Back

2017 JLPT N2/N1 Thread

(2017-08-06, 12:07 pm)harahachibu Wrote:
(2017-08-04, 10:06 pm)Splatted Wrote: I've been trying to work work this out for a while but does any one know what the 参照 in the ドリル&ドリル books is.  Next to many of the answers in the answer booklet it has 参照 followed by a number and I assume this is pointing towards a reference with more info but I can't seem to find one in the book or separately as part of the series. Does anyone know anything?

In my copy of ドリル&ドリル, which is for N1 bunpou, the 参照 number refers to other questions that are about the same grammar point.  So if question #15 has 参照 35, 142 listed, then check question #35 and #142 for other examples of the grammar point covered in #15.

Thanks it never occurred to me to check that. Though since I don't want to give away the answers to any questions I might have been better off not knowing. XD
(2017-08-06, 12:07 pm)harahachibu Wrote: In my copy of ドリル&ドリル, which is for N1 bunpou, the 参照 number refers to other questions that are about the same grammar point.  So if question #15 has 参照 35, 142 listed, then check question #35 and #142 for other examples of the grammar point covered in #15.
I used the 実力アップ books for grammar which used a similar system. Unfortunately it was necessary to keep that part covered up because the references were often a dead giveaway for the correct answer. E.g. no reference => just wrong. Reference in the same chapter as the exercise => probably right.
(2017-07-07, 11:59 am)pubbie2 Wrote: Hey peeps, how long does it take until we get the results?
To answer my own question:
http://www.jlpt.jp/e/guideline/results_online.html
now/recently says:
Other countries
The online Test Results Announcement for the 2017(July) JLPT is available for viewing ONLY from 10:00 am on August 23 to 5:00 pm on October 31 (Japan Time).
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
I got my N1 results today and no joy for me. It was worse than I expected haha. I didn't expect to pass but man, it's low. (Yes, I have passed the N2 - you might not think so from these scores though)

Scores by Scoring Section Language Knowledge (Vocabulary/Grammar) 29 / 60
Reading 13 / 60
Listening 26 / 60
Reference Information (※) Vocabulary B
Grammar B
Total Score 68 / 180

I would like to hear from anyone who took the JLPT initially and got a poor reading score but fixed it and brought it up to his/her vocab/listening scores. My N2 results were basically higher across the board but the ratios are about the same. Strong grammar/vocab and listening but a very low reading comprehension score. And I do read. I read a lot. I read mostly novels (not manga) and some news articles. I'll admit I don't read essays per se except out of the practice JLPT books I have once in a while. I guess I could try to read an essay every day maybe. But if anyone else found a way to fix an unbalanced low reading comprehension score I'd really like to hear what you did.
Woo, passed N1! I don't really post here but I owe a lot to the koohii community so I thought I'd come by and say thank you. Thank you to cb4960 for making the invaluable rikaisama, kaegi for creating aligner which I plan to use more and more in the coming months, fabrice for running this great site, and all the koohii users for contributing stories to all the kanji, especially the ones beyond RTK3!

For those interested in scores: I got language knowledge 51/60, reading 43/60, listening 42/60, total 136/180. I thought listening was hard during the test but I did better than expected as far as points go. Overall not superb but pretty good for my current level.

For those interested in my learning methods: For vocab, I read stuff and put words/sentences I didn't know into anki. For grammar, I did Shin Kanzen Master N1. For reading, I read a bunch of visual novels. For listening, I listened to a bunch of let's play videos on youtube and niconico.
70/180 in N2 (20,20,30), I guess reasons for failing mainly due to lack of motivation and while the Kanzen Master series is good I find them extremely boring and the sou matome is too easy.
In the meantime to find some more interesting material to improve upon.
Edited: 2017-08-23, 4:47 am
After some deliberating i finally decided to put myself out of my misery and check the results and was pleasantly surprised. I passed N2 110/180
21 29 60

In the exam I knew to pass I just needed the bare minimum for the Language Knowledge and Reading and I wasn't confident I could even get that!
Nope, I failed N2:
Vocab/Grammar: 41/60
Reading: 18/60 <-- Yikes!!
Listening: 46/60
Total 105/180
I have to start reading lol, just watching tv and movies is not enough Smile

Was I two or three points away from passing (18 - > 20 in reading ?)

