Back

Group Project Request: Shinkanzen Master Grammar N4 (COMPLETED!)

EDIT: Project is complete. Thanks to phil321 who provided a lot of assistance in this. For those interested, the link to the completed spreadsheet will only be shared to those that provide modest proof of ownership of the book from here on out. 

-------------

Required: Modest proof of ownership of the book 新完全マスターズ文法N4 (Shin Kanzen Master Grammar N4). Modest proof can be a photo with your e-mail visible. I can then give editing rights. Otherwise, just message or post a page of sentences you typed up.

Amazon link

Google Spreadsheet

Memrise Course

Purpose: Enter the practice sheet portions of all lessons in SKM N4 to formatted spreadsheet. This will then be used to create a Memrise (or Anki) course.

--------------

Today, I began entering the first 9 lessons of SKM Grammar N4 into a spreadsheet in addition to using that information to create a functional Memrise course. It has taken a number of hours and the results thus far are very promising. The format used works quite well with Memrise's multiple choice and typed in answer SRS. However, I don't wish to expend 50 hours entering the entire book. As such, I'm requesting help to enter the entirety of the book's practice sheets into a spreadsheet for the full course. I estimate this will be about 1,000 questions in total when all is said and done. 

As it's just the practice sheets and not the example sentences, it should not run too afoul of copyright issues as the course would be very difficult without the actual book to complete. If this proves popular, we can continue the project for N3, N2 and even N1.

----------------

Progress (Lesson and User offering to type).

Part 1 - Verb Conjugations

1 - 9: Complete

Part 2 - Semantic Functions

1. Complete
2. Complete
3. Complete
4. Complete
5. Complete
1-5 Test: Complete

6. Complete
7. Complete
8. Complete
9. Complete
10. Complete
1-10 Test. Complete

11. Complete
12. Complete
13. Complete
14. Complete
15. Complete
1-15 Test. Complete

16. Complete
17. Complete
18. Complete
19. Complete
20. Complete
1-20 Test. Complete

21. Complete
22. Complete
23. Complete
24. Complete
25. Complete
1-25 Test. Complete 

Part 3 - Grammar Forms

1. Complete
2. Complete
3. Complete
4. Complete
5. Complete
1-5 Test Complete

6. Complete 
7. Complete
8. Complete
9. Complete
10. Complete
1- 10 Test. Complete

11. Complete
12. Complete
13. Complete
14. Complete
15. Complete
1-15 Test. Complete

Final. Complete

==========

Example submission. I don't number the sentences since they'll be pasted into a spreadsheet. I also modify it to accommodate that these questions will appear individually. So like in Section 1, I put copies of all choices at the end of the sentence. Also, the fourth sentence actually has three entries. There, I repeat the sentence three times, close deleting just one of the questions.

Also, no need to provide answers as those are easy to get from the back of the book when I format the spreadsheet. The biggest issue as always is getting the sentences typed up.

(page number and title)
Page 32 - ~よりー/~ほどーません; ~より~のほう; ~と~とどちら

(section 1 instruction)
1.( )から 一番 いい 物を 選んで ください。

(section 1 questions, no need to provide answers. Note, I type EXACTLY what's in the book, however I add choices at the end.)
日本では 1月と 2月と____が さむいですか。 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
ぼくは 誰____彼女が すきなんだ。 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
わたしは サラさん____日本語が 上手では ありません。 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
A「暑いですね。 わたしは 夏____ 冬のほうが すきですか。」 -- B「そうですか。 わたしは どちらも すきですよ。」 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)

(section 2 instruction)
2.( )から いい ほうを 選んで ください。

(section 2 questions. In this, the selections are within the sentence. Note the use of spaces that match the book).
肉料理と 魚料理と どちらが (好きですね ・ 好きですか)。
わたしは 兄ほど (いそがしいです ・ いそがしくないです)。
わたしの うちでは、 母が (いちばん ・ どれほど) 早く 家を 出ます。
ジュースと お茶と (どちらを ・ どれを) たくさん 飲みますか。
Edited: 2017-06-28, 9:15 am
(2017-04-24, 4:16 am)Nukemarine Wrote: Required: Modest proof of ownership of the book 新完全マスターズ文法N4 (Shin Kanzen Master Grammar N4). Modest proof can be a photo with your e-mail visible. I can then give editing rights.

