Hi all, I've been back on this forum for a while now and have ran in to a dilemma. Thanks to work and school deadlines, I've either been super behind in anki or passing a ton so I could have more manageable reviews. Consequently, I'm falling more when I actually get to study, and have more leeches. I'm also struggling with grammar points I was more solid on a few months ago. 

Do I just keep trucking and adding words (and grammar)  and trust that everything will even out eventuality? Would it be worth restarting? I'm about to leave school, so I'll have more time at home to study.
Unless you have a decent chunk of your decks due, I'd suggest pausing (or drastically reducing) your new cards until you work out your reviews. I restarted before, but I had almost 4000 reviews due from Core, and had forgotten so much that it was just easier to restart.

Some people suggest limiting your reviews per day in cases like this, but I think it's better to just truck through as much as you want for the day.
If I understand your situation correctly I would strongly advise against simply limiting daily reviews and suggest making use of the suspend feature to allow you to focus on what you have time for. The difference is that if you just review what you can today it's quite likely that when those cards next come up they won't be as high priority as some long overdue cards. This cycle repeats itself such that cards rarely get shown when they're actually due and the whole point of the SRS is lost.

If you suspend cards you can't deal with you are able to efficiently review the cards you have time for now and efficiently work through the backlog as you have time later.

As for whether you should just start again I think that's partly a personal decision and depends a lot on what's in the deck and how far you are behind and I can't really tell any of that from your post.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
Oh wow, that post is proof you should not post in bed sleep deprived, haha! Whoops.

Twice now I've worked up to 1k+ due in my core deck and both times I've passed all those cards just to get the deck down to a manageable level. So the SRS aspect is already screwed up. Same with grammar, except more like 200-300 cards due. So I've got cards for both vocabulary and grammar that are credited and scheduled a lot farther out than they should be. I haven't been adding any new cards - these are just reviews of already seen cards. So not quite as bad as 4k, but I've been passing the whole bunch and kind of screwed up the purpose of SRS.
Just keep trucking. Don't add any new cards and answer the cards honestly. The SRS will eventually figure everything out. A big backlog can be demoralizing, but having a backlog isn't really that bad of a thing and the algorithm will schedule the next card at the optimal time regardless. So you don't need to to worry that you need to game the SRS in order to catch up.
(2017-04-21, 1:39 pm)yogert909 Wrote: Just keep trucking.  Don't add any new cards and answer the cards honestly.   The SRS will eventually figure everything out.  A big backlog can be demoralizing, but having a backlog isn't really that bad of a thing and the algorithm will schedule the next card at the optimal time regardless.  So you don't need to to worry that you need to game the SRS in order to catch up.

The problem is that I've already 'okayed' all the backlogged cards, not answering them honestly. Several times, over the past six months, I think. I figure it'll work its way out eventually (even if the not-known-well cards don't show up for another 6 months), but I'm still a bit worried.
I agree that adding new cards is a bad idea. I have been in this situation, and I just spend as much time reviewing as is convenient, and let the SRS do its job. Just ignore the backlog number as much as possible.
Edited: 2017-04-21, 5:11 pm
(2017-04-21, 2:31 pm)nohika Wrote:
(2017-04-21, 1:39 pm)yogert909 Wrote: Just keep trucking.  Don't add any new cards and answer the cards honestly.   The SRS will eventually figure everything out.  A big backlog can be demoralizing, but having a backlog isn't really that bad of a thing and the algorithm will schedule the next card at the optimal time regardless.  So you don't need to to worry that you need to game the SRS in order to catch up.

The problem is that I've already 'okayed' all the backlogged cards, not answering them honestly. Several times, over the past six months, I think. I figure it'll work its way out eventually (even if the not-known-well cards don't show up for another 6 months), but I'm still a bit worried.

Even so, the most efficient method would be to continue as if nothing happened.  You cannot undo the 'falsely Oked' cards.  And they likely don't make up the majority of your deck.

Think about it this way.  What is your current accuracy including the failed cards you OKed anyway?  Say it's X.   So at least X% of your cards are scheduled with an interval where you can answer correctly.  If you continue as if nothing happened, answering honestly, those cards are by definition correctly scheduled.  The cards you honestly fail are set back to zero as if you started over FOR THOSE CARDS ONLY.  So you see, you don't need to decide whether to start over or not for all of your cards.  Anki is making that decision for you on a card by card basis, which is much more efficient than starting over for all of the cards which you can reliably answer correctly.
Another trick I have several times used after falling behind is to create two filtered sub-decks for each deck I'm severely behind on. One is designed to show you only cards that have come due in the last seven days, and the other only to show cards that are more than 7 days overdue. The goal is always to stay current on the "current" deck and work away at the "overdue" deck until it's gone.

The exact instructions that I follow are here:

https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#catching-up

You have to keep manually clicking on "rebuild" every day to get new cards in each of the two decks, but otherwise it's a pretty painless way to eliminate a backlog, even if it takes months to do it.

The ones that you falsely passed will turn up as failures soon enough.
Nifty. I'll just keep plugging forward, then, and probably start adding new cards because my 'coming due' cards are quite low right now. I'll definitely keep these strategies in mind in case I get backlogged again!
(2017-04-21, 3:13 pm)tanaquil Wrote: Another trick I have several times used after falling behind is to create two filtered sub-decks for each deck I'm severely behind on. One is designed to show you only cards that have come due in the last seven days, and the other only to show cards that are more than 7 days overdue. The goal is always to stay current on the "current" deck and work away at the "overdue" deck until it's gone.

The exact instructions that I follow are here:

https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#catching-up

You have to keep manually clicking on "rebuild" every day to get new cards in each of the two decks, but otherwise it's a pretty painless way to eliminate a backlog, even if it takes months to do it.

The ones that you falsely passed will turn up as failures soon enough.

I came up with a variation of this method which I've used with success.  It's based on the fact that cards with a long interval don't matter as much if you study them a few days or weeks late.  E.g. studying a card with 30 day interval a week after it's due isn't as proportionally late as studying a 3 day interval card a week late.

I make a filtered deck which contains all of my cards which have intervals over 2 or 3 weeks.  This leaves only young cards in my main deck so I can study those until I get my backlog down to zero.  When I finally catch up, I finish the main (young) deck first, then time permitting work though as many cards from the filtered (mature) deck as I have time for.

Another advantage of this method is I can do it immediately upon getting behind in my reviews.  For instance, 2 years ago I had a life event that I knew was coming and I wouldn't be able to keep up with reviews for a few weeks.  On the day that started, I filtered cards that had greater than 3 week intervals, leaving me to study only young cards which ended up being about 2/3 of my normal daily workload.
(2017-04-21, 3:13 pm)tanaquil Wrote: Another trick I have several times used after falling behind is to create two filtered sub-decks for each deck I'm severely behind on.

This ordering is so much better than any of the default options for a single deck that I review everything this way now. (I am also rarely caught up on my decks so that is also a factor. Big Grin )