Hi everyone!

JLPT's coming up, and I wanted to get some more practice with numbers, especially when hearing. Do you guys have any good resources for this? Doesn't matter if it a workbook, youtube video, app or whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, this is not one of those infamous "need help with confusing counters" posts but more like hearing in a conversation which day or amount of money was mentioned. Especially long numbers are hard on me.

For some reason, my hearing's quite ok but numbers always pass me. How did you guys get it down?

Any help is much obliged,

shaggadelyc
well, I made an android app a few years ago: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai....Kikisuuji
Might be of some help.
@Zarxrax: I was going to create such an app too because I need also to practice numbers but your app is already perfect : numbers, dates, time. That's really good work. Thank you very much.
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
Everyone has trouble with numbers. Listening to a lot of news helps, IMO.
(2017-06-09, 10:23 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: Everyone has trouble with numbers. Listening to a lot of news helps, IMO.

I also think so but there is not enough number in the news.  Angel I really think that drilling a bit to become able to instantly "imagine" the number is best. (I like drilling)

@Zarxrax: I would have a suggestion. Could it be possible to store temporarily the numbers read between the time we press start and the time we press stop so that it is possible to use it as a quizz test rather that hiding the number and quickly checking afterwards. May it is asking a bit too much be would you agree to make your application open source?
(2017-06-09, 1:05 pm)Lithrein Wrote:
(2017-06-09, 10:23 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: Everyone has trouble with numbers. Listening to a lot of news helps, IMO.

I also think so but there is not enough number in the news.  Angel 

There's quite a few in reports on the stock market. However, I've been ridiculed for suggesting this as a source of practice before so I'll shut up now  Tongue
(2017-06-09, 1:05 pm)Lithrein Wrote: @Zarxrax: I would have a suggestion. Could it be possible to store temporarily the numbers read between the time we press start and the time we press stop so that it is possible to use it as a quizz test rather that hiding the number and quickly checking afterwards. May it is asking a bit too much be would you agree to make your application open source?

I might be able to do something like that, but I'm not sure, and I'm a little busy recently. There's not really any source code to speak of, as i created this in MIT App Inventor, which is is a sort of "app by flowchart" tool.
Thank you for your answer. Do as you can.
(2017-06-08, 4:14 pm)Zarxrax Wrote: well, I made an android app a few years ago: https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai....Kikisuuji
Might be of some help.

Thats great, exactly what I was looking for.
Its working great on my tablet, but for some reason on my phone the numbers are output (i.e., spoken) in english. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Thanks for the stock market tip too! At the moment I just need to get the basics down a bit more and I guess then I can try that Smile
Edited: 2017-06-11, 9:20 am
@shaggadelyc: I don't know how the "number to speech" part is done but if it has been automated through the built-in TTS you might just try to change the default language of your tablet.
Stupid question but I downloaded the app and it reads the numbers in English. Is this supposed to be production or is something wrong. I was expecting number recognition.

Also it just reads the numbers i.e. 2時42分 becomes "two forty two."
(2017-06-12, 1:45 am)Splatted Wrote: Stupid question but I downloaded the app and it reads the numbers in English. Is this supposed to be production or is something wrong. I was expecting number recognition.

Also it just reads the numbers i.e. 2時42分 becomes "two forty two."

That was just mentioned in the posts above yours. I'm not sure what would be causing it. It has worked fine on my devices and I never heard of this issue until it was just mentioned above. The TTS voice is explicitly set to Japanese, so I'm not sure why it might not be working. There's a possibility that it might need to download some data for the Japanese voices, so make sure you have wifi or internet connection on your device. That's all I can guess. My devices are all set to english as the system language, but it plays the voices in Japanese as it should.

Edit: now that I have thought about it some more, I do actually recall this exact issue happening when I installed the app on a second device. It was in English at first, and I was quite confused as to why. I quit messing with it and then tried it a few hours later, and suddenly it was playing in Japanese. So I suspect that some download of voice data might have to occur, which should happen automatically.
Edited: 2017-06-12, 4:30 pm
guess I'll just leave it installed and try again later.
A very simple drill I have done in the past and occasionally still do (less time for playing these days) is playing JRPGs.

The drill part is that in battle you need to be a little disciplined and say all the numbers aloud. In something like Dragon Quest every battle throws lots of numbers at you - your hit-points on every enemy, theirs on all your team members at every turn and then experience points gold etc, plus all the stat changes when any character levels up.

I wrote an article on this method which you can find here.

Honestly, RPGs could have been made for number drill.
You could also ask Siri about random numbers XとYの間の乱数ジェネレーター , stock prices 株価, multiplication XかけY, distance between locations, dates, etc...
>> the poor man's number drill.
or maybe watching commercials when something gets on sale 発売, like for dvd's or games or special edition hamburgers...
(2017-06-14, 11:17 am)CureDolly Wrote: A very simple drill I have done in the past and occasionally still do (less time for playing these days) is playing JRPGs.

The drill part is that in battle you need to be a little disciplined and say all the numbers aloud.

I've done this! It's great for getting some value out of the repetitive bits.
I found an app a while ago just called "Learn Japanese numbers" which quizzes numbers in various ways.