Back

Japanese Language Study Log: Avatarmeem

Hello everyone,
Thank you for this amazing site, its a great aid for my road to the Japanese language.

I have officially started learning Japanese around 26th-27th of Feb 2017,  23-24 of Feb 2017.
I always wanted to learn Japanese but the sparks that made me finally commit to learn Japanese is when I found my all time favorite JRPgame has released only in Japanese PSN store.. 

writing this log sure will help me tracking my learning and understanding what I am facing, and keep clear idea about  my future plans... hopefully also will keep me committed. My goal is to be able to read and write Japanese, aiming to play any video games I want, read novels and watch variety shows.

I have learned Hiragana 100%  (I have learned that before )
Katakana: Man, I hate katakana but yea 80%

My plan:
is to finish Remembering The Kanji 1 as soon as I can by memorising 25 Kanji per day..
it was easy at the beginning but it gets bit overwhelming the more I learn.. im just not used to this xD
Reviewing is the key though!

Now im at 275 Kanji! 
and I decided today to add some vocabulary, 10 words a day.. 
I also listen to Japanesepod101 almost everyday for 30-50 mins when I walk outside ( but I didnt get the chance to walk the past two days Sad  )

Hopefully, when I finish RTK1, with a good small base of vocabulary I will start with the grammar books. ( Genki I )
when I get the basic grammar, I WANT TO read a lot of readings.. children stories, folk tales.. etc
In my experience reading stories and passages are the key, as one can find vocabulary in context , see grammar in action and have better experience in understanding the nature of the language.

Idea Note to the future me: Learning a language has no a final destination, its an ongoing journey. You have started learning Japanese in your busiest day.. dont lets there hours and hard work go in waste, Keep on going nothing is hard .
Edited: 2017-03-08, 10:10 am
I will try to update my journal whenever I feel like and at least once a week..

Three days since my post and that 75 new kanji got memorised.. there is good days and bad day but I tried my best to not skip any day! I want to go through RTK I asap.

the story technique works so great that I am overwhelmed .. memorising and revising old kanji takes around one hour and thirty minute to two hours.. but when I get bored and then I try to push myself.. with my morning drowsiness.. the kanji study can get extended to four hours! and that is why I should take mini breaks and do something with my drowsiness .. I study Japanese the first thing in the morning..
Althu memorising Kanji isn't that time consuming ( if I focused ) but I don't seems to be able to study vocab or go into deep stuff, better focus finishing the Kanji recognition first! but yet i dont want to spend 3 to four months with only RTK, thus I decided to go thru the grammar just to get familiar with them, this will make things in the future less intimidating.
One of the good easy grammar resource I found is this video series : https://goo.gl/0f2VeP
I think I'll keep watch these 1-3 videos a day and might even repeat them ... of course along with japanesepod101.
Edited: 2017-03-09, 2:11 pm
Hang in there! It is tough when the reviews start to pile up.

Don't be afraid to mix RTK with other methods. Yes, lots of folks here have managed to knock out all of RTK in 4 months or so, but there is still lots to learn after that. If you want to make RTK slower and learn other things (such as vocab or grammar) at the same time, that's not a sin. Just be consistent about whatever you decide to do.

Personally, I used other methods to learn and only recently returned to RTK just to learn how to write the kanji (I can already read them). There is no wrong way as long as you keep moving forward.
6-Month Challenge: Get 6-Month Premium for $66 or Premium PLUS for $166 (June 19th - 30th)
JapanesePod101
(2017-03-09, 8:03 pm)tanaquil Wrote: Hang in there! It is tough when the reviews start to pile up.

Don't be afraid to mix RTK with other methods. Yes, lots of folks here have managed to knock out all of RTK in 4 months or so, but there is still lots to learn after that. If you want to make RTK slower and learn other things (such as vocab or grammar) at the same time, that's not a sin. Just be consistent about whatever you decide to do.

