Back

My little 2017 lower intermediate thread

(2017-09-18, 10:14 am)nohika Wrote: You're getting to the point where grammar is hindering you more than vocab? 

Oh, I just meant: If I go ahead with this trip and presentation in December, then I'll need to focus on writing and speaking, and that will necessarily take time away from vocab/grammar and reading/listening. The presentation I want to give is a 30 minute talk that I've given in the past in English

They've given me the option of giving it in English or Japanese. I was always hoping to give it in Japanese. But truth be told, I'm very busy with work right now, and might just give it in English!
So I just told the conference organizers that I'm not comfortable buying a ticket to Japan right now due to all the rhetoric between Trump and the North Korean leader. Kind of a weird situation for me.

It also means that my main motivation for studying Japanese right now kinda disappeared Sad

In other words, today I think is the first time that I have 800 mature kanji cards (+ 66 learn and 392 suspended and buried).

I'm not quite sure how to orient my studies right now, or whether just to put them down all together for a while. Oh well.
(2017-09-30, 10:47 am)ariariari Wrote: So I just told the conference organizers that I'm not comfortable buying a ticket to Japan right now due to all the rhetoric between Trump and the North Korean leader. Kind of a weird situation for me.

It also means that my main motivation for studying Japanese right now kinda disappeared Sad

In other words, today I think is the first time that I have 800 mature kanji cards (+ 66 learn and 392 suspended and buried).

I'm not quite sure how to orient my studies right now, or whether just to put them down all together for a while. Oh well.

Don't put them down completely. You'll regret it when you come back, trust me.

Have you found any entertainment that you want to follow? That's how I always stay on the Japanese train: there's always something I want to read or watch in Japanese.
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
(2017-09-30, 4:26 pm)sholum Wrote:
(2017-09-30, 10:47 am)ariariari Wrote: So I just told the conference organizers that I'm not comfortable buying a ticket to Japan right now due to all the rhetoric between Trump and the North Korean leader. Kind of a weird situation for me.

Don't put them down completely. You'll regret it when you come back, trust me.

Have you found any entertainment that you want to follow? That's how I always stay on the Japanese train: there's always something I want to read or watch in Japanese.

I think you're right. At least for now, I'm going to stick with adding in two vocab new vocab words per day, and watching an anime + doing some light reading on the weekends.

I fully expect this situation to die down eventually, and this to be a reschedule for me as opposed to a cancellation.

October Stats

Vs. September
New Grammar: 78 - 68 = +10
grammar: backlog of 0, mature of 648 - backlog of 0, mature of 648 = 0
kanji: 801 - 780 = +21 (How did this go up so much?)
vocab: 5,938 - 5,911 = +27

Vs. January 1
New Grammar: +78 mature 
grammar: backlog of 0, with 648 mature- a backlog of 174 reviews, with 640 mature (1/1) = +182
kanji: 801 - 727 = +74 mature
vocab: 5,938 - 5,416 = +522 mature

I'm really amazed at how much my kanji has gone up. I think that this month and last month it went up by over 20. And since I don't explicitly study kanji, I just don't know how it keeps on going up so much. But there you go. I guess when I learn a new word or name, I add the kanji for it. And I just wasn't aware that I was doing that this much.

A smaller increase in vocab than I normally see, but as I've recently only been adding 2 new vocab cards a day, I guess that it makes sense.

We're now in Q4 of 2017. I guess if I keep this up I might see an increase of over 100 kanji cards for the year, and maybe 600-700 vocab cards. (And of course, the grammar, which I mostly hate and ignore).

Not bad for a hobbyist-student at all!
Edited: 2017-10-01, 12:16 pm
@ari: I'm sorry you had to cancel your trip. Keep at it with your Japanese studies though!

Sigh I hate that I haven't been actively studying. September was a hectic month with starting school again, working and other life related junk. But getting back on that horse again! Especially since at my current job there have been quite a few 日本人 customers and I've speaking to them in a barbaric form of Japanese lol Confused

Me: *pointing at things* これ?それ?あれ? ヽ(゜Q。)ノ?

It got the job done but I looked like an utter fool. I'm glad the customers were nice to me. They even seemed to appreciate my barbaric Japanese. I was so nervous lol
Edited: 2017-10-02, 1:23 am
Thanks @rawrpk.

You should totally start talking to them about shirokuma cafe.

すみませえん。「しろくまカフェ」というアニメ知ってるの?私は全話見ました。本当に好きですよ。

At least that's what I would do. But then again, I really like practicing speaking Smile
I haven't practiced speaking in YEARS! This job has put me in situation where I had to start speaking again (the customers seemed genuinely confused til I spoke the barbaric Japanese).

My current job is at an a la carte style restaurant and the job is to essentially plate up the food items of their choice and hand it to them when done so they can head to the register. I did say more than what I stated in my previous post, but that was what I mostly defaulted to. I mentioned the restaurant was a la carte アラカルト and mentioned the items: サラド、肉、サンドイッチ、スープ。I was pretty darn nervous but had to be quick about it due to it being a lunch rush so considering I think I did pretty decently. Blush

Next time, if I get another Japanese customer and it's not a rush, I'll definitely mention shirokuma cafe. Big Grin