Back

Japanese Language Study Log: Arrakis

Long time lurker (4-5 years I think), just never really posted, or made an account. I used to use the actual RTK bit, but have since been using WaniKani, so, yeah. Kinda half-assed 自己紹介: I'm 22 years old, originally from Oslo (Norway), but have been living in the UK since September 2014, and I'm currently studying Computer Arts in Scotland. Been attempting to learn Japanese for several years, but I never had the discipline/time/resources to do it properly; for the first half of that time in particular I kept moving between different textbooks in order to figure out which one I wanted to use. Caused me to get real good at using です but learnt literally nothing else haha. At one point I kinda said '***** it I'm using Genki,' and made it through both Genki books early last year. Then life happened in June or so (moving, mostly, for like... months), and I only got back to it earlier this year.

I'd like to update this once a week or so, unless not much happened.

'Stats': (I guess I'll update these in new posts whenever reasonable progress has been made)
Current level: N4, but my reading is closer to N3 (I think). In terms of tests, I've only taken the J-CAT, where I got 138 (25 listening, 43 vocabulary, 25 grammar, 45 reading), which I believe puts my non-vocab/reading at low 3級 i.e. low n4, and vocab/reading at below 2級 so somewhere around n3 (pretty sure it's a bit lower though, since I found it easy to guess at the correct answers for the reading section without actually knowing wtf was going on). Assuming I'm interpreting their score interpretation page correctly anyway.

Current long-term goal: taking the JLPT in July. Probably gonna apply for the N4, although I've been considering N3; I think I can pass the n4 easily (just need to get my grammar and listening up a bit), which makes me wonder if I should just go for the N3. I've also got some N3 books coming in soon (Sou Matome + Shin Kanzen dokkai, choukai and bunpou), and I've got An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese and Tobira waiting for me once I finish JtMW and reviewing Genki. Buuut on the other hand I've got uni; 3 projects due in March and another one due in May/June. So I might just take the N4 to make sure I'm not too distracted from my coursework and then start working towards N3 in April or so, so that I can take it in December. But then again I could just take the N3 anyway, and if I fail it doesn't really matter since I don't need a JLPT cert for anything, I'm mostly just doing it for fun + to gauge my progress.

Current short-term goal: finishing Japanese the Manga Way (I'm doing JtMW to review since it's easier for me to do, and will review Genki after). Finishing games that I've been playing in Japanese (Pokemon X, super close to the end, just need to sit down and do it; Pokemon Omega Ruby, more than halfway through the game, I just don't have a lot of motivation to finish it).

Current resources: WaniKani for kanji (currently lv19; I was originally lv25 or something like that, started using it during the alpha [May 2012 iirc], then life happened and I stopped using it. Reset it earlier last year since I'd forgotten just about everything), memrise for vocabulary (currently playing catchup since I learnt some 4000 words on it a while ago, and had a ton of reviews when I started using it again earlier this year. I've finished the N5 and N4 courses on there and got started on N3, so I should be able to keep going with N3 vocab sometime in February), Anki for vocab (doing v2k + custom decks based on textbooks and native material; I want to do core5k but I'm gonna wait until I've finished reviewing JtMW/Genki), Japanese the Manga Way, native material (Pokemon X/Omega Ruby/Sun, Youkai Watch, Tobidase Doubutsu no Mori, Yotsubato!, I also have Bravely Default/Monster Hunter 4/Danganronpa/Disgaea but they're quite a bit beyond my level for now). Adding AIAIJ/Tobira (and Sou Matome/Shin Kanzen N3) once I've finished JtMW + Genki review.

Anki, v2k: ~250 reviews, going to halt new cards until I deal with this (was sick for a couple days, so my only Japanese 'study' consisted of とびだせどうぶつの森 and 妖怪ウォッチ).
Anki, 文法 (custom deck, contains 例文 from textbooks): 93 reviews.
Anki, 何でもいい (custom deck, contains vocab from textbooks + native material): currently on top of this.
WaniKani: 430 reviews (again, got sick. I'm attempting to keep my apprentice items under 100 [currently 118], so no new lessons until that goal has been reached and I've got my reviews under control again.)
memrise: 11/24 courses under control (i.e. less than 20 reviews each unless I neglect them for like a week), which includes the N5 vocab course. Going to start studying N3 vocab once 24/24 are under control.
Japanese the Manga Way: currently on lesson 19 (て-form) out of 32. Need to add 例文 from lessons 17 and 18 to Anki.

