Back

subs2srs help

#1
I used this software a little bit as a beginner and made some cool decks but then stopped because really, the material was over my head, and I had trouble getting the software to work a lot.

It was hit and miss.  Basically just load the subs and MKV file or whatever and hope like hell. If the subs didn't match up with the video, chances are I wouldn't be able to fix it. 

I'm more determined now.  Because the content isn't over my head.  But I'm having the same frustrations.  I get the Japanese subs from kitsuneko and the english subs are in the MKV file I have.  In this one example using Code Geass R2, I got the 1st episode to work well.  But episode 2 is going nowhere.

The problem seems to be that subs2srs is cutting out -several- lines from the English subs for no apparent reason.  They definitely match up with lines in the Japanese sub text file.  And when you take them out.. well... nothing is matching up at all.  It's all out of whack.  Subs2srs has an advanced option menu where you can check boxes for remove lines with no obvious counterpart / styled lines..  unchecking this box for both subs doesn't change anything at all however.

Anyone else had this problem and found a way to get past it and make great anki decks?  I'm gonna just give up on this episode for now and hope the next one works but I'm very interested in any ideas.
Reply
#2
I'm thinking SUBS2SRS is just bugged. If it's user error I just don't know. I'm on episode 6 which did the best job up until 3:08 minutes into the episode where SUBS2SRS just chopped out nearly 2 minutes of the English subs and inconveniently not the Japanese subs. So I opened up the jap subs in another window and I'm copying and pasting them into the preview thing on SUBS2SRS. It's a pain and there's nothing I can do to get the 2 minutes that are cut out but I can get most of the subs done.

*edit*

Maybe it's a combination of the sub file being jacked up and the subs2srs not being perfect. Although I don't understand sub files much and how they're made, looking at the jap subs I download from kitsuneko and the ones that definitely work and are included with the MKV, the kitsuneko ones look a mess. You would think the subs would be in chronological order but the timings... aren't. There's like 20 lines that just have random times in them and then it starts to make sense. I wonder what I did to get the 1st episode to work.. geeze.
Edited: 2017-01-31, 6:43 am
Reply
#3
If the subs file has timings out of chronological order, you could copy paste the timed lines into excel, sort them and copy paste them back to the subs file. no idea if this will work, but it'll take 2 minutes to find out.
Reply
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
#4
(2017-01-31, 10:57 pm)yogert909 Wrote: If the subs file has timings out of chronological order, you could copy paste the timed lines into excel, sort them and copy paste them back to the subs file.  no idea if this will work, but it'll take 2 minutes to find out.

I'll give it a shot.  It seems like it would be so easy to do right?
Reply
#5
have you thought about learning without the decks? Nowadays i don't use sub2srs for japanese because it's counterproductive. I am using it for Spanish and I use sub2srs to generate the audio for efficient relistening and going through the lines for unknown words ( I PASTE THE subs for english into spanish subs then sort chronologically)

What I do is join the audio files using
MakeitOne MP3 Album Maker
Edited: 2017-02-01, 5:39 pm
Reply
#6
You can use Aegisub to re-time subs.
It's kind of tedious though, so when you do it, you should reupload your subs in a well-named .zip file on kitsunekko.
Ex. [UTW] White Album 2 BDs (Re-timed Subs)
Where you have something like: [<ReleaseName>] <ShowName> <Bluray/TV> <Re-timed>

Some shows aren't perfectly subbed and have missing lines. Just power through.
Reply
#7
Just a little pre-announcement: I'm nearly done with a software project that automatically aligns one "incorrect" subtitle to a "correct" one, figuring out offsets and where to set breaks, etc.. It only has command line interface, but should make this project _much_ smoother (can be called in a bash-for-loop, so correcting a whole series takes mere seconds).

I will announce the program officially in this forum when it is completely finished.
Edited: 2017-02-05, 12:14 pm
Reply
#8
(2017-02-05, 12:11 pm)kaegi Wrote: Just a little pre-announcement: I'm nearly done with a software project that automatically aligns one "incorrect" subtitle to a "correct" one, figuring out offsets and where to set breaks, etc.. It only has command line interface, but should make this project _much_ smoother (can be called in a bash-for-loop, so correcting a whole series takes mere seconds).

I will announce the program officially in this forum when it is completely finished.

That sounds like an absolute godsend, can't wait for the official announcement.
Reply
#9
(2017-02-01, 4:58 pm)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: have you thought about learning without the decks? Nowadays i don't use sub2srs for japanese because it's counterproductive. I am using it for Spanish and I use sub2srs to generate the audio for efficient relistening and going through the lines for unknown words ( I PASTE THE subs for english into spanish subs then sort chronologically)

What I do is join the audio files using
MakeitOne MP3 Album Maker

I do the same except i like video clips esp after i reencode the vid with duel language subs. (still a beginner)

However, I'm encountering a problem of joining hundreds of clips using 2 different  popular programs:
1)virtualdub - creates lag where audio doesnt line up with video
2)avidemux - seems to give me an error whenever i have more than 250 clips

Anybody have any success with any of these programs or know of a program to join about 700 to 1200 clips at a time
Reply