Back

Genki Grammar Alternatives (HELP)

I've had the Genki 1 Text / Workbook / Answer Key for over a year now and have been using my time in other areas, building up my phrases, reviewing Kanji, readings, listening, etc. Simply put, I am finding it so difficult to get into this book and stick to a study plan. 

So my question to all of you beautiful people out there is this : What are some alternatives to Genki and studying grammar? I am open to any and all suggestions. 

P.S: I still plan to get through this but I'm doing it at a snails pace and I am very disappointed in myself.
Tai Kim's Guide for Grammar is good http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/grammar
It also has an associated Anki deck
What do you not like about the genki books? That might make it easier to make suggestions. If consistency with the book is a problem, maybe it might be worth it to find a language course nearby to get you going or find a tutor online (on italki or cafetalk or something similar)?

If it's easier for you to stick to your flashcards, maybe the JALUP decks could be up your alley? You can either buy the anki decks or use their new website Jalup next for the reviews. The decks basically start from zero and try to add one new element per card through sentences. The beginner deck is a bit focused on grammar, from there on it's more vocabulary building (though still some grammar). After the beginner deck (so after 1000 cards) the new elements are introduced in Japanese only. I'd say using them alone would not let you learn the stuff properly, but if you get some other input they are pretty nice. Though of course they are flashcards so there aren't any exercises etc that let's you practice output (same goes for most online guides I'm aware of btw)
JapanesePod101
(2017-05-01, 9:43 pm)fakepearbear Wrote: I've had the Genki 1 Text / Workbook / Answer Key for over a year now and have been using my time in other areas, building up my phrases, reviewing Kanji, readings, listening, etc. Simply put, I am finding it so difficult to get into this book and stick to a study plan. 

So my question to all of you beautiful people out there is this : What are some alternatives to Genki and studying grammar? I am open to any and all suggestions. 

P.S: I still plan to get through this but I'm doing it at a snails pace and I am very disappointed in myself.

I like this book a lot.  It's concise and packs in most of the grammar you need to know.  I used it to review grammar when studying for the N5, and I will go through it again while studying for the N4.

https://www.amazon.ca/Basic-Japanese-Eve...uel+martin
There's also imabi.

If you think you might like something on mobile, I have heard of some people saying Human Japanese is pretty decent. I've never tried it though.