Back

JDrama suggestions.

For business, there is a drama from 2005 called "Koi ni Ochitara: Boku no Seiko no Himitsu (Falling in Love: The Secret of My Success)". You can just search for "Koi ni Ochitara". It is about a former software company entrepreneur that went through bad times and eventually had to work at a factory making screws. In the show, he gets a lucky break at a popular company and rapidly rises through the ranks.

Don't be fooled by the title. There is very little "falling in love" or romance in this show. It is very light hearted show that i thought was really fun to watch.

Summary (Koi ni Ochitara):
A success story with depth involving work, love and friendship. Its setting is an IT enterprise which once basked in the limelight because it tried to take over management of a pro-baseball team. There's the entrepreneur who's acquired immense wealth with business success. The man who becomes his apprentice shows his ability in the firm and makes an upward climb. In depicting these events, the drama poses the question: What is real success in life? -
-----------------
Another show with some business is PRICELESS

Summary(PRICELESS):
Kimura Takuya returns to Monday nights at Fuji TV as an ordinary salary man, Kindaichi Fumio, who is loved by colleagues and trusted for his ability to protect subordinates. One day, however, things take a 180 degree turn and his life becomes completely flipped upside down. His superiors fix their eyes on him and concoct a plot to bring him down. He is held responsible for a crime he has no recollection of, and is forced to leave his position. More unfortunate events follow as Kindaichi loses literally everything from his cellphone to his home, ending up without a penny in his pocket. Shocked by his losses, he one day meets two children in the park by chance who teach him how to get by without any dependency on money. The greatest thing about Kindaichi's character is that his character never fails him. He always has a carefree attitude and is driven by those people he meets, who love and support him, not by inflicted pain or grudge against others.

Despite being the man who has lost all his possessions, Kindaichi continues to move forward, inspiring his former boss, Moai Kengo, and conservative office co-worker, Nikaido Aya, resulting in a big turning point for each of them. What is it that money can't buy? What is the most precious thing in life? A man tells the story of finding that "priceless" something in life, through unpredictable turns and twists with a light comedy touch.

-----------------

Finally, there is a sci-fi action drama called "Ando Lloyd". The main characters is a physics professor and his daughter also works in his research group.

Summary (Ando Lloyd):
Matsushima Reiji is a genius physicist who studies wormhole theories. One day, Reiji is killed. It is unknown whether his research on wormhole theories caused his death or not. His fiancée Ando Asahi is a capable career woman working at a large IT company. After Reiji's death, somebody is trying to kill her. Lloyd, who looks exactly like Reiji, suddenly appears in front of her. Lloyd came from the year 2113. His mission is to protect Asahi from any harm. Without Asahi's knowledge, Lloyd fights to protect her. Lloyd doesn't know what "love" is and doesn't understand human anger or sadness. At first, Asahi doesn't like Lloyd, but slowly her feelings start to change.
Edited: 2016-12-16, 9:46 pm
(2016-12-16, 4:25 pm)chamcham Wrote: So it is a little weird that you saw the Korean version first and then just started the Japanese version. The lead actress in the Japanese version is Inoue Mao. She is a famous actor in Japan. (Link: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Inoue_Mao)

I had not watched any K/C/JDrama before Boys over Flowers.
It was the middle of the afternoon, nothing on, weird title name so I checked it out [3rd episode] they had subtitles, and just kept watching. Then kept watching other KDramas that Omni TV has on in that time slot for almost a year I guess.
I only just now started watching the JDrama. I read about the series on Wiki when I was watching the K Version.
There are differences between the shows but overall they are basically the same, well to me at least.

Interesting thing, I've watched all the KDramas that Omni picked except for 1 which turned me off right away, every character seemed horrible. If that one was on instead I don't think I would ever bother to give KDramas or JDramas a chance. When I first saw FoB I was not actually looking to give the genre a chance, it was just a lark.

(2016-12-16, 9:31 pm)chamcham Wrote: For business, there is a drama from 2005 called "Koi ni Ochitara: Boku no Seiko no Himitsu (Falling in Love: The Secret of My Success)". You can just search for "Koi ni Ochitara". It is about a former software company entrepreneur that went through bad times and eventually had to work at a factory making screws. In the show, he gets a lucky break at a popular company and rapidly rises through the ranks.

