Back

Language school after N1

Hello everyone,

From what I've heard and found most Japanese Language Schools (JLSs) will prepare their students to the JLPT. Since I have been self-studying my speaking practice (ie. being able to speak without too much blank) is lagging far behind. Therefore, I would have liked to know whether speaking oriented school exist ? In some (Japan) universities there are some courses on business Japanese, work manners, etiquette and all. 

Do you know whether schools that cover those topics exists ?
There are business oriented classes, like the one Akamonkai offers.

Also you could look at programs that are attached to universities, though I suppose that would be kore expensive.
Yamasa seems to have a business-Japanese class too: http://www.yamasa.org/en/programs_jbpp.html (with optional internship!). I suspect their academically-oriented AJSP classes extend beyond N1 level too, though I can't find any evidence of that on the website. Or if you have the cash you can do private 1:1 tuition covering whatever you want...
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
(2017-06-01, 3:11 pm)pm215 Wrote: Yamasa seems to have a business-Japanese class too: http://www.yamasa.org/en/programs_jbpp.html (with optional internship!). I suspect their academically-oriented AJSP classes extend beyond N1 level too, though I can't find any evidence of that on the website. Or if you have the cash you can do private 1:1 tuition covering whatever you want...

Can you get a student visa for 1 on 1, is there a minimum amount of hours per week.
@uchuu: Thank you for your answer I will have a look at Akamondai since I did not heard of it before. As for program attached to universities what do you mean by "kore" expensive? Do you mean "really" expensive? About those programs do you know some universities that offer such programs? (I am going to look around but I would be surprised if there is advertisement about it)

@pm215: Interesting too. Thanks, I will have a look on their offers. (I don't think I can afford 1:1 for their lessons ; except if I can work on the side (which is not possible on standard working visa))

I read the Yamasa page more thoroughly and indeed it seems to cover almost exactly what I am looking for.

@dudeist:
Quote:[font=Meiryo, メイリオ,]As student visas are only issued for courses that run for more than a prescribed total of 6 months. Due to the fact that the length of short courses can be subject to change, it is not possible to apply for a student visa to enroll in a short course on an exclusive basis. Therefore, students coming from overseas who wish to study in short course alone will, in principle, have to apply for a short term/working holiday visa

Note: In 2014, the Japanese government granted exemptions to a group of 67 countries in regards to applying for short term visas; meaning that residents of these countries are better able to enter Japan. 
For further information regarding whether or not you qualify for any of the two visas listed above or if you currently hold or will apply for a different type of visa to those listed above, please contact the admissions department at YAMASA via e-mail at admissions@yamasa.org or via telephone at 81 (0)564-55-8111.[/font]

From http://www.yamasa.org/en/programs_pv.html | Visa Information
Edited: 2017-06-01, 6:53 pm
I make a typo, meant "more" expensive! Phone doesn't autocorrect when I need it to Smile
(2017-06-01, 5:27 pm)Dudeist Wrote: Can you get a student visa for 1 on 1, is there a minimum amount of hours per week.
Interesting question. I'm pretty sure the government has a minimum hours requirement, and it has to be with a language school that's recognized by the government that will do the paperwork. Then whether the school offers 1:1 classes for visa purposes is a different question. I suspect not, because how many students can afford to commit to 6 months of 20 hours of private lessons up front?
(2017-06-02, 2:32 am)pm215 Wrote:
(2017-06-01, 5:27 pm)Dudeist Wrote: Can you get a student visa for 1 on 1, is there a minimum amount of hours per week.
Interesting question. I'm pretty sure the government has a minimum hours requirement, and it has to be with a language school that's recognized by the government that will do the paperwork. Then whether the school offers 1:1 classes for visa purposes is a different question. I suspect not, because how many students can afford to commit to 6 months of 20 hours of private lessons up front?

If you are getting one on one I'd think 20 hours a week would be huge overkill. A lot of group class time could easily be spent on your own. Unless of course your sole goal is conversational practice.
The government isn't going to relax its minimum hours requirement for a student visa just because you think you can study more efficiently. (All a bit hypothetical anyway -- I don't know of any schools that offer visa sponsorship for 1:1 classes.)