Not being able to take the test in my country until july 2018 kinda sucks. Maybe I should go for N1 at that point Big Grin

Good job everyone! Pass or fail it still feels awesome putting effort into something good.
Edited: 2017-08-26, 10:05 am
(2017-08-26, 10:03 am)pubbie2 Wrote: Nope, I failed N2:
Reading: 18/60   <-- Yikes!!
Total 105/180

Not being able to take the test in my country until july 2018 kinda sucks. Maybe I should go for N1 at that point Big Grin

Good job everyone! Pass or fail it still feels awesome putting effort into something good.

I thought that was a close pass but per google your reading score is short one point.  One point.  If you see my scores above I'm pretty similar in that I can do grammar and listening but reading is way behind.  I'm curious to see if you manage to bring your reading score up to your other scores Smile.  I'm at a loss on how to do it myself.  I'm reading light novels on my kindle at the moment.

My friend got a 50 on the listening (N2) but his reading score kept him from passing too.
(2017-08-28, 12:59 am)kraemder Wrote: If you see my scores above I'm pretty similar in that I can do grammar and listening but reading is way behind.  I'm curious to see if you manage to bring your reading score up to your other scores Smile.  I'm at a loss on how to do it myself.  I'm reading light novels on my kindle at the moment.
I can only offer some fairly general and perhaps obvious advice, which amounts to 'identify what in particular about the reading questions causes you trouble and focus on that'. I hear that for many people the time limit is a big problem -- if you ran out of time to answer all the questions or you can get a much better score by giving yourself much more time, then reading more to improve reading speed and fluency will likely help (as will doing mock tests to get the hang of time management). If there are questions you can't answer even with all the time in the world, work out what you're missing (vocab? grammar? strategies for making good guesses? knowledge about how paragraphs are structured to form a coherent argument?) and focus there. I hear the Kanzen Master books on the reading section are good here.

Light novels (or anything else you enjoy) are great for quantity which I think is really important. You may also want to add in some of the non-fiction essay/opinion pieces that the JLPT loves to use, because they tend to have a different style and use different grammar/sentence patterns that it helps to be familiar with.

Some people like to start with the reading section and then do the vocab/grammar last so they feel less time pressure. Also statistically if you do run out of time and have to give random answers it's better to do that for five 1 point grammar qs than a single 5 point reading q...
Edited: 2017-08-28, 3:15 am
(2017-08-28, 12:59 am)kraemder Wrote:
(2017-08-26, 10:03 am)pubbie2 Wrote: Nope, I failed N2:
Reading: 18/60   <-- Yikes!!
Total 105/180

I thought that was a close pass but per google your reading score is short one point.  One point.  If you see my scores above I'm pretty similar in that I can do grammar and listening but reading is way behind.  I'm curious to see if you manage to bring your reading score up to your other scores Smile.  I'm at a loss on how to do it myself.  I'm reading light novels on my kindle at the moment.

My friend got a 50 on the listening (N2) but his reading score kept him from passing too.

I can only say what worked for me, N1-wise. Getting a dedicated N1 dokkai book helped. I also read random newspaper 社説 regularly. Finding novels that were hard to put down massively helped too. Also, in my study breaks I'd find random free ノベルゲーム & RPGs for android devices and play them a lot. I think having to navigate a Japanese only environment in the games helped me make up for the fact that a lot of my everyday environment was still filled with English. I tried to get every ending & talk to every character, do every side quest, etc.
First post!  Second JLPT.

Level: N2.  I tried N2 last December, knowing I would fail it, and scored in the low 70s.  I bombed out (sub 19) on grammar/vocab.  I was hoping to work my way up to an N1 attempt by this December, but that was super optimistic.  Now that it's time to register, I'm sure I'm not ready for N1.

Plan: Given my scores from last time, I've really been focused on grammar and vocabulary.   While I feel I've made pretty good progress with grammar, I have definitely hit a wall with vocabulary.  There are only so many flashcards a person can review before wanting to do something, anything, else.  And I took shortcuts in setting up my flashcards that I'm now regretting.  For example I have four different flashcards for "training":
修行
研修
訓練
養成
but only one of them has an example sentence, so I am not comfortable that I'm learning them correctly.  But the thought of going back and putting an example sentence on every card I have is daunting, to say the least.  I don't want to review flashcards at all, much less go back and dink around with their setup.  In short, I really need a better plan for vocabulary.  Something efficient but not so boring.

I don't have any particular plan for listening, except to continue consuming native materials.  I'm really trying to step up my reading.  Last year I came away with the feeling that speedier reading would make a lot of difference to my score.  I participated in August tadoku and will definitely participate in the next one.