My current schedule looks something like this: WK reviews, memrise reviews (+50 reviews from any courses I haven't finished reviewing yet), Anki reviews, 2+ JtMW chapters a day (except Sundays, which is when I add all the sentences and vocabulary from whatever chapters I did that week). And in addition to that I also play Tobidase Doubutsu no Mori/Youkai Watch/Pokemon/Toki no Ocarina 3D, looking up things as I go (although I'm finding that I could probably play through all of them without a dictionary, I'd just miss plot nuances/jokes/that kinda thing; when I got my 3DS from Japan and had to go through the setup process I did most of it without needing to look anything up, so yeah). I also watch Terrace House, but with English subs. Should probably rewatch some of the older eps with JP subs. I'd like to get into a habit of reading NHK news easy articles every day and watching Shirokuma Cafe without subs (already seen all of it with EN subs), but we'll see.

edit: added more specific 'stats'
Edited: 2017-01-24, 12:34 pm
I'm loving the study journal threads! I enjoy hearing about what other people are doing to reach their goals. Good luck.
(2017-01-23, 10:53 am)Arrakis Wrote: and watching Shirokuma Cafe without subs (already seen all of it with EN subs), but we'll see.

Shirokuma is mostly pretty easy to understand, but as you might expect having already seen it... sometimes it uses some quite difficult vocabulary, mostly just to set up for a joke or as the punch line to a joke. You might want to at least save the Japanese subs somewhere to consult in a pinch; personally I found it worth the trouble to watch it with Japanese subs.

NHK News Easy is great practice but I was never able to make a consistent daily habit of it because, well, sometimes the articles just are just uninteresting. I always ended up hitting it intermittently and picking out interesting articles. (At this point I usually just poke around on regular news, but sometimes if I'm tired or I'm in a waiting room with some time to kill I'll check in on News Easy for some light reading.)

頑張って!
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
(2017-01-23, 2:39 pm)tanaquil Wrote: I'm loving the study journal threads! I enjoy hearing about what other people are doing to reach their goals. Good luck.

Yes, me too! Half the reason I decided to start one haha. Thank you!

Quote:Shirokuma is mostly pretty easy to understand, but as you might expect having already seen it... sometimes it uses some quite difficult vocabulary, mostly just to set up for a joke or as the punch line to a joke. You might want to at least save the Japanese subs somewhere to consult in a pinch; personally I found it worth the trouble to watch it with Japanese subs.

That's a good point actually. I'm watching it on Crunchyroll (which only has the option of EN subs or no subs), so I think I'll poke around a bit and see if I can find the script or something. I already attempted to watch it without subs once, after I finished it with EN subs but before I finished Genki... 1 I think? IIRC I had half an idea of what was going on (obviously having watched it before helped a lot), but e.g. Shirokuma's puns and whatnot went right over my head.
Quote:NHK News Easy is great practice but I was never able to make a consistent daily habit of it because, well, sometimes the articles just are just uninteresting. I always ended up hitting it intermittently and picking out interesting articles. (At this point I usually just poke around on regular news, but sometimes if I'm tired or I'm in a waiting room with some time to kill I'll check in on News Easy for some light reading.)

頑張って!
Yeah, same. Back when I was finishing up Genki 2 for the first time I read one article a day for like... two weeks haha. To be honest, I'm having a hard time being interested in English news that I can just skim, go figure. That's why Youkai Watch is working really well for me at the moment, since I like the gameplay and I don't have an English copy, so if I wanna understand the story I can't just mash A and say 'yep, got it,' when really I only know what to do, not why I'm doing it. I realise that (native) children's games are very different from, well, (easy) news, though, which is why I should make a habit of it, especially since I'm gonna want to aim for N3 reading material I think.

