Back

Re Reading stuff

I'm curious how other people use reading to improve their Japanese.  I don't do a lot of re-reading of material but I could maybe force myself to - I was thinking about it.  With German, I always felt guilty that I rarely re-read a book or chapter to better absorb the material and vocabulary but it just wasn't that interesting the second time.  I don't think Japanese is as forgiving as German and I may be doing myself a big disservice.  In terms of reviewing I have done sentence mining in the past for Anki.  I'm not doing that now.  Re-reading sentences on Anki was just too boring after a certain amount of reviews.
Ive read over a hundred Japanese books. I mine sentences from them by taking pics with my phone so I can keep reading and I think that's the most efficient way( I had to do the notebook pen method before I got a smartphone and there's no advantage to that due to time loss and messy handwriting, miswriting etc). I don't like rereading books in English and I don't do that with books in Japanese. At most I reread a section of a book . 

I think you should do what you want to do. If some book is so amazing it might compel you to reread it

Nowadays I use this format and use notepad to mass import

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/3240296319
Edited: 2016-10-03, 7:51 am
I don't reread in Japanese either -- I find it more motivating to read books where I don't know what happens next, and to keep pushing my 'total books read' count upward. I don't mine sentences or vocab from them either -- since I read paper books it would be too much of a pain.

(I did reread Tanizaki Junichiro's essay on toilets though -- it was short and good enough in style and content to be worthwhile.)
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
As far as Anki goes, that's why I stopped 'sentence mining' and started picking my sentences from dictionaries or example sentence databases (e.g. weblio, space-alc, tanaka). The shorter the better, mostly, although I also factor in the context not being a dead giveaway, demonstrations of useful grammar points, incorporating common useful expressions, etc. ('Not being a dead giveaway' often is the only real deciding factor.)

With books, well, I re-read my textbook cover to cover some years after having finished it --partly due to a long break from practicing Japanese and needing something to kick the rust off, but I think it's worth doing even if you're not in that situation. It didn't take long, since reading the dialogues and examples was trivial compared to reading native material, and it turned out that there were a lot of small but useful points that I had no memory of ever having learned. Once you're no longer struggling to get down the major theme of each chapter it's a lot easier to pick up on the secondary points.

For my entertainment reading, I've got a couple of manga series that I've read several times, as well as rereading the first volume of 狼と香辛料. I only re-read those after a couple of years had passed, but it was really nice to see how far I had come - and of course the vocabulary bar was more or less nonexistent, having added a bunch of terms to Anki. (Not that I didn't need the dictionary at all - I didn't add -everything-, and in a couple cases, the example sentence I had in Anki didn't match the meaning used in the book so I had to look up a word anyway even though I knew one meaning for it.)

The only thing I re-read relatively close to the first reading is the first two volumes of Harry Potter. That was specifically for the reason that I was borrowing some L-R techniques to try to really work on my overall reading and listening comprehension and those volumes have audio books available. I ended up reading each book several times as well as simply listening to the audiobook several times over. Having read the English version of the books and seen the movies, the whole thing was kind of re-reading from the start anyway.

Maybe that sounds like a lot of re-reading, but really, I don't re-read very much of what I've read, and aside from the audiobook practice, I don't re-read very close to the first reading. As time goes on, I'm also less inclined to re-read anything because my comprehension on the first reading is high enough now that I don't think I'll get that 'so much progress!' feeling again... but who knows, I could be wrong about that. It's certainly not as if my Japanese is perfect.

Oh, there is one kind of re-reading I do fairly regularly -- if I discover I've made a mistake in what the subject or topic was, I'll back up and re-read a paragraph (or several paragraphs in extreme cases). Sometimes an author can go on for quite awhile without stating the actual subject that is acting or being described, or similarly when people are speaking the speaker is often unstated and needs to be correctly understood from what they say or how they say it. With a reading error like this, it's important and worthwhile to re-read for two reasons - to look for the clue where you missed the implicit subject being set, and also because this kind of error can't really be fixed after the fact. At least for me, I have to re-read with the correct information in mind to interpret the sentences correctly, I can't just mentally revise the misread portion and get any kind of clear understanding. Fortunately this kind of mistake is getting increasingly rare for me as I get more attuned to the clues to correctly interpret on the first reading.
I read a book, learn the new vocab from it, and at some point if I liked the book enough, I reread it. I want to see all those vocab I learned and benefit from knowing them already the second time around. There's definitely a boost in comprehension with the second reading. I'm also collecting a manga series that updates veeerry slowly, so when a new volume comes out I reread the whole series before the new volume.