Back

My little 2017 lower intermediate thread

(2017-05-16, 9:33 am)nohika Wrote: Do you still look them up as you go?

Yes!
Update for me ... all of a sudden I found myself with 35 unseen cards in my vocab deck. (A result of watching too much anime and talking with friends). I just upped my number of new cards / day to 4. It should be down without a week.

A year or two ago I would have just gone thru the entire unseen in a day or two. But thru experience I've learned that that leaves an "anki hangover" which I always seem to regret later.

I'm hoping that this new, more gradual approach can give me good results with less frustration later on!
(2017-05-20, 10:58 am)ariariari Wrote: A year or two ago I would have just gone thru the entire unseen in a day or two. But thru experience I've learned that that leaves an "anki hangover" which I always seem to regret later.

Uh-oh, and here I did just that today, haha. Dutifully awaiting my srs hangover! Buuu~ut I finally got all the words in Core2k started on iknow! And it "only" took me a little over two years... ouch!
Overall I have 2,381 items started on iknow (that includes one katakana course and a couple of custom Minna no Nihongo courses I used) during ~750 days (I started on May 1st 2015) so I'm averaging roughly 3 new items per day. Hmmm... Could be worse I guess? Though to be honest, I already knew a lot of the words previously (especially in the first few steps) so I should have been somewhat faster. But never mind the average the bigger "problem" is probably my on and off learning (there are multiple months were I didn't review at all). I've been somewhat more consistent during the last half a year or so, but the time before that looks grim...

But well I don't want to talk myself too much down, it feels like a nice milestone! It's often recommended to beginners so it feels nice that I finally finished it as well (though some words definitely still need more review). Yay! I feel a little less beginner-ish now Smile
JapanesePod101
Yeah, this has been working out really well for me. Today I woke up and only had 92 reviews!

Any day below 100 is a win for me Big Grin
Very hard to limit myself to only 4 a day ... especially when I feel like the next dozen or so words are "easy"!

I just remind myself that 4 a day = 30 * 4 = 120 new cards a month, or 60 new words a month. That's 360 new words before I leave for my trip to Japan, which should be plenty Big Grin

What's really funny for me is how high my percent correct is. In the last 30 days my new card % correct has been 95% and my young has been 93%.

I think I know why this is. When I have free time, I tend to "preview new cards". So when I finally actually "add in the new cards", they've already been reviewed quite a bit.
Just finished Shirokuma episode #48!

They only have 50 episodes, so I should finish the whole series by the end of June!
Just finished episode 49. Only 1 more to go!
AND WE'RE DONE!

What a fun adventure that was! Watching all 50 episodes of a Japanese anime. I watched most of the episodes twice: once with no subtitles, once with subtitles. I learned a lot. It was fun!
YAY!

That's awesome!! Congrats, ariariari!! I'm still struggling with getting a schedule set up so haven't been able to ramp up my Japanese study as much as I'd like - but I'll get there!

(Need to resist the temptation to work all the time since I actually like my job now. :p )
(2017-05-29, 11:04 am)nohika Wrote: YAY!

That's awesome!! Congrats, ariariari!! I'm still struggling with getting a schedule set up so haven't been able to ramp up my Japanese study as much as I'd like - but I'll get there!

(Need to resist the temptation to work all the time since I actually like my job now. :p )

Thank you!

Yes, I think that having a schedule has been great for me. I've seen steady progress over the years, and I attribute a lot of that to having a schedule.

In my case the schedule is easy ... when I wake up I need to walk my dog anyway. And it turns out that 2 blocks away is a cafe that let's me bring my dog in. I just sit there with tea and my dog until my anki reps are done. Incidentally, this where I'm writing you from now Big Grin

Congrats ariariari! I actually am about halfway into the series myself. Need to make the time to watch the rest.

I have a similar issue with my scheduling. Got a new job a few months back (again lol) but this time I'm really liking it! I usually get the itch to leave around this duration but it hasn't happened yet. It is also finals week and though I only have 1 online course this term, this week has a lot of material to deal with.