頑張ります~

edit: spelling
Edited: 2017-01-23, 10:04 pm
http://kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=su...ma_Cafe%2F

Of course you can't directly play the subtitles on crunchyroll, but you can at least reference them.
(2017-01-23, 11:29 pm)SomeCallMeChris Wrote: http://kitsunekko.net/dirlist.php?dir=su...ma_Cafe%2F

Of course you can't directly play the subtitles on crunchyroll, but you can at least reference them.

Ah awesome, thank you!

-

As for updates:
Edit: Also decided to go for N4 if I do the JLPT at all this summer (never taken the test before, so I'd rather take something I'm a lot more certain I'll pass); honestly I might skip the summer test and just go for N3 this December though (and then N2 some time next year assuming I pass N3), due to money/time/other factors. Anyway.
Honestly I'm so sick of Genki 1/2 and Japanese the Manga Way, I feel like I've gone through basic grammar so many times and the fact that I can actually play (easy-ish) games in Japanese makes it even more boring. I own physical copies of Tobira and AIAIJ, so I had a look at the first couple chapters of both and well, I understand the vast majority. Enough that I think I'll just skip redoing JtMW/Genki, spend a couple days on quickly reviewing N5/N4 grammar points I'm not 100% on and then start AIAIJ. So:

Current short-term goal: finish reviewing N5+N4 grammar points (shouldn't take me more than a day or two) and then start on AIAIJ. I think I'm gonna aim at doing one chapter/week to begin with, since I'll add all the vocab and relevant grammar 例文 to Anki. We'll see though, depending on Uni (and difficulty of the later chapters) I might have to increase or decrease that. Other than that, been playing a lot of JP games recently, so just making progress in those I guess.

Anki, v2k: 121 reviews. Almost done (had a bit of a rough week due to medication, trying to get back into things now).
Anki, 文法: 126 reviews, 8 new cards.
Anki, 何でもいい: 0 reviews.
WaniKani: 832 reviews. Just, gonna try to do 200/day until it's manageable again. Sigh.
memrise: 11/24 courses under control.
Grammar: reviewing N5 grammar atm.
Edited: 2017-02-07, 5:05 pm
do you have any short-term goals that are more exciting that has to do with doing something in Japanese that you enjoy? Have you looked into talk-variety shows? They were really fun and great for learning Japanese for me when I was around your level if I recall correctly.
(2017-02-07, 8:23 pm)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: do you have any short-term goals that are more exciting that has to do with doing something in Japanese that you enjoy? Have you looked into talk-variety shows? They were really fun and great for learning Japanese for me when I was around your level if I recall correctly.

I think variety shows are still pretty hard to follow at n3-n4 level.  I'm close to n3 and can't keep up with variety shows at all.  At n3 I'm just beginning to be able to follow native material but it needs to be pretty basic to be comprehensible.  The only thing I can keep up with at my level is made for kids, so anything made for adults is out of reach for a while.  I started watching tonari no totoro a while back and it was fairly easy to follow along.
(2017-02-07, 8:23 pm)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: do you have any short-term goals that are more exciting that has to do with doing something in Japanese that you enjoy? Have you looked into talk-variety shows? They were really fun and great for learning Japanese for me when I was around your level if I recall correctly.

Mostly just, 'oh make progress in [whatever game I'm playing in JP, currently Pokemon X and Youkai Watch].' I find that the second I start using material that requires me to be decent at listening my comprehension decreases massively (Youkai Watch's random anime-style cutscenes work fairly well, but they're few and far between; maybe I should try to get ahold of the actual anime itself). Where would I be able to find variety shows? So far in terms of Japanese shows I've only really been able to find anime, Crunchyroll and the odd show on Netflix (Tokyo Diner, Terrace House, etc.)

EDIT: (firefox somehow ate my post, lemme attempt to rewrite it)

Quote:I think variety shows are still pretty hard to follow at n3-n4 level.  I'm close to n3 and can't keep up with variety shows at all.  At n3 I'm just beginning to be able to follow native material but it needs to be pretty basic to be comprehensible.  The only thing I can keep up with at my level is made for kids, so anything made for adults is out of reach for a while.  I started watching tonari no totoro a while back and it was fairly easy to follow along.

