Back

My little 2017 lower intermediate thread

(2017-09-18, 10:14 am)nohika Wrote: You're getting to the point where grammar is hindering you more than vocab? 

Oh, I just meant: If I go ahead with this trip and presentation in December, then I'll need to focus on writing and speaking, and that will necessarily take time away from vocab/grammar and reading/listening. The presentation I want to give is a 30 minute talk that I've given in the past in English

They've given me the option of giving it in English or Japanese. I was always hoping to give it in Japanese. But truth be told, I'm very busy with work right now, and might just give it in English!
So I just told the conference organizers that I'm not comfortable buying a ticket to Japan right now due to all the rhetoric between Trump and the North Korean leader. Kind of a weird situation for me.

It also means that my main motivation for studying Japanese right now kinda disappeared Sad

In other words, today I think is the first time that I have 800 mature kanji cards (+ 66 learn and 392 suspended and buried).

I'm not quite sure how to orient my studies right now, or whether just to put them down all together for a while. Oh well.
(2017-09-30, 10:47 am)ariariari Wrote: So I just told the conference organizers that I'm not comfortable buying a ticket to Japan right now due to all the rhetoric between Trump and the North Korean leader. Kind of a weird situation for me.

It also means that my main motivation for studying Japanese right now kinda disappeared Sad

In other words, today I think is the first time that I have 800 mature kanji cards (+ 66 learn and 392 suspended and buried).

I'm not quite sure how to orient my studies right now, or whether just to put them down all together for a while. Oh well.

Don't put them down completely. You'll regret it when you come back, trust me.

Have you found any entertainment that you want to follow? That's how I always stay on the Japanese train: there's always something I want to read or watch in Japanese.
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
(2017-09-30, 4:26 pm)sholum Wrote:
(2017-09-30, 10:47 am)ariariari Wrote: So I just told the conference organizers that I'm not comfortable buying a ticket to Japan right now due to all the rhetoric between Trump and the North Korean leader. Kind of a weird situation for me.

Don't put them down completely. You'll regret it when you come back, trust me.

Have you found any entertainment that you want to follow? That's how I always stay on the Japanese train: there's always something I want to read or watch in Japanese.

I think you're right. At least for now, I'm going to stick with adding in two vocab new vocab words per day, and watching an anime + doing some light reading on the weekends.

I fully expect this situation to die down eventually, and this to be a reschedule for me as opposed to a cancellation.

October Stats

Vs. September
New Grammar: 78 - 68 = +10
grammar: backlog of 0, mature of 648 - backlog of 0, mature of 648 = 0
kanji: 801 - 780 = +21 (How did this go up so much?)
vocab: 5,938 - 5,911 = +27

Vs. January 1
New Grammar: +78 mature 
grammar: backlog of 0, with 648 mature- a backlog of 174 reviews, with 640 mature (1/1) = +182
kanji: 801 - 727 = +74 mature
vocab: 5,938 - 5,416 = +522 mature

I'm really amazed at how much my kanji has gone up. I think that this month and last month it went up by over 20. And since I don't explicitly study kanji, I just don't know how it keeps on going up so much. But there you go. I guess when I learn a new word or name, I add the kanji for it. And I just wasn't aware that I was doing that this much.

A smaller increase in vocab than I normally see, but as I've recently only been adding 2 new vocab cards a day, I guess that it makes sense.

We're now in Q4 of 2017. I guess if I keep this up I might see an increase of over 100 kanji cards for the year, and maybe 600-700 vocab cards. (And of course, the grammar, which I mostly hate and ignore).

Not bad for a hobbyist-student at all!
Edited: 2017-10-01, 12:16 pm
@ari: I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip. Keep at it with your Japanese studies though!

Sigh I hate that I haven't been actively studying. September was a hectic month with starting school again, working and other life related junk. But getting back on that horse again! Especially since at my current job there have been quite a few 日本人 customers and I've speaking to them in a barbaric form of Japanese lol Confused

Me: *pointing at things* これ?それ?あれ? ヽ(゜Q。)ノ?

It got the job done but I looked like an utter fool. I'm glad the customers were nice to me. They even seemed to appreciate my barbaric Japanese. I was so nervous lol
Edited: 2017-10-02, 1:23 am
Thanks @rawrpk.

You should totally start talking to them about shirokuma cafe.

すみませえん。「しろくまカフェ」というアニメ知ってるの?私は全話見ました。本当に好きですよ。

At least that's what I would do. But then again, I really like practicing speaking Smile
I haven't practiced speaking in YEARS! This job has put me in situation where I had to start speaking again (the customers seemed genuinely confused til I spoke the barbaric Japanese).