Books and materials: I've worked through 新完全マスター文法 N2 and plan to work through it again.  I'm thinking of picking up 新完全マスター語彙 as well.  For reading, I've just picked up my first novel, 精霊の守り人by 上橋 菜穂子.  I've seen the anime series for this and it's still slow going, but it's way more entertaining than flashcards.  I have also been trying to visit nippon.com or shasetsu.seesaa.net at least once a week.
Welp.  I ended up getting 新完全マスター語彙 and ドリル&ドリル文法.  First time ordering from amazon.jp.  Wow they're fast.  I figured it would take a couple of weeks for international shipment but it only took three or four days!

As I suspected, a good chunk of the vocabulary in the 語彙 book is already in my flashcard deck.  This has motivated me to get my deck under control, get the reviews back down to something reasonable, though it's going to take a long time.  The deck has around 4,000 words / grammar points in it.  Of those, about 2,000 are currently up for review.  This is what improvement looks like.  Sigh.  My plan is to work it down about 200 cards on the weekends and then maintain on the weekdays.  I don't want to spend more than ten or twenty minutes reviewing the cards on weekdays, or I will burn out again on the whole thing.

For grammar, what do people think of the difficulty of ドリル&ドリル versus the actual test?  I'm finding the questions to be very easy.  Doesn't mean I get them all right, but they seem much easier than the 新完全マスター questions.

I've been very bad about reading and listening.  Well, that's not completely true - I'm enjoying my novel quite a lot!  But I've basically stopped reading editorials, and other than twice a week italki conversation sessions, I haven't been doing anything you could call listening, either.  Eh.  There's still time, I guess.
Total newbie to this forum

Level N2

Plan Minimum 2-3 hours of study between now and December

This is my first time taking the JLPT, so I am a bit overwhelmed. I'm just trying to work systematically through as many books as possible between now and then. I'm really weak at grammar and trying to memorize the grammar points as I do vocabulary doesn't work for me. So I've been slowly acquiring points one at a time and trying to learn them in context through Youtube videos and example sentences.

Books 完全マスター文法、総まとめ聴解・語彙、スピードマスター読解. Probably going to pick up a few more this week.

Honestly, I'm not feeling too confident. I do pretty alright on practice tests, usually scoring around 60-65%, but there is so much that I feel I don't know. I figure if I average about two to three hours a day between now and then, that'll add around 170 hours of overall study and that might do it. I'll be taking practice tests regularly and just working through as much as I can between then and now.
Signed up for the N1 today.
As a heads up to everyone in the US: Friday, September 29th is the last day to sign up for this year's JLPT; a couple of major cities are already filled up too, so if you have to go to a sizeable city, you'll want to register ASAP.
Signed up for the N1 as well. Failed in 2014 and 2015, registered for 2016 but was sick so I didn't go. As my first order of business I'll be ramping up studying to at least 2 hours a day with 30 minutes of opinion articles, an hour of book, and at least 30 minutes of podcasts. Plus adding Anki reviews on top of that and actually adding stuff these days.

Question: any good lists out there for all the N1 vocab? I was going to take the list, review it, and for any words I didn't know I planned to use ALC to grab a suitable sentence and create a new card.
(2017-09-27, 10:04 pm)sholum Wrote: Signed up for the N1 today.
As a heads up to everyone in the US: Friday, September 29th is the last day to sign up for this year's JLPT; a couple of major cities are already filled up too, so if you have to go to a sizeable city, you'll want to register ASAP.

Oh that's interesting.  I didn't realized that a city could "fill up" re:  the JLPT.  It would suck to have to fly to another city and THEN fail.  When I wrote the N5 last year there were people in line who had flown in from another city (because the JLPT isn't offered in their city).  I thought, you'd better pass!

I signed up yesterday in my city for the N4 (sorry I know this thread is N1/N2).

Is your test being held at a local university?
Signed up for N2. No clue what my chances are but I'm definitely positive about it. Though I won't be bummed if I don't pass.

These next 2 months are gonna be packed with cramming!
(2017-09-28, 5:17 am)phil321 Wrote: Oh that's interesting.  I didn't realized that a city could "fill up" re:  the JLPT.  It would suck to have to fly to another city and THEN fail.  When I wrote the N5 last year there were people in line who had flown in from another city (because the JLPT isn't offered in their city).  I thought, you'd better pass!

I signed up yesterday in my city for the N4 (sorry I know this thread is N1/N2).

Is your test being held at a local university?

Yeah, it seems they only set up at one university per location, so once they fill up, that's it. I imagine they run out of proctors before anything else.

