Back

PC based apps to look up words

Are there any applications I can install on my PC to look up words in Japanese pdf files while I am reading on my PC?  I can scan any Japanese text and OCR it.  Thanks.
KanjiTomo is pretty good. Although it's Java it really only works well for Windows per my experience. If you have Windows I recommend it.

Oh wait, I saw the PDF file and immediately thought of non OCR'd stuff. Well, KanjiTomo could still work but it's actually meant for images rather than actual text. If you have OCR'd text, instead of a PDF file, maybe make it an html document and use rikai-sama or another pop up dictionary. Or Yomichan for straight up txt documents.
Edited: 2017-06-06, 6:11 am
(2017-06-06, 6:08 am)kraemder Wrote: KanjiTomo is pretty good.  Although it's Java it really only works well for Windows per my experience.  If you have Windows I recommend it.

Oh wait, I saw the PDF file and immediately thought of non OCR'd stuff.  Well, KanjiTomo could still work but it's actually meant for images rather than actual text.  If you have OCR'd text, instead of a PDF file, maybe make it an html document and use rikai-sama or another pop up dictionary.  Or Yomichan for straight up txt documents.

Great, thanks!
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
jglossator, syncs up with cap2txt and auto reads words you scan from your clipboard to the JG dictionary,
I have Lingoes; it's a pop-up style dictionary like the Rikais and Yomichan, but is activated by highlighting text.
It doesn't have easy save features, unfortunately, but I've gotten use out of it.

Of course, you could always open your PDFs in your browser and use whatever you use there.
CAPTURE2TEXT is an ocr program. from my experience it works best to do a sentence or two rather than a whole paragraph (for bunko pictures) but anyways experiment.
Edited: 2017-06-08, 10:08 pm
Qolibri. Epwing dictionary so you can use any dictionary you want, or multiple ones at the same time.
Apple has built-in Japanese dictionaries.