Back

Help preparing for a Japanese exam!

Hello everyone!!

First of all, thank you for being such a nice community. I have always been reading your posts here and I have always found them to be really helpful. Finally I decided to register because I am having some trouble preparing for a Japanese exam that is not JLPT but I need to take for an scholarship in my home country around November. 

The exam consists in a fill in the gaps text and reading aloud a small essay and commenting it with the evaluator.
The following is an example of the first part: 

https://www.eoibd.cat/wp-content/uploads...lengua.pdf

To give some context, I passed N2 last December but I have to admit I am way behind in kanji and vocabulary. And I would also say grammar. I didn't think I would pass the exam, and I did because of the listening part, the rest were very borderline. I have heard that other years people with N3 have failed the exam I have to take and I am afraid it will happen to me too so I decided to study as much as I can before it. 

This is what I am planning to do for studying, but I am posting this here just in case you could give me some advise on how to approach this type of exam or on how to study. Maybe it can also be useful for other people. As it is not JLPT I am a bit lost on how to approach it.

GRAMMAR: review all N2 grammar with shin kanzen master. I didn't use it to prepare N2, and I have heard it is the best, so I hope it can help me. Do you also use anki for grammar? 

VOCABULARY: this is the most difficult part for me. Most of the japanese I know comes for passive learning, so I don't know how to actively learn vocabulary. I was thinking on doing kanzen master N2 too, I don't know if I would have time to start with the N1 one before November.  I'm super lost about how to learn vocabulary. I use anki for kanji, so doing also vocab with it makes me feel overwhelmed, specially if I haven't seen the vocab before, because I keep hitting the again button and kills my motivation. Has anyone used kanzen master for vocabulary? how did it go and how did you use it? 

KANJI: this is by far my weak point. I am very scared because one part of the exam is reading aloud, and I am afraid I won't know a lot of kanjis. I am going through a kanji deck with all jyojo kanji, but I am still on a 80% unseen cards. I hope I can make it. 

LISTENING: I don't really have to do this one so I'm not focusing much on it. 

READING: I was thinking of getting kanzen master too. I'm reading a light novel and thought about adding the vocabulary I didn't know to anki, but it made me not enjoy it as I had to be constantly stopping to add vocab. How do you manage the new vocabulary you learn from reading?

If you read until here thank you so much for your time.

I am wondering if I will have time until november, which level to buy the books and how to approach vocabulary mainly. 

Thank you so much for all your help.
Edited: 2017-04-25, 7:39 am
If you haven't tried it yet, I would recommend nihongonomori.com or their youtube channel.
It should cover everything you need, from listening to vocabulary. Their grammar points doesn't seem exhaustive though.
But japanesetest4you.com should cover the rest.
Avoid studying only from books, try to pay attention to how native speaks so you can have a better grasp of how grammar points are used in different and more or less formal situations. Try to vary your source. You already have a book so I don't think there is a need for more. But I personally like the どんな時どう使う日本語表現文型辞典 and the Dictionnary of Japanese Grammar series.
If you passed N2 you should be ok, the sample test doesn't seem any harder than jlpt.
I support @pied2porc, the sample test does not seem any harder than the grammar part of the JLPT N2. I don't know how much time you will have to fill all the blank but you should not expect more than 20 minutes.

For the vocabulary, I think you can use Core6K or Core10K depending on the amount of free time you have.

Nevertheless, according the sample test you gave, you have to be quite confident on every point of N2 grammar.
Edited: 2017-04-27, 10:41 am
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
Thank you very much for your recommendations, I will definitely try those resources.
Also I feel much better if you also think it only covers N2 because i was freaking out. I think I will focus on reviewing all N2 grammar, and will try learning as much vocabulary as possible.

Thank you