Nope, I get to drive six hours to Atlanta (could be worse if I lived elsewhere). I have to drive back right after the test too, because I have to be at school Monday for an end of semester progress report on my group's senior project.

TheVinster Wrote:Question: any good lists out there for all the N1 vocab?

Since they don't publish the official vocab list for the N1 (apparently, they used to have a list for the old tests), I'd say Core10k would be your best bet for a premade list. The actual non-published list is suspected to have around 18k words on it, though, so you'll want to expose yourself to the kind of vocabulary that will probably show up (read about big current events, i.e. North Korea shooting missiles over Japan). You could also probably examine the Core supplement and sort it by frequency and study those, but I don't know that it'd be worth the time.
Edited: 2017-09-28, 9:54 am
These last few weeks I have been hit with the triple whammy of a nasty head cold, jury duty, and a business trip.  I kept up with my flashcards, reducing what's up for review by 200 as planned over the last weekend, but other than that I've just been trying to claw back out of the hole I'm in at work from all the missed time.

(2017-09-24, 7:30 am)seyzna Wrote: I'm really weak at grammar and trying to memorize the grammar points as I do vocabulary doesn't work for me. So I've been slowly acquiring points one at a time and trying to learn them in context through Youtube videos and example sentences.

I have this problem with grammar, too.  I do still have flashcards for the grammar points, but they aren't really clicking for me until I see the grammar in context.  Reading this novel is really helping.  Some sections, I feel like the author was referring to 完全マスター文法 as she went along, and making a game of including as many grammar points as possible in a paragraph.

this novel is so grammarだらけ Wrote:たとえ頭でわかっても、恐ろしさに気配を断つどころではない。それができるということは、バルサがいかに、命のやりとりに慣れているかを示していた。

Happy studying, all!
(2017-09-28, 4:35 am)TheVinster Wrote: Signed up for the N1 as well. Failed in 2014 and 2015, registered for 2016 but was sick so I didn't go. As my first order of business I'll be ramping up studying to at least 2 hours a day with 30 minutes of opinion articles, an hour of book, and at least 30 minutes of podcasts. Plus adding Anki reviews on top of that and actually adding stuff these days.

Question: any good lists out there for all the N1 vocab? I was going to take the list, review it, and for any words I didn't know I planned to use ALC to grab a suitable sentence and create a new card.

http://www.tanos.co.uk/jlpt/jlpt1/
I used that site's anki deck and it helped me pass, though note that it seems to show hiragana-only for some words which have non-rare kanji. I deleted the words I knew, added kanji for any word which 大辞泉 said had non-rare kanji & added example sentences from 研究社's J->E dictionary. Doing something like that, taking practice tests & reading a lot (both newspaper 社説 for practicing reading and analysing essays, and fiction for all the unique vocab it throws at you, at least some of which will probably show up in the vocabulary questions like it did for me) will take you a long way towards passing.
I thought from other threads that acquiring vocabulary is "trivial" (oh, phil321!--shhhhhhhh!). LOL.
Edited: 2017-09-28, 5:19 pm
Seven weeks and six days left! If the ドリル&ドリル quizzes accurately reflect the difficulty of the grammar questions on the test, then I'm feeling pretty good about grammar.

I'm still not convinced that I'm pursuing the best strategy for vocabulary. I'm continuing to grind the flashcard reviews down by 200 a week. 1,400 up for review at the moment. That *looks* like I'm right on track to be "done" by exam day. I am concerned that, while a lot of the 完全マスター語彙 is already somewhere in this deck, a lot of it is not. Usually around 20 new words per lesson - so, I think there are 500-600 words in here that I have yet to add to the deck. I wish there was a better way. Or that I had more time. Or both.
(2017-09-28, 9:57 am)satogaeru Wrote: I have this problem with grammar, too.  I do still have flashcards for the grammar points, but they aren't really clicking for me until I see the grammar in context.  Reading this novel is really helping.  Some sections, I feel like the author was referring to 完全マスター文法 as she went along, and making a game of including as many grammar points as possible in a paragraph.

this novel is so grammarだらけ Wrote:たとえ頭でわかっても、恐ろしさに気配を断つどころではない。それができるということは、バルサがいかに、命のやりとりに慣れているかを示していた。

Happy studying, all!
What novel is that? I'm always looking for good book recommendations, especially to study for the test.

I took a practice test today (the one released by the JLPT team) and did OK on Grammar/Vocab, really great on Listening (somehow) and just totally bombed the Reading section. I thought it would be that reading would be strong for me and listening terrible, but in retrospect over the past few months I have been watching WAY more than I have been reading - and what I do read is mostly slangy, high school setting crap. Crap I enjoy, but still, not useful for the JLPT apparently.