Oh Studio Ghibli is a good point actually. My gf has a bunch of their films, I'll see if I can watch some of them without EN subs; I've already seen the vast majority with non-JP subs so yeah.
Edited: 2017-02-07, 10:00 pm
(2017-02-07, 8:58 pm)yogert909 Wrote:

I think variety shows are still pretty hard to follow at n3-n4 level.  I'm close to n3 and can't keep up with variety shows at all.  At n3 I'm just beginning to be able to follow native material but it needs to be pretty basic to be comprehensible.  The only thing I can keep up with at my level is made for kids, so anything made for adults is out of reach for a while.  I started watching tonari no totoro a while back and it was fairly easy to follow along.

Well you're not going to follow it effortlessly at first but you could still learn from it. I remember that I went from pausing and looking up everything every few seconds to every few minutes etc etc ( adding them to anki etc etc). I learned from it when I was at your level because it was a lot of fun for me since talk/variety shows offer something I can't get from american tv. It seems like a good for learning because there's text all over the screen and the text is also big. Also with anything you'll remember things on repeated exposure whether it's watching  a lot of variety shows/whatever else or rewatching or relistening to a specific episode.  For me after a while variety/talk shows in general got easy since daily conversation is all the common/useful JapanesE.  At some point if you're going to improve at understanding anything you're going to have to actually watch a lot of it to get used it... I don't know if you're expecting to reach a point where watching/following a talk variety show will get significantly easier if you study more but it'll eventually come down to actually watching a lot of it and getting used to it.

Where would I be able to find variety shows? So far in terms of Japanese shows I've only really been able to find anime, Crunchyroll and the odd show on Netflix (Tokyo Diner, Terrace House, etc.)

well for starters people tend to upload interesting clips on youtube
here's some shows
嵐の宿題
しゃべくり
ロンドンハーツ
ゴッドタン
反省会

メレンゲの気持ち
深いい話

actually SOME studio ghilbi movies aren't exactly the best to gauge your Japanese in that the director always casts amateurs rather than voice actors for the main characters so people complain that it's hard to catch. just google ジブリ映画 聞き取りにくい. i think most of the ghibli movies have japanese subs floating around due to their popularity so if you watch with jsubs it shouldn't be an issue.
Edited: 2017-02-07, 11:39 pm
Quote:Well you're not going to follow it effortlessly at first but you could still learn from it. I remember that I went from pausing and looking up everything every few seconds to every few minutes etc etc ( adding them to anki etc etc). I learned from it when I was at your level because it was a lot of fun for me since talk/variety shows offer something I can't get from american tv. It seems like a good for learning because there's text all over the screen and the text is also big. Also with anything you'll remember things on repeated exposure whether it's watching  a lot of variety shows/whatever else or rewatching or relistening to a specific episode.  For me after a while variety/talk shows in general got easy since daily conversation is all the common/useful JapanesE.  At some point if you're going to improve at understanding anything you're going to have to actually watch a lot of it to get used it... I don't know if you're expecting to reach a point where watching/following a talk variety show will get significantly easier if you study more but it'll eventually come down to actually watching a lot of it and getting used to it.
Yeah I realise that I won't suddenly wake up one day after doing x amount of textbook lessons and be like 'yes I'm ready to watch Japanese shows now' lol. I suppose some of the problem is that firstly I'm not... amazingly interested in Japanese TV (I used to watch a decent amount of anime, but... eh), so I'd like to find something I'm interested in I suppose? But then there's the second problem in that I don't know where to find things. I don't watch UK TV even (well, sometimes panel shows), and barely videos/films/etc (I mostly play games, so that's why I have a lot of Japanese games and practise reading with those, but that doesn't help with listening obviously).

Quote:well for starters people tend to upload interesting clips on youtube
here's some shows

Awesome, I'll look into these, thank you.

Quote:actually SOME studio ghilbi movies aren't exactly the best to gauge your Japanese in that the director always casts amateurs rather than voice actors for the main characters so people complain that it's hard to catch. just google ジブリ映画 聞き取りにくい. i think most of the ghibli movies have japanese subs floating around due to their popularity so if you watch with jsubs it shouldn't be an issue.

