Back

TV series suggestions (non Japanese)

Hey all! I need some little help here, I'm out of tv series to watch and I don't know what to watch next.
I'm going to watch this with my family so nothing japanese lol

I've watched breaking bad, game of thrones, the wire, prison break, better call saul, the walking dead, fringe, lost, person of interest, alias, true detective (1st season), fargo, stranger things, dr house.

I've selected those four but feel free to suggest other series too: house of cards, american horror story, black mirror, making a murderer. What do you suggest to pick from those and why?
Edited: 2016-12-05, 12:46 pm by ファブリス
I personally can't suggest which to pick from the 4 shows you listed as I never watched them myself. Here are some show I like:

-The Flash
-The Mentalist
-Daredevil
-Lucifer
-Luge Cage
-Star Wars: Clone Wars
-Star Wars Rebels
-Designated Survivor (new series. I really enjoy it)
-Chicago Fire
-Chicago Med
-Chicago PD
-Sherlock
-Archer

If you want more shows, let me know! These were just the ones I can think of at the top of my head. Big Grin
Edited: 2016-11-17, 3:45 pm
For something a little obscure, check out Chance. Even though Hugh Laurie plays a doctor, it's nothing like House...but just as good.

More obvious ones are Jessica Jones, Peaky Blinders, Westworld, The Americans, Fringe.
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
If you don't mind something a little older, Deadwood came out around the same time as the Wire and it's one of my favorites. The story arc is of a small frontier town progressing from lawlessness to law and order over the course of the series. There's some really great acting and characters. Rumor is they are finally making a movie which will continue/wrap up the storyline.

Oh and Narcos was pretty good. I really love historical dramas. The actors look pretty much like the real people and filmed in some of the same locations as the real events. They also do a good job of mixing in archival footage of the actual people and events to help with authenticity. Although some people and events were changed, most of the pivotal events that we know about Pablo Escobar were faithfully portrayed in the series.
I just finished watching Rome and it was one of the best series I've ever watched, for sure it's in the top 3.
How about Petticoat Junction?
The Flash, Continuum, Granada's Sherlock Holmes, Stargate SG1 (1 season is rocky and you can skip most of it), Orphan Black, Eureka, Dark Matter.

If you don't mind going a bit reteo, Quantum Leal, Star Trek: The Next Generation (skip season 1), and Babylon 5 are great.

Fringe is my favorite of all time, but seems like you watched it!! I really want to rewatch it sometime soon.
wow so many suggestions! Thank you! But now I don't know where to start from lol
I like Hugh Laurie so I think I'll start with "Chance", I'll let you know if I like it Tongue
Currently watching "Westworld" that it's getting good and also love Narcos and Suits!
I'd like to amend my list of recommendations: Goliath (on Amazon). Best cop/legal drama I've seen since The Wire. So ridiculously well made and acted. And the pacing is just beautiful.

American television is getting really good. Some of these cable/Internet shows are better than most Oscar winning movies. I'm telling you, if all the awesomeness in this show was crammed into a movie, it would win every Oscar this year.
Edited: 2016-11-27, 9:52 pm
(2016-11-27, 9:48 pm)Stansfield123 Wrote: I'd like to amend my list of recommendations: Goliath (on Amazon). Best cop/legal drama I've seen since The Wire. So ridiculously well made and acted. And the pacing is just beautiful.

American television is getting really good. Some of these cable/Internet shows are better than most Oscar winning movies. I'm telling you, if all the awesomeness in this show was crammed into a movie, it would win every Oscar this year.

It looks pretty interesting! As for now I'm still watching "westworld" as suggested by kassia (by the way, thank you, it's really good!)
I'll add it to the top of the list to watch next, thank you stanfield!
Westworld is great. Unfortunately, the season finale just aired, and HBO is going to take their sweet time with season 2. ETA 2018, from what I read.
I subscribe to every series mentioned here (some I've already watched, most are still queued up), I just miss one on the list: Shameless (the American one, with William H. Macy; sorry, never had a chance to watch the original, British one).

Also, if you're into Spanish (and specially into Spanish history), I can recommend "El Ministerio del Tiempo" ("The Ministry of Time"), or at least the first season. Have to watch it yet, but every one I know were delighted by it. It's main theme is similar to (and the series was made before) "Timeless" and, after watching a couple episodes of the latter, I think the former will be way better anyway (though, talking about plagiarism, "Quantum Leap" was also pretty good and started in the 80's). If anything, not every other series has (*spoiler alert*)Diego Velázquez doing facial composites(*/spoiler alert*) Big Grin.
if you haven't seen The Sopranos yet, it's never too late. Although it does have that 90's feeling to it.
if the 90's are not your cup of tea, then ...
Downton Abbey! I am watching it in Japanese, so I am missing the British accent. Sad