Back

Any suggestion about cloze deletion cards?

so now after studying about 5400 e-j and j-j sentences cards I'm considering trying cloze deletion cards to use them alongside my sentences deck. mostly because I think they'll be more useful for mastering speaking and writing.
as I'm completely inexperienced with such cards I'm looking for suggestions about what should I aim for? how should my cloze deletion cards look like? and what are the most time-efficient ways for making them?
I'm hoping for complete j-j cards or at least using as little English as possible.
sorry for my poor English
thanks everyone
well you gotta experiment to see what works best for you.

I've done variations of clozing out a single syllable for long-ass words, putting definition and word/sentence on front and blanking out part of the definition or part of the word or part of the definition and part of the word. you could put a sentence or a paragrph on the front and blank stuff out. there is an anki plugin for cloze deletion but i don't use that anymore because I find it more efficient to mass import after formatting stuff with excel and notepad.
Edited: 2017-06-09, 8:42 pm
I find cloze deletion cards very effective but they are a little hard to make, because there could be many possible answers to a single cloze deletion card. The hard part is to make them unambiguous :/
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
I'm just kickstarting (again) my vocabulary, so clearly not at your level, but I've been using delvinlanguage.com for some time now and I'm really loving the way they do it, which is helping both my vocabulary and my listening: you watch (and, more importantly, listen to) a short video excerpt; then you are shown the transcript with one of the words clozed and asked to fill in pronunciation and meaning for it. I also add one more step: while pressing enter to input the answer, I close my eyes before it's shown and try to produce by heart the word in kanji form.

One of the strongest points of this format is being shown a different video (and, logically, a different clozed transcript) each time you're being tested for the word in question (well, to be honest, at present a non-negligible amount of words have just one video for them, and most of them have only three or so, but I never felt like I was remembering the word only because of the context).
Another good point is the lack of ambiguity because you've heard the exact word you need to produce.

I thought about what would be needed to do the same in anki and, while perfectly doable in theory (read here, for instance, how you could use javascript to randomize the video and sentence chosen for the front of any given card), both bootstrapping such a deck and specially creating its cards (I guess srs2anki-like software would be of some help) would be an incredibly huge PITA... not to mention the amount of storage needed because of the videos (which could be shared by several cards, but yet...)
This is not even a month old, so I think I'm below the Zombie Thread Threshold (the "Zombie Threadshold"?)...

I'm about two weeks into experimenting with cloze cards after one previous failed attempts and many years of resistance. I really enjoy them. As cophnia61 has said, making yourself produce the word really does seem to make it "stick" better.

I'm following advice commonly given by SomeCallMeChris, and mostly sticking to short, pithy sentences. I have a few somewhat longer ones, but nothing that goes much above 20-30 words. These are easier to practice and keep reviews short, but they're also easier to capture. Even if I'm reading a physical book, I can write down an interesting sentence in about 20-30 seconds. I try as much as possible to just enter interesting sentences directly into Anki to save time.

For the hint, I sometimes fill it in in advance, and sometimes wait until the word comes up as a new card; the latter saves time, and helps distribute the load. Most of my hints right now are J-J, either with definitions grabbed from 大辞林 via Yahoo!, or a synonym from thesaurus.weblio.jp.

I'm finding that a lot of what I'm capturing are not obscure, new, colorful vocab terms. Most of what I add are:
  • Words that I know, but wouldn't necessarily know how to use, or that just aren't a part of my activated vocabulary.
  • Words that I know, but are used in a different way than I'm used to. E.g., I'm sure I've seen the usage of 回る referring to time, such as in the following:

下駄箱に着くと、夕方六時を回っているというのに、まだまだ張り切っている太陽の下で頑張る運動部員たちの声が聞こえてきた。

I'd be damned if I could use this in writing/speaking instinctively, however, so I've added it to the deck to help reinforce this usage and make it my own. 
  • Words I know I've seen many times in the wild, but keep forgetting for some reason. 
  • Grammar for N1 captured from 日本語の森. 
So I guess my advice for keeping things light is: 
  • Use short-to-medium sentences. 
  • Go for vocab/grammar you want to use; don't try and catalog every obscure term. 
  • Use Anki/cloze to supplement extensive reading and listening, not replace it. 
(2017-07-07, 3:03 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: I'm about two weeks into experimenting with cloze cards after one previous failed attempts and many years of resistance.

The honeymoon phase is great and wonderful but when you get really high intervals, like 10+ months or so, that's when you begin to hate yourself and try to find ways to salvage all of the effort you put into making them. I still use them for certain grammar points and habitual particle mistakes, but I converted most of mine to "openz" which just means I have the part that used to be clozed highlighted instead. (The Anki code is something like {{c1:: 学校[がっこう]::学校}} for anyone curious.)

I also devote very little of my total time to Anki itself so that is definitely a bias I have. I'd rather get my daily reps done faster and get back to native materials than spend extra time on each Anki card.
(2017-07-08, 5:31 am)tokyostyle Wrote:
(2017-07-07, 3:03 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: I'm about two weeks into experimenting with cloze cards after one previous failed attempts and many years of resistance.

The honeymoon phase is great and wonderful but when you get really high intervals, like 10+ months or so, that's when you begin to hate yourself and try to find ways to salvage all of the effort you put into making them. I still use them for certain grammar points and habitual particle mistakes, but I converted most of mine to "openz" which just means I have the part that used to be clozed highlighted instead. (The Anki code is something like {{c1:: 学校[がっこう]::学校}} for anyone curious.)

This matches pretty much my experience with clozes.
(2017-07-08, 5:31 am)tokyostyle Wrote: I also devote very little of my total time to Anki itself so that is definitely a bias I have. I'd rather get my daily reps done faster and get back to native materials than spend extra time on each Anki card.

Completely agreed. It's why I'm only adding five cards/day and not really worrying if they run out. My goal is to keep Anki usage limited to 15 minutes/day.