Also took the jcat recently to see just how far I've regressed due to the lack of Japanese studying. Surprisingly listening tends to stay my highest scoring category (acrually scored higher than the last time lol) but that could just be because I listen to the same jrock songs everyday. Tongue Last week I started to listen to audio podcasts too. Hardly understand anything but I can at least keep up and hear most of the syllables put out there. I usually do my listening immersion on my public transit commute to and from work (2-3 hours/day).

June tadoku is coming up too! Maybe I'll actually get closer to hitting my reading goals whatever I decide it to be.
(2017-05-29, 11:21 am)ariariari Wrote:

Thank you!

Yes, I think that having a schedule has been great for me. I've seen steady progress over the years, and I attribute a lot of that to having a schedule.

In my case the schedule is easy ... when I wake up I need to walk my dog anyway. And it turns out that 2 blocks away is a cafe that let's me bring my dog in. I just sit there with tea and my dog until my anki reps are done. Incidentally, this where I'm writing you from now Big Grin

That...is actually a really good idea. Starbucks isn't quite two blocks away (more like 20 minutes), but my doggo likes walking and we could hang out for a bit. Downside is, here you have until like...7am to be home before it starts getting annoyingly hot. Could maybe stretch it out to 8am for the next few weeks.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to being self employed, haha. But I do think I'm going to slot in reading/grammar in the morning before my brain's awake enough to work.
@Nohika. Glad to have given you a good idea. FWIW I attribute a large part of whatever success I have with Japanese to having a set time to do anki. Back when I was an employee I used to look at cards on my bus everyday.

Interestingly, I do the cards even in the morning even though I know that it's often not the most efficient time for me to do them. For example, if I know that I'm taking a bus to my coworking space, then it makes the most sense to do the cards on the bus. But this habit is now engrained in me, and I find that it's just easiest to go along with the flow. I find that if I don't get the reviews done early in the day it bothers me later on. ("Oh, I'm not done with that yet. Ugh.").

I'm now adding 4 new cards a day - I have been for a few weeks. My correct rate in the last month for new and learning are both 93%, and my daily reviews are about 100. I attribute the high percent because when I'm on the bus, say, I preview new cards. Having a habit for doing anki has really helped me.

And because I'm spending less time with anki and still getting good results, it's given me more time for thinks like finishing shirokuma and spending time with my teacher.
I'm still adjusting my sleep schedule some, to figure out when I'm most productive, etc. I do tend to do my cards the last thing before bed, mostly because my brain tends to be more awake later in the day. I think tadoku is going to be annoying at first (because I'm so out of practice), but it'll be nice after a while.
June Stats

Vs. May
New Grammar: 50 - 26 = +11 mature
grammar: backlog of 0, mature of 648 - backlog of 0, with 645 mature = +3
kanji: 739 - 731 mature = +8
vocab: 5,727 - 5,647 mature = +80

Vs. January 1
New Grammar: +50 mature
grammar: backlog of 0, with 648 mature- a backlog of 174 reviews, with 640 mature (1/1) = +182
kanji: 739 mature - 727 mature = +12
vocab: 5,727 mature - 5,416 mature = +311

Big stories this month were finishing all 50 episodes of shirokuma cafe. And doing more grammar with my teacher.

Also, I've recently been adding in 4 new vocab cards a day while keeping my daily reviews around 100!

Note quite sure what I'll be doing next besides talking with friends, taking lessons and anki. Considering rereading some manga or rewatching some anime. (Now that I know more of the vocab, I might enjoy it more). I might also pick up something new. Not sure yet.
Just had a grammar lessons with my teacher and it was great. A real reminder on how self-study just isn't enough for me.

Yes, I can read and watch stuff and add new vocab, and my vocab will indeed increase.

But we spend all of last lesson working on 謙譲語. I knew about "humble language" (without knowing the japanese work for it!). But spending an hour focused on that, and intensely learning all the kanji, vocab and grammar rules is huge.

Now I just have to anki all that stuff so I retain it!
Me: "Totes gonna do more Japanese! Whoo!"

-gets new puppy-

Me: "... -watches free time disappear-"
(2017-06-10, 8:06 pm)nohika Wrote: Me: "Totes gonna do more Japanese! Whoo!"

-gets new puppy-

It's okay as long as it's cute!
(2017-06-10, 8:06 pm)nohika Wrote: Me: "Totes gonna do more Japanese! Whoo!"