My current job is at an a la carte style restaurant and the job is to essentially plate up the food items of their choice and hand it to them when done so they can head to the register. I did say more than what I stated in my previous post, but that was what I mostly defaulted to. I mentioned the restaurant was a la carte アラカルト and mentioned the items: サラド、肉、サンドイッチ、スープ。I was pretty darn nervous but had to be quick about it due to it being a lunch rush so considering I think I did pretty decently. Blush

Next time, if I get another Japanese customer and it's not a rush, I'll definitely mention shirokuma cafe. Big Grin
Sooo ....

A very busy 2 weeks with client work and I let my reviews slide. I feel like this has been happening a lot lately.

Today I'm trying to get back into it, and put a small cap on my reviews to make it more manageable. 

I also watched episode 12 of One Week Friends today. This is the final episode, and I'm glad the series is over. It's pretty much the least enjoyable series I've watched so far. The other two series were Shirokuma Cafe and Orange.

Any advice for a new series to watch?

On my queue I have a few series to choose from: These are all series people have recommended over the years. Basically the way I use crunchyroll is to pick a series and each weekend I try to watch one episode. First I watch it without subs, and then I watch it with subs, and I anki some of the vocab I learn. Sometimes (in the case of Shirokuma and Orange, at least) I also try to read the manga.

Because I watch it first without subs, it's important that it's not too hard: otherwise I won't enjoy it and I'll just give it up. For reference, my last J-CAT score was 171 with a listening score of 48.
Nodame Cantabile is one of my all time favourite series! I'd recommend the drama over the anime, but be warned it's very long. I haven't actually finished it myself.

Edit: I have watched the early episodes many times though.
Edited: 2017-10-21, 11:41 am
I'll +1 Tari Tari - one of my personal faves. I re-watch it on occasion for sheer fun.

I need to check out Nodame Cantabile!
I found Non Non Biyori to be really enjoyable. It's like a chill-out comedy, suitable for all ages but fun nonetheless. I used to watch it whenever I had problems to sleep: I'd either fall asleep, thanks to its slow pace, or -at least- have a fun time while trying not to laugh too loud late at night. Depending on your tastes it can be a little too childish, but I'd give it a try anyway. There's also Non Non Biyori Repeat, which is like a retelling of the same history, but with its own originality. If you liked the first season, I recommend watching that too (OTOH I'm not sure it's exactly "easy" to watch without subtitles: it has a low rate of dialogs per minute, and the conversations are those of children and young teenagers, so in principle it should be accessible... but at the same time, Ren-chon, the younger of the lot, for instance, has her own childish way of saying things, so it can be hard to follow at times; anyway, as said before, I'd give it a try).

I agree with your impression on One Week Friends. I had already read the manga (in English) when the anime came out. I liked the manga a lot, even if it's cliché-ridden, but the anime, while being more or less true to the original story, was very disappointing for some reason I can't really pinpoint.

I don't remember Tari Tari very well, but I think it can be placed in a similar level of difficulty as Orange. I hope I'm not too misleading.

I somehow enjoyed My Love Story, but it's more cliché-y than One Week Friends, in my opinion. I see the same kind of weaknesses in its characters. But you can give it a try and decide for yourself.

Never watched Baby Steps or Nodame Cantabile. The latter is definitely on my list. The former could be on it if I ever find the time.
(2017-10-21, 11:25 am)Splatted Wrote: Nodame Cantabile is one of my all time favourite series! I'd recommend the drama over the anime, but be warned it's very long. I haven't actually finished it myself.

Edit: I have watched the early episodes many times though.

A Japanese friend recommended that series. But to be honest it kinda scares me bc it has real people talking  Big Grin How could I possibly understand them  Angel
Non non biori is a really fun slice of life series. Also, if you want something else easy and fun, try Lovely Muco: http://www.crunchyroll.com/lovely-muuuuuuuco Everything the dog main character says in that series is also shown as Japanese text on the screen.

Nodame is great for the first season but it seems to slowly get worse past that (could just be me), Baby Steps is good but kind of repetitive and the animation is really bad. Still, it's worth seeing if you like sports series. If you are looking for a sports series recommendation, I'd recommend Haikyuu.
Edited: 2017-10-21, 7:27 pm
LOL this NHK Easy article: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k1001118...11000.html

TIL that 日産 is the kanji for the Nissan corporation.

