Back

Interesting furigana insertion tool in MS Word...

I discovered this yesterday and thought I'd pass it along (sorry if it's already been mentioned in this forum).

In MS Word if you highlight Japanese text in a Word document and then click on the "phonetic guide" toolbar button (you may need to manually add this button to the toolbar) MS Word inserts furigana over each kanji.  There is a way of flipping the furigana to be underneath the kanji but I won't go into it here.  The function works whether the Japanese text is horizontal or vertical.

One thing I haven't figured out yet is why the function doesn't work in some cases (e.g., where I saved a .pdf document as an MS Word document).
Edited: 2017-06-07, 7:26 am
OK, now figure out how to HIDE furigana in MS Word. Hide, not to delete or get rid of it. I'd appreciate it a lot.
(2017-06-07, 11:05 am)buonaparte Wrote: OK, now figure out how to HIDE furigana in MS Word. Hide, not to delete or get rid of it. I'd appreciate it a lot.

You could always save a separate version of the MS Word document "without furigana" then delete the furigana.  You can delete the furigana by first pressing ALT-F9 to display the coding, then delete the furigana parts. I'm not sure how to do that all at once to all the furigana though.

OR maybe you could hide the furigana by doing ALT-F9 to display the coding, then find and replace the font color of the furigana from black or whatever to white. I tried that though and couldn't make it work.
Edited: 2017-06-07, 1:30 pm
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
It's been like forever since I last used MS Word and you don't mention what version you have, so please go easy on me if I say something misleading or plainly wrong, but have you tried to do something like this and replace all the hpsXX codes to something nearly invisible? (I'd try things like hps00, hps04, hps4, etc) Or, alternatively, have you tried to alter one of the furigana texts to white color, display the codes again to see what changed and try to replicate them (by performing a substitution across the whole document) for the rest of the furigana segments? Hope this helps somehow

Edit: sorry, I'm saying more or less the same thing as phil321 did, hadn't read his answer carefully enough
Edited: 2017-06-07, 9:52 pm
(2017-06-07, 9:50 pm)faneca Wrote: It's been like forever since I last used MS Word and you don't mention what version you have, so please go easy on me if I say something misleading or plainly wrong, but have you tried to do something like this and replace all the hpsXX codes to something nearly invisible? (I'd try things like hps00, hps04, hps4, etc) Or, alternatively, have you tried to alter one of the furigana texts to white color, display the codes again to see what changed and try to replicate them (by performing a substitution across the whole document) for the rest of the furigana segments? Hope this helps somehow

Edit: sorry, I'm saying more or less the same thing as phil321 did, hadn't read his answer carefully enough

Doing a find-replacing and changing all the hps's to hps00 makes the furigana so tiny they appear as pinpricks that you can't even read so that does the trick.  Then if you later want to see the furigana again you can change all the hps00's back to hps20.  Thanks for the suggestion.