the 7DC is home to only the most elite and jouzu individuals. Once you are part of this glorious society, you can scoff at all other lesser fools who believe that proficiency can be measured outside of Anki numbers. Fact: no one has ever learned Japanese proficiently, not even the Japanese themselves, until Anki came along. Yes I know this is common sense but you'd be surprised how many people believe otherwise.

Now you may be wondering, what is the entry requirement? Having accomplished the great feat of ONE MILLION reviews in Anki. You too can achieve greatness and join the 7DC. I await all other fellow great individuals! Please include photo proof (because doctoring photos is impossible).

Current Members (Join Date):
karageko (06/12/2017)
Edited: 2017-06-12, 6:54 am
[Image: 40409.jpg][Image: qlxBnASxAN35_JMRPT94NZA37BgpvxveC1WzjUjF...bIl9c=w300]

May I call you 師匠?
(2017-06-12, 7:03 am)Splatted Wrote: May I call you 師匠?

I grant you the privilege, my young 弟子.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
I think most people lost or deleted their decks at some point so there's no way to know. I'm one of them but I probably didn't reach it because I do not average 400 something reviews a day...
(2017-06-12, 9:22 am)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: I think most people lost or deleted their decks at some point so there's no way to know. I'm one of them but I probably didn't reach it because I do not average 400 something reviews a day...

So it turns out the review count is preserved even if you delete cards and stuff so I think as long as your Anki profile is synced to Ankiweb or something the review counts are kept (?). This might not apply to deleting decks though.

My actual average review count these days is around 250~/day but it shows a 400~/day average because around 4 years back I was doing absurd review loads like 1000-1300/day. It's crazy for me of all people to say this since Anki is the running joke of my life but I don't think I can ever do that much Anki ever again. もうへたばった。
(2017-06-12, 6:47 am)karageko Wrote: 諸君全員, today marks a lifetime milestone for yours truly. No I didn't pass JLPT N1. No I didn't reach some dumb J-CAT score. No I don't work in radio while possessing a big fancy 漢検1級 certificate. I have no need for useless quantitative measurements of supposed Japanese proficiency to ease my non-existent insecurities and convince myself that I am indeed "jouzu" as I often hear upon belting out an ohayooo gozaaiieeemassooo.

No, today I have achieved something much greater than that. As they say, 一枚の絵は一千語に匹敵する. Behold!

[Image: UACxaP5.png]
[Image: EBlTbu5.png]
[Image: HATxSyb.png]

Indeed, dreams can come true. Today I have in fact joined THE 7 DIGIT CLUB!!1000000!!

If you haven't figured it out already, the 7DC is home to only the most elite and jouzu individuals. Once you are part of this glorious society, you can scoff at all other lesser fools who believe that proficiency can be measured outside of Anki numbers. Fact: no one has ever learned Japanese proficiently, not even the Japanese themselves, until Anki came along. Yes I know this is common sense but you'd be surprised how many people believe otherwise.

Now you may be wondering, what is the entry requirement? Having accomplished the great feat of ONE MILLION reviews in Anki. You too can achieve greatness and join the 7DC. I await all other fellow great individuals! Please include photo proof (because doctoring photos is impossible).

Current Members (Join Date):
karageko (06/12/2017)

congratulations for your akievement!

Do all your cards look like that or you have other formats too?

How is your listening ability? Given the audio of that card would you understand it?
(2017-06-12, 10:17 am)cophnia61 Wrote: congratulations for your akievement!

How is your listening ability? Given the audio of that card would you understand it?

Basically all my personally made vocab cards look like that now; my earlier cards from a few years ago would only highlight a single word to test but I get too lazy to read the whole sentence usually and so I would fail some cards over and over again because I ignored all the context around it. After I started including more context to highlight some words got a lot easier. I used to have a kind of strict mindset of "I don't know the word unless I know it in isolation" but I loosened up on it a lot later on because I can think of a bunch of words in English I would only ever use in specific phrases or with other specific words. Pretty much all my vocab cards are from sentences extracted out of fictional novels or the like.

I have some differently formatted cards for Core2k/6k, RTK, Japanese Grammar, and Japanese Geography. My personal vocab deck far outweighs all of the other decks though, clocking in at over 15k cards.