Amazon link

Google Spreadsheet

Memrise Course

Purpose: Enter the practice sheet portions of all lessons in SKM N4 to formatted spreadsheet. This will then be used to create a Memrise (or Anki) course.

--------------

Today, I began entering the first 9 lessons of SKM Grammar N4 into a spreadsheet in addition to using that information to create a functional Memrise course. It has taken a number of hours and the results thus far are very promising. The format used works quite well with Memrise's multiple choice and typed in answer SRS. However, I don't wish to expend 50 hours entering the entire book. As such, I'm requesting help to enter the entirety of the book's practice sheets into a spreadsheet for the full course. I estimate this will be about 1,000 questions in total when all is said and done. 

As it's just the practice sheets and not the example sentences, it should not run too afoul of copyright issues as the course would be very difficult without the actual book to complete. If this proves popular, we can continue the project for N3, N2 and even N1.

I understand your frustration.  I once set out to put content from a Japanese book (which I bought on Amazon) into an excel spreadsheet to allow sorting etc. and when I realized it would take too long, I emailed the author and asked if it would be possible to obtain the information in the book electronically (I would pay of course) and I got this bitchy answer back.  Basically he said he wouldn't give it to me, I think he was afraid I would share the info. with people.  I was going to say, I don't think there's all that much demand for your crap-ass book but I didn't bother.  In the end I decided not to use his book for study purposes.
(2017-04-24, 10:24 am)phil321 Wrote: I understand your frustration.  I once set out to put content from a Japanese book (which I bought on Amazon) into an excel spreadsheet to allow sorting etc. and when I realized it would take too long, I emailed the author and asked if it would be possible to obtain the information in the book electronically (I would pay of course) and I got this bitchy answer back.  Basically he said he wouldn't give it to me, I think he was afraid I would share the info. with people.  I was going to say, I don't think there's all that much demand for your crap-ass book but I didn't bother.  In the end I decided not to use his book for study purposes.

Yeah, I doubt the authors will share an electronic format of this book. Hopefully though enough people volunteer to make this a short project. There's only about 60 or so pages of 10 to 20 sentences to type up. The end result would be great Anki or Memrise deck that complements the book.

Here's a full submission of a page. I reserved the first five lessons as ones I'll type up. Please volunteer to type up others preferably is this format.

Page 32 - ~よりー/~ほどーません; ~より~のほう; ~と~とどちら

1.( )から 一番 いい 物を 選んで ください。

日本では 1月と 2月と____が さむいですか。 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
ぼくは 誰____彼女が すきなんだ。 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
わたしは サラさん____日本語が 上手では ありません。 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
A「暑いですね。 わたしは 夏____ 冬のほうが すきですか。」 -- B「そうですか。 わたしは どちらも すきですよ。」 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
A「暑いですね。 わたしは 夏より 冬____が すきですか。」 ーー B「そうですか。 わたしは どちらも すきですよ。」 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
A「暑いですね。 わたしは 夏より 冬のほうが すきですか。」 ーー B「そうですか。 わたしは____すきですよ。」 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
この へやは どなりの へや____暑くない。 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
A社の カメラと B社の かめらと ____が べんりかなあ。 A社の かめら のほうが 安いんだけど。。。 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
A社の カメラと B社の かめらと どちらが べんりかなあ。 A社の かめら____が 安いんだけど。。。 (より ・ ほど ・ のほう ・ どちら ・ どちらも)
この くつと あの くつ・・・・わあ、____いいから、きめられないなあ。