I think a while ago I learned that 日立 is Hitachi.

It's always a bit embarrassing to realize that I don't know how a household name is written in Japanese.

For those who don't know, the 産 in 日産 also appears in 共産.
産 roughly meaning 'production'. So 共産 is 'producing together' -> 'communal ownership of the means of production' (a bit of a jump, but it's two characters long, so what can you do).

There's also 産出 (production/yield) 量産 (mass production) 出産 (child birth) 生産 (manufacturing) 海産 (marine products) 等々

It's nice when they stick to mostly one meaning (though the 産出 vs 出産 might get some people).
Posting this here, since people might find it useful:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/148...escription

It's an anime Kickstarter, but the useful thing is it's got download links for the original short manga it's based on in both mobi (kindle) format & pdf, in both Japanese and English versions. It's also got an introduction video in both unsubbed and English subbed versions.
I figured those might be useful for someone to study from.
Edited: 2017-10-24, 9:52 pm
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

For whatever reason, I picked Non Non Biyori repeat. It has 13 episodes and is about a girl who enters first grade. I don't like. But I'm using my distaste for it to say "I hope that this will be the last thing ever watch about a school kid!" lol Tongue

I've been busy with life and I think that this is the longest period I've gone without doing all my reviews. It's been several years since I started doing anki, and I think outside of missing the occasional day or two, I've always done all my reviews. But for the last month or so it's been extremely inconsistent.

I don't have a great reason why, but it's happening. At least for now I'm sticking with watching an episode of anime on the weekend and reading an article or two in NHK Easy.

Today's top story on NHK Easy makes a lot of use of the kanji 葬: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k1001119...11000.html

If I wasn't so behind in my anki I'd add that kanji and all those words Smile
Edited: 2017-10-28, 12:17 pm
(2017-10-28, 11:32 am)ariariari Wrote: I've been busy with life and I think that this is the longest period I've gone without doing all my reviews. It's been several years since I started doing anki, and I think outside of missing the occasional day or two, I've always done all my reviews.
Heh, me too. I was away last week on a work trip, and though I have anki set up so I can use it on the laptop I take on these trips, I just totally forgot for the whole week somehow, when I'd previously only missed single days, very rarely. Luckily since I'm really just using anki in maintenance mode I only had a 300 or so backlog.
Quote:Today's top story on NHK Easy makes a lot of use of the kanji 葬: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k1001119...11000.html

If I wasn't so behind in my anki I'd add that kanji and all those words Smile
葬式 is pretty common so you'll see it again some time in the future anyway. 火葬 is one of those words I'd say isn't worth actively studying -- both the meaning and reading are immediately clear in context even if you've never encountered the word before, and it's unlikely you'd want to actively produce the word in conversation.
Thanks for replying @pm215! Your response encouraged me to add the kanji and vocab to my anki Smile
So I've been posting monthly updates on my anki for maybe years now. But recently I've stopped doing all my reviews so it doesn't seem to make sense to continue this.

I've been (mostly) keeping up with all my kanji reviews. But I put my gramma decks at 1 review a day, and my vocab deck at 50 reviews a day. And I don't even get all of those!

We'll see what happens. But it's the weekend, so I'm off to read an NHK Easy article

Here's the article I read: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k1001120...81000.html

Fun word of the day; 小文字

This one was fun too: 有機

OK, one more article with a fun word:

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k1001120...61000.html

聖火
Edited: 2017-11-04, 12:08 pm
Here's another gem from NHK Easy. From this article: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k1001121...41000.html

The first line:
アジアの国くにをまわっているアメリカのトランプ大統領だいとうりょうは7日なのか、日本にっぽんを出発しゅっぱつしたあと韓国かんこくに着つきました

Turns out that まわっている has several different meanings. I (of course) only learned "to turn, to revolve". But it also means "to visit several different places". A great example of why just relying on anki for vocab (without reading a bunch), just isn't good enough Smile
And the fade off with Japanese has just continued. Today while doing Anki I just said to myself "Why am I doing this?" and decided to stop doing my anki reviews altogether.

Since I have this thread, I thought to memorialize my thoughts on this multi-year adventure I've had with Japanese, so that if/when I pick it up again, I'll have a nice little place to look at to see what I was thinking when my last Japanese adventure ended.

While I did JET in 2000-2002, I didn't do any studying after that. I came to koohii in 2014 and had a few goals. 1) finally pass N4 and 2) give a conference talk in Japan in Japanese. I accomplished both by the end of 2014.

