Back

Animelon.com (anime with Japanese subs in your browser)

(2016-07-31, 2:22 pm)kik4444 Wrote: The title pretty much sums it all up. Is there any way to do that? I saw another thread about how a person managed to achieve this, but with netflix and I don't have netflix. So is there any alternative? I'd preferably like to use my own videos and subtitles in SRT/ASS format.

[Image: LcVI8is.jpg]

I wanted to drop in a mention of animelon.com, which plays anime with Japanese subs in your browser. You can click on words to look up translations. It doesn't work perfectly, but it'll probably be helpful to some learners.

It looks like an experimental site, but it's a good idea and I hope the developers can continue to work on it.
Edited: 2016-08-11, 8:14 am by fuaburisu
(2016-08-07, 10:57 am)creamyhorror Wrote:
(2016-07-31, 2:22 pm)kik4444 Wrote: The title pretty much sums it all up. Is there any way to do that? I saw another thread about how a person managed to achieve this, but with netflix and I don't have netflix. So is there any alternative? I'd preferably like to use my own videos and subtitles in SRT/ASS format.

I wanted to drop in a mention of animelon.com, which plays anime with Japanese subs in your browser. You can click on words to look up translations. It doesn't work perfectly, but it'll probably be helpful to some learners.

It looks like an experimental site, but it's a good idea and I hope the developers can continue to work on it.

Woah yeah, exactly the kind of thing I was looking for.  Hopefully they expand to include dramas at some point, as it can be hard to find anime with normal conversational-type dialog.
(2016-08-07, 10:57 am)creamyhorror Wrote: [Image: LcVI8is.jpg]

That is brilliant. I hope they put the code up on github if they stop working on it. It probably has a better future as an offline project.
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
(2016-08-07, 2:53 pm)Stansfield123 Wrote:
(2016-08-07, 10:57 am)creamyhorror Wrote: [Image: LcVI8is.jpg]

That is brilliant. I hope they put the code up on github if they stop working on  it. It probably has a better future as an offline project.

This is really amazing, and is probably going to go down in the near future due to massive copyright violations. 

I've been saying for years that Crunchyroll - which already has legal access to this material - should do something like this and charge a premium for it. Maybe they'll buy these folks out at some point and integrate the codebase with their own site.
Edited: 2016-08-07, 9:43 pm
Oh yes, I remember you mentioning this with the FluentU thread I posted. "Crunchyroll-U" would have been an awesome (fictional) tool! I'd pay for that service too (and this is big since I don't like paying for things lol)

This is just brilliant.
Is it possible to change the font subs and size?
Hi there and thanks for mentioning Animelon, I'm one of the creators of that site. I was checking the traffic on Google Analytics and saw users coming from here and is delighted to see Animelon being mentioned!

So here is a little background about Animelon for those that haven't visited before, Animelon is a site where you can watch anime you enjoy and the site can assist you in learning Japanese as you watch, features include:

+5 layers of interactive subtitles that you can toggle on and off; Japanese, Hiragana, Katakana, Romaji and English, where you can click on the words in the subtitle for translations and pronunciation

+A manual subtitle-highlight mode where the spaces in the subtitles are removed, user can highlight parts of a sentence for a translation, this mode is also compatible with Rikaikun on Chrome and Rikaichan on Firefox which is a solution to OP's question

+A list of the words you've clicked on along with their translations so you can keep track of what you learnt

+Exercises such as flashcards based on what you clicked on

+A personalized multi-choice test along with a record of past test results

+Ability to speed up/slow down the video without distorting the audio and to loop parts of the video

+A transcript of the entire episode in the aforementioned Japanese writing components along with many other miscellaneous features

Animelon is still very young and there is still a lot we can improve on, we are a small team of developers and a designer that is currently working full-time in making Animelon better, please give us time and we will continue to make Animelon a more enjoyable experience Smile
Edited: 2016-08-08, 3:16 am
(2016-08-08, 12:46 am)polyturn Wrote:

This is just brilliant.
Is it possible to change the font subs and size?

Thanks!
Based on user feedback, the next step in our development path is the ability for our user to change the font sizes of the subtitles so stay tuned~ Also feel free to use the chat at the bottom righthand side of Animelon to post feature/anime requests or leave a comment
(2016-08-08, 2:17 am)Alphanumerekt Wrote: +A manual subtitle-highlight mode where the spaces in the subtitles are removed, user can highlight parts of a sentence for a translation, this mode is also compatible with Rikaikun on Chrome and Rikaichan on Firefox which is a solution to OP's question
Great job. I was the guest who requested a solution for Rikaisan/Yomichan, btw. The manual highlight-translate mode works nicely Smile

I do wonder how your team can make this sustainable. I'd love to see you go Crunchyroll's route, but it's a tough one for a more niche market segment (learners of Japanese who watch anime) like yours. Still, best of luck.

