Back

RTK3 2nd edition keywords

148 2865 Notes: "a sun" should be "an eye", Stroke count: should be 13
149 2877 keyword: "Manchu dynasty" should be "Qin dynasty".

The Qin dynasty (221 - 206 BC) is represented by 秦.
The Manchu dynasty (1644 - 1911) is represented by 清 (RTK1 no. 1539).

The Manchu dynasty is also known as the Qing dynasty, so perhaps the similarity in names has caused an error.
Noted. I sent Dr. Heisig a follow-up over a month ago, but didn't hear back from him, nor was the errata pdf file at the nanzan site updated. Time to send a reminder.
JapanesePod101
In frame 2108 'fed up' Heisig has ’人’ + ’巻’。 However when you type it in a computer it comes up as ’倦’。 So the primitives would be 'person' + 'quarter' + 'fingerprint' instead of 'person' + 'scroll'. Does this seem right? This confused me when I saw them yesterday.
The version you see depends on which font your computer is using at the time. Newer fonts display some non-Joyo kanji a little differently. When "snake" is under something else it often changes to "fingerprint". Another one (as in 倦) is that sometimes the first two strokes of "quarter" can be angled outwards instead of inwards.

At first you need to learn these differences, but after a while you barely register which version you're seeing.
So which one should I learn or which one is the correct written version? Snake or fingerprint? O.O
It's not clear. 倦 with 己 did not exist before the JIS specification because the Jouyou List only specified simplified/modern forms of Jouyou Kanji, not non-jouyou. So there's some difference of opinion on which one to use. IMO if you're at the level where this is going to be a potential source of confusion, you shouldn't be studying these very rare characters -- they're only used in one or two words so the slight difference in look shouldn't be a big problem.

Note that "when you type it in a computer it comes up as..." depends on the font and other stuff. I see what you typed in your post as scroll rather than fingerprint; I don't think the version with fingerprint exists in the JIS1/2 set.
I think I have found 1 mistake at the beginning of the book:

Frame #2066 (bore): the walking stick is not a walking stick but a needle. (2 strokes instead of 1) I checked with four different fonts and I may be right...
Edited: 2009-12-20, 12:58 pm
From another thread:
71 2390 Add note: the "one" in march is sometimes replaced by a "drop" in this character
155 2919 stroke count: should be 6
Edited: 2010-03-07, 12:03 pm
Frame #2577, 痩 (lose weight) has 15 strokes according to the study page on this site, but I see only 12 strokes. This is also what the used primitives would suggest. WWWJDIC says 12 strokes also.
Denshi Jisho claims 15 strokes but I'm guessing it's an obscurity issue.