Back

My little 2017 lower intermediate thread

(2017-06-13, 10:34 am)ariariari Wrote: Hahahah, that's cute.

DO anki while you walk him! Even if it's just a few cards a day, it's better than letting the reviews just go up and up and up.

This is the little cutie - her name is Chai ("big" dog is Mocha).

Unfortunately, she's too little to walk so when we go outside she gets carried right now, and since I'm juggling two dogs, it's been chaos. xD

It's taken me almost two weeks to get my iPad charged for bed, but I get to do reviews at night again starting tonight! And I'm getting my schedule back under control so I'll have time to add new cards, etc, when baby is napping. Gonna get there.
@Nohika - Cute dog!
For me, I'm kinda shocked that I'm halfway thru the month but my number of mature vocab cards has actually decreased!
I'm now at 5,726. And on the first of the month I was at 5,727.
Most months I feel like I add ~50 mature cards. And I don't feel like this month has been different at all. So we'll see what happens by the end of the month.
So I just had a 30 minute lesson with my teacher. I still haven't finished anki'ing all the kenjyougo rules and exceptions, so we just had a free conversation lesson.

I got bored talking about daily life activities, so I steered the conversation to work, and we wound up talking about monetization strategies for free online content. The word "monetization" is actually in Japanese too, and here's the dictionary definition:

https://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/209330/meaning/m0u/

After reading that definition, I realized that I'm definitely not interested in taking the N3 this year Big Grin

There's just so much vocabulary specific to my work (and consequently related to my upcoming talk in Japan), that it could easily keep me busy in and of itself until December!

I wish that back in 2014 I knew about italki, and had the benefit of having cheap, online conversations with professional teachers about the topic of my presentation months before I actually flew to Japan.

My talk is in December, and I'm *so* grateful to be having these conversations 6 months out!
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
That's awesome, ariariari!! I'm so excited for you. Big Grin

I'm finally getting back to my reviews, slowly but surely. Fitting all my work into puppy's naptimes, which is harder than it sounds since she's going through an OMG DON'T LEAVE ME phase. :p

But! I'll get there.
So I'm still experimenting with how to prioritize my studies over the next six months until my trip to Japan.

I just did a language exchange session with the sponsors of my conference. They are actually on their way to Europe for a conference now, so we focused on helping them with English. Some of the guys have translation-level English. But some were just as bad as my worst students on JET:

Me: What's your name?
<waits 60 seconds>
Him: My name is Tanaka.

This made me realize that I want to get more regular speaking practice in. When I lived in Japan speaking was my best ability, and it was always the most fun thing for me to do with the language. I want to arrive prepared to speak with native speakers. I just scheduled a 30 minute call with my teacher (only $11, I can't believe it!). My goal here is just to improve my speaking ability, and not focus on explaining my research at all.

Since time is finite, though, this means that I also have to remove something. I think that I'm going to slow down the rate at which I add new cards to anki, and probably spend less time reading and watching new material. We'll see how it goes.

But man, I can't believe that this guy is going to Europe to present his research project, and it takes him a minute to say what his name is  Huh Confused
Edited: Yesterday, 11:24 am