Back

Japanese Language Study Log: Avatarmeem

Congrats on finishing Genki! How difficult did you find よつばと! ?

Very respectable JCAT scores in listening, vocab and reading scores. If the grammar section is really short in the JCAT, you could have gotten unlucky and gotten a few difficult questions in a row.
@Skullclutter Thank you very much!
I still feel weird about the grammar score, I though my grammar score at least should be higher than my reading or listening xD
but thats alright I guess,... or maybe can they calculate my grammar section thu all other sections?

よつばとwas not really difficult, just a little bit intimidating at first, many vocabulary look up - which is good- some important basic vocabulary I didn't knew before like あいさつ, 近所 and 途中 I picked them from there. Totally recommend it, once you know little about violation and passive forms in Genki, I think よつばと is easy to read.
Edited: 2017-10-10, 1:09 pm
I do feel i'm contradicting myself a lot, and thats why I started this log to clear my brain so here is an update.

Right now I'm going very slowly on Tobira, almost finished chapter two. While I was working on the writing section I honestly  don't feel confident with my  grammar...heck there is still many parts in Genki 2 I still go back referring to . Lets say this is my learning style..  I need to know little bit of everything then go back and build up and fix what I know and connect things together.

the same goes with pre made vocabulary deck I use..I feel like I would never understand the vocab until I see them at least in 10 different contexts, even the 3-5 sentences I add in every card are not enough..
example of words that are hard to understand   構成 構造 工業 産業 生産 
These have been in my deck since forever... still super hard to understand them clearly while I can read them easily thanks to the kanji... or I am just too stupid?

I need to do more reading,..  im working on graded readers lvl 4 and after that I am to subscribe to Satori Readers ( it has amazing grammar notes )
But I barely have time for reading after my one hour grammar study and reviewing my anki   ( I keep my review less than 170 cards .. but im slow going thru them! VERY SLOW) .
Edited: 2017-11-02, 1:13 pm
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
(2017-11-02, 1:03 pm)AvatarMeem Wrote: Right now I'm going very slowly on Tobira, almost finished chapter two. While I was working on the writing section I honestly  don't feel confident with my  grammar...heck there is still many parts in Genki 2 I still go back referring to . Lets say this is my learning style..  I need to know little bit of everything then go back and build up and fix what I know and connect things together.
I think this is pretty normal, especially for grammar, which can take a long time to go from a surface level "if I think about this I understand it", to being familar with it but still caught out sometimes when there's not enough sentence context to help with understanding, to really solidly knowing it without having to think about it. So it can help a lot to go back and look at topics again with a different viewpoint (or if you've just plain forgotten it: when I was doing classroom study there was a point when the teacher said 'right, we're going to go back and do a refresher on verbs of giving and receiving because half of you have forgotten them"...)
(2017-11-02, 3:58 pm)pm215 Wrote:
(2017-11-02, 1:03 pm)AvatarMeem Wrote: Right now I'm going very slowly on Tobira, almost finished chapter two. While I was working on the writing section I honestly  don't feel confident with my  grammar...heck there is still many parts in Genki 2 I still go back referring to . Lets say this is my learning style..  I need to know little bit of everything then go back and build up and fix what I know and connect things together.
I think this is pretty normal, especially for grammar, which can take a long time to go from a surface level "if I think about this I understand it", to being familar with it but still caught out sometimes when there's not enough sentence context to help with understanding, to really solidly knowing it without having to think about it. So it can help a lot to go back and look at topics again with a different viewpoint (or if you've just plain forgotten it: when I was doing classroom study there was a point when the teacher said 'right, we're going to go back and do a refresher on verbs of giving and receiving because half of you have forgotten them"...)

I remember reading a reading guide published by a top University (I want to say Oxford in the UK but can't remember) detailing how to effectively tackle the assigned textbooks. The advice given was to first go through quickly without taking notes in order to get a general surface level understanding and then read the whole thing again while taking notes and fleshing out the details in your mind.

This is to say that I think your approach is generally accepted as a good way of doing things. It's impractical to try and get everything on the first read through, and like you said, it's easier to connect things together when you you know a little bit of everything.