Back

Vintage Japanese anlme

To celebrate the 100th anniversary of Japanese anime, the National Film Center of the Tokyo National Museum of Modern Art makes 64 short films freely available on the web site:
http://animation.filmarchives.jp/works

Enjoy!
This is really cool. I didn't hear any audio, so I'm assuming these films are from the silent era, though its weird that the few I watched showed a ton of talking scenes. Or is there actually supposed to be audio?
(2017-04-14, 8:32 am)Zarxrax Wrote: This is really cool. I didn't hear any audio, so I'm assuming these films are from the silent era, though its weird that the few I watched showed a ton of talking scenes. Or is there actually supposed to be audio?

まぐこ弟兄 at least has frames of text to indicate the dialogue. If any of them were meant to have sound, it was probably on a separate phonograph record that may not have been preserved.

Also I was staring at the title for a bit wondering why they had mirror-imaged the title screen before I realized the characters themselves aren't reversed, just the order. I haven't seen much right-to-left horizontal writing, and forgot it was a thing, heh.

It is really cool, but watching the one film with all its flickering made me a little sea-sick... I'll try again later and see if different lighting helps.
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
Holy crap this is super cool! I am particularly interested in anime 80年代 and before (and there seems to be a bunch of very before shorts) so thanks a lot for posting this!