-gets new puppy-

Hahahah, that's cute.

DO anki while you walk him! Even if it's just a few cards a day, it's better than letting the reviews just go up and up and up.
Also, I wanted to acknowledge a milestone.

Last week I gave a conference talk in English. This is the same conference talk that I plan to give in Japan in December.

The odds are that in December I will give it in Japanese.

Last Friday I had a skype call with the Japanese conference sponsors, who are super nice and supportive. We started translating the talk. I left the session with a ton of new vocab.

Sigh. This is gonna be a long road.

The good news? It should be much easier than what I did in the second half of 2014, when I was essentially translating a talk on my own (or with the help of local Japanese people who didn't have a background in the technical subject matter of the talk).

Also, back in 2014 I was simultaneously working on my talk *and* preparing for N4 *and* taking a Japanese course in person *and* working thru RTK. (And, of course, working a full-time job).

So at least now I get to work on translating the talk with nice, support subject-matter experts and do lessons just in my free time, on-demand with italki.

Basically, I'm recalling what a nightmare the second half of 2014 was for me, and am trying my hardest to make sure that preparing this talk is different than the last time I did this!
ari, this is an AWESOME opportunity for you! And you're making me feel like a total slacker :-P I have doing a similar talk in our Tokyo office on the slate as one of my 2017 goals, but haven't done *anything* yet to make it a reality. I'm going to start talking with my boss about it tomorrow and see what steps I can take to make this happen in 2017.
Thank you gaia!
Gaia's kind words made me realize that I want to share some more details about what I've been studying.

With my teacher I studied all these rules and exceptions for 尊敬語 and 謙譲語. I have a deck called "new grammar" and I add one flashcard a day for each rule / exception. "New grammar" just means grammar points I've learned with this teacher, who I've been working with for several months now. There are a lot of rules for keigo, so it's taking me a long time to get through these lessons. But it works for me. Honestly, I'm now just happy that I know the Japanese words for 尊敬語 and 謙譲語, instead of relying on their English translations Big Grin

In my initial foray into translating my talk the Japanese guys taught me a bunch of new vocab:

北西
南東
賛辞
社会問題
戦術
戦略
交わり
録画
桁違い

That's when I called it quits and said I had enough material to go on for now Big Grin

So there are 9 words there (18 cards) and I normally do 4 new words a day, so it should only take 5 days. The issue is that I already had a bunch of words from who knows where, so this will actually take me a bit longer.

I guess that now that I have this speech to work on, I should probably decrease the amount of vocab I add from other sources (such as books and anime). I really get a lot out of these grammar lessons, and the speech is obviously important.

Arguably the speech has the potential to be resolved long before the deadline (in December). Or at least, I can at least finish adding in all the new vocab that's a part of the speech before then. But the grammar lessons will certainly not be resolved before then.
Glad to hear things are going so well, ariariari!
If you're not already using suspended cards as a way to deal with leeches, you could always suspend your added cards that have nothing to do with your speech until you're done with that. Or maybe put them in a sub-deck (or whatever they're called).

I'm not much of a speaker, so I was wondering how you prepare for a speech. Once the speech is prepared, do you just practice reciting it? Do you act like you're actually giving the speech? How much do you practice for it?

I don't see myself giving any speeches anytime soon (unless you consider interviews to be speeches), but I thought implementing similar practices might help me with my normal speaking skills.
Edited: 2017-06-14, 11:06 am
(2017-06-14, 11:04 am)sholum Wrote: Glad to hear things are going so well, ariariari!
If you're not already using suspended cards as a way to deal with leeches, you could always suspend your added cards that have nothing to do with your speech until you're done with that. Or maybe put them in a sub-deck (or whatever they're called).

I'm not much of a speaker, so I was wondering how you prepare for a speech. Once the speech is prepared, do you just practice reciting it? Do you act like you're actually giving the speech? How much do you practice for it?

I don't see myself giving any speeches anytime soon (unless you consider interviews to be speeches), but I thought implementing similar practices might help me with my normal speaking skills.

I recommend joining Toastmasters: http://www.toastmasters.org/

In my experience public speaking is a "learn by doing" thing, and they really helped me!