Back

2017 JLPT N2/N1 Thread

(2017-11-01, 5:52 pm)TheVinster Wrote:
(2017-11-01, 5:29 pm)pm215 Wrote: My voucher for a uk based jlpt in july 2016 was emailed. I get the impression that things can vary a bit between countries in how the local test centres do the admin, though.

Oh well every year in the past for me (like 4-5 years) it was mailed, and then I receive this email that says it won't be mailed and only emailed and I have to download it. Was just really strange.
You need to download it & print it out? Hmm, maybe the organization that runs the JLPT has a lower budget this year.
(2017-11-01, 6:11 pm)Bokusenou Wrote:
(2017-11-01, 5:29 pm)pm215 Wrote: My voucher for a uk based jlpt in july 2016 was emailed. I get the impression that things can vary a bit between countries in how the local test centres do the admin, though.

Oh well every year in the past for me (like 4-5 years) it was mailed, and then I receive this email that says it won't be mailed and only emailed and I have to download it. Was just really strange.
You need to download it & print it out? Hmm, maybe the organization that runs the JLPT has a lower budget this year.

Yes but it appears to be legit, as I logged into my JLPT account and can print out the voucher. The email mostly looked sketchy because it appears as if a high schooler made it? Different colored text, weird font, etc.
I bet that's just down to whoever the local test centre admin person is and whether they have weird ideas about email formatting -- it's not something the jplt org controls centrally afaict.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
(2017-11-01, 6:25 pm)TheVinster Wrote:
(2017-11-01, 6:11 pm)Bokusenou Wrote:

Yes but it appears to be legit, as I logged into my JLPT account and can print out the voucher. The email mostly looked sketchy because it appears as if a high schooler made it? Different colored text, weird font, etc.

Yup mine was basically the same as well (US here)... They probably just have a random intern doing it.

A different topic but a study update for me. I took another N1 practice test and passed as expected but kind of disappointed I didn't improve much on my overall score, since I really want to aim for 180/180 or at the very least a 90%+.

First Test: 143/180
言語知識: 54
読解: 32
聴解: 57

Second Test:  149/180
言語知識: 45
読解: 46
聴解: 58

Jumped up +14 pts after going through the 完全マスター読解 book though! I didn't think it would help at first but definitely gave me good strategies on how to tackle the questions. Listening was easy as always... and I think going forward I might not even take the listening portion of the practice exams. It honestly feels like a waste of time at this point since I only get 1-3 questions wrong. Also I think I scored lower in 語彙 just cause I ran into some vocab/grammar I had no exposure to before (damn you 古文). In the meantime guess i'll up my reading and take more practice exams.
Edited: 2017-11-01, 7:05 pm
I had a business trip last week and spent this whole week catching up.  This has not been great for my studying.  On the bright side, I got my flashcard reviews down to zero on the plane!  They're nowhere near zero now, but at least I remember what's in the deck.  I estimate I would have to review 30-40 minutes a day to keep the deck at zero, and I know I'm not going to do that.  I will go 20 minutes, maybe, on weekdays, and try to make it up on weekends.  You know, the two weekends we have left.

(I will remove this next part if anyone has legality concerns.)  Someone pointed me to a JLPT N2 listening app for iPhone.  The app is simply called "JLPT N2 Listening".  There are also apps for N3 and N1.  The app icon is a white cat sitting or standing between white headphones on a red background.  The N2 app includes the listening sections of JLPTs from 2000 to 2015, with answer choices and written transcriptions.  

I tried the December 2015 listening, and it was good and bad.  On the good side, I can absolutely understand what they are saying.  At least most of the time.  On the bad side, it really reinforces how weak I still am in vocabulary - especially office vocabulary, it seems.  It's super easy for me to get tripped up on some word or phrase I don't know and then lose the next 5-10 words of the dialogue.  Keigo is a problem too.  Reading it is fine, but when I'm listening, it takes me a little extra time to process; sometimes a little too long.  

I am planning to focus on listening for the remaining two weeks - some harvesting of vocabulary (though I doubt that will do a whole lot of good at this point), but mostly working on my mental approach to the listening section.  It won't do to allow myself to get tripped up like that.  I am also planning to stop drilling grammar and use that time instead to up my reading.  Or maybe I should say, up my reading stamina.  The written portion of the N2 is 105 minutes, so ideally I'd like to be comfortable reading for two hours straight by the time we go in.
(Yesterday, 10:56 am)satogaeru Wrote: I tried the December 2015 listening, and it was good and bad.  On the good side, I can absolutely understand what they are saying.  At least most of the time.  On the bad side, it really reinforces how weak I still am in vocabulary - especially office vocabulary, it seems.  It's super easy for me to get tripped up on some word or phrase I don't know and then lose the next 5-10 words of the dialogue.  Keigo is a problem too.  Reading it is fine, but when I'm listening, it takes me a little extra time to process; sometimes a little too long.  

For the listening you should check out the ANN News stream! I remember sholum having mentioned it in some post before. It might be a bit difficult and hard to follow everything at the N2 level, but they usually caption/summarize what they're saying which makes for great practice. A lot of N2, N1 vocab and grammar definitely show up as well. I've been watching 10-15 minutes every day as I wake up in the morning.
Does anybody have a JLPT N1 grammar anki deck to share with me? Preferably based on the shin kanzen master, but any will do, really.

Finally getting back onto the study train after unexpectedly having passed N2 this summer Smile

Thanks in advance!