Back

Drawing Tablets (computer peripheral)?

So I've been playing with the idea of making educational videos about the material I'm learning for my degree for a while now, both to share with friends (same degree track, but everyone still has their strong and weak subjects) and for whomever runs across them; it'll reinforce the material in my brain as well.
However, to do this well, I really need to get a drawing tablet (I'd borrow a whiteboard at the school, but I snark at the terrible quality that causes on other people's videos; also not a big fan of having my face on the Internet).

Since I don't need a really fancy one for artwork or anything, I was thinking of getting this Ugee tablet:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VUHQECU
But a lot of the negative reviews mentioned poor product life (in much harsher terms).

So for anyone that uses this kind of device regularly: is it worth it to go to the higher-end models, or do the budget models last well enough for this kind of light use? Any product suggestions?
I don't have any experience with modern tablets like this, but I did buy one several years back (maybe 10 years ago). I imagine the technology has changed by now.

I originally bought a cheap one by some no-name company, and it was horrible. It barely worked at all. The poor quality of it basically made it unusable. I ended up buying a Wacom bamboo tablet. It worked perfectly, just as I would have expected it too. Absolutely no complaints.

It looks like the newer bamboo tablets are way more expensive than the one I bought years ago...
(2017-04-08, 4:04 pm)Zarxrax Wrote: I originally bought a cheap one by some no-name company, and it was horrible. It barely worked at all. The poor quality of it basically made it unusable. I ended up buying a Wacom bamboo tablet. It worked perfectly, just as I would have expected it too. Absolutely no complaints.

I've never bought a tablet myself, but that's the exact same story I hear from almost every tablet user. Except my Mom. She just bought a Wacom tablet in the first place. I think it's such a niche market that nobody else is really trying very hard. I have used my mom's tablet a few times. It's nice, very accurate and responsive. She upgraded once in twenty years, so they also seem to have a pretty good lifespan. (I'm not even sure the old one failed so much as became obsolete... She was using the same one from Windows 3.1 until around I think Windows2k. The new one is still fine but she doesn't really have the motor control to use it anymore, unfortunately.)
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
I think i have only ever used wacom tablets, so i can't give an opinion on the cheaper brands from personal experience, especially regarding product life. There are other brands in this lower price bracket like Huion. This site has pretty thorough comparisons of different brands.
http://www.parkablogs.com/content/which-...play-types

Alternatively if you have a tablet (not drawing tablet), i think there are apps to make your device simulate a drawing tablet for a computer, not sure how well they work though (i tried years ago but cant remember how well it worked).
Thanks everyone!
Considering either one of those Huion ones or the Ugee thing I initially picked; reliability complaints seem to be a thing on all of them, but I'm not shelling out for a Wacom, so...
I got monoprice about 5 years ago and it still works. Does well on Windows but sucks on Linux. Keep your disc though as finding drivers for this thing is a pain. You do have to be willing to finagle with settings to get it to work but the drivers might have improved in 5 years.

Before I had a secondhand Wacom tablet that I had used for at least 4 or 5 years before the cord gave out. That tablet had much heavier use than the Monoprice one I have.

I think for your purposes a cheaper one is fine. I used to draw incessantly with both of my tablets and they were both pretty great for that. You should probablt get something smallee than the one you linked, that's a HUGE tablet. Maybe an 8×6 ish size?
Edited: 2017-04-10, 9:57 am
I use Wacom tablets too. I'm sure one of the cheaper Wacom ones will do fine for you, it doesn't cost much more than the poorly reviewed one you mentioned. I've been using the same Wacom tablet for almost 10 years now... the one I used before I only stopped using because of OS compatibility (and it was time to get a bigger one).
Hmm... Well, maybe I'll go with this Wacom, since its not much more than the others I was looking at:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010LHRFM2

I was also looking at this Huion one (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DM00B9A), but it doesn't have any function keys; I don't need many, but a couple would be nice. About thirty dollars less than the one above, at the moment... I guess some shortcuts and quality are worth that much.

Thanks again, everyone!