2.( )から いい ほうを 選んで ください。

肉料理と 魚料理と どちらが (好きですね ・ 好きですか)。
わたしは 兄ほど (いそがしいです ・ いそがしくないです)。
わたしの うちでは、 母が (いちばん ・ どれほど) 早く 家を 出ます。
ジュースと お茶と (どちらを ・ どれを) たくさん 飲みますか。
トム「ここから 東駅と 西駅と どちらが 近いですか。」 ーー 山田「(西駅が いちばん ちかいです。 ・ 西駅の ほうが 近いです)。」
一週間の 中で (金曜日が ・ 金曜日の ほうが) いちばん きゃくが おおい。
A「メールと 電話と どちらを よく つかいますか。」 -- B「そうですね。 (電話ほど 使いません ・ メールの ほうを よく 使います)。」
トム「この ドラマより きのうの ドラマの ほうが おもしろかったね。」 -- サラ「そうね。 この ドラマは (きのうのほど よくないね ・ きのうのより いいね)。」
Edited: 2017-04-24, 8:01 pm
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
hey did you try capture2text?? (you'd have to take a pic then use capture2text on the pic) if it works it will save you time.
Edited: 2017-04-24, 8:48 pm
Page 34 - ~ながらー; ~ところです; ~までー・~までにー

1.( )の 中の 言葉を 正しい 形に して、 書いて ください。

兄は「うん、うん」と____ながら、わたしの 話を 聞きました。 (言う)
A「あれ?まだ 仕事が あるの?」 -- B「いえ、今____ところです。」 (帰る)
もしもし、今、駅に 向かって____ところです。あと 5,6分で 着きます。 (歩く)
けん「お母さん、ばんご飯、まだ?」 -- 母「今____ところよ。もう 少しで 食べられるよ。」 (作る)
コンサートが____ところですね。人が たくさん 会場から 出てきましたよ。 (終わる)
わたしは 日本に____まで ドイツに 住んで いました。 (来る)

2.一番 いい 物を 選んで ください。

子どもは____学校の ことを 話した。 (なきながら ・ 立ちながら ・ 大きい 声を 出しながら)
あの いすに____話しましょう。 (すわって ・ すわりながら ・ すわる ところです)
雨が____から、タクシーで 行きましょう。 (ふって ・ ふって いる ・ ふった ところだ)
この シャツの クリーニング、土曜日____できますか。 (から ・ まで ・ までに)
リーさんは この ニュースを もう____でしょうか。 (知る ところ ・ 知って いる ・ 知って いる ところ)
試験が____教室に 入って ください。 (始まる ところ ・ 始まって ・ 始まるまでに)
Page 36 - ~ませんか; ましょう(か)

1.( )の 中の 言葉を 正しい 形に して、 書いて ください。

A「どこかで お茶を____ませんか。」 -- B「そうですね。あの 店に 入りましょう。」 (飲む)
A「どこかで お茶を 飲みませんか。」 -- B「そうですね。あの 店に____ましょう。」 (入る)
A「これから 花見に 行くんですが、Bさんも____ませんか。」 ーー B「あ、今日は ちょっと。。。。」 (行く)
トム「サラ、いそがしい? ____か。」 -- サラ「うん、ありがとう。」 (手伝う)
A「あそこに____ましょうか。」 -- B「そうですね。そう しましょう。」 (すわる)
A「あそこに すわりましょうか。」 -- B「そうですね。そう____ましょう。」 (する)

2.( )から いい ほうを 選んで ください。

A「駅まで 行くんですか。じゃ、車で (送りませんか ・ 送りましょうか)。」 -- B「ありがとうございます。」
トム「この 本、おもしろかったよ。 (読んで みない? ・ 読んで みようか。)」 -- サラ「うん、読んで みる。」
サラ「かさが ないの? この かさを (貸さない? ・ 貸そうか。)」 -- トム「ありがとう。」
A「日曜日、いっしょに 海へ 行きませんか。」 -- B「いいですね。どうやって (行きませんか ・ 行きましょうか)。」 -- A「車で 行きませんか。運転しますよ。」 -- B「車が あるんですか。じゃ、そう しましょう。」
A「日曜日、いっしょに 海へ 行きませんか。」 -- B「いいですね。どうやって 行きましょうか。」 -- A「車で 行きませんか。運転しますよ。」 -- B「車が あるんですか。じゃ、そう (しませんね ・ しましょう)。」
A「行き方は わかりますか。地図を かきましょうか。」 -- B「ええ、 (かきましょうか ・ かいて ください)。」
A「いい 天気ですね。少し さんぽしませんか。」 -- B「そうですね。 (さんぽしましょう ・ さんぽして ください)。」
Finished with lesson 10 (page 50). Still going. Anyone interested in helping?
I am interested in helping.  I picked up this book last week.  I'll probably start working on it this Saturday with Lessons 16-20.
Wow. Thanks machin. That will help a lot. Here's an example from Lesson 14

