Back

Suggested Guide for Japanese Literacy Livestreams and Video Archive

This is a monumental and admirable task! I'm following some of those videos and intend to follow more. I wanted to ask you something about the Memrise course (the Suggested Guide for Japanese Literacy). I teach Japanese to Spanish-speakers and since they constantly ask me the same thing online ("how do I begin"?) I'm wondering what would I have to do to provide them with the same kind of material you compiled for the SGFJL course but in Spanish. I know that Heisig's material is already translated into Spanish and so is Tae Kim's guide. I don't think the Kore2k/6k is though. I guess my question is on how you went about compiling and putting everything together. It seems that if I were to do the same I would have to do an awful lot of translating work into Spanish, especially for the Kore part. Thanks!
(2017-01-16, 2:22 am)montecristo73 Wrote: This is a monumental and admirable task! I'm following some of those videos and intend to follow more. I wanted to ask you something about the Memrise course (the Suggested Guide for Japanese Literacy). I teach Japanese to Spanish-speakers and since they constantly ask me the same thing online ("how do I begin"?) I'm wondering what would I have to do to provide them with the same kind of material you compiled for the SGFJL course but in Spanish. I know that Heisig's material is already translated into Spanish and so is Tae Kim's guide. I don't think the Kore2k/6k is though. I guess my question is on how you went about compiling and putting everything together. It seems that if I were to do the same I would have to do an awful lot of translating work into Spanish, especially for the Kore part. Thanks!

Core 2k/6k should have a Spanish equivalent floating around. If not, while it'd take some effort, it's just a matter of translating the English to Spanish with auto-translators then doing a one by one smoothing correction. What I did in addition was improve the English definition so consider doing the same if you have a Japanese to Spanish EPWING dictionary or similar. 

I've still got all the audio clips for Tae Kim, Core 2k/6k and now ADoBJG on top of the spreadsheets. All it takes is the hours to upload it all to Memrise (or just use Anki if you're not a masochist). 

It might be worth it to turn it into a group project. A number of people for instance have helped upload audio and checked for errors. That could be considered.
Thanks for replying. By the way, I'm the one who wrote the movie title Dogma in your video comments.  Big Grin 

I will check out the audio files. The auto-translator idea is perfect. I guess I have kept away from those so much that it never occurred to me to use it as a first step!

I have been an Anki user for about 8 years now and just discovered Memrise. I like Memrise's multiple choice format but from what you say it seems like Memrise might be a pain in the butt to work with. Why is that? Naturally, I don't want any unnecessary pain.
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
Memrise is just really, really difficult to create courses. If you're only a user, you're golden as the gamified system works quite well. If you're making your own material, best to stick with Anki. I'm using Memrise as more a beginner's tool for those that want a full packaged course in a balanced progression between kanji, grammar and vocabulary.
New week. Currently back on SGJL 08 (RTK Optimized part 2) after finishing recording RTK videos for part 1. Currently up to lesson 52 with 12 more to go till moving on to grammar.
I appreciate all the work you've done on these videos. I was wondering, what graphics application are you using to generate those boxes that you write kanji into? I've been looking for a good template that I can print out for written kanji practice, and boxes that I can shrink or expand to different sizes would be cool.
(2017-01-25, 3:40 pm)tanaquil Wrote: I appreciate all the work you've done on these videos. I was wondering, what graphics application are you using to generate those boxes that you write kanji into? I've been looking for a good template that I can print out for written kanji practice, and boxes that I can shrink or expand to different sizes would be cool.
I just searched for a kanji tracing png, saw that format, did a grid of them by doing copy/paste in paint and saved it out as a png. It's also very, very easy to create your own using a spreadsheet like EXCEL by formating a group of 9 cells to make a trace grid for 1 kanji.
New week. Still on SGJL 08 - Remembering the Kanji Optimized part 2. I'm now up to lesson 63 of 74 meaning there'll be 60 hours of training videos when all is said and done sometime next week. In my spare time, I finished a project of creating a spreadsheet of Onyomi/Kunyomi for Core 2k optimized in addition to testing out a learning order for A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar. I have to remember to post those here sometime, but they will be on Reddit.
New week in a new month. Will likely finish up RTK Optimized Part 2 by tomorrow and move on to Grammar Part 3 (Tae Kim and ADoBJG). That area will involve copying over Tae Kim's lessons and formatting them to Memrise in addition to fixing any typos or errors in the TTS audio.
How do you study ADoBJG? Do you think I could only study the key sentences for each grammar point (and maybe study more in depth examples later)?
(2017-02-06, 5:54 am)Kanken Wrote: How do you study ADoBJG? Do you think I could only study the key sentences for each grammar point (and maybe study more in depth examples later)?

I have the entries sorted to match up to how Tae Kim ordered grammar points. When a new entry starts, I read it in it's entirety. I then do all the example sentences for that entry on Memrise which are pretty much set up English sentence + grammar point -> Japanese sentence (has TTS audio also). 

For reviews, it's still about the same, but I try to say the sentence as it should be in Japanese. I'm not strict on this as there's likely no one-to-one translation plus vocabulary can be tough. I treat it more like a "Spaced Reminder System" for the most part.

