Back

Switching to OS X for web development ?

Why do this now when Bash for Windows is a thing, and Microsoft is putting out great software like Visual Studio Code?
Because I want to use OS X? Duh
(2017-04-15, 3:56 pm)ファブリス Wrote: I remember now the one I used on my iMac in 2010-2012 was Tuxera NTFS-3G. They have a paid version, and there was a free presumably slower version.

http://www.tuxera.com/community/open-source-ntfs-3g/

PPS: looks like they just don't give a pre built version (since 2012) to push the paid one, but it's possible to build it. I'm not versed enough in the Sierra C compiling so hopefully there is a tut somewhere to build it.

There is a homebrew formula that will install it.  You might already know this, but homebrew works like apt-get in linux - install homebrew and you can install all sorts of usefull stuff like ffmpeg and wine.
Edited: 2017-04-17, 12:30 pm
JapanesePod101
Oh awesome thanks! I still need to look into Homebrew. How safe is it to use? Any gotchas I should know about where I could mess with the OS?
Edited: 2017-04-17, 12:53 pm
Afik it's as safe as the software you are installing. From what I understand, it installs everything into a central homebrew folder so it's not like it's changing things with the OS or installing files in random places all over the computer. There's also an uninstall function so you can uninstall certain binaries if anything breaks or you can uninstall everything related to homebrew.

Btw, macports and fink are two other package managers which work like homebrew. But homebrew seems to have become the most popular in recent years. There are many articles comparing the merits of each.
Bah I ended up with VirtualBox and my Ubuntu VM for web development.

Unsurprisingly VirtualBox is even more usable in OS X. Full screen is super cool, you can just "push" the mouse cursor on the bottom to reveal the dock, or top for the OS X menubar...

However the workspace thing is annoying. I wish it didn't do this full page scrolling. (edit: specifically I mean when you go from Vbox to an os x app, it does this super-mario-world style ideways scrolling as if the fullscreen vbox was another workspace, instead of just switching the current view.. which is a bit annoying and slow).

Likewise when you go fullscreen with a videoplayer, say, youtube, and you exit out of it, it's like it scrolls sidewise from another desktop space. Much preferred it just switches back to the desktop view like in Windows.

Do you know if the other virtualization options on OS X like VM Ware perform significantl better than virtualbox?

I wanted to stop using a vm, but then again it is hard to argue against how secure it feels in terms of being able to backup the whole configuration in just one file. My 20GB VM zips down to 5 GB which is pretty easy to backup.
Edited: 2017-04-27, 11:18 am
Isn't "back up full VM" just 'entire system backup' hidden under a layer of indirection? You lose the ability to have backups from multiple dates without using lots of backup space or to conveniently restore just a few files, though.
No because you have little control over those system backups. I don't want to backup things I don't need to backup. At least with a VM backup I have my whole dev backup. Versioning? Why? If you rely on backups to save old versions of files you're in trouble. Who knows if I have to swtch to linux or windows at another point? Apple backup will be useless to me then.

TLDR VM backup is "development backup". So as for your general day to day OS backup, I don't see the point. In practical terms, I've actually never had to restore my Windows 7 in the past 6+ years. I likely won't need to restore OS X for years to come, so the cost of a clean install and restoring my selective backup is much smaller and better to me. When I look into my archives, I like to see stuff that makes sense to me.
If you back up a VM disk image you are backing up the whole OS of that VM, aren't you? Anyway, I don't really want to drag this argument out, what works for you works for you -- your reason for doing a full vm disk image backup just sounded a lot like my reason for preferring full system backup.
Edited: 2017-04-28, 4:33 pm
(2017-04-27, 11:16 am)ファブリス Wrote: Do you know if the other virtualization options on OS X like VM Ware perform significantl better than virtualbox?

You can try the free trial of Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac.
Actually, VM solutions usually have incremental backups available (I know for a fact VMWare has them, for instance), so you can start making a full backup and then keep doing incremental daily backups from there. You could also make a full backup later or, if your VM software allows it, even "consolidate" several incremental backups into one.
Parallels is good, but watch out for the upgrade treadmill -- usually every other version of OSX will break Parallels, requiring you to buy an upgrade even if the old Parallels was working fine for you on the old OSX. Best to think of it as 40 quid every two years rather than a buy-once bit of software... (They also have an actual annual-subscription product but pay as you go is cheaper.)
Well *my* approach to backup is to know what I am backing up, and to have backups that are not locked into one system. Im just not confident I can restore something from incremental backups. To each their own. I don't trust such a system. If I have a file XYZ I want file XYZ on my backup drive, typically in a zip file. Something I can open on any computer, practically any OS, ten years from now.

Backing up a VM is not the same thing as backing up the host. If my full development environment fits in a 5GB archive, that's awesome. Backing up the host OS (OS X) is a completely different thing. It's got a zillion things i don't care about, which comes with the OS, or apps I can reinstall later like Pages or Numbers which will always be outdated in a backup anyway. And it will not fit in 5 GB.

So yeah, why not. You can backup the host OS if you feel that's useful. I don't see any use for it. The VM is a data file *within* my host OS, not at all the same thing as backing up the host. Now, if the host OS could fit inside a 5GB archive then sure, it doesn't hurt to back up the whole lot. But even then like I said, chances are I will never need it.

Regarding Parrallels, VMWare, etc. My question is more specifically whether that would be more performant than VirtualBox. The Mac Mini late 2012 doesn't seem to support VT-x. Overall the VM runs fine and seems only very slightly more laggy than on my Core i5-3570 PC.

The main problem with VirtualBox is its buggy AF. Still have to use an old guest additions in order for Google Chrome, Chromium to render properly. In fact with 5,1,20 it wouldn't even draw properly with the "hardware accelerated blacklist" flag. I have to revert to 5,0,16. I thought guest additions could behave differently under OSX host (ie. different layers to the host OpenGL).. but no.

There is also a nasty gvim redraw bug that I have never found a proper fix for except forcing full screen redraws. Forcing full screen "repaints" in CCSM likely reduces the graphical performance of the VM.
I've updated my PC to Windows 10 recently and am curious about PowerShell.

There is a "bash" command? What the?

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/powersh...owershell/

Can you really work with this in Windows? Like install all the homebrew stuff? curl, scp, ssh ?

I can read a guide like this one just wondering if it's actually usable to work with projects on github?
Edited: 2017-06-28, 8:44 am
It's not related to PowerShell -- it's MS's new Linux subsystem for Windows support. I haven't used it myself, but my understanding is that unless the program you try to run does something particularly outlandish it ought to work. They are basically trying to get back the audience of devs who are now used to a unix-like environment and tools for web dev...
I gave it a shot. Most of my .bash_login seems to be recognized. My history doesn't work when I re-open the shell, but there are probably workarounds for that.

edit: whoah, I can see why I missed this option.. "Bash on Windows" is very ,very recent. In fact this creator update from April 2017 added some essential features... including Apache / MySQL support.
Edited: 2017-06-28, 1:48 pm
(2017-04-16, 1:13 am)NinKenDo Wrote: Why do this now when Bash for Windows is a thing, and Microsoft is putting out great software like Visual Studio Code?

Wish I realized sooner. I was on Windows 7 , so I thought you meant Cygwin or something like that.

Oh well. It looks like recent updates make it possible to run a full LAMP stack. (edit: I mean, within the bash shell)

Using MAMP and pointing it into the Ubuntu file system, and use bash for its tools (grep, node, etc).. is another option.
Edited: 2017-06-28, 4:58 pm
Bah WSL for LAMP development is still barely usable anyway (slow). Sigh.