Back

Online Game with Japanese chat

ajy recommendations for a game with a good online Japanese chat?  I tried joining a Japanese guild on WoW a couple years ago but since the game is all English and aside from my guild everyone speaks English... it felt like I was slacking off instead of practicing Japanese. 

I'm not really into games per se anymore but just chatting with and being part of on online Japanese community seems like a great way to use and improve my japanese.
(2016-11-14, 11:36 pm)kraemder Wrote: I'm not really into games per se anymore but just chatting with and being part of on online Japanese community seems like a great way to use and improve my japanese.

Due to this I would highly recommend twitch or even showroom. On either platform its easier to get into the community aspect of it if the streamer is lesser known.
(2016-11-15, 10:17 pm)tokyostyle Wrote:
(2016-11-14, 11:36 pm)kraemder Wrote: I'm not really into games per se anymore but just chatting with and being part of on online Japanese community seems like a great way to use and improve my japanese.

Due to this I would highly recommend twitch or even showroom. On either platform its easier to get into the community aspect of it if the streamer is lesser known.

That sounds interesting (I hadn't thought of that). I'm guessing there's some good discussion that gets going there.
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
There's a lot of f2p mmos you can play with a vpn.  PSO2 works without one.
I'm in Japan so maybe I don't need a VPN? (seems silly that they restrict people to certain regions... Japan is so exclusive)

I tried twitch last night and overall I think it's great. The disparity between English and Japanese people broadcasting is freaking huge however. Are Japanese people using a different service instead?
(2016-11-17, 3:05 am)kraemder Wrote: The disparity between English and Japanese people broadcasting is freaking huge however.  Are Japanese people using a different service instead?

Just based on English vs Japanese speakers it should be around a 12x difference. Is it worse than that for you?

Everyone "big" in Japan that I am aware of streams on twitch so I assume they either want to reach a global audience or there is no competing service here.
(2016-11-17, 3:05 am)kraemder Wrote: I'm in Japan so maybe I don't need a VPN?  (seems silly that they restrict people to certain regions... Japan is so exclusive)

I tried twitch last night and overall I think it's great.  The disparity between English and Japanese people broadcasting is freaking huge however.  Are Japanese people using a different service instead?

http://live.fc2.com & youtube (search for "live" without quotes on youtube and that'll show you a channel with live streams. If you have your account language set to Japanese, you'll see mostly Japanese streams) have some live gaming streams, but I'm not really a gamer so I haven't tested them.
(2016-11-17, 4:38 am)tokyostyle Wrote:
(2016-11-17, 3:05 am)kraemder Wrote: The disparity between English and Japanese people broadcasting is freaking huge however.  Are Japanese people using a different service instead?

Just based on English vs Japanese speakers it should be around a 12x difference. Is it worse than that for you?

Everyone "big" in Japan that I am aware of streams on twitch so I assume they either want to reach a global audience or there is no competing service here.

For me it's much worse than 12 to one.  It probably varies by game of course... I like Warcraft a lot and there's over 12,000 channels.  Maybe 10,000 English?? I don't know really... but ZERO of them are Japanese (right now).  It's 5 pm on a Saturday in Tokyo right now.  Granted, WoW isn't very big in Japan and there's not a localized version of the game (at least officially, I believe there's an add on that will localize a lot of the game).  The most popular game in Japan I think is League of Legends.  I don't see much Nintendo.. I was expecting tons of Nintendo for some reason.  

But it's not about quantity.  I found a channel with a cute Japanese girl playing Final Fantasy and there's a good amount of people in her room chatting so that one channel makes Twitch pretty good.
FFXIV.
(2016-11-26, 3:10 am)kraemder Wrote: For me it's much worse than 12 to one.  It probably varies by game of course... I like Warcraft a lot and there's over 12,000 channels.  Maybe 10,000 English?? I don't know really... but ZERO of them are Japanese (right now).  It's 5 pm on a Saturday in Tokyo right now.  Granted, WoW isn't very big in Japan and there's not a localized version of the game (at least officially, I believe there's an add on that will localize a lot of the game).  The most popular game in Japan I think is League of Legends.  I don't see much Nintendo.. I was expecting tons of Nintendo for some reason.

The ratio is pretty good with games that are big in Japan. It also helps if the game is actually sold here. Even Call of Duty has plenty of streams because its localized and decently advertised. For Warcraft it's a super niche game. Even if someone streamed it in Japanese who would know to watch it? I would image FF14 has a lot of streams though.

It's trivial to stream PC and PS4 games but to do a Nintendo system would require some kind of extra setup. There are a few people who go through the effort on YouTube but I guess no one finds it worthwhile on Twitch.

(2016-11-26, 3:10 am)kraemder Wrote: But it's not about quantity.  I found a channel with a cute Japanese girl playing Final Fantasy and there's a good amount of people in her room chatting so that one channel makes Twitch pretty good.

You forgot to tell us the channel name. Big Grin
(2016-11-14, 11:36 pm)kraemder Wrote: ajy recommendations for a game with a good online Japanese chat?  I tried joining a Japanese guild on WoW a couple years ago but since the game is all English and aside from my guild everyone speaks English... it felt like I was slacking off instead of practicing Japanese. 

I'm not really into games per se anymore but just chatting with and being part of on online Japanese community seems like a great way to use and improve my japanese.
osu! has a great japanese chat (and community).
Somewhat related I just noticed Twitch launched communities for discovering broadcasts.

There is a Japan_stream community which seems quite active already.
You can try PS02 which works good. MMOS needs a VPN to access