Anyway, probably best not to bother if you don't have access to the book.
And so begins another week. I'm making my way through Tae Kim part 3 and ADoBJG part 3 now. The pace is good enough that I should be done by next week if all goes well.

After this section, I'm going to do a special recording of Tae Kim Grammar parts 1 and 2 similar to what I did with RTK Optimized Part 1. Hopefully that proves popular even if it's just me reading his website, adding a bit of commentary and then typing in the example sentences. Then it's on to Core 2k/6k Optimized vocabulary part 3 (1001-1500).
New week started yesterday. For the next week or so I'll be recording Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar starting from the Basic lessons and continue to first half of Essential Expressions. It'll be two hours of recording then I'll move into my normal self study session for remaining time.
Hi Nukemarine. I saw your video and i noted that you've disabled the timer.

I have installed this but it doesn't work.

Can i ask you how did you do?

Edit:
Nevermind, now it works. i've just changed the url in the script from http://www.memrise.com/* to https://www.memrise.com/*
Edited: 2017-02-24, 8:59 am
New week started a couple of days ago. Still finishing up the Tae Kim videos (5 more lessons). Also, I finished Course #9 and #15 (Grammar part 03) and will begin Core 2k Optimized part 03 today after the video lesson gets recorded.
New week. Slowly getting through SGJL 10 - Core 2k/6k Optimized part 3. Decided to start populating and advertising my Patreon page on the idea of continual development and improvement of the SGJL project. Also, I'm prepping episodes 3 and 4 of Zettai Kareshi for the Japanese Drama Immersion portion. 

Really looking forward to getting into the Intermediate sections now.
New week. I'm finishing SGJL 10 - Optimized Core 2k/6k Vocabulary this week. Lesson 75 and probably Bonus #4 today followed with Bonus #5 and #6 tomorrow. After that I start on JDI Basic - Zettai Kareshi ep 03.

If you haven't already, check out Japanese in a Year week 10 update on YouTube. There, Shawn Crowder details his completion of his 625 word list and plan to move on to Core 2k/6k word and sentence decks.
New week. Finished SGJL 10 and now moved on to Zettai Kareshi ep 03. Currently it seems to be on a 15 hour pace (10 lessons with 30 minutes on vocabulary and 60 minutes on fifty subtitles) which is bit longer than 10 hours I estimated.

Getting closer and closer to finishing all these "basic" courses and moving on to "intermediate". Looking forward to it.
New week and new month. Saturday I finished up ep 03 of Zettai Kareshi and today will begin both SGJL 11 Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar part 04 and SGJL 16 A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar part 04. I expect these to take 2 to 3 weeks to complete if all goes well.

Slowly but surely making way to finally creating the SGJL Intermediate courses.
Please allow me to randomly interrupt this thread...

On a Certain Other Learning Forum, there is a user who is enamored of memrise, won't pirate and can't afford textbooks, and despite delusions of grandeur is more or less at the '私はイギリス人です' stage, but doesn't really know his kana or kanji very well (IME's are pretty good for letting him push his way through that though.)

Anyway, he's on some lesson path that I rather doubt the efficacy of, and was wondering what memrise lesson you'd recommend for the rank beginner who is half-heartedly studying ('glancing at') Tae Kim and otherwise is just using memrise. (Whether it's you're own creation or not.)
(2017-04-03, 12:57 am)SomeCallMeChris Wrote: Please allow me to randomly interrupt this thread...

On a Certain Other Learning Forum, there is a user who is enamored of memrise, won't pirate and can't afford textbooks, and despite delusions of grandeur is more or less at the '私はイギリス人です' stage, but doesn't really know his kana or kanji very well (IME's are pretty good for letting him push his way through that though.)

Anyway, he's on some lesson path that I rather doubt the efficacy of, and was wondering what memrise lesson you'd recommend for the rank beginner who is half-heartedly studying ('glancing at') Tae Kim and otherwise is just using memrise. (Whether it's you're own creation or not.)

No problem asking on this thread. If he's cool with it, get him connected to the SGJL 04 course which is Tae Kim part 01 which also has video of the lesson. While the course is technically easy, I recommend telling him to "translate" the sentence or word from English to Japanese then check the sentences to see how well he did (and repeat the correct line regardless).
(2017-04-03, 9:11 am)Nukemarine Wrote: No problem asking on this thread. If he's cool with it, get him connected to the SGJL 04 course which is Tae Kim part 01 which also has video of the lesson. While the course is technically easy, I recommend telling him to "translate" the sentence or word from English to Japanese then check the sentences to see how well he did (and repeat the correct line regardless).

Ah, cool, thanks a lot!
New week. Should be finishing up Tae Kim part 4 this week. Started including reading transcripts as part of my review process. Basically, when a group of cards from a drama start popping up, I make a note then go read that part of the transcript (easy as it's every 50 lines so about 1 page).

Finished prep-work on Core 2k/6k Optimized Part 4 so today I'll be uploading audio for Zettai Kareshi ep 04 in preparation for that.
New week. Finishing up Core 2k/6k part 04 either this week or early next week.
Still going. Took a three day hiatus due to a trip to Taiwan but getting back to it today. Should be finishing up SGJL 12 either tomorrow or Wednesday and moving on to JDI - Zettai Kareshi ep 04.