Back

Does anyone know how to watch japanese live TV ?

I have learned japanese for 2 years.but,now I want to watch japanese TV.Does anyone know how to watch japanese  live TV ?
Yes. Go on aliexpress and get an IPTV package for Japanese. There's a ton of them. You'll need a decent android box to run them. Fire Tv is probably good enough, but I can personally vouch for the Nvidia shield since that's what I use.

I bought a subscription to WorldTV. I can watch anything that's been on in the last week, and I have around 50HD Japanese channels.

This is illegal if you're in Japan, and the legality is sort of a grey area if you're outside of Japan.

Also, if you find a way to get Japanese subtitles let me know. That's something I've never been able to find.
Edited: 2017-02-27, 4:03 am
You can view the most recent thread on this subject here: http://forum.koohii.com/thread-14374.html

The IP TV services are all illegal, as the companies transmitting them do not have broadcast rights for that content. I'm not judging, or even saying don't do it; I'm just saying don't be surprised if the service you're using disappears under cover of night. TV Japan ("up next: The Cats of the Heian Era") and the mainstream subscription services like CrunchyRoll are the only legal options I'm aware of.

As for subtitles, d-addicts.com's Subtitiles board has many for live action dramas aired over the past several years. Rumor has it Googling for "ZhuixinFan" might also yield some results.
Edited: 2017-02-27, 4:10 am
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
...I would watch a programme about Heian era cats...
I'm glad gaiaslastlaugh chimed in. When I said "grey area" that was probably misleading. Yes it's illegal, but Japan isn't going to extradite you from a foreign nation over it, so there's really no way that I know of for you to get in trouble. Plus, there's no real legal substitute in most areas so i don't care that it's illegal. I have a Japanese wife to take care of and that comes before legality imo.

I've had mine for about 2 years and I can count on one hand how many times I've lost a single channel. The whole service has never once gone down. Sure, it's possible, but I highly doubt it. These companies have China as a shield and will just keep evading defeat to keep making money.
Edited: 2017-03-03, 12:29 am
(2017-03-03, 12:28 am)theadamie Wrote: Japan isn't going to extradite you from a foreign nation over it
You might get killed in a drone strike though. They have pretty strict copyright laws.
(2017-03-03, 12:28 am)theadamie Wrote: I'm glad gaiaslastlaugh chimed in.  When I said "grey area" that was probably misleading.  Yes it's illegal, but Japan isn't going to extradite you from a foreign nation over it, so there's really no way that I know of for you to get in trouble.  Plus, there's no real legal substitute in most areas so i don't care that it's illegal.

That's well put, and I agree. People who care about that kind of thing should know these aren't legal services, and that in many cases it might be better to do a month by month subscription than invest in it for a year.

Unfortunately, the Japanese expat market is too small for Japanese TV providers to have much incentive to provide more options, and those of us learning Japanese to a high enough level to benefit from streaming TV is much, much smaller still. On the flip side, there also means there's not much incentive to crack down on file sharing and streaming outside of the country. So, do what you need to do, I say.

(2017-03-03, 12:28 am)theadamie Wrote:  I have a Japanese wife to take care of and that comes before legality imo.

I sympathize Smile Between YouTube and whatever I manage to download, my wife is pretty satisfied, so our current subscription is going virtually unused. That might change if I bought an easy to use set top box like iSakura or NewHome, which I'm considering for the coming year.
Personally I just visit the Japanese TV reddit. But again, Grey area.  Smile
(2017-02-27, 4:01 am)theadamie Wrote: Yes.  Go on aliexpress and get an IPTV package for Japanese.  There's a ton of them.  You'll need a decent android box to run them.  Fire Tv is probably good enough, but I can personally vouch for the Nvidia shield since that's what I use.  

I bought a subscription to WorldTV.  I can watch anything that's been on in the last week, and I have around 50HD Japanese channels.

This is illegal if you're in Japan, and the legality is sort of a grey area if you're outside of Japan.

Also, if you find a way to get Japanese subtitles let me know.  That's something I've never been able to find.

Thanks,

And,Do you know the iSakura IPTV? How about this?
(2017-03-09, 3:26 am)ysfanne Wrote:
(2017-02-27, 4:01 am)theadamie Wrote: Yes.  Go on aliexpress and get an IPTV package for Japanese.  There's a ton of them.  You'll need a decent android box to run them.  Fire Tv is probably good enough, but I can personally vouch for the Nvidia shield since that's what I use.  

I bought a subscription to WorldTV.  I can watch anything that's been on in the last week, and I have around 50HD Japanese channels.

Also, if you find a way to get Japanese subtitles let me know.  That's something I've never been able to find.

Thanks,

And,Do you know the iSakura IPTV? How about this?
Sorry, I've only used the ihome and world tv so far.  Both of those were good but ihome was an actual box, while worldtv was a .APK
I've used Netflix Japan for watching Japanese TV. Half the shows have subtitles.

As for standalone subtitles, there are 2 sites that are good:
http://kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=su...apanese%2F (anime)
http://jpsubbers.web44.net/Japanese-Subtitles/ (Jdramas, unfortunately a bit hard to look through as everything is sorted by airing season)

There's also D-Addicts