My listening ability is way way behind; no way I would be able to understand the card from audio only. Back in the day I used to have audio cards based off Core2k/6k but those were way too time consuming and didn't feel like it was really worth the effort (those weren't particularly difficult audio cards because well, it's Core). Neglecting listening skills is practically a cliche now though for people self-studying Japanese though so nothing new here I guess.
Edited: 2017-06-12, 11:33 am
(2017-06-12, 10:45 am)karageko Wrote:
(2017-06-12, 10:17 am)cophnia61 Wrote: congratulations for your akievement!

Basically all my personally made vocab cards look like that now; my earlier cards from a few years ago would only highlight a single word to test but I get too lazy to read the whole sentence usually and so I would fail some cards over and over again because I ignored all the context around it. After I started including more context to highlight some words got a lot easier. I used to have a kind of strict mindset of "I don't know the word unless I know it in isolation" but I loosened up on it a lot later on because I can think of a bunch of words in English I would only ever use in specific phrases or with other specific words. Pretty much all my vocab cards are from sentences extracted out of fictional novels or the like.

I have some differently formatted cards for Core2k/6k, RTK, Japanese Grammar, and Japanese Geography. My personal vocab deck far outweighs all of the other decks though, clocking in at over 15k cards.

My listening ability is way way behind; no way I would be able to understand the card from audio only. Back in the day I used to have audio cards based off Core2k/6k but those were way too time consuming and didn't feel like it was really worth the effort (those weren't particularly difficult audio cards because well, it's Core). Neglecting listening skills is practically a cliche now though for people self-studying Japanese though so nothing new here I guess.

karageko thanks for your answer! Yeah, you're right about listening comprehension and self-study, I'm on the same boat ._.
i don't think i did nearly as many reviews as you did but after a while that traditional format was not cutting it for me (ineffective, too taxing, etc) and i switched to cloze-deletion format where i have the sentence and the definition on the front and blank out part of the word/definition or both.

Also I'm curious if you have plans to stop adding to anki one day or if it'll be a lifetime commitment. lol. I was wondering about this myself because I have multiple decks for japanese in different formats (10,000 card one, 3000 card one, and 2000? card one). Sometimes I'll look up something but not add it to anki because it's not worth adding. And as much as I advance in Japanese there's always going to be stuff to be learned and i feel obligated to make anki cards because i know it's so easy to learn/remember/retain and nowadays my anki card generating process is more streamlined and efficient (I wish i figured this out sooner).
(2017-06-12, 6:14 pm)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: i don't think i did nearly as many reviews as you did but after a while that traditional format was not cutting it for me (ineffective, too taxing, etc) and i switched to cloze-deletion format where i have the sentence and the definition on the front and blank out part of the word/definition or both.

Also I'm curious if you have plans to stop adding to anki one day or if it'll be a lifetime commitment. lol. I was wondering about this myself because I have multiple decks for japanese in different formats (10,000 card one, 3000 card one, and 2000? card one). Sometimes I'll look up something but not add it to anki because it's not worth adding. And as much as I advance in Japanese there's always going to be stuff to be learned and i feel obligated to make anki cards because i know it's so easy to learn/remember/retain and nowadays my anki card generating process is more streamlined and efficient (I wish i figured this out sooner).

I tried cloze-deletion for a bit but the demand for really good context was a bit too high for me to actually know what to fill in properly at times even though all my cards are sentences (even if I would only cloze out one kanji in a jukugo at a time for instance). So I copped out and just switched to highlighting the word I was testing in the context of the sentence. Although, clozing with definitions on the front as well is an interesting idea I never considered.

I keep telling myself NO MORE ADDING and then the dark miserable beast that lurks inside of me rears it head and then before I know it I've spent a whole day doing nothing but adding cards (I might make a separate thread or video of this process because I've been asked several times what i do and it's sort of clunky to explain but I don't think it will have much utility for people since it relies on a script I coded and never released to the public). My process also was extremely inefficient at the beginning but my script really helped streamline my process to make it faster.

This whole thread was supposed to be a joke except people started asking me questions seriously so oh well now it's become almost a language learning log that goes backwards in time even though I purposely intended not to make any language log at all.

I'm going to be frank here and admit I spent way more time on Anki (you guys should be questioning what happened to the real me because these are words of TREASON, treason I tell you!!!) than I ever should have and I really don't spend enough time going through native materials so my reading speed is still frustratingly slow for me and my ability to parse sentences correctly still feels weak; it's ridiculous to the point where I have a ton of pre-mined cards I made more than 2 years ago of novels that I haven't even peeked into yet. My current plan I've been going with is to keep the new cards/day low enough (5 or 10) so the review count doesn't increase significantly but so that I have a steady source of new vocab regardless of how much I read, and then to actually get off my ass and read things. I still fail to do the latter though so woe is me I suppose.