Looks very interesting, sadly my google fu only managed to find non subtitled versions. I'll have to put it on the backburner for now.

Priceless is now on my list.
Edited: 2016-12-17, 1:19 am
I'm not normally into dramas, but I started watching Misnight Diner  深夜食堂 and I am absolutely hooked. Great show, and it depicts my favourite part of Japanese society. Doesn't hesitate to depict disenfranchised or vulnerable members of aociety either, which is awesom
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
Oh wow, I didn't think a guy would like Mondai no aru Restaurant, since like almost all the guy characters in it are jerks..although the first few episodes of that were hard to watch, I did like that show, despite the ending being weird...

Forgot to add Don Quixote (http://mydramalist.com/2663-don-quixote) last time. The plot sounds generic, but the acting is great, and the storyline was much more unexpectedly inspiring than I thought it would be.

EDIT: Thought of something else. If you like the time travel aspect of Nobunaga Concerto, you might like Samurai Sensei. It's about a samurai who accidentally time travels to modern day Japan.
Edited: 2016-12-17, 9:02 am
(2016-12-17, 3:06 am)Zgarbas Wrote: I'm not normally into dramas, but I started watching Misnight Diner  深夜食堂 and I am absolutely hooked. Great show, and it depicts my favourite part of Japanese society. Doesn't hesitate to depict disenfranchised or vulnerable members of aociety either, which is awesom

I'm a disenfranchised night owl. Sounds good Wink

(2016-12-17, 8:59 am)Bokusenou Wrote: Oh wow, I didn't think a guy would like Mondai no aru Restaurant, since like almost all the guy characters in it are jerks..although the first few episodes of that were hard to watch, I did like that show, despite the ending being weird...

Forgot to add Don Quixote (http://mydramalist.com/2663-don-quixote) last time. The plot sounds generic, but the acting is great, and the storyline was much more unexpectedly inspiring than I thought it would be.

EDIT: Thought of something else.  If you like the time travel aspect of Nobunaga Concerto, you might like Samurai Sensei. It's about a samurai who accidentally time travels to modern day Japan.

Guys being jerks isn't in and of itself a bad thing. If they were central characters and the women were throwing themselves at them it would be rough but they seemed mostly to be there to provide a reason for the leads to do things.
I skipped the first episode more because I was getting impatient at waiting for the restaurant part to happen, it was all backstory. Also most of it wasn't really needed as the other eps covered everything you needed to know. I  love Nobunaga's concerto but if they didn't get to the time travel till the second ep I'd be like "come on already make with the plot"

I will have to put Samurai Sensei on the top of the list for next show to watch.
Edited: 2016-12-17, 6:10 pm
We just started watching 逃げるは恥だが役に立つ with Aragaki Yui - quite fun romantic comedy. If you look for the "ZhuixinFan" version, you'll even find it with hard-coded J-subs.

Another similar series is 世界一難しい恋, which has also gotten the ZhuixinFan treatment.

Both series are highly "talky" with lots of fun, fast-paced dialogue. Makes for good repeated practice.
Edited: 2016-12-21, 10:58 pm
(2016-12-21, 10:57 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: We just started watching 逃げるは恥だが役に立つ with Aragaki Yui - quite fun romantic comedy. If you look for the "ZhuixinFan" version, you'll even find it with hard-coded J-subs.

Another similar series is 世界一難しい恋, which has also gotten the ZhuixinFan treatment.

Both series are highly "talky" with lots of fun, fast-paced dialogue. Makes for good repeated practice.

I know 0 Japanese. I've been thinking maybe put a hold on watching the shows till I can use them for language practice. However your first suggestion sounds pretty good actually I might just watch it now.

My whole JDrama experiment was for me to wonder if I should put Japanese on my language TDL. I don't want to watch too much up front. I am very much inclined to add the language, just not at the front of the list.
The 11th and final subtitled episode of Nigeru wa Haji da ga Yaku ni Tatsu just popped up.
Best of the bunch so far. Even the Chinese GF who only saw the second episode liked it and she is not only picky but also has an anti Japanese bias like the good little Maoist she is [sigh] although she didn't seem to have a problem with me running RTK when we met.

