Back

nest0r's darkjapanese/ja-dark blogs deleted? any info?

nest0r's sites were suddenly deleted this past weekend:

https://darkjapanese.wordpress.com/

https://ja-dark.tumblr.com/

https://ja-minimal.tumblr.com/

I have been following his website for years and suddenly *POOF*, years worth of content/insight/research/exploration gone w/ no archives anywhere. Does anyone know what happened? Hope he is OK.
Edited: 2017-06-05, 3:35 pm
Well this is such a bummer! I followed their blogs as well. Hopefully someone has information. I hope nest0r is okay. They had some really valuable stuff written.
(2017-06-05, 4:09 pm)comatosebunny Wrote: Well this is such a bummer! I followed their blogs as well. Hopefully someone has information. I hope nest0r is okay. They had some really valuable stuff written.

Agree. A lot of great content.

I had a bunch of tabs open from reading cross references in his post this past Fri/Sat. When I came back to his blog on Sunday, and refreshed the page, everything was GONE. I am still in shock >_< 

I hope it wasn't something serious. Perhaps someone on the Koohii board has closer contact with him and could shoot and email/give him a ring.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
They were interesting blogs, with a lot of useful info on them. But there's always the Wayback Machine, so all is not lost.
(2017-06-06, 3:57 pm)rich_f Wrote: They were interesting blogs, with a lot of useful info on them. But there's always the Wayback Machine, so all is not lost.

Checked already. No archives for his Wordpress site as robots.txt was blocked. Tumblr archives are there, but sparse, as Wayback does a poor job of archiving Tumblr blogs.
Does Tumblr delete tumble logs if the owner didn't log in for 6 or 12 months?

I archived most of ja-minimal and I can re-share if there's interest.
(2017-06-06, 7:23 pm)fkb9g Wrote: I archived most of ja-minimal and I can re-share if there's interest.

There most definitely is interest.

God damnit, I was gonna archive his stuff these holidays. One week to go and I would have archived everything. I'm kicking myself, this is a huge tragedy.  Angry

He's posted here before, so who knows, maybe he'll pop by and tell us why he decided to destroy all our hopes and dreams in one blow. But given the abrupt destruction of his online presence, I wouldn't bet on it.

(2017-06-06, 7:23 pm)fkb9g Wrote: Does Tumblr delete tumble logs if the owner didn't log in for 6 or 12 months?

I doubt that's the issue since he's been actively maintaining and updating his add-on(s) on AnkiWeb.

CJK Scalpel for instance. So grab those while they're still around I guess....
Edited: 2017-06-06, 8:44 pm
ja-dark is in the Google cache (for now).
(2017-06-06, 7:23 pm)fkb9g Wrote: Does Tumblr delete tumble logs if the owner didn't log in for 6 or 12 months?

I archived most of ja-minimal and I can re-share if there's interest.

Please share if you can!

(2017-06-06, 8:38 pm)NinKenDo Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 7:23 pm)fkb9g Wrote: I archived most of ja-minimal and I can re-share if there's interest.

There most definitely is interest.

God damnit, I was gonna archive his stuff these holidays. One week to go and I would have archived everything. I'm kicking myself, this is a huge tragedy.  Angry

He's posted here before, so who knows, maybe he'll pop by and tell us why he decided to destroy all our hopes and dreams in one blow. But given the abrupt destruction of his online presence, I wouldn't bet on it.

I doubt that's the issue since he's been actively maintaining and updating his add-on(s) on AnkiWeb.

CJK Scalpel for instance. So grab those while they're still around I guess....

> God damnit, I was gonna archive his stuff these holidays. One week to go and I would have archived everything. I'm kicking myself, this is a huge tragedy.

Agree it is a huge tragedy. I just hope nest0r is OK. 

I need to start archiving websites once I *start* finding them useful, instead of sometime in the future. 

> He's posted here before, so who knows, maybe he'll pop by and tell us why he decided to destroy all our hopes and dreams in one blow.

He used to be a major player here ... he has 4000+ posts (!!!!!).

> But given the abrupt destruction of his online presence, I wouldn't bet on it.

IDK. I have some hope. He's put years into this stuff and I can't imagine him just ghosting for no reason. Perhaps he'll show up again under a different name.
Edited: 2017-06-07, 5:31 pm
I've posted some of ja-minimal at ja-minimal.nfshost.com.

I'll let you know when the rest is up (hopefully within a week or so).

EDIT: I've posted all of ja-minimal with the caveat that many of the links are broken or omitted. I may work on fixing those links at some point in the future.
Edited: 2017-06-08, 9:48 am

How does one archive websites?
I use HHTrack to archive websites.  It is an open source website copier.  It isn't the friendliest of programs to use, but that is mostly because it has tons of options to deal with different web architectures.  

You can find it at http://www.httrack.com/
(2017-06-07, 10:36 pm)fkb9g Wrote: I've posted some of ja-minimal at ja-minimal.nfshost.com.

I'll let you know when the rest is up (hopefully within a week or so).

EDIT: I've posted all of ja-minimal with the caveat that many of the links are broken or omitted. I may work on fixing those links at some point in the future.

Thx. Anything helps! Still no word from nes0r T_T
Hey guys,

just registered to ask if anyone had possibly saved the AnkiWeb add-ons? I was looking at CJK Scalpel and a few of others ones on my phone just yesterday and it seems like all of them are gone now. Any chance someone could share them (especially CJK, Progress bar, and the answer confirmation thing)? I would really appreciate it.