Page 62 ~たらー; ~ばー・~ならー; ~とー

練習1.( )の 中の 言葉を 正しい 形に して、 書いて ください。

1.おさけを ____ら、運転しないで ください。 (飲む)
2.今日 ぜんぶ 仕事が ____ら、あしたも つづきを します。 (終わる)
3.家が ____ば、そうじが たいへんです。 (広い)
4a.めがねを ____ば、新聞が 読めますが、 かけなければ、ぜんぜん 読めません。 (かける)
4b.めがねを かければ、新聞が 読めますが、 ____ば、ぜんぜん 読めません。 (かける)
5.天気が ____ば、ここから 富士山が 見えます。 (いい)
6.日曜日の ____なら、時間が あります。 (午後)
7.この どうぐが ____と、べんりです。 (ある)
8.休み時間が ____と、ゆっくり やすめません。 (短い)

練習2.一番 いい ものを 選んで ください。

1.いい アイディアが ____、教えて ください。 (あると ・ あったら ・ あって)
2.トム「すみません、ゆうびんきょくは どこですか。」 -- 女の 人「ここを まっすぐ ____、右に まがると、あります。」 (行くと ・ 行って ・ 行く とき)
3.この こうえんは、春に なると、____。 (さくらが きれいです ・ さくらを 見ましょう ・ さくらが みたいです)
4.説明を よく 読めば、すぐ ____。 (答えて ください ・ 答えますよ ・ 答えが わかりますよ)
5.勉強を がんばれば、____。 (いい てんが とれます ・ 後で あそびます ・ 大学に 入りたいです)
6.まんがを ____、この ぺんを つかいます。 (かいたら ・ かくと ・ かくとき)
Almost done. Thanks to Phil321 for doing Part 3 Lessons 1 through 5. Only three sections left (Part 2 lessons 16 through 20, and Part 3 Lessons 6 through 15).
(2017-06-19, 12:43 am)Nukemarine Wrote: Almost done. Thanks to Phil321 for doing Part 3 Lessons 1 through 5. Only three sections left (Part 2 lessons 16 through 20, and Part 3 Lessons 6 through 15).

You're welcome!  Glad to help!
Another section down. I'll do part 2 lessons 16-20. That and phil321's lessons will be the last of it. After that, a matter of finishing up the spreadsheet then importing into Memrise.

Looking forward to learning this. Turns out while I can read fine, actually knowing the correct grammar term to pick is not there.
Sorry, got side tracked with other projects. Just emailed you lesson 16. 

I can do some more, but I want to confirm which ones you have already started on.

Again, sorry for the delay.
(2017-06-21, 6:40 am)machin Wrote: Sorry, got side tracked with other projects. Just emailed you lesson 16. 

I can do some more, but I want to confirm which ones you have already started on.

Again, sorry for the delay.

Haven't started yet so if you can, feel free to do the set still.
Transcribing is complete. Thanks to those that helped (especially phil321). I'm now formatting the spreadsheet and will finalize the Memrise course.

For now, if you want a link to the completed spreadsheet, just provide modest proof of ownership.

Sometime in the next few weeks, I'll start another group project for the N3, N2 and N1 books. Again, it's my hope there'll be more people able to assist given those books are more popular.
(2017-06-28, 9:11 am)Nukemarine Wrote: Sometime in the next few weeks, I'll start another group project for the N3, N2 and N1 books. Again, it's my hope there'll be more people able to assist given those books are more popular.

I want to help with the N3 book and just sat down and wrote up pages 20 and 21 (which is the review of 文の文法 chapter 1+2)... but, I'm not so sure about the format... I noticed there are furigana everywhere.. did you include them in your writeup or not at all? So far it looks like this: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...TfPjG4CzZw
so I just ignored the furigana. But really not sure if some other format would be better? (I hope sharing this is fine as it's just a small sample of two pages)

edit: I'm stupid I somehow overlooked the example submission in the entry post. Can look into formatting that tomorrow
Edited: 2017-06-28, 7:16 pm
I decided to ignore furigana since it's not compatible with Memrise. Might be a while before I start up a N3 and N2 project, but if others want to start the project instead I won't complain.