Not reading is all on me though; my lame excuse is that I prioritized my undergrad studies (computer science) which were way busier than anyone I knew outside of my school so my baseline minimum was to keep up with Anki and maintain a somewhat steady flow of new cards even if I didn't manage to get around to reading outside of vacations. I know that if I really put my mind to it and kept my life organized well during those years I could have gotten in a steady flow of reading as well though. I officially am no longer a student anymore (a few days ago I graduated from my masters program) and won't be for a while (if ever) so no more excuses.

I guess I might make a separate thread to detail my journey or something if people are actually interested. I kind of figured I wouldn't have all that much to contribute to what people already have told about themselves so I never saw the value in doing so. My whole story would just be like the trials and tribulation on someone who spent an absurd amount of time on Anki and not reading... and ended up being fairly mediocre as one might expect. It's not a story I'm remotely proud of or particularly happy about.

But uh, yeah the 7DC is totally legit and jouzu yo, or something. Definitely not self-serving as the only currently known member of it.
Edited: 2017-06-12, 6:55 pm
(2017-06-12, 6:54 pm)karageko Wrote: But uh, yeah the 7DC is totally legit and jouzu yo

It's 超上手. Or 超手, as the 若者 like to say.

新武勇伝、おめでとう!!
I hope to join you one day! This is amazing. I think I'm more impressed about you sticking with anki for so long and consistently. bless you.
(2017-06-12, 6:54 pm)karageko Wrote: I guess I might make a separate thread to detail my journey or something if people are actually interested. I kind of figured I wouldn't have all that much to contribute to what people already have told about themselves so I never saw the value in doing so. My whole story would just be like the trials and tribulation on someone who spent an absurd amount of time on Anki and not reading... and ended up being fairly mediocre as one might expect. It's not a story I'm remotely proud of or particularly happy about.

I've been reading all the language logs, so I'd read yours as well. I've found writing one helps me keep myself on track; I got sick of having nothing in the output portions of my log, for instance, which helped push me to doing more. I also use it to write a bit about what I'm reading or watching, since I never came up with any fancy tricks or tools of my own to share with people.

Not pushing you to either decision, just throwing my thoughts out there.

I'm only a fifth of the way to getting my 7DC membership... It'll probably only take me ten more years or so to get the badge that says I'm jouzu (chouzu? I'm not hip like that).
Edited: 2017-06-12, 9:16 pm
From some fushigi mystery corner of IRC...

Code:
[22:02:36] <karageko> ikorean: how can anyone take this post seriously
[22:03:06] <karageko> this post literally has in the third sentence " I have no need for useless quantitative measurements"
[22:03:22] <karageko> and proceeds to talk about how great anki reviews is as a quantitative measurement

[22:11:41] <karageko> Well I'm flattered that people are reacting so positively to this joke of a thread I guess
[22:12:45] <ikorean> wait you actually intend to learn japanese?
[22:12:48] <ikorean> and read?
[22:12:50] <ikorean> notrad*
[22:12:50] <karageko> no
[22:12:52] <karageko> it's a lie
[22:12:53] <ikorean> notread*
[22:12:56] <karageko> DON'T BELIEVE THE LIES
[22:13:03] <karageko> someone hijacked that account clearly
Edited: 2017-06-12, 9:37 pm
Please make a thread about your journey to becoming a member of the 7DC. And write in great detail! ^^
karageko has transcended.

Honestly at this point, I don't see any reason in continuing my own language study, I should instead put my time into creating tailored, heavily optimised decks for our new overlord.
Lol, that's hilarious. It never occurred to me to count how many reviews I'd done. But I checked and I'm currently at 214,669.

What's amazing to me is just how effective anki is at helping with retention.
I am very disappointed that no one else has stepped up to the plate to join this glorious society.
Edited: 2017-06-13, 11:00 pm
I bow before u karageko!!! I was going to say you must have been one of the first to use anki  but I looked at my deck and its the same age. It has a grand total of 67,000* reviews. wOOt!!!!!  Big Grin

* My kanji deck was deleted so not included in the totals. I guess +20,000 reviews for the missing stuff
Edited: 2017-06-13, 11:17 pm