A real tragedy to see all of these resources disappear so suddenly. I really hope the author is fine.
(2017-06-09, 5:54 pm)srsguy Wrote: Hey guys,

just registered to ask if anyone had possibly saved the AnkiWeb add-ons? I was looking at CJK Scalpel and a few of others ones on my phone just yesterday and it seems like all of them are gone now. Any chance someone could share them (especially CJK, Progress bar, and the answer confirmation thing)? I would really appreciate it.

A real tragedy to see all of these resources disappear so suddenly. I really hope the author is fine.

Jesus Christ....

Dropbox MIrror Here
Edited: 2017-06-09, 9:43 pm
(2017-06-09, 5:54 pm)srsguy Wrote: Hey guys,

In his writing, he came off as a stable person. With this sudden disappearance, I worry ... just hope he is OK.
Edited: 2017-06-10, 12:02 am
I've got the latest versions of all(?) his addons, I think; currently looking for a way to upload them. What's worse: All his decks are gone, too. Sad It's a damn shame. Does anyone have those…?

I was following his stuff religiously because his was the first time someone read the literature and actually put it to really, really solidly good use.

Edit: Link of nest0r's addons in my Anki folder (7z). Included are:

- CJK Scalpel
- Voss
- Allow Drag and Drop into Type Answer Field
- ankiVoid
- Low Key Anki
- No Type Answer Autofocus
- Progress Bar
- Threshold
- Answer Feedback

Edit 2: I just realized I missed the answer feedback thingy; it's been added now.

Edit 3: Added cached versions of the addon webpages for some addons (Low Key Anki, Voss, Threshold, Progress Bar, ankiVoid).
Edited: 2017-06-10, 1:59 am
(2017-06-10, 1:38 am)runiq Wrote: I've got the latest versions of all(?) his addons, I think; currently looking for a way to upload them. What's worse: All his decks are gone, too. Sad It's a damn shame. Does anyone have those…?

I was following his stuff religiously because his was the first time someone read the literature and actually put it to really, really solidly good use.

Edit: Link of nest0r's addons in my Anki folder (7z). Included are:

- CJK Scalpel
- Voss
- Allow Drag and Drop into Type Answer Field
- ankiVoid
- Low Key Anki
- No Type Answer Autofocus
- Progress Bar
- Threshold
- Answer Feedback

Edit 2: I just realized I missed the answer feedback thingy; it's been added now.

Edit 3: Added cached versions of the addon webpages for some addons (Low Key Anki, Voss, Threshold, Progress Bar, ankiVoid).

Thx. This is great. At least we have ja-minimal and Anki add-ons backed up. Hopefully, someone out there has the wordpress blog backed up!

I still hope some older Koohii member has a way to contact nest0r. Just to make sure he is OK!
Edited: 2017-06-10, 6:18 am
(2017-06-09, 9:32 pm)NinKenDo Wrote: Jesus Christ....

Dropbox MIrror Here

(2017-06-10, 1:38 am)runiq Wrote: I've got the latest versions of all(?) his addons, I think; currently looking for a way to upload them.

Thank you both so much! I was afraid these might have been lost forever.

Now to find the deleted decks...
Update => https://ja-dark.tumblr.com/

ja-dark has been taken over by an affiliate marketer selling tools and hardware >_< 

So this means nest0r deleted the blog, and gave up ownership of the ja-dark sub-domain. T_T

Hope he shows his head sometime soon.
I also fetched black-geas.tumblr.com from the Wayback Machine, for what it's worth. I know this is not a forum for learning programming, this is mainly for completion's sake. It's a bit rough around the edges, since WB doesn't really allow fetching whole websites and I had to manually tweak hrefs a bit.

I'll put whatever I could get from Google cache/my Zotero snapshots regarding ja-dark.tumblr.com and darkjapanese.wordpress.com tomorrow.
Top 10 anime betrayals.

You won't believe number 2.
Edited: 2017-06-10, 11:06 am
(2017-06-10, 1:38 am)runiq Wrote: What's worse: All his decks are gone, too. Sad It's a damn shame. Does anyone have those…?

I have ja-dark's 8547 DoJG sentences w/ diagrams deck, plus also what I think is the latest version of their bopomofo/zhuyin fuhao deck -- the updated one w/ fingerspelling pictures. I can share these if anybody would like them.

But yes, it is a shame that they took down all their blogs and Anki add-ons and decks. Sad
(2017-06-10, 7:33 pm)Morellet Wrote:
(2017-06-10, 1:38 am)runiq Wrote: What's worse: All his decks are gone, too. Sad It's a damn shame. Does anyone have those…?

I have ja-dark's 8547 DoJG sentences w/ diagrams deck, plus also what I think is the latest version of their bopomofo/zhuyin fuhao deck -- the updated one w/ fingerspelling pictures. I can share these if anybody would like them.

But yes, it is a shame that they took down all their blogs and Anki add-ons and decks. Sad

People definitely want them.

I believe I have a few of his decks. Not quite sure which ones or where, but I'll track them down on my filesystem.
This has shattered my entire universe. I based my method I had been researching for years on this man's work and now POOF. He has some of the most comprehensive and well-documented research about the Japanese language that I have ever read and this is an absolute loss to the academic world in my view. I am very distraught about this.
Edited: 2017-06-13, 9:48 pm