That's really interesting, thanks for the heads-up. I was mostly planning on watching them with j-subs anyway (which is why I wanted to do Ghibli since subs are easy to find and my gf owns a lot of their films on dvd/blu-ray which should have subs as well) but that's good to know.

--

So I kind of abandoned this thread (and temporarily Japanese) due to just a lot of coursework I had to get done for Uni very quickly, as well as mental health and whatnot. I've been back at it for a while, and just now figured I should start using this thread again. I also decided not to take the JLPT this July due to money and said mental health. It would've had to be the N4 anyway since I haven't been able to study for the past month. Which means I'm now looking at taking the N3 in December, assuming money/coursework allows it.

So, in the meantime, I've finished my N5 + N4 grammar reviews. I've figured out an Anki card setup that works for reviewing grammar points (since just writing it down and doing the workbook exercises doesn't quite cut it), which has helped a lot with motivation (since I just need to sit down and do it now, as opposed to figuring out how to do it first) and just retaining grammar as well. Which means that I'm starting on An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese! Actually really excited about this, so yeah.

I also attempted to watch the Nihongo no Mori N3 grammar series, and realised that I understand the vast majority of it, particularly the explanations, and whatever I don't understand I can look up really easily. I expect that number to be a bit lower once it goes into more complex grammar, but yeah. I also love how the ...host? teacher? speaks fairly slowly (but not horrendously slowly), and that it only has Japanese subs. So I want to start watching that somewhat regularly. I tried watching Ekubo (n5/n4 grammar it seems), but it's just so... boring and slow and I hate that it has English subs along with the Japanese, to the point that I ended up covering them up haha. I might look through the Ekubo playlist and see if there are any topics I haven't heard of/don't feel super confident with and watch those.

Current long-term goal: N3 in December.

Current short-term goal: finishing An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese + the workbook. Actually finishing a game in Japanese (so, so close to the end of Pokemon X, halfway through Omega Ruby, and then I've got a few hours in a bunch of other games). Clearing my memrise/WK/v2k reviews.

Current resources: An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese + Workbook, Nihongo no Mori, the usual Japanese games (currently mostly playing Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, Youkai Watch, Pokemon Sun, Toki no Ocarina, Tobidase Doubutsu no Mori), memrise, WaniKani, Anki (v2k).

Anki, v2k: 400 reviews... really need to get caught up.
Anki, 文法 (my new grammar point/grammar review deck, the sentence one is now called 古い and I'm planning on putting future sentences in a new deck): currently caught up.
Anki, 何でもいい: currently on top of this.
Anki, 古い: no reviews.
WaniKani: way too many reviews. Been slowly working at them, doing 50 a day since I've only got so much focus a day and I need to dedicate quite a lot of that to art/coursework and grammar study.
memrise: similar to WK, I'm caught up to about half my courses though.
An Integrated Approach to Intermediate Japanese: starting this tomorrow.

'schedule': Not sure how much of AIAtIJ I can do each day yet. I'm gonna assume I'll need a week or two for each chapter, so we'll see once I start with it. Probably gonna do something like, initial reading -> add vocab/kanji to anki -> grammar study -> reread chapter -> workbook for whatever lesson I just did. Which if I do one of those per day (so 5 days/chapter) might work? But I might also need more than one day for the grammar/workbook bits. I'll figure this all out once I actually start the book I guess.

Edit: added some things I forgot when I initially wrote this.
Edited: 2017-04-09, 8:59 am
Great to hear how your studies are coming along! Good luck. I'm always interested in hearing about video games in Japanese.

My great Japanese video game weakness is Phoenix Wright, aka 逆転裁判, mostly for the DS. So much fun to replay repeatedly, I might be due for another round. I found some scripts for it, but I have too many anki cards as it is, so making anki cards/vocab out of the scripts will have to come later.
(2017-04-09, 5:16 pm)tanaquil Wrote: Great to hear how your studies are coming along! Good luck. I'm always interested in hearing about video games in Japanese.

My great Japanese video game weakness is Phoenix Wright, aka 逆転裁判, mostly for the DS. So much fun to replay repeatedly, I might be due for another round. I found some scripts for it, but I have too many anki cards as it is, so making anki cards/vocab out of the scripts will have to come later.

Ah, thanks. I'm glad my study log is somewhat interesting to people other than myself.

