Back

明けましておめでとう!

2017年へようこそ!

Happy New Year everyone! It just turned 2017 here on the East Coast, and that'll slowwwwwly be sweeping across the continent (it's already swept through Asia and Europe).

Mmmm.... yeah. It was a year. I read some Japanese books and watched some Japanese shows, also played my Irish flute a bit. And did work stuff at work. Played too much Hearthstone and a few other video games. A years worth of stuff I guess.

I've got no particular plans or resolutions, hmmm, but, okay, let's make a resolution then that sometime this year I'll get paid to translate something from Japanese. I dunno about a career as translator or anything like that, but I'm pretty confident in both my English writing skills and my Japanese comprehension so there's no reason not to make a little money on the side right?

Other than that, I guess I plan to finish watching everything on Animelon at least once and read some books in Japanese.

Wellll, that was boring I expect, but what plans do you have?
Gonna read some books, watch some anime, play some games, play some instruments, knock out all but the final semester for my undergrad, and hopefully not need to take a third attempt at the N1.

And hopefully the incision from the surgery I had around this time last (last) year will heal and I can get my muscles and stamina back...

Don't really have any resolutions, since I never stick to them, but my main goals for this year are:
- A's in most of my classes (I'd like to stay above a 3.5 out of 4)

- Become able to carry a conversation in Japanese without pausing to think and stumbling over my words constantly.

- Write a(t least one) short paper about a topic related to my field of study (electrical / computer engineering) in Japanese.

- Practice playing both the piano and guitar in the extra time I hopefully made for myself.

- Oh, and finding a Japanese novel (fantasy, sci-fi, adventure, maybe mystery) to use as a yardstick, now that my LN reading comfort yardstick has expired.
Expect me to ask for recommendations soon.
Edited: 2017-01-01, 2:16 am
2016 was not a good year for me as I was without a job for 4 months and job searching was stressfull during that period.

Here are my goals for 2017:

- Complete RTK1.
- Pass N3.
- Complete the project in hand at work and make a succesfull presentation to management about it and get praise for it.
- Practice playing guitar whenever you can.
- Get the private life sorted out.
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
Good year, though weird in spots. Got re-married. Got my financial house in order, and re-established good credit for the first time since my divorce. Left my team at work, only to come back four months later as manager of my own group. Managed to get working with our Japanese team worked into my personal development goals.

Japanese-wise, my gaps became more obvious to me this year, especially after spending the year living with a Japanese woman and trying to express my thoughts on a consistent basis. I experimented at points in the year with not using Anki, only to finally conclude this was hampering the development of my stockhouse of useful vocab, so I ended up coming back to Anki in a way that I find manageable on a day to day basis.

Despite making progress, I also chickened out on taking the N1, mainly because it butted up against a week working in Las Vegas. I'm unsure whether I'll take a go at it this year. I think I'd rather focus on increasing my Japanese writing and listening, while also keeping my reading up.

Goals:

- Regular listening practice during the week.
- Write several times/week in Japanese.
- Keep my blog going; advertise myself and my skill set a little more actively.
- Keep up my Anki vocab deck
- Prepare to actively look for a job that incorporates Japanese by EOY.
Edited: 2017-01-01, 1:44 pm
(2017-01-01, 1:43 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: Good year, though weird in spots. Got re-married. Got my financial house in order, and re-established good credit for the first time since my divorce. Left my team at work, only to come back four months later as manager of my own group.  Managed to get working with our Japanese team worked into my personal development goals.

Japanese-wise, my gaps became more obvious to me this year, especially after spending the year living with a Japanese woman and trying to express my thoughts on a consistent basis. I experimented at points in the year with not using Anki, only to finally conclude this was hampering the development of my stockhouse of useful vocab, so I ended up coming back to Anki in a way that I find manageable on a day to day basis.

Despite making progress, I also chickened out on taking the N1, mainly because it butted up against a week working in Las Vegas. I'm unsure whether I'll take a go at it this year. I think I'd rather focus on increasing my Japanese writing and listening, while also keeping my reading up.

Goals:

- Regular listening practice during the week.
- Write several times/week in Japanese.
- Keep my blog going; advertise myself and my skill set a little more actively.
- Keep up my Anki vocab deck
- Prepare to actively look for a job that incorporates Japanese by EOY.
Do you use McD format for anki?? 

Nowadays I only do it in McD format and it's definitely manageable. I spend like less than 3 secs a card on average. For me the traditional format of front word or sentence and back with the definition or explanation never did anything for me. It became especially apparent when I reached intermediate/advanced.
Edited: 2017-01-01, 1:57 pm
(2017-01-01, 1:57 pm)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: Do you use McD format for anki?? 

Nowadays I only do it in McD format and it's definitely manageable. I spend like less than 3 secs a card on average. For me the traditional format of front word or sentence and back with the definition or explanation never did anything for me. It became especially apparent when I reached intermediate/advanced.

