Back

Who else is writing the N5 tomorrow?

I'm doing the N5 tomorrow.  For anyone else, good luck!  Please wish me luck!  Thanks.
I'm not doing it but good luck Wink
(2016-12-03, 7:06 pm)Iuri_ Wrote: I'm not doing it but good luck Wink

Thanks! Smile
6-Month Challenge: Get 6-Month Premium for $66 or Premium PLUS for $166 (June 19th - 30th)
JapanesePod101
(2016-12-03, 7:06 pm)Iuri_ Wrote: I'm not doing it but good luck Wink

+1!

I remember how わくわく I was for the N4 - good luck!
Good luck! がんばって!
Well, I wrote the N5 today and I think I bombed really badly.

I felt that I answered the written part (vocabulary and reading/grammar) flawlessly but the trouble was when we got to the listening part (the "tyookai"). While the muffled voices were coming out over the loudspeakers (the venue has a really shitty sound system, it sounded like an old cassette player with the volume up too high) I was like "what?.......WHAT?......can they repeat that?....Huh?.....Huh?...What?.......Shit I missed that......that's sounds too muffled.....shit--couldn't make that out.....I'll have to just guess the answer for this one....*sigh*.

Plus it was weird because a few times it seemed like my mind was wandering, like one question where I realized I hadn't paid attention to whether the question was about what the onna no hito wa wanted to do or the ototoko no hito wa wanted to do but then they were already saying the multiple choice alternatives.

Part of it might have been that I was tired from doing the written part.  Or simply that I'm not ready and need more practice.  I did ok on the sample N5 audio test. But it was definitely also the lousy sound system.  When I listen to stuff over headphones at home I can make out a lot more.  When the woman asked if we could hear ok, I should have raised my had and asked her to boost the treble (not that she would have understood what "treble" is; she was a grim faced, middle aged Japanese woman with no apparent sense of humor).

I think the tyookai on the actual test was harder than the practice material, also I think it was grammatically more complex than the written part.

Let's put it this way:  if you could do the listening part perfectly than the written part would probably be way too easy for you.

It would be like having a test where the written part was based on sentences from a paperback romance novel but the listening part was recitations from Shakespeare's plays [exaggerating a bit here].

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I failed because of the tyookai.  Too bad they don't mingle the written and audio marks together.  I would have passed for sure then.
Edited: 2016-12-05, 1:46 am
Well, today I checked the online results and I passed the N5!  I guess I did a bit better on the listening part than I thought.  (Either that or everyone did so badly on the listening part that they had to bell the marks upward).

I didn't do as well though on the written part as I thought.

Well the important thing is I passed so I can get that boost to my ego!
(2017-01-31, 4:40 pm)phil321 Wrote: Well, today I checked the online results and I passed the N5!  I guess I did a bit better on the listening part than I thought.  (Either that or everyone did so badly on the listening part that they had to bell the marks upward).

Congrats!
(2017-01-31, 11:09 pm)SomeCallMeChris Wrote:
(2017-01-31, 4:40 pm)phil321 Wrote: Well, today I checked the online results and I passed the N5!  I guess I did a bit better on the listening part than I thought.  (Either that or everyone did so badly on the listening part that they had to bell the marks upward).

Congrats!

Thanks!  I'm so happy I passed.  Now my goal for 2017 is to write (and pass) the N4!  It would have sucked to have to rewrite the N5!