I'd love to get into 逆転裁判, it looks really interesting. I've played about half of the レイトン教授 crossover game in English (and loved the Phoenix Wright bits), since I kinda grew up with that franchise. I don't think I'm quite good enough to play either series in Japanese yet though, haha. Had a go at the very first 逆転裁判 DS game in Japanese through an emulator ages ago, that pretty much scared me off. What level where you at when you started being able to play them?
I think I must have been around N2, maybe? N3 might be ok too, though. The nice thing is that the screens (except for a few short video cuts) don't advance automatically, so you can take your time and look stuff up if you need to, or just decide you don't need to know. They sometimes give furigana for the more difficult forensic words, too, since the audience includes kids after all. (The intro game in PW 1 makes me laugh, because in English it's just *moronic*, but in Japanese you realize that they're trying to test whether kids know the kanji for "defendant" or "murder weapon.")

Also, at least some of the Japanese DS game cartridges let you switch between playing in Japanese and English, so you can play in one language for a while and then switch and figure out what you missed. I really enjoy playing in both languages.

I enjoy Layton too! I haven't gotten as far with it though. Haven't had a chance to pick up the crossover game yet. Soon, I hope.

[ETA: forgot to say, if the first game in an emulator scared you off, it might have been because of the animation that kicks off the first game. The animations that advance too fast to read are rare and often only at the very beginning of a story arc; they're basically cut scenes to set the stage, you don't really need to understand them. Certainly they usually go too fast for me to read, or they used to. Get to the point where you have to advance the screen manually and then try it.]
Edited: 2017-04-11, 4:50 pm
Yeah, I promise you dont miss much in the intro scenes, it just sets the stage for the case. You will rehash everything in court.

I can't wait to play 逆転裁判 myself! I did play through thr first case of the 4th game somewhere in N4 level.... and I think you can play the games decent probably around upper N3 level if you know the story well and use a walkthrough.

There are transcripts of the game online so you can probably mine those for vocab words before you play.
Edited: 2017-04-12, 7:48 am
I'm a huge fan of the 逆転裁判 series so if anyone has any questions about playing them I'd be happy to answer. Actually fairly recently (a few months back) I finally accomplished the goal of playing every single title in jp (the last one on my to-do being 逆転検事2 which is amazing). That is,

逆転裁判 蘇る逆転
逆転裁判2
逆転裁判3
逆転裁判4
逆転裁判5
逆転裁判6 (I made a thread for this one on koohii a while back and no replies from anyone else who played it Sad )

レイトン教授VS逆転裁判

大逆転裁判

逆転検事
逆転検事2

You can bet I will be playing 大逆転裁判2 the moment it comes out.

レイトン教授VS逆転裁判 was the first title I played in jp, whereas previously I played GS1-4 and GK1 in English. I don't really have any good JLPT estimates since I never took it but around 3-4~ years ago when I played レイトン教授VS逆転裁判 I was somewhere noticeably worse than N2 level I guess. It was pretty rough and and frequently I'd run into parts I didn't understand completely but the great thing about all these 逆転 games is that oftentimes characters who have a very "stylized" way of speaking will be followed with whomever you're controlling thinking "so basically he/she means this".

The older games (GS1-4 / GK1-2) are more annoying to deal with if your vocab base is weaker because those have no furigana, and character name readings are only shown once and never again pretty much. Soon after playing 逆転検事2 I actually made a deck to deal with this so that people wouldn't have to go through the "uhhhh I recognize this name and know who it is but have no idea how it's pronounced" feeling that I'm guessing I don't suffer alone.

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/508392557

(I was thinking of making a separate koohii thread for this but figured it was too niche an interest or something; maybe I'll do it some other time after updating the description on the page)

It's a sort of work in progress (there are minor alternate character profile pictures missing from DGS / GS6 mostly because the site I sourced them from are missing them and it is way too much of a pain for me to try and rip those images myself). But for the most part this is pretty complete (only includes characters with profile images; LK vs. GS is not included). Cards show up approximately in order of character first appearance. The idea I had in mind is that whenever someone encountered a character in the game for the first time they could just do the first review in Anki for that card. Alternatively, you can just not review any of the cards and just use this to look up character names when you need a reminder.

