Back

Abema TV -- Free Japanese TV channels

https://abema.tv

Description:
http://whatispopularinjapanrightnow.com/...line-free/

Abema TV is a free Internet TV station in Japan.
They have 30 channels available online.

It is only available in Japan.
But if you use a VPN, it works fine. Smile

They have 5 channels for anime and other channels for music, reality tv, martial arts fighting (2 channels), fishing(???!!!), Japanese drama, foreign drama (with Japanese subtitles!) and more. 

30 channels of real 24-hour Japanese TV for free.
That's hard to beat.

Video Quality is not that great, but it works fine (as long as your VPN is decent).
Twenty million times better than Keyhole was, and if it's actually going to last more than a few months, it might just be the thing I've been waiting for!

EDIT:
Of course, it'd be really helpful if it had an option for SD versus HD. It buffers the HD by default, but then runs out and drops the quality (in two stages, I noticed; and one for the audio) which means the lower quality streams can't catch up before it just reconnects and starts the whole thing over...

Rip-off Internet service doesn't help when I'm trying to stream from the other side of the planet... 8M down is a freaking lie ('but that's because there are other people on the cable'; that's bs, if you can't force a steady connection so that your customers are getting the speed they paid for instead of a speed cap they never reach, your technology sucks and you should go back to supplying DSL. 'You' being the unnamed cable company that quit servicing their copper).

And maybe it'll work better if I'm not watching in the middle of the day.

But yes, this service is really nice, supposing your connection is good enough. Multiple anime channels (old-timey one, family friendly one, new stuff, stuff that plays at midnight), a couple of sports channels (haven't checked yet), news channels, variety channel, foreign and domestic drama channels, terrible channels that should die (read: VICE and MTV), a documentary channel, and the most important kinds of channels: fishing and mahjong.
Something for everyone, I think.

The quality of the streams is excellent, supposing you can receive them. I'd say it was HD, but since I'm on a small screen, it might have been SD (only on VGA, so I can't confirm HD).

Haven't confirmed the function of the program guide, because it's using the local time from my computer and the program I looked at didn't seem to match with the listing at either the time it said it was (here) or the time it is in Japan. Will have to check again later... when I have a better connection.

Pain killers have probably kicked in by now; good night everyone.
Edited: 2016-08-27, 9:37 pm
Abema TV is an actual company in Japan.
Their office is located in Shibuya.
Abema TV is jointly developed by CyberAgent and TV Asahi (the popular TV channel and company).

They even extended a contract to air Spike TV's Bellator MMA (Mixed Martial Arts) events in Japan.
Link: http://bellator.spike.com/articles/dy5nt...a-in-japan

So if they have TV contracts with local and overseas TV companies, I'd say they are likely 100% legal.

Abema requires a Japanese IP address (which you can get via a VPN). But other than that, it is free.
30 Japanese TV stations available 24/7 for free and 100% legal.
That's incredible IMHO.

The 2 fighting channels often have air LIVE mixed martial arts events from popular organizations in Asia.
There is a world drama channels that airs western drama (for example LOST and other shows) with Japanese subtitles!

Lots of good content for the Japanese language learner.
I wish I knew about Abema TV earlier.
In Japan, you can use Abema's app to watch the channels on your phone.
Edited: 2016-08-27, 10:12 pm
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
abemafresh.tv doesn't require a VPN. It more or less resembles Ustream and Twitch.

AbemaTV's Youtube channel features video clips with the usual gang of tarentos.

It's a lot of great content for a free service. Perfect if you want to learn Japanese, or if you're comfortable with Japanese, it's great if you're a part of the cord-cutting movement.
I use VPN but...., nevertheless my IP address showed as japanese in Tokyo in the check, the Abema TV show "Sorry......only in Japan"..... Does someone have similar issue?
Nice.

We could use another thread kinda like the podcast thread, for livestreams. Hint, hint.
(2017-02-27, 10:53 am)vebaev Wrote: I use VPN but...., nevertheless my IP address showed as japanese in Tokyo in the check, the Abema TV show "Sorry......only in Japan"..... Does someone have similar issue?

I have the same problem. If I understand correctly, a lot of streaming sites will get IP lists for known VPN servers and black list them. Same with Netflix.

Only solution I know of is to try another server or, if your service doesn't have more, a different service (they're not terribly expensive and there are quite a few good ones now; not that I'd want to spend the extra money).
I once had this problem with Abema TV, and discovered that it went away when I completely closed out of the browser (and maybe restarted, I can't remember?), then made the switch to the Japanese VPN and tried again.

I haven't tried lately, though, so it is always possible they caught up to your particular VPN and blocked them.
(2017-02-27, 10:53 am)vebaev Wrote: I use VPN but...., nevertheless my IP address showed as japanese in Tokyo in the check, the Abema TV show "Sorry......only in Japan"..... Does someone have similar issue?

I'm using a free VPN called SoftEther VPN. It works fine, when the proxy is fast enough to stream without interruption. I'm watching an England-Spain football game with Japanese commentary right now.
I'm trying to get the AbemaTV for iOS 10 app to work. But as mentioned a GOOD VPN is needed.
Edited: 2017-06-13, 1:12 pm
(2017-02-27, 11:35 am)sholum Wrote:

I have the same problem. If I understand correctly, a lot of streaming sites will get IP lists for known VPN servers and black list them. Same with Netflix.

Only solution I know of is to try another server or, if your service doesn't have more, a different service (they're not terribly expensive and there are quite a few good ones now; not that I'd want to spend the extra money).

The strange thing is that on my phone with Abema app (iOS) it works when I use the same VPN, but on the desktop with Safari it does not work, so probably something is going on the desktop PC?
(2017-03-08, 6:48 am)vebaev Wrote: The strange thing is that on my phone with Abema app (iOS) it works when I use the same VPN, but on the desktop with Safari it does not work, so probably something is going on the desktop PC?

Possibly. I'll do a bit of digging to see if it uses a cookie, if it check's your browser version, or something crazy like that. It be really nice if I could use it...
(2016-08-27, 4:53 am)chamcham Wrote: https://abema.tv

Description:
http://whatispopularinjapanrightnow.com/...line-free/

Abema TV is a free Internet TV station in Japan.
They have 30 channels available online.

It is only available in Japan.
But if you use a VPN, it works fine. Smile

They have 5 channels for anime and other channels for music, reality tv, martial arts fighting (2 channels), fishing(???!!!), Japanese drama, foreign drama (with Japanese subtitles!) and more. 

30 channels of real 24-hour Japanese TV for free.
That's hard to beat.

Video Quality is not that great, but it works fine (as long as your VPN is decent).

You can also use a Japan proxy. They're offered on various websites such as this one: https://www.proxynova.com/proxy-server-l...clnk&gl=us. It's admittedly slow, but get the job done and is definitely safer than something like Hola (which turned out to be a botnet that sells your information to the highest bidder).
Edited: 2017-03-12, 8:11 pm
Badly next month will not be free anymore even on the PC
Is there anything for AppleTV ?