Back

Japanese Language Study Log: sholum

Update:
Anki:
Kanji Production: 834
RikaiSaves: 432

新完全マスター読解: section 3.1

Reading:
Got through section 2 a lot quicker than I expected, even though I only did one subsection per day; the last couple of subsections didn't have as many problems (lists only had two problems, including the example). I'm going to continue the slower pace to accommodate Tadoku, but I'll still probably finish the first run through within a week or two (I'll probably go over some of the more difficult question types).

Slow start on Tadoku. I actually fell into the trap of finding a manga series (adapted from a webnovel) on a scanlation site and checking it out there out of convenience instead of immediately going to the source... So I exchanged a lot of Japanese reading time for English reading, today. Unforgivable!

Listening:
Keeping up with the anime and documentaries. I watched (in and out of focus) a documentary about the battle of 関ヶ原; having only ever just known the general historical significance due to all the references it gets, I found it quite interesting (while I was awake; I'll have to watch it again). One of the most interesting things to me is that it was a battle between the superiority of armor over weapons (in the West, at least, not that it was affordable for most troops) and the current domination of firearms over infantry armor. From the parts I was awake for (and from what I understood), it seems that the hybrid armor developed for 徳川家康 incorporating the wedged breastplate of Western (probably Spanish or Portuguese, but I'm not sure) armor with the more flexible Japanese armor of the time for protecting the extremities allowed his forces to survive arquebus fire better (the breastplate would deflect shots from an arquebus where the usual armor wouldn't).
While political maneuvering and strong command were probably the most important factors, it's interesting to learn about battles in periods where armor and weapons technology is nearly equal (or, at least, not incredibly one sided).

Writing:
I finished the short essay about locks and my tutor helped me correct it. Even though I went over it multiple times myself, there was still a decent amount that was fixed and improved. I'm posting the uncorrected and corrected versions in a code frame, since we don't have spoilers. My copy of the corrected one has highlights and other correction notation that won't show up, so I'm just going to remove any of that.
Oh, and the corrected version is more spread out because it was separated into individual sentences during review, and I was too lazy to do anything beyond closing the extra white space.

Code:
Rough draft:
先週、車の中に鍵を閉じ込めてロックしてしまった。夜だったから、家族を迷惑させたくなかったから、友達に開ける方法を尋ねた。結果、電線で外から錠の車内の取っ手を引き上げて解いた。ただの糸を使ってもよかったが、電子工学部にはレアアイテムみたい。電線でも糸でも、その特機ではない道具を使ったけど難しくではなかった。車だけではなく、南京錠や安い金庫の錠を解いた経験もある。普段の文字合わせ錠でも簡単に解けるらしい。錠の種類によって、アマチュアの鍵開け屋にも数秒しか持っていない。銀行の金庫でも必ずしも安全ではない。

錠は正直者を唆さないための機械だ。不許可で錠を開くなら、もう偶然にならない。でも、犯罪でも構わぬ人はそれだけで思い止まらせない。だから、他の手で泥棒を損得が悪いと思わせるべきだ。銀行の例では、そのセキュリティには金庫まで行かせないシステムが多い。一般人には、もっとも効率的な方法は二つ:警報機を使うと貴重な物を見せない。警報機そのものの役は当然が、「A社のホームセキュリティシステムに守られる家」の忠告だけで泥棒される効率が下がる。押し入り前に、損が大きすぎと思わせる。一方、カーテンが閉じた家や中には何も見えない車は押し入り価値を確認できない。得が少なすぎだろう。

更に、「明るくて人目が多い場所で駐車する」や「ネットに名前、住所、留守の時を掲載しない」もある。全てがターゲットを縮むことだけだから、リスクが全部消えるのはしない。だけど、このような手を一つ、二つ使って錠をサポートする方がいいだろう。

Corrected:
先週、車の中に鍵を閉じ込めてロックしてしまった。
夜だったし、家族を迷惑させたくなかったから、友達に開ける方法を尋ねた。
結果、電線で外から錠の車内の取っ手を引き上げて開けた。
ただの糸を使ってもよかったが、電子工学部にはレアアイテムだったみたいだ。

電線でも糸でも、そのための道具ではない道具を使ったけど難しくなかった。
車だけではなく、南京錠や安い金庫の錠を開けた経験もある。
普段の文字合わせ錠でも簡単に開けられるらしい。
錠の種類によって、アマチュアの鍵開け屋にもそれほど難しくないものが多くある。銀行の金庫でも必ずしも安全ではない。

言うなれば錠は良い人を唆さないためにある機械だ。
その人の許可無く錠を開けるなら、それを偶然だと言い訳できない。
でも、犯罪をしても構わぬ人は錠を理由に物を盗むことを思い止まらないだろう。だから、他の手で泥棒に得が無い、あるいはリスクが大きいと思わせるべきだ。
銀行の例では、そのセキュリティには金庫まで行かせないシステムが多い。
一般人には、もっとも効率的な方法は二つ:警報機を使うことと貴重な物を見せないこと。
警報機そのものの役割は当然だが、「A社のホームセキュリティシステムに守られる家」の忠告だけでも泥棒される確率が下がる。
押し入る前に、損が大きすぎると思わせる。また、カーテンが閉じた家や中が何も見えない車は押し入る価値を確認できない。
だから得が少なすぎるだろう。
更に、「明るくて人目が多い場所に駐車する」や「ネットに名前、住所、留守の時を掲載しない」もある。