If you've never played the games before and you follow the deck in order as you encounter characters in the game it should be spoiler free... except one part which is sort of tricky (last case of GS2) where two character cards are back to back because no other character appears in between and the second character card is totally a spoiler for the first. Wasn't sure of a better way to deal with this though.
Edited: 2017-04-12, 1:02 pm
Cool, thanks for sharing the deck and the info!

I actually need to catch up on playing the later games in the series (I stopped somewhere around GK 1). I keep threatening to get a Japanese 3DS so that I can finish playing the later titles. Maybe this summer.
Flameroks, you're my hero. I've been an Ace Attorney fan for 9 years and I just love the snot out of the series. One of the original reasons I started studying was to play 大逆転裁判.

I also enjoy that playing it in English does nor ruin the experience of the Japanese and vice versa, and spotting the differences and choices in translation will be fun. The way they continue to try to convince us that the game is set in California is really fun and, sometimes, extremely funny. I cannot get over the fact that 迅 was turned into an ultra serious samurai weeaboo... and honestly he turned into one of my favorite characters. (オドロキくん is my all time favorite though)

I think I saw that thread but it was before the English release and I was avoiding spoilers. That said, I loved that game. So good.

I'm probably going to steal your deck, thanks Smile
Edited: 2017-04-12, 5:37 pm
(2017-04-12, 5:37 pm)uchuu Wrote: Flameroks, you're my hero. I've been an Ace Attorney fan for 9 years and I just love the snot out of the series. One of the original reasons I started studying was to play 大逆転裁判.
Oh boy I've been a fan for about a decade now so it looks like we've both been fans for more or less the same amount of time. I was worried about 大逆転裁判 being difficult due to archaic styles of speaking but I generally found it to be minimal or a non-issue.

(2017-04-12, 5:37 pm)uchuu Wrote: I also enjoy that playing it in English does nor ruin the experience of the Japanese and vice versa, and spotting the differences and choices in translation will be fun. The way they continue to try to convince us that the game is set in California is really fun and, sometimes, extremely funny. I cannot get over the fact that 迅 was turned into an ultra serious samurai weeaboo... and honestly he turned into one of my favorite characters. (オドロキくん is my all time favorite though)
Yeah I've mostly been out of the loop with the localizations past GS4 but I heard about some of the crazy stuff in GS5 like the samurai weeaboo thing; a lot of the time while I'm playing the games I wonder how the hell they're even going to localize some of it. Honestly have no idea how they even dealt with the rakugo episode in GS6.

That being said I actually think Janet Hsu (who's been the main localizer for the GS series except like one I think) does an exceptional job; she has some really excellent blogs where she talks about her approach and experience doing it. This blog is a fantastic read: http://www.capcom-unity.com/zeroobjectio...no_redir=1 . While Ace Attorney as a series definitely has itself written somewhat into a corner due to choices made early on, I think for the most part the early choices made sense at the time (where people were far less aware of Japanese culture).

(2017-04-12, 5:37 pm)uchuu Wrote: I think I saw that thread but it was before the English release and I was avoiding spoilers. That said, I loved that game. So good. 
Yeah I was pretty "it's okay I guess" about GS5 but I loved the hell out of GS6; they really did what needed to be done which was to make me actually care about Apollo as a character.

(2017-04-12, 5:37 pm)uchuu Wrote: I'm probably going to steal your deck, thanks [Image: smile.png]
Please do! And feedback is always welcome (probably best to PM it to me if you have any since I've sort of derailed this thread; sorry Arrakis!).

EDIT: BREAKING NEWS DGS2 release date just announced for 8/3 of this year:
https://twitter.com/Gyakuten_capcom/stat...1639819264
Edited: 2017-04-12, 9:56 pm
That's it, I'm getting a Japanese 3DS this summer.
@ tanaquil:

Quote:I think I must have been around N2, maybe? N3 might be ok too, though. The nice thing is that the screens (except for a few short video cuts) don't advance automatically, so you can take your time and look stuff up if you need to, or just decide you don't need to know. [...]

