Back

Where is cb4960?

cb4960, creator of several invaluable tools such as Rikaisama, cb's Japanese Text Analysis Tool, JNovel Formattersubs2srs and Epwing2Anki, hasn't been active in the forum since July last year.

I hope cb4960 is doing well. Does anybody know what happened?
I don't know what happened, but I hope he's ok! Looks like he answered a question on SourceForge 6 months ago and that's the latest I can find from him: https://sourceforge.net/u/cb4960/activit...356711fdaa
I did an admittedly brief Google search though. Perhaps someone else can find something more recent.
Edited: 2017-02-16, 9:52 pm
I hope he's doing well too. I have used pretty much every tool on that list (I'm reading something thanks to JNovel Formatter at this very moment).
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
Me too. I hope he's doing well and achieved his goals. I looked him up maybe a year ago and I believe he was working at a software company in Los Angeles. I believe I found him though a social networking site either linkedin or facebook. A quick search just now didn't find anything, but maybe some deeper searching would find him again, or maybe he's keeping a low profile.

I'm glad there are other crazy people like me who appreciate people over the internet and wonder how they are doing years later. There are a few people from various defunct online communities who I would really like to know how they are getting on after all these years.
Well according to his forum profile on this site (http://forum.koohii.com/user-489.html) he's been here as late as December last year. Might just be burned out on Japanese / software dev / have important things going on in life.
Edited: 2017-02-17, 10:53 pm
(2017-02-16, 9:49 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: I don't know what happened, but I hope he's ok! Looks like he answered a question on SourceForge 6 months ago and that's the latest I can find from him: https://sourceforge.net/u/cb4960/activit...356711fdaa
I did an admittedly brief Google search though. Perhaps someone else can find something more recent.

From the link you mention I can see that he updated some of his programs in the last weeks, and one of them even in the last hour, so I hope he's doing fine.

I just sent him a private message, let''s hope he answers any time soon.
It's been a week, and I haven't received any answer from cb4960.
He's probably trying to keep a low profile. Nothing seems to hint at anything more sinister. I say we respect his privacy. The beauty of OpenSource is that somebody else can pick up the torch if he's had enough. But definitely a loss if he has.
It's weird that he just vanished. I hope he's doing fine and someone can continue maintaining his tools, so that they don't become obsolete.

I'm particularly worried for the future of Rikaisama, especially considering that Mozilla is killing the current add-on ecosystem from Firefox 57 onwards, which means that we'll have to either stop updating Firefox, or find some alternative that hopefully supports Rikaisama.
(2017-03-28, 10:12 pm)Sebastian Wrote: I'm particularly worried for the future of Rikaisama, especially considering that Mozilla is killing the current add-on ecosystem from Firefox 57 onwards, which means that we'll have to either stop updating Firefox, or find some alternative that hopefully supports Rikaisama.

*cough*Yomichan*cough*
(2017-03-28, 10:12 pm)Sebastian Wrote: I'm particularly worried for the future of Rikaisama, especially considering that Mozilla is killing the current add-on ecosystem from Firefox 57 onwards, which means that we'll have to either stop updating Firefox, or find some alternative that hopefully supports Rikaisama.

As the author of a competing browser extension you could say that I'm somewhat biased, but as someone who has deep dived into the code of Rikaichan and Rikaisama, I feel as I have an educated opinion regarding the state of things. 

The great Firefox extension API break (which is targeted for later this year) will basically mean that all user interface elements used for options and configuration in Rikaisama (as well as Rikaichan) will have to be redone. EPWING support will be completely broken (developers can no longer package native applications with extensions). Actually, normal dictionaries will be broken as well since Firefox will no longer have direct access to database format that they are stored in. They will have to be migrated to IndexedDB or always be loaded into memory like in early Rikaichan versions. You have no idea how difficult it is to get things like EPWING and Anki integration working within the new WebExtensions model.

Getting things working again will be a monumental effort for all Firefox extension developers, cb4960 included. That being said, I think having a variety of language tools is always a good thing and I sincerely hope that he or someone will step up to the plate and put in the time to help prevent this extension from being left behind.
Edited: 2017-03-28, 11:34 pm
(2017-03-28, 10:12 pm)Sebastian Wrote: It's weird that he just vanished. I hope he's doing fine and someone can continue maintaining his tools, so that they don't become obsolete.

I'm particularly worried for the future of Rikaisama, especially considering that Mozilla is killing the current add-on ecosystem from Firefox 57 onwards, which means that we'll have to either stop updating Firefox, or find some alternative that hopefully supports Rikaisama.

It's been awhile since I've done any programming, but if Rikaisama is dying and nobody else has already taken it over, I'll look into porting it. My Japanese is getting pretty good, but damn that's a valuable tool even now.

(2017-03-28, 11:32 pm)FooSoft Wrote: As the author of a competing browser extension you could say that I'm somewhat biased, but as someone who has deep dived into the code of Rikaichan and Rikaisama, I feel as I have an educated opinion regarding the state of things. 

