Back

Kanji Ryokucha for iPhone & iPad out now!

You may be aware of the Android app I created a couple of years ago -- well this is the new iOS edition.

Kanji Ryokucha is a native client for Kanji Koohii reviewing. Not a replacement for the site, just an extension to enhance the review experience. Its star feature: ability to draw the kanji on the device.

Free and without ads. No strings attached. Get it here.

For those who used the Android app: how is this one different?
- Prettier UI, better user experience
- Learned status of failed kanji is synchronized with the site, which means it will work across devices
- Study phase feature can be switched off (to make failed cards go directly to the red pile)
On the minus side: stroke order animations come from Kanji Alive, which means they're not available for many kanji. This can definitely be improved on a future release.

Enjoy!!!!!

Feel free to make suggestions or report issues.
Congratulations! Didn't expect the app to get approved this quickly. Stickied!
I tried the app. It is very usefull! If I may suggest a small improvement the flip back command under option is not very user friendly (I use it very often, maybe an arrow on the screen will speed up the review). Good work!
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
(2017-05-22, 12:46 am)bisbiglio Wrote: I tried the app. It is very usefull! If I may suggest a small improvement the flip back command under option is not very user friendly (I use it very often, maybe an arrow on the screen will speed up the review). Good work!

Hi bisbiglio, thanks!
I think other people might use other options frequently and it would be hard to keep everyone happy without cluttering the screen... that being said, there is probably a natural place for a flip back button: the white area below -- where the card's front has the flip button.
@bisbiglio: confirming this is coming in the next release, stay tuned
Thank you!!
Kanji Ryokucha for iOS version 1.1.0 is now out with a secure connection to https://kanji.koohii.com
Also: includes the promised 'flip back' button, and fixes a bug that made a weird effect when drawing on some devices (possibly iPads only).

Enjoy!
Thanks!
I'm just playing with the app and it's pretty nice. I'd appreciate a help file explaining all the screens and or a youtube video. It took me a while to figure out that I had to go to the site to add cards (I made a new account to use the app and I don't have any cards started yet). Maybe you could include a link in the app to the webpage to add more cards? Anyway, it's very nice looking. Thanks for the app!
(2017-06-05, 9:12 am)kraemder Wrote: I'm just playing with the app and it's pretty nice.  I'd appreciate a help file explaining all the screens and or a youtube video.  It took me a while to figure out that I had to go to the site to add cards (I made a new account to use the app and I don't have any cards started yet).  Maybe you could include a link in the app to the webpage to add more cards?  Anyway, it's very nice looking.  Thanks for the app!

Hi kraemder, thanks for the feedback!
As you may have realized by now the app is a complement for the site, on which you depend for card and story management. The app was made mostly with already users of the site in mind, but glad to see you creating an account because of it Smile
I will consider your suggestions. Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck on something.
yeah I'm more of a forum member than a user of the kanji studying side of the site. I saw your app and thought I'd take the opportunity to familiarize myself with it and brush up RTK.
Hi all! I've been using the app for a few weeks, and I love it. Super useful and intuitive.

Just today, it stopped working, showing the following error message: 

"Value <!DOCTYPE of type java.lang.String cannot be converted to JSONobject"

Looks like some kind of JSON parse error. Maybe it has to do with the server change that just happened?
@TKlscatter I'm not seeing this error currently. When do you see it? What part of the app? (did you update to 1.1.0 ?)

Finally gave the app a good try.

I really like how well the mobile view of Study page fits in it. In portrait especially the story list extends edge to edge.

TIny suggestion

- For the Study list, in the left pane, I would add the frame number as it is informative.

Minor issue

- The web view inside the app doesn't seem to support the popop (edit keyword). This is likely because the cookies are not maintained somehow ? (forward/backward in study page also requires login). This may not need fixing though since user can open in Safari.
Edited: 2017-06-06, 11:27 am
(2017-06-06, 10:58 am)TKIscatter Wrote: Hi all! I've been using the app for a few weeks, and I love it. Super useful and intuitive.

Looks like some kind of JSON parse error. Maybe it has to do with the server change that just happened?

Like Fabrice, I'm not seeing the issue either. It was probably a temporary server thing and the app didn't handle the scenario very well. Let me know if it happens again and what exactly you were trying to do... thanks!

(2017-06-06, 11:26 am)ファブリス Wrote: @TKlscatter  I'm not seeing this error currently. When do you see it? What part of the app? (did you update to 1.1.0 ?)

I really like how well the mobile view of Study page fits in it. In portrait especially the story list extends edge to edge.

TIny suggestion

- For the Study list, in the left pane, I would add the frame number as it is informative.

Minor issue

- The web view inside the app doesn't seem to support the popop (edit keyword). This is likely because the cookies are not maintained somehow ? (forward/backward in study page also requires login). This may not need fixing though since user can open in Safari.

Yup I can add the frame number to the list items.

As for the study page webview, yeah, it's there mostly to have a peek at your story so I didn't even test much how the web app works in it. You would jump out to safari for more. 
In the context of the app this is the story page for one specific kanji, so navigating away while in the webview doesn't seem right. Maybe in the future this can be replaced with a native screen, with the safari button for the fully fledged site. But work needs to be done on the API for that... Smile
Edited: 2017-06-06, 12:11 pm
(2017-06-06, 11:57 am)porukkusu Wrote:
(2017-06-06, 10:58 am)TKIscatter Wrote: Hi all! I've been using the app for a few weeks, and I love it. Super useful and intuitive.

Like Fabrice, I'm not seeing the issue either. It was probably a temporary server thing and the app didn't handle the scenario very well. Let me know if it happens again and what exactly you were trying to do... thanks!