This is pretty comforting though because I can definitely improve on my reading and grammar in a short period of time, but not so much with listening. With Reading my biggest problem with boring vocab I don't know (sadly street fight vocab is not on the JLPT), as well as just general test taking strategies. I believe both of these things can be alleviated fairly easily.

So, over the next month or so my goal is to:
- Go through the Kanzen Master reading book, a section a day. Pick out any vocab I want to learn or would be useful.
- Complete Matome Listening book (though it seems harder than the test questions were)
- Skim the Matome grammar book
- Start on my drill books, of which I have 3 - both Power Drill books and the Listening/Reading Drill & Drill book.
- Focus on eating right and getting some light exercise

This shouldn't be too bad as long as I don't add much Anki workload... I actually plan on reducing it as it's giving me motivation issues with too many cards.
I'm starting to get worried about this test.

Vocab: "Only" 1,200 flashcards up for review, as planned. I'm adding new ones from the Shinkanzen vocab book as I go, but I'm moving at a truly glacial pace. I should be doing a lesson a day but instead it's more like one every three days. I will not finish this workbook in time for the test. But even at that pace, I'm exceeding my desired 20-minute cap on weekday reviews. Weekend reviews are 1-2 hours. I do think it's helping. I just need it to help faster.

Grammar: Good! Mostly. I spent some quality time with 限る・限り・限って this weekend. I still get those usages confused.

Listening: Good, I think? I listen to two podcasts a week, ひいきびいき and バイリンガルニュース - twice if I have time. My listening is better than it was last year, but I don't understand either of these with fluency the first time through. By that I mean, I pick up details on second listen that completely flew over my head on first listen. On the JLPT I think I'll do okay where they ask the question first and then repeat the question again after the dialogue. And, I think I'll do better than last time on the "speed round" where you have to pick the proper response to a quick little sentence. I'm hoping that'll be enough to overcome the weakness I anticipate on the ones where they don't give you any clues on the question up front.

Reading: The Tadoku chart says I am reading 8.5 pages a day, mostly my novel but also a little bit of news. I think I am reading about eight pages an hour. No idea if that's fast enough. Last year I ran out of time. Up to now I've been reading things through once slowly, looking up vocabulary as I go, and then a second time more quickly. With six weeks left, it's probably time for me to switch it to the other way around, reading first for fluency and then again looking everything up. If I can get used to that, then if I hit a reading selection on the test that is full of unknown vocabulary, hopefully I will not become flustered and will instead focus on gleaning what I can to answer with.

Insofar as it sharpens focus, being worried is good. Right? We'll just go with that for now.

(2017-10-15, 1:04 am)uchuu Wrote: What novel is that? I'm always looking for good book recommendations, especially to study for the test.

This book is 精霊の守り人 by 上橋 菜穂子. It's definitely not high literature, but I'm enjoying it. I picked it firstly because I liked the anime. It's a fantasy novel: fight scenes (action words and parts-of-body vocabulary!), rural/indigenous slice of life (vocabulary for how to tan leather!...okay, maybe not so helpful), and political intrigue (keigo everywhere!). There is magic and an otherworldly element as well (all kinds of unexpected vocabulary!).

The second reason I picked it was because it is the first of a series, and I thought if I can read this book using the crutch of already knowing the story, I can then move into the other books using the crutch of being used to Uehashi's writing style. It seems to be targeted at high schoolers, which is a plus for me at my level. I do still need to look a lot of things up.

What are you reading?

(2017-10-15, 1:04 am)uchuu Wrote: I took a practice test today (the one released by the JLPT team) and did OK on Grammar/Vocab, really great on Listening (somehow) and just totally bombed the Reading section.

I should try that this weekend. I took the practice test last year, and there is only the one, so I've been waiting until I've forgotten it. By now it's probably safe to take it again.

Last year for the actual test, I remember I divided my time up. I worked on reading for (I think) 45 minutes. Then I went back and completed the grammar and vocab. Then I used what time I had left to work on reading some more. Although I failed, I think breaking the reading up like that was a good method for me. I was able to regroup and reset. I'll probably do something like that again.

Anyone have test taking tips of that sort that they'd be willing to share? Especially for listening. I remember getting really messed up trying to take listening notes last year. I felt like I couldn't write fast enough in Japanese, but that trying to take notes in English while listening in Japanese was melting my brain.