Back

to those who actually do production cards

I remember someone here who posted some images of his production deck, with an anime sceenshot and a cloze-deleted word, but I don't remember who he was. I hope he will read this thread, and other users too if there are other users who do cloze-deletion cards.

I want to know how you deal with synonymous words. Is the context enough to take care of ambiguity?
For example, even if there are many japanese words equivalent to "kidnapping", I still remember the contex in which I learned the word "拉致" so I'm sure if I use that sentence I'll have no problem recalling "拉致" instead of other synonymous. But I suppose it won't be allways this simple, especially for more abstract words with lot of synonymous.

Another thing that I wonder is if, in your own experience, clozed-deleted production cards help with listening recognition.
I'm asking because teoretically, if you are able to produce a word, you will be able to recognize it, most of the time. While the opposite is not always true, especially in a language like japanese, where the written form uses kanji, such a hint which will make recall the meaning so much easier. Hint which disappears when you listen to the word (or read it in hiragana).

So that, if I read 囚人 I will recall both reading and meaning without any problem (囚 + 人 is so obvious), while if I hear "しゅうじん" I won't be able to recall the meaning, no matter how many times I listen to it. (I say this because the usual advice is "just listen a lot", but it's not working for me, or at least not as much as I wanted to.)

I know that I could make audio cards but usually I review in the morning when I'm still in bed at a time where I can not use audio, so an alternative would be to make cards in hiragana form (it's still a phonetical representation of the words), or as I said production cards (I find that recall gives me a stronger memory than recognition, so it has this advantage, beside the help it would give in production itself)

PS: if possible I want suggestions by those who did or still do production for enough time to be able to give a factual point of view Tongue
I don't do production cards, but I listen to things where I already studied the text (with kanji), and my listening is better than my reading now.
(2016-09-02, 11:40 am)HelenF Wrote: I don't do production cards, but I listen to things where I already studied the text (with kanji), and my listening is better than my reading now.

Thank you HelenF!
JapanesePod101
I do Mcd cards. They're effortless for me

https://ankiweb.net/shared/decks/Choronghi
Edited: 2016-09-02, 5:48 pm
Hello cophnia61! I would do MCB's like in this example but flipped backwards. I'm using the same example sentence as a reference into production of each kanji for the word 学校 (which makes 2 different cards; version 1 and 2) :

(front)

がっ校に通う   and version 2: 学こうに通う
------

(back)

校に通う and version 2: 学に通う

school

Or you can do a more advanced clozed delete in a similar format (Thanks tokyostyle for this tip!) :

{{c1::学::がっ}}{{c2::校::こう}}に通う

Which should result in this:

[Image: B6Hqo6y.png]

Hope this helps Smile
Edited: 2016-09-02, 5:28 pm
I might be the person you're referring to. Some example images I made before:
https://s12.postimg.org/8gzculvhp/ankiex1.jpg
https://s12.postimg.org/mop1j986l/ankiex2.jpg
https://s12.postimg.org/j53m0cywd/examplecard.jpg
https://s12.postimg.org/s1ee4apil/examplecard2.jpg

Since I've made those examples I've changed a couple things.  First, now I only use a single definition because it helps with recall more.  Also for images like the second example with a static character portrait I will blur the portrait so the scene comes into focus more and the images from the same game won't blend together too much.

Context does mostly take care of learning synonymous, if I have trouble with a card I'll try to use a slightly different definition.  The uniqueness/memorability of the scene also comes into play here.  Choosing stronger scenes will help you recall the word easier and without too much confusion.

I do find production to help my recall all around, including listening.  Of course you will still need to listen a lot but it makes that initial recall easier for me.  I used to have a lot more trouble recalling words I had in anki when I did only recognition.

Another tip is to only learn a single word or phrase from an image, don't reuse an image to do double duty because they will get mixed up easily.  Production cards are a bit harder at first as you figure out how to present them the best for you but I personally think they're worth it.
Damn, cracky, mind sharing your deck?
wow great suggestions here!
I want only to add that I'm only interested in recalling the word reading, not the kanji form, but the principle is the same i guess!

I'll answer better tomorrow :p
(2016-09-02, 10:02 pm)cophnia61 Wrote: wow great suggestions here!
I want only to add that I'm only interested in recalling the word reading, not the kanji form, but the principle is the same i guess!

I usually mcd for that for example 

Front わず__わしい
Back ら

Usually for Any long words like that or おびただしい

Sometimes I also put the definition in the front or make multiple cards if the particularly long . It's actually effective compared the traditional front back format 

Sometimes I focus on remembering the definition

俺はあんなじゃじゃうまとは違う
// 性質が激しく、わがままで好き____振る舞う女性。

勝手に

性質が激しく、わがままで好き勝手に振る舞う女性。「―娘」 - goo国語辞書は

じゃじゃ馬】とは。意味や解説、類語。1 人になかなか慣れないあばれ馬。
Easy
(2016-09-02, 10:02 pm)cophnia61 Wrote: wow great suggestions here!

Oh I see. Here is an Anki-addon you might like: Cloze Furigana Tools. Basically, the addon will allow you to make these types of clozed delete cards:

[Image: mcd.png]

The last clozed sentence example might be what you're looking for.

Hope this helps! Smile
(2016-09-02, 8:48 pm)NinKenDo Wrote: Damn, cracky, mind sharing your deck?

I could but it's a mishmash of random things I've played/read so I don't know how useful it would be without the related context of the rest of the scene. I can export it and upload it if you still want it though.
Edited: 2016-09-04, 4:15 pm
Quote:I want to know how you deal with synonymous words. Is the context enough to take care of ambiguity?
I often just list the synonyms on the back, and if I get one of them, call it success. That's good enough for practical use. If you want a torture test, you could be a star on the front of the card for each synonym, and try to produce all of them. I do that for cards with multiple common kunyomi. I don't bother with less common readings.