Ah, cool, that's really good to know. I'll give it another go then, probably once I actually finish some of the JP games I'm currently playing (too many!). At this point, it's nice being able to make a rule that if I don't understand the automatically advancing text in cutscenes I'll just play the game once I do. Helps me with not playing like 20 games simultaneously. But yeah, I'll pick up 逆転裁判 sooner rather than later in that case.

And the crossover game is very good. I really want to finish it someday; I got about halfway through it in English. Might pick it up in JP once I've passed N3, would be good for motivation.

Quote:That's it, I'm getting a Japanese 3DS this summer.
I highly recommend it! There's tons of great games, including JPN exclusives (same with the Vita, which isn't actually dead over there... hopefully one day I'll get one of those too). Also, if you're importing it as opposed to buying one while in Japan, nippon-yasan is a very good site. Their selection/variety is not amazing, but they tend to be cheaper than places like play-asia. My N3DSLL was about 19000jpy I think? Games are usually 3000-6000jpy, very new/hyped releases can be 7000jpy, never seen anything above that though. I'd say eshop games average 4000jpy (cheapest way of getting games once you have the console; physical copies will be cheaper a lot of the time, but since there's no shipping/import tax on digital games it works out). Shipping was something like £40 (plus a large amount of customs fees, but afaik those don't exist in the US) but I got the fastest option available (UPS 3 day shipping I believe). It's a lot cheaper if you do SAL or EMS.

@uchuu:
Quote:Yeah, I promise you dont miss much in the intro scenes, it just sets the stage for the case. You will rehash everything in court.

I can't wait to play 逆転裁判 myself! I did play through thr first case of the 4th game somewhere in N4 level.... and I think you can play the games decent probably around upper N3 level if you know the story well and use a walkthrough.

There are transcripts of the game online so you can probably mine those for vocab words before you play.

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. And the transcript thing is a good idea, I'll look into that once my srs reviews die down a bit.

@Flamerokz:
Quote:Please do! And feedback is always welcome (probably best to PM it to me if you have any since I've sort of derailed this thread; sorry Arrakis!).
Hah, no worries. I'm planning on playing the series myself eventually; reading you guys' discussion bumped it further up my priority list. Also makes the series seem slightly less intimidating (although I'm sure it's still gonna be hard given the core mechanic of the game hinges on, y'know, paying close attention and picking up on discrepancies in speech/evidence and such). Also, I'll definitely be using your deck once I start GS.

--

...so updates. I feel kinda bad just adding in a relatively uninteresting update now, haha. Oh well. Basically figured out what I'm doing in terms of going through AIAtIJ, so this is my current schedule (in probably not entirely correct JP but eh it's mostly just meant to be keywords that let me know what I'm doing):

第1日:聞き取り+会話/読み物
第2日:語彙+漢字読み方ー>Anki
第3日:漢字シート+add kanji to Anki
第4日:文法ノート1+ add grammar notes to Anki
第5日:文法ノート2 (this is where I'm currently at today, so I might end up moving the final 4 days around once I get to them)
第6日:文法ノート3
第7日:文法ワークブック
第8日:会話/読み物 repeat
第9日:聞き取り repeat

I'm doing roughly 5 grammar points/day atm for the 文法ノート bits (there are 14 grammar points in 第一課 iirc), since most of them I'm vaguely familiar with from playing/reading native material. Also probably gonna have to expand this into a 14-day schedule of sorts once I get into more difficult/less familiar territory. Just... taking it slowly, since I've got lots of srs-ing to do as well. I'm also trying to do at least 2 grammar points per day in ADoBJG, as I'd like to read the entire thing cover to cover. Not something I'm overly fussy about though, it's ok if I miss a day.

This is my current setup for grammar cards: en->jp, jp->en. Has been working really really well so far. This is my goi card setup. Only jp->en, as I find that with en->jp I have to add a lot of 'not [other word]'s. I have to do that for grammar cards as well, but in both directions and I don't really mind with those since it's the only method I've found that actually lets me retain a lot of the grammar (aside from seeing it being used repeatedly in native material, but that's not something I can control directly). I also do a decent amount of en->jp typing on memrise, so yeah.

Edit: forgot some things.
Edited: 2017-04-14, 11:25 am