全てがターゲットを縮めることだけだから、リスクが全部消えることはない。
だけど、このような手を一つ、二つ使って錠をサポートする方がいいだろう。

[In addition to regular corrections, the corrected version was adjusted somewhat to fit the 起承転結 format]

While I didn't strictly time myself, just from looking at the clock at the start and finish, the rough draft took me about four hours to complete. For comparison, that's about the amount of time it took me to complete a lab report in my lab classes (including some extra calculations, graphs, schematics, and the report itself), so my composition speed is far from fast, but it's a lot faster than I expected.

I don't know if I'll post them like this in the future or find a better way to show them (hopefully it's somewhat motivational or helpful to see what other people are messing up on and learning from).

I'm going to be writing another one this week, but I haven't decided on a topic yet. I might do something like what I mentioned last week, or I might go with something different.

Speaking:
I read my essay (or whatever you want to call it) aloud while we were correcting it; I probably should have done that before as well, instead of just reading it in my head, since it made a few mistakes that I missed rather obvious. Other than that, just a bit of chatting.
Edited: 2017-06-05, 1:52 am
Quick update:
Just did two example problems from 3.2 that made me do a bit of a double take.

The first was about the author's experience dealing with two kids that beat the crap out of each other and how the author lead them to realize that what they disliked about the other was their own projection.
Had about the same difficulty with this one as I have with most of the problems in this book.

The second was a story with an old man talking to a cat. I answered all the questions with extreme ease. I almost felt insulted: "what did the cat mean when it said "you can talk, huh."?" why wouldn't you be surprised that a guy can talk to cats!? "Why did the cat know the guy's name", not long after he just referred to himself by name... stuff like that.

So apparently my reading skills are still really biased towards fiction. Though I wouldn't say the questions were on the same level, either.
Update:
Anki:
Kanji Production: 891

新完全マスター読解: 3.4

Going a little slower on Kanzen because of Tadoku and impending finals (this week), but I'm almost done with it. After this month, I'll start working on the other books.

Reading:
I've been trying to read a lot, because I really want one of those top five spots... Been aiming for 50 to 100 pages per day.
I've been building up a lot of vocabulary too, but I won't add it until after Tadoku is finished.

Listening:
The weekly stuff and the YouTubes and the documentaries.

Sometime last week, I decided to try watching Little Witch Academia, to see if the hype train was deserved. It's very deserved. This show has had me laughing my butt off with its comedy, and the animation is absolutely gorgeous!
Even if the first thing you think is "Japanese Harry Potter ripoff" (not really, IMO), give it a few episodes.

Writing:
Wrote another short paper (400 - 500 characters) last week, will be writing another later. I forgot to take it to my lesson, so she printed it out and corrected it for me (red ink everywhere...); I'll put it up later after I get a chance to type up the corrected version.
This one only took me about 3 hours, but I think that shows in the number of mistakes.

Speaking:
Little bit of speaking practice during the tutoring session, plus some practice at the group lesson (was super fun again!) with my tutor's friend, who's helping out (I survived it somehow). This month's group session focused on adjectives, which I still manage to mess up while speaking; not during the group lesson, I think, but during my regular tutoring session, since we previewed it there and I had a chance to practice.
JapanesePod101
Update:
Anki:
Kanji Production: 891

新完全マスター読解: 3.5

Been going really slow on everything else since its Tadoku. I already beat my original goal of 1000 pages, so now I just need to knock gaiaslastlaugh out of that fifth place position and my evil plans will be completed!
That being the case, I've been trying to read 50 - 100 pages per day still, but it's pretty hard to do that during the week on top of exercising, school, housework, and everything else. All in all, I think it's going pretty well.

Main reason I haven't added anymore kanji is that I ran out of cards and haven't been able to make myself make more...

Reading:
As above, I already passed my goal of 1000 pages, and am currently at 1225. So far, it's been almost exclusively 盾の勇者の成り上がり. Don't know why, but I got hooked on it again and have already read more than 80 chapters of it (with one chapter being about 10 Tadoku pages) since I picked it back up.
Of course, this means I haven't read much of 狼と香辛料 yet. I really want to though, so even if it has to wait until I burn out on 'Angst Man and His Band of Merry Slaves' (yes, I always make fun of stories I enjoy), I'll be reading it eventually.

And yet I still want to catch up on 蜘蛛ですが、なにか?, since I'm pretty close to being up to date on that one. And then there's those other stories I picked up... I just don't have all this time for reading!

Listening:
Oreimo S3 (a.k.a. Eromanga-sensei) finished. It got pretty bad about half-way through; I think they must have decided that there wouldn't be another season, so they were just going to try to push people to the LN if they were interested, but I think they might have failed that too (I'm certainly not interested). Cameo at the end had me making all sorts of doppelganger jokes to myself (I'm a sad man that watches anime all by my lonesome).