I don't - I've tried and didn't like it. The traditional vocab format for me is fine; it was mainly a matter of reviews taking too long. I've compensated for this by changing increasing the number of steps for new cards, and spending more time studying new cards (adding images, finding more example sentences, etc.). Most critically, I don't automatically add new cards every day; I only add new cards through Custom Study when my review load is low, and I have the time to flesh out the new cards with the additional content I mentioned above. I still add about 400 words or more a month, and it's much more sustainable for me.
Edited: 2017-01-01, 2:29 pm
(2017-01-01, 2:29 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:
(2017-01-01, 1:57 pm)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: Do you use McD format for anki?? 

I don't - I've tried and didn't like it. The traditional vocab format for me is fine; it was mainly a matter of reviews taking too long. I've compensated for this by changing increasing the number of steps for new cards, and spending more time studying new cards (adding images, finding more example sentences, etc.). Most critically, I don't automatically add new cards every day; I only add new cards through Custom Study when my review load is low, and I have the time to flesh out the new cards with the additional content I mentioned above. I still add about 400 words or more a month, and it's much more sustainable for me.

Wow 400 is a lot... at least for me I try to set my goals low at least with anki. Like I've been trying to generate 10-20 cards per week for Korean and Japanese ( im more than satisfied with 52x 10=520). Since I have a week to do it I've Been able to accomplish this task consistently. Because the McD format works so well for me I know I'm not not putting in waste during efforts. Plus I've streamlined the card making progress by using rikaisama and tweaking the settings to my card format needs thus saving a lot of time.
Edited: 2017-01-01, 2:36 pm
(2017-01-01, 2:34 pm)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: Wow 400 is a lot... at least for me I try to set my goals low at least with anki. Like I've been trying to generate 10-20 cards per week for Korean and Japanese ( im more than satisfied with 52x 10=520). Since I have a week to do it I've Been able to accomplish this task consistently. Because the McD format works so well for me I know I'm not not putting in waste during efforts. Plus I've streamlined the card making progress by using rikaisama and tweaking the settings to my card format needs thus saving a lot of time.

LOL - well, I was trying i think 25 to 30 new a day, which is about 750-900/mo. THAT was ridiculous, and I found myself swamped over a period of several months with 220+ reviews/day and a high failure rate. This is a much more sustainable pace. The new deck is only into its third month, though, so we'll see how long I can keep adding at this pace before I have to step it back.

I create the initial cards either with Yomichan (thank you, FooSoft!), or with a Midori vocab list that I run through Epwing2Anki. I like taking the extra time to find images and better example sentences from Yourei, though; I think it helps cement the meaning of the card better for me, especially if I can find an entertaining, memorable image for it.
Edited: 2017-01-01, 2:49 pm
2016 was a pretty divisive year for me, but still seriously important. On one hand, my semester in Japan was one of the most personally-trying times of my life (I had one heck of a bout with depression those last few weeks), but at the same time, I made a lot of progress. In 2016, I managed to:

-Read my first full novel in Japanese.
-Complete my Honors graduation thesis on the Japanese translation of one of my favorite novels (the novel mentioned above)
-Meet with the translator of said novel in Japan
-Pass the N1 with a perfect score in 読解
-Graduate Summa Cum Laude with a double major in English/English Secondary Education

Moving forward, I'm hoping I'll be able to return to Japan this July as a CIR through JET, and get my feet wet in the translation industry. In terms of learning goals, there are a few big things I want to work towards:

-Perfecting my accent to native/near-native levels (mainly in terms of pitch-accent, e.g. things like 花が vs. 鼻が). This goes from being mostly doable at times, to incredibly difficult to me at times, so I plan on doing as much shadowing/conversation practice as I can this year.

-Not getting nervous when speaking to someone I don't know in Japanese. As it stands, my Japanese is usually pretty good when I'm comfortable around the person, but as soon as I get nervous or self-conscious about sounding weird or saying something off, my mouth dries up and I'll end up making more accent mistakes than usual. As such, I need to get over this and stop fearing failure/judgment so much. I guess the only way to do this is with more practice, which is why I'm going to try and do as much as I can over Tandem while I'm still in the US. There aren't too many Japanese speakers in my neck of the woods, so I've got to do everything I can on my own.

-Read even more in Japanese, and use this as a base for my translation work. Right now, I'm reading 記憶屋 by 織守きょうや, and when I finish, I'm planning on starting a blog to translate the novel into English, bit by bit. I'm hoping to use this as a start to a translation portfolio. I may try my hand at online translation work as well.

-Raise my listening skills to the same level as my reading. Outside of my conversation practice, I need to do everything I can to improve my listening with all types of Japanese (you'll never confound me again, old-man Japanese!). I'm thinking exploring the Japanese side of YouTube might be a good start.

-Learn more slang and maybe even a few net-centric terms.

Oh, that, and actually getting through the interview process to become a CIR. That's a big one, too. Tongue
Edited: 2017-01-01, 5:06 pm
あけましておめでとう!

Out with the horrible year 2016! And in with...an even worse year.
(2017-01-01, 8:59 pm)Sembei Wrote: あけましておめでとう!

Out with the horrible year 2016!  And in with...an even worse year.

Aside from having an open wound on my back and four surgeries to try and get it to close, 2016 was a pretty sweet year for me, and I can see 2017 being even better.

If I could transfer some of my good spirits for you, I would.