(2017-06-06, 11:26 am)ファブリス Wrote: @TKlscatter  I'm not seeing this error currently. When do you see it? What part of the app? (did you update to 1.1.0 ?)

TIny suggestion

Minor issue

Yup I can add the frame number to the list items.

As for the study page webview, yeah, it's there mostly to have a peek at your story so I didn't even test much how the web app works in it. You would jump out to safari for more. 
In the context of the app this is the story page for one specific kanji, so navigating away while in the webview doesn't seem right. Maybe in the future this can be replaced with a native screen, with the safari button for the fully fledged site. But work needs to be done on the API for that... Smile

Ah sorry I should've specified - this error is actually occurring in the Android version of the app (I guess this is actually the wrong thread to be posting about this error). I have version 1.6.1 installed, downloaded from here: http://slideme.org/application/kanji-ryokucha

The error pops up whenever I launch the app, and when I attempt to refresh my review status - so it's actually blocking me from doing any reviewing via the app. My account seems to work normally when I access kanji.koohii.com from a browser. 

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, but the same error pops up when I launch it again for the first time - and it seems to still be logged into the same account from before I uninstalled. Weird, I know; plus the 'logout' button doesn't seem to be functioning, though it doesn't trigger any error messages

Thanks for the help!! Let me know if I can provide any additional debug information
Edited: 2017-06-06, 12:33 pm
Oh I understand now. There is a different thread for the Android app Smile
Yes, this is more likely due to the redirection implemented in the site and I hand't checked the Android app. I will take care of it as soon as possible!
Kanji Ryokucha for iOS v 1.2.0 is in the store!

Implements requested features:
* Showing frame number on the card's back and in the study list. Not available for kanji sent to this list on a previous version of the app.
* Dictionary look up for keywords, both on the card's front and back. Long press the keyword to access the Copy and Look up options. The text is not selectable, so if a dictionary look up for the whole keyword doesn't work (ie multi-word keywords), you can copy and then paste on google or whatever.

Also:
Partial support for user defined text size (dynamic type).
Congratulations porukkusu, excellent app. I use it every day. Would have payed for it   Smile
(2017-07-05, 1:30 am)vicmarto Wrote: Congratulations porukkusu, excellent app. I use it every day. Would have payed for it   Smile

Glad to hear! This is how you "pay": rate it in the store Smile
I have 湘 in my study list which is described as Unicode #28248. It would be nice if I could somehow add a useful keyword (like ショウ南) for this kanji. (I suppose this is more an issue with the Kanji Koohi API than with Kanji Ryokucha.)

Thank you for your work on this app. I am very impressed.
(2017-07-05, 3:01 pm)fkb9g Wrote: I have 湘 in my study list which is described as Unicode #28248. It would be nice if I could somehow add a useful keyword (like ショウ南) for this kanji. (I suppose this is more an issue with the Kanji Koohi API than with Kanji Ryokucha.)

Thank you for your work on this app. I am very impressed.

Editing keywords is not available through the app, but you can change them at your whim on the KK site and they will be reflected on the app the next time the card shows up in a review.
Cheers  Cool
Great app! I've been using it and it's a great companion to the site. Thanks for your coding efforts.
I encountered a bug in the iOS app. Here's a summary of what I observed.

1. I logged out and logged back in (with the intention of clearing any app caches).
  2. On the main screen (Review tab selected) the Study tab shows .
  3. When I select the Study tab, I see two rows (bud and volume). The Study tab now shows .
  4. I mark the two Study rows as learned and go back to the main screen. The Failed tab number gets incremented by 1 (not 2 as expected).
I've also had an apparent syncing problem. After reviewing some cards, the sync gets stuck part way and never completes no matter how many times I try the Submit button. (When I press the Cancel button, I get the alert that I have unsubmitted answers.) I am fairly confident it is not a network error as I am able to browse Kanji Koohi from the same device.

I have been using custom keywords and some non-RTK kanji so maybe I created an entry that causes problems.
Edited: 2017-07-08, 12:01 pm
(2017-07-08, 11:57 am)fkb9g Wrote: I encountered a bug in the iOS app. Here's a summary of what I observed.

1. I logged out and logged back in (with the intention of clearing any app caches).
  2. On the main screen (Review tab selected) the Study tab shows .
  3. When I select the Study tab, I see two rows (bud and volume). The Study tab now shows .
  4. I mark the two Study rows as learned and go back to the main screen. The Failed tab number gets incremented by 1 (not 2 as expected).
I've also had an apparent syncing problem. After reviewing some cards, the sync gets stuck part way and never completes no matter how many times I try the Submit button. (When I press the Cancel button, I get the alert that I have unsubmitted answers.) I am fairly confident it is not a network error as I am able to browse Kanji Koohi from the same device.

I have been using custom keywords and some non-RTK kanji so maybe I created an entry that causes problems.

Hi fkb9g,
It's difficult to tell what's going on without the ability to observe that exact scenario. That said, the local DB can occasionally be a bit out of sync with the cloud but it's supposed to correct itself with normal use of the app. For example, it's possible that one of those two cards was in fact already in the red pile, and also showing for study. If you review the red pile and find that both bud and volume show up, then that was probably what happened. Once you submit that review the issue should be gone. 

Other than that, the sure way to go back to normal should be deleting the app, then reinstalling, so the local DB is created from scracth. Normally this shouldn't be necessary and I don't suggest you do it unless the issues really don't go away.

As for syncing getting stuck, that sounds awful -- I never got it nor got any other reports on that. Are you now totally unable to submit your reviews? I wonder what is causing this for you. How may cards are you trying to submit? does that review include any of the non-RTK kanji? If so let me know which ones so I can check whether the app has issues with them.