Personally, I used other methods to learn and only recently returned to RTK just to learn how to write the kanji (I can already read them). There is no wrong way as long as you keep moving forward.
Thank you very much for your comment! Yes, RTK feels like the step zero, step one is when I finish it and move to grammar and vocab! ( but i will try to mix vocab and grammar once I can ).
Consistency is the key! but I wanna finish RTK 1 asap, I feel it going to be the fundamental to start probably learning Japanese and there is no going back when i finish RTK1.. because ..well I didnt put all these hours everyday learning complex characters for nothing.. 

now im at 425 Kanji, usually I have to write down the kanji at least once , when I write it down I feel this kanji became registered in my brain.. but the past three days I was VERY busy and had to memorise these kanji while i was out/in my long car rides/ between my tasks.. and didn't had the opportunity to write them down and that really felt bit odd. Thu I memorise them but still I feel like they are not registred in my brain xD. I'll try to write them down once I finish some of my deadlines.. and maybe I will take 2 days break once I reach 500 kanji, in this break I will do full revision, just not to feel lost when I continue. ( I did revision of all the 375 kanji and got score 93%, not bad... but still long way for all these kanji to be in my long term memory)
Here is my mark of 500 kanji, and nope, I take back taking a break!
Will keep at it, and I'm still jumping from a different material to another while studying RTK 1, I decided I shall memorize Genki 1 vocab so that might help when I study it after RTK 1.

Anyway, I don't think I will post anything till I finish RTK, maybe when I feel I need motivation?.
aaand... Happy Birthday to me, I became 25 years old today and I got a bronze medal for surviving life till now.. dude year 24 was a roll coaster but can see how stable and amazing year 25 is going to be! Al alhamdullilah.
Edited: 2017-03-15, 4:29 pm
Happy birthday and congratulations! Gambatte and keep studying.
@Tanquil Thank you so much!
--

An update,
Kanji: 975
Genji: Book 1 Chapter 5

I try my best not to miss any day.... yet there was one day I missed studying new kanjis but I did all my reviews thu ,( usually 100 RTK and 15 ~30 Genki vocabs cards )
I continue my Genki vocab and studying Genki 1 - now I'm at chapter 5 Smile
However, the last four days was really bad, even though I knew I will be this busy, I planned my day to meet my goals, but my health has failed me, my work outside the town took all my energy ( and I was really anxious ) and by the end of the day I was dead tired. No new kanji or even reviews. Now I have around 300+ cards are piled up, that's no big deal, I can finish all the reviews tommorow.

The thing is, now I'm even busier than my average busy days
In the top of that, there is going to be a longer hellish week like the last four days I mentioned above, looking into the bright side I am staying in my town so I will be less anxious. In my very busy days I don't really care about new kanji but I the reviews to me are must do!.

let's see how things will turn out, I'll do my best o/
Edited: 2017-04-09, 3:16 pm
Ugh, I hear you. I am going into what I pray will be the last of my hell weeks (I've pretty much been running hell weeks at work since mid-January, with the worst being mid-March until now). I have tried so, so hard to maintain my anki reviews, and I've mostly succeeded, but I'm not sure about this week. I may have to throw them to the wind for a week or so.

I'm glad I was well plugged into restarting my anki reviews (after a long down time) before this spell at work started, because what a mess. Finding time to read has been even harder.

Life happens, the key is getting back to it. I've twice let my anki reviews lapse for more than 6 months, and getting back on track was not fun, but always worth it. If I can stay on track into the summer I'll be golden.
(2017-04-09, 5:23 pm)tanaquil Wrote: Ugh, I hear you. I am going into what I pray will be the last of my hell weeks (I've pretty much been running hell weeks at work since mid-January, with the worst being mid-March until now). I have tried so, so hard to maintain my anki reviews, and I've mostly succeeded, but I'm not sure about this week. I may have to throw them to the wind for a week or so.

I'm glad I was well plugged into restarting my anki reviews (after a long down time) before this spell at work started, because what a mess. Finding time to read has been even harder.

Life happens, the key is getting back to it. I've twice let my anki reviews lapse for more than 6 months, and getting back on track was not fun, but always worth it. If I can stay on track into the summer I'll be golden.

Wow, more than 6 months! I can imagine gigantic mountains of review cards piled up! o.o  and exactly what you have said, the key is getting back to it, and boy how hard was it to get back to it and restoring my Japanese learning mindset.
I always try to convince my brain how much I will regret it if I didn't continue! and it works  Wink

My progression right now:
RTK: 1700 kanji! around 500 kanji to go.
Genki: Just finished chapter 9, now working on the workbook ( I only spend around an hour in Genki almost every day  Dodgy )  
I also did many listening practices by listening to Japanese Graded Readers Level 2 Vol1 before reading them. They are very good and I loved the stories! They are a bit above my level ( supposed to be N4 level ) but they are not as hard as I thought they would be, 4 stories out of the 5 were very comprehensive by just listening to them ... over and over again xD.

My goal in June is to finish both Genki 1 and RTK 1.

Heart
Congratulations ! Your almost done with RTK1. Good luck with your June's goals !