Stopped watching 'Pay Attention to the Gears to See if They'd Actually Work' a few weeks ago, so I should probably finish that up, just to see how bad it can get. Have to say, been getting more entertainment from that than the second half or so of Eromanga-sensei.

ゼロから始める魔法の書 hasn't ended quite yet (or my 'friends' are taking their sweet time getting it out), but it's looking to be my favorite of the season.

... But the season was pretty weak. Despite that, Summer looks just as bad if not worse, save for 'Children Learning to Gamble at Trump University' (gotta learn 'The Art of the Deal') and 'Pause to Read What You Just Saw on Screen, Season... Which one are we on again?', though there's a few more I'll be checking out; will mention them as they come out starting next month.

Anyway, also finished 'Little Witch Academia' (awesome show, watch it); while the second half wasn't quite as exciting as the first half, it was still a great watch. This coming from someone who didn't watch the movie, so I don't know how it compares.

And I've started watching 瀬戸の花嫁 (finished up to episode 7); pretty fun, though somewhat standard young-people romcom. I lost it a number of times (especially on episode 2), so I'll be finishing it to see how well it holds up.
It's pretty good study material too, with all the fast paced comedy; I've had to rewind a couple of times to catch something I missed, which is something I don't have to do too often anymore.

Finally, I'm also catching up on KonoSuba S2. Again, comedy genre is pretty good for listening practice. Don't think this season is as good as the first, so far (though the attempted prison break was pretty funny).

Writing:
Not much of anything, though I'm supposed to write another paper, due in two weeks. I was originally going to write something for this week, but ran out of time (reading and watching anime...), switched to just translating/rewriting the report I did on my antennas made of junk, but ran out of time (reading and watching anime...), then I gave up, because I had other Japanese homework for this week anyway.

I keep messing up some really basic things, but often, I know what I did wrong once its pointed out. I need more practice.

Oh, and I forgot to put up my last one. I'll do that later this week.

Speaking:
A little exercise planning an imaginary trip to Hawaii. Other than making me want to go to Hawaii, this taught me a couple of words that I somehow didn't know (one being 別途) and, again, made it clear I need more speaking practice. One of these days, I'll get just good enough that I won't be too embarrassed to talk to total strangers online... Or I'll throw myself into a grad program at a Japanese university and force myself to get better quickly.
Every day makes the second option more likely.
Quick update:

Timed myself reading today, three chapters of 盾の勇者の成り上がり, took an hour and six minutes.
181 characters per minute.
Update:
Anki:
Kanji Production: 951
RikaiSaves: 479

新完全マスター読解: 終了
新完全マスター文法: 2課

As can be seen above, I finished 新完全マスター読解 and started on 文法; since it's so conveniently spaced out, I think I'll be doing one or two sections per day. This should let me finish in a month or so. Then I'll do the 聴解 one. I don't have tons of mock exams this year, so I'll have to make what I have count.
Actually, I haven't done the mock exam from 読解 yet, so I guess I'll be doing that Friday or something.

Also, started adding new kanji cards again (only have nine days worth remaining; will try to make more before they run out this time). The new vocab cards are from things I saved during Tadoku.

Reading:
I haven't read as much since Tadoku (speaking of, I really need to update that graph that I said I'd update every contest... several contests ago), just some subs, stuff from 新完全マスター, and the usual miscellaneous things. Next round, I think I'll aim for 1000 pages again, since I overshot my goal so much this time.

Listening:
For TV show / documentary stuff, this one with Beat Takeshi keeps showing up, so I've seen/listened to it several times now; I thought it was pretty interesting (and fun; just watch the skits if you don't want to bother with the rest).
https://youtu.be/CcrtyPfLvCw

Finally watched Robotics;Notes. Being that I love semicolons, I enjoyed this series. Unless giant robots make you compulsively hit yourself, I'd recommend giving it a watch.

Watched a few more episodes of 恋愛暴君. Not holding up at the level of the first couple of episodes. Not dropping it entirely, but...

As for new stuff,
I watched the first episode of 賭け狂い last week (and just procured the next one). So far, it's not the Kaiji clone I thought it'd be and the first episode was definitely more 狂い than 賭け (also more boobs). My hopes for it have dropped a bit, but that was only the first episode, so I'll keep watching for now.

Just downloaded the first episode of Made in Abyss, so I'll be watching that as soon as I finish posting this.

Writing:
Finishing up a piece about computers being stupid boxes of rocks for tomorrow. Almost decided to write about the perceived decline in the reliability of news media (personally, I think it's being outstripped by the Internet more than it's declining; though I definitely think the quality is poorer than it was even a decade ago), but that would've been a real pain to finish in one night on top of all the other things I need to do, so I'll put it off (probably indefinitely).

Still haven't upped the last one; guess it'll be a two for one deal after I finish this one.

Speaking:
Getting tutored tomorrow.
I've been thinking I should go find where I hid my guts and give language exchange / finding more friends a try.
I also need to do some more practicing on my own.