The right combo of humour and drama. I even grew to like the theme song and dance number. Nice eye candy, both the "Aunt" and the female lead, especially the latter, very endearing.

Finished Samurai Sensei. Also pretty good. A nice combination of humour, drama and story line.

Not sure what I will try next or if I should take a break.

Anyhow thanks for all the help again.
逃げ恥 was really well done, and very sweet. This is what I love in a Japanese drama - good script, decent acting, and in the end, a sweet story about characters who are either striving to do right, or just find their place in the world. It's a nice contrast to the cynicism and grittiness that dominates American TV.

I'll also watch anything with 新垣結衣 in it - she's adorable. If you're interested in seeing more of her, she played Tendou Akane in the らんま live action adaptation a few years back, co-starred in Legal High (which is pretty damn funny in its own right), and played the titular character in 掟上今日子の備忘録.

Tossing out another rec - we just started watching 結婚できない男, starring 阿部寛. (EN subs available for this one; no JP subs, so if you're learning you'll have to jump w/o a net). Seems like a typical Japanese romance plot (broken, unloveable shut-in learns to love), but with a less than predictable plot and good comic timing. It's also interesting seeing Abe, who is one of the best-looking men in Japan, act the part of a frumpy, somewhat frightening misanthrope.
Edited: 2017-01-02, 11:15 am
I've been enjoying Tokyo Midnight Diner lately. I have a feeling I'm going to get sick of it before too long since it's just a few people talking every night in the same izakaya, but then again Cheers lasted for a decade or so.
(2017-01-02, 11:06 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: 逃げ恥 was really well done, and very sweet. This is what I love in a Japanese drama - good script, decent acting, and in the end, a sweet story about characters who are either striving to do right, or just find their place in the world. It's a nice contrast to the cynicism and grittiness that dominates American TV.

I'll also watch anything with 新垣結衣 in it - she's adorable. If you're interested in seeing more of her, she played Tendou Akane in the らんま live action adaptation a few years back, co-starred in Legal High (which is pretty damn funny in its own right), and played the titular character in 掟上今日子の備忘録.

Tossing out another rec - we just started watching 結婚できない男, starring 阿部寛. (EN subs available for this one; no JP subs, so if you're learning you'll have to jump w/o a net). Seems like a typical Japanese romance plot (broken, unloveable shut-in learns to love), but with a less than predictable plot and good comic timing. It's also interesting seeing Abe, who is one of the best-looking men in Japan, act the part of a frumpy, somewhat frightening misanthrope.

I'll give Legal High, Okitegami.... and Kekkon Dekinai Otoko a shot.

I do like the girl mentioned above but she does look better with short hair. More adorkable than adorable but that's the way uh huh uh huh I like it, if you will pardon the KC and the Sunshine Band reference.
Just finished watching "Subete ga F ni Naru" (based on the novel of the same name). Very clever, plot driven detective drama (though the characters are compelling too), 10 quality episodes. Has both eng and jap subs.

Another good thing is that the two leads are pretty understated, there's no over the top acting like in a lot of jdramas.
Edited: 2017-02-03, 1:31 pm
すべてがFになる is a fine anime, I'd recommend it as well... but have to say my expectations, based on the first few chapters, got too high to be fulfilled by the last part of the series. Nonetheless, nice show and gorgeous opening and ending (If feeling pedantic just by understanding almost all the philosophical references the characters drop here and there wasn't enough, the ending puts the icing on the cake: 7/8 rhythm for the music, cellular automata everywhere, a unix-like system booting, silicon dyes, lego pieces, motif / lesstif GUI windows, fractal curves... oh, and the source code used for its production was released somewhere on github IIRC... yeah, here comes that feeling again: I'm a freaking nerd and there's nothing I can do but embrace it Big Grin)
Gonna shamelessly plug the classic Liar Game (all derivatives) and Galileo was awesome too (if you like physics/science hardcore).

Oh and SPEC. (Japanese X Files kinda)
Just saw the first ep of Tokyo Tarareba Musume - quite funny. I've had the manga on my short list, but haven't gotten a chance to read through it yet.

BONUS: Tarareba is available on ZhuixinFan with embedded Japanese subtitles.
Edited: 2017-02-03, 10:40 pm