I decided to continue studying in 2015, and while I unfortunately failed N3 in 2015, I did continue to study and eventually wound up completing several manga series in Japanese and finishing several anime series in Japanese. My biggest accomplishment in the language was probably hitting a J-CAT score of 171 which put me squarely in "intermediate" territory.

If I ever pick Japanese up again seriously, and decide to get better than I was now, I'd probably set a goal of passing N3.

As to why I'm putting Japanese now...

I suppose when I bailed out of my 2017 conference talk that was the beginning of the end of this bout of studying Japanese for me. Yes, the nail in the coffin for me was the situation with North Korea (I was supposed to buy my ticket when US-NK tensions were at their worst). But also, my focus had steadily moving away from Japanese as I felt that a) I didn't have a clear goal for it and b) my work has recently required me to do a lot of studying, so Japanese no longer felt like a break or hobby for me. It felt like a continuation of the same sort of thinking that I've increasingly been needing to do at work.

I expect that I'll come back to this hobby later. But it's just not enjoyable for me right now.
(2017-11-27, 12:38 pm)ariariari Wrote: And the fade off with Japanese has just continued. Today while doing Anki I just said to myself "Why am I doing this?" and decided to stop doing my anki reviews altogether.

Since I have this thread, I thought to memorialize my thoughts on this multi-year adventure I've had with Japanese, so that if/when I pick it up again, I'll have a nice little place to look at to see what I was thinking when my last Japanese adventure ended.

While I did JET in 2000-2002, I didn't do any studying after that. I came to koohii in 2014 and had a few goals. 1) finally pass N4 and 2) give a conference talk in Japan in Japanese. I accomplished both by the end of 2014.

I decided to continue studying in 2015, and while I unfortunately failed N3 in 2015, I did continue to study and eventually wound up completing several manga series in Japanese and finishing several anime series in Japanese. My biggest accomplishment in the language was probably hitting a J-CAT score of 171 which put me squarely in "intermediate" territory.

If I ever pick Japanese up again seriously, and decide to get better than I was now, I'd probably set a goal of passing N3.

I suppose when I bailed out of my 2017 conference talk that was the beginning of the end of this bout of studying Japanese for me.  Yes, the nail in the coffin for me was the situation with North Korea (I was supposed to buy my ticket when US-NK tensions were at their worst). But also, my focus had steadily moving away from Japanese as I felt that a) I didn't have a clear goal for it and b) my work has recently required me to do a lot of studying, so Japanese no longer felt like a break or hobby for me. It felt like a continuation of the same sort of thinking that I've increasingly been needing to do at work.

I expect that I'll come back to this hobby later. But it's just not enjoyable for me right now.

Sorry to hear that ariariari. May I ask what your job / occupation is? Also, to try to cheer you up with a fun fact: your name consist of the word "ari" written 3 times together. Did you know that in hungarian (my mother tongue) the word "ari" is the spoken abbreviation of "aranyos" which translates to: sweet / cute Tongue
All the best in the future.
(2017-11-27, 3:02 pm)Raschaverak Wrote:
(2017-11-27, 12:38 pm)ariariari Wrote: And the fade off with Japanese has just continued. Today while doing Anki I just said to myself "Why am I doing this?" and decided to stop doing my anki reviews altogether.

I suppose when I bailed out of my 2017 conference talk that was the beginning of the end of this bout of studying Japanese for me.  Yes, the nail in the coffin for me was the situation with North Korea (I was supposed to buy my ticket when US-NK tensions were at their worst). But also, my focus had steadily moving away from Japanese as I felt that a) I didn't have a clear goal for it and b) my work has recently required me to do a lot of studying, so Japanese no longer felt like a break or hobby for me. It felt like a continuation of the same sort of thinking that I've increasingly been needing to do at work.

Sorry to hear that ariariari. May I ask what your job / occupation is? Also, to try to cheer you up with a fun fact: your name consist of the word "ari" written 3 times together. Did you know that in hungarian (my mother tongue) the word "ari" is the spoken abbreviation of "aranyos" which translates to: sweet / cute Tongue
All the best in the future.

Ha! That made me laugh. I'm self-employed. Right now I'm trying to focus my business more on technical training. Recently I've been studying a lot of books on Instructional Systems Design and the like. So study for work + study for hobby was just too much study!

I think that I'll likely still pick up the odd article on NHK, and maybe even watch some anime or something. I just can't do it with the same intensity as before!
Sorry to hear that ariariari. I do hope you'll stop by here from time to time if only to say hi and realize you used to be one of us masochists..