Have you posted on Reddit at r/learnjapanese yet? You'll get a good reception there, I'm certain.

edit: Okay, I've posted it there
Edited: 2016-08-08, 7:15 am
(2016-08-08, 7:00 am)creamyhorror Wrote:
(2016-08-08, 2:17 am)Alphanumerekt Wrote: +A manual subtitle-highlight mode where the spaces in the subtitles are removed, user can highlight parts of a sentence for a translation, this mode is also compatible with Rikaikun on Chrome and Rikaichan on Firefox which is a solution to OP's question
Great job. I was the guest who requested a solution for Rikaisan/Yomichan, btw. The manual highlight-translate mode works nicely Smile

I do wonder how your team can make this sustainable. I'd love to see you go Crunchyroll's route, but it's a tough one for a more niche market segment (learners of Japanese who watch anime) like yours. Still, best of luck.

Have you posted on Reddit at r/learnjapanese yet? You'll get a good reception there, I'm certain.

edit: Okay, I've posted it there

Haha, I was suspecting that it might be you when I saw that screenshot of Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. It is good to know that it is working well for you!

We have considered many different pathways we can take, but ultimately it depends on whether Animelon can gain enough traction in the next few months, we will continue to dedicate our lives into Animelon and we'll see what happens~

Also thanks for posting about us on Reddit, checking on Google Analytics today we see an influx of traffic Big Grin
(2016-08-08, 10:43 pm)Alphanumerekt Wrote: Haha, I was suspecting that it might be you when I saw that screenshot of Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. It is good to know that it is working well for you!

We have considered many different pathways we can take, but ultimately it depends on whether Animelon can gain enough traction in the next few months, we will continue to dedicate our lives into Animelon and we'll see what happens~

Also thanks for posting about us on Reddit, checking on Google Analytics today we see an influx of traffic Big Grin
I hope the traffic bump lasts permanently! The Reddit post was really well received, haha.

Have you seen Delvin Language? http://delvinlanguage.com/ It's surprisingly good and is in the same area as you guys. Maybe you can get an idea or two from them.

I know how it is being on a tech startup that hasn't really taken off (because that's where I am), it's a pretty tough situation...so keep up the energy. 油を加えて!!
Edited: 2016-08-08, 10:56 pm
(2016-08-08, 10:55 pm)creamyhorror Wrote:
(2016-08-08, 10:43 pm)Alphanumerekt Wrote: Haha, I was suspecting that it might be you when I saw that screenshot of Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou. It is good to know that it is working well for you!

I hope the traffic bump lasts permanently! The Reddit post was really well received, haha.

Have you seen Delvin Language? http://delvinlanguage.com/ It's surprisingly good and is in the same area as you guys. Maybe you can get an idea or two from them.

I know how it is being on a tech startup that hasn't really taken off (because that's where I am), it's a pretty tough situation...so keep up the energy. 油を加えて!!
Oh lol we actually have a feature similar to Delvin Language on Animelon, though it might be a bit too obscured to be found. If you go on the side panel next to the video player, you can go to the "Tests and Exercises" tab, once you are there, there will be 3 more tabs at the bottom of the side panel, "Test", "Exercise" and "Results History" and you can find a typing exercise like Delvin Language in the exercise tab along with a flashcard type thing.

Haha it can get pretty tough indeed, we have already gone through some storms but I believe if we just keep at it we will eventually see the light on the other side! お互いに頑張りましょう!!
(2016-08-08, 10:43 pm)Alphanumerekt Wrote: We have considered many different pathways we can take, but ultimately it depends on whether Animelon can gain enough traction in the next few months, we will continue to dedicate our lives into Animelon and we'll see what happens~

I'm pulling for you folks. Let us know if you get to the point where you can implement a subscription model - I and many others would be happy to support you.
(2016-08-09, 6:08 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:
(2016-08-08, 10:43 pm)Alphanumerekt Wrote: We have considered many different pathways we can take, but ultimately it depends on whether Animelon can gain enough traction in the next few months, we will continue to dedicate our lives into Animelon and we'll see what happens~

I'm pulling for you folks. Let us know if you get to the point where you can implement a subscription model - I and many others would be happy to support you.

Thanks for your support! It is kind words like these that keep us happy and motivated, we will do our best to make Animelon a great site  Smile
Mod; thread split. (yes, I am admin too Wink But this is a mod action.)

Whoah this is very impressive, btw.
I'm totally subsribing once that's possible - Animelon.com is a great site!
Edited: 2016-08-17, 8:21 am
Only had a quick look at this a couple of days ago, but I was seriously impressed with what I saw. Even better, you've got some of my favourite anime series on there, so I'll certainly be back!
This site is amazing. Count me in as another who would subscribe, if possible.
They've created a great prototype, and I watched Danshi Kōkōsei no Nichijō there. However, realistically, the market isