Back

Lang-8 ceases to accept new memberships

Just found out Lang-8 is stopping new memberships and now forwarding users to Hi-Native instead, a truly bizarre decision as the two sites offer very different services. This will be a blow to language learners everywhere if permanent. 
Anyone know of other writing corrections sites out there?
Ugh, that sucks. It must not have proved profitable for them relative to HiNative.

italki.com had a feature for receiving correction from native speakers. Haven't checked yet to see if it's still there but I assume so. And you can also hire a tutor to give you a more formal correction/lesson (which I find more valuable/less stressful than receiving feedback from multiple random sources, but c'est la vie and all that).
Edited: 2017-03-13, 11:21 am
Oh no! I have a lang-8 account (though not very active). Does that mean all of our posts will cease to exist?

Also I just looked up HiNative and I agree, it is not the same service so I don't know why they would eliminate lang-8.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
italki's notebook is a good enough substitute, though it is not designed for such comprehensive correcting as Lang-8 is. Maybe italki will seize upon this change to try to improve their notebook feature and entice Lang-8 users. 

I preferred Lang-8 to HiNative (tried the latter as a welcome supplement to Lang-8, but stopped using it when I realized I could find out more of the questions I had by just doing a little dictionary or internet research), but I could see it's more of a punchy app that will get them profit in the low attention-span world. It seems that HiNative does more to appease users' lazy instincts than to be an actually useful tool for motivated self-studiers.
There's a post on reddit as well ( https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/c..._accounts/ )and the top comment there cites an e-mail that sounds as if it's only a temporary measurement. Let's hope that's true :S
Edited: 2017-03-13, 12:59 pm
(2017-03-13, 11:17 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: Ugh, that sucks. It must not have proved profitable for them relative to HiNative.

italki.com had a feature for receiving correction from native speakers. Haven't checked yet to see if it's still there but I assume so. And you can also hire a tutor to give you a more formal correction/lesson (which I find more valuable/less stressful than receiving feedback from multiple random sources, but c'est la vie and all that).

I've heard good things about that site. Might end up moving there if Lang-8 closes down.

(2017-03-13, 12:27 pm)RawrPk Wrote: Oh no! I have a lang-8 account (though not very active). Does that mean all of our posts will cease to exist?

Also I just looked up HiNative and I agree, it is not the same service so I don't know why they would eliminate lang-8.

No, I don't think existing accounts are being affected at the moment but it doesn't bode well for the future of the site.

(2017-03-13, 12:37 pm)tashippy Wrote: It seems that HiNative does more to appease users' lazy instincts than to be an actually useful tool for motivated self-studiers.
Yeah, that's certainly true more often than not. I do think it can be useful if you run into an issue that absolutely can't be solved by a web search, but looking at many of the questions, it's full of people who clearly put no effort into finding an answer themselves (How do you say お疲れ様です? etc.)

(2017-03-13, 12:59 pm)sumsum Wrote: There's a post on reddit as well ( https://www.reddit.com/r/LearnJapanese/c..._accounts/ )and the top comment there cites an e-mail that sounds as if it's only a temporary measurement. Let's hope that's true :S

Yep, fingers crossed! 
The lack of transparency about this is disappointing.
Edited: 2017-03-13, 6:17 pm