Do you know if the Rikaichan team is still active and planning to port through this nightmare?
Edited: 2017-03-28, 11:35 pm
(2017-03-28, 11:33 pm)SomeCallMeChris Wrote:
(2017-03-28, 10:12 pm)Sebastian Wrote: It's weird that he just vanished. I hope he's doing fine and someone can continue maintaining his tools, so that they don't become obsolete.

It's been awhile since I've done any programming, but if Rikaisama is dying and nobody else has already taken it over, I'll look into porting it. My Japanese is getting pretty good, but damn that's a valuable tool even now.

(2017-03-28, 11:32 pm)FooSoft Wrote: As the author of a competing browser extension you could say that I'm somewhat biased, but as someone who has deep dived into the code of Rikaichan and Rikaisama, I feel as I have an educated opinion regarding the state of things. 

Do you know if the Rikaichan team is still active and planning to port through this nightmare?

I don't think there is a "team" really. Just like I work pretty much alone on Yomichan, cb4960 worked on Rikaisama (I'm not sure if he integrated changes from Rikaichan). Aside from the popup UI, almost everything on the backend would have to be redone to work similar to Yomichan (at least for Anki integration, dictionary lookup, and EPWING). 

Another option is that we could work on adding any remaining desirable features from Rikaisama into Yomichan (this would be at least an order of magnitude less work). I am always on the lookout for high quality pull requests Big Grin

edit: I should also add that the native C code written for EPWING support would also have to be overhauled to make Rikaisama work with new versions of Firefox since the dictionary interface would have to be completely different.
Edited: 2017-03-28, 11:50 pm
(2017-03-28, 11:47 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2017-03-28, 11:33 pm)SomeCallMeChris Wrote: Do you know if the Rikaichan team is still active and planning to port through this nightmare?

I don't think there is a "team" really. Just like I work pretty much alone on Yomichan, cb4960 worked on Rikaisama (I'm not sure if he integrated changes from Rikaichan). Aside from the popup UI, almost everything on the backend would have to be redone to work similar to Yomichan (at least for Anki integration, dictionary lookup, and EPWING). 

Another option is that we could work on adding any remaining desirable features from Rikaisama into Yomichan (this would be at least an order of magnitude less work). I am always on the lookout for high quality pull requests Big Grin

edit: I should also add that the native C code written for EPWING support would also have to be overhauled to make Rikaisama work with new versions of Firefox since the dictionary interface would have to be completely different.

No, I know Rikai-sama is pretty much cb's work, but it's a mod of Rikai-chan which I was asking about and I thought had a team but maybe it's also a solo project.

The last time I used Yomi-chan though, it was a standalone reader and not browser integrated at all, but in any case, there's obviously only a need for one such firefox integrated reader. (Well, Rikai-sama existed because Rikai-chan didn't include everything, but, y'know, in theory. Now that I think about it, if Rikai-chan's developer or dev team wasn't open to feature requests they probably won't do this port either....)

C is my first language, FWIW, so I'm not terribly worried about that. Not that I have any EPWING dictionaries myself.
Yomichan now runs in Chrome and Firefox Big Grin

See http://forum.koohii.com/thread-13742.html
Edited: 2017-03-29, 10:59 am
(2017-03-29, 10:59 am)FooSoft Wrote: Yomichan now runs in Chrome and Firefox Big Grin

Does it happen to run in Pale Moon (based on Firefox) too, by any chance? I gave up on Firefox a while ago because it started making interface changes I didn't want & then made most of my addons no longer work.
Edited: 2017-03-29, 3:25 pm
(2017-03-29, 3:12 pm)Bokusenou Wrote:
(2017-03-29, 10:59 am)FooSoft Wrote: Yomichan now runs in Chrome and Firefox Big Grin

Does it happen to run in Pale Moon(based on Firefox) too, by any chance? I gave up on Firefox a while ago because it started making interface changes I didn't want & then made most of my addons no longer work.

Haven't heard of this browser but you should just give it a shot. Yomichan uses new language and browser features extensively, so it will not work if it's based on something older than Firefox 51. 

You can always use it with Chrome too Smile

Yomichan for chrome works brilliantly.

I've been a Firefox user since 2004 or 2005 but I'm making the switch now. It seems like Firefox is intentionally driving people away at this point. Some plugins just will not install, even in the developer browser, following their directions.
Edited: 2017-04-09, 12:00 pm
(2017-04-09, 11:56 am)theadamie Wrote:

Yomichan for chrome works brilliantly.

I've been a Firefox user since 2004 or 2005 but I'm making the switch now.  It seems like Firefox is intentionally driving people away at this point.  Some plugins just will not install, even in the developer browser, following their directions.
Rikaisama still works in Pale Moon though, which is possibly a better choice for Firefox users who like the way Firefox used to be before it started making tons of changes.
Rikaisama still works in firefox developer edition (the aurora name, not the unbranded firefox releases) too, you just have to turn off two settings.
He updated Capture2Text just 10 days ago so it seems he is sound and safe.