Back

Counting pages in social media?

For those of you who track your reading, how do you count social media? I'm getting a lot more into using Twitter and Instagram in Japanese, and want to make sure I capture my reading activity. (There's no way I'm stopping to count sentences.)

I was thinking of doing it like subs on TV shows - e.g., one page per every five minutes of concentrated activity. What do others do?
You can do it the tadoku way: by counting the character count (can be done in word) and divide by 400.

# of characters/ 400 = "page"

Hope this helps.
(2017-05-04, 7:51 pm)RawrPk Wrote: You can do it the tadoku way: by counting the character count (can be done in word) and divide by 400.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thought. I do that for online articles using http://www1.odn.ne.jp/megukuma/count.htm. However, copying in that fashion is hard on Twitter, and basically impossible on Instagram. That's why I was thinking a time-based metric would be better. Or I could count "screens" and have them correspond to pages, although that seems even more loosy-goosy.
JapanesePod101
It's not like tweets vary too much in length. You could simply count how many tweets you read.

Or if you want to pursue the time based thing - I've recently installed a tim tracking chrome extension called "web timer" that tracks how much time you spend on various web sites. You could time yourself reading a few tweets to get an average reading speed, then do the math to convert to pages or whatever.
(2017-05-04, 8:16 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:
(2017-05-04, 7:51 pm)RawrPk Wrote: You can do it the tadoku way: by counting the character count (can be done in word) and divide by 400.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thought. I do that for online articles using http://www1.odn.ne.jp/megukuma/count.htm. However, copying in that fashion is hard on Twitter, and basically impossible on Instagram. That's why I was thinking a time-based metric would be better. Or I could count "screens" and have them correspond to pages, although that seems even more loosy-goosy.

Well if you're using chrome on your computer to read articles, twitter and instagram, you can use this chrome addon called Character count. It just requires that you refresh the page after turning on the addon.

If you're using a mobile device, my suggestion would be to save tweets and instagram posts via Pocket app. Then you can copy the content from that app to copy/paste into that character count website you linked. I'm assuming this is the reason why you're having trouble with retrieving the character count for those 2 social media sites.

[EDIT] Using the pocket method imo seems easier than taking a bunch of screenshots because you can go through the tweets/ instagram posts more quickly and delete them just as quick. It also saves up space in your phone from having so many photos.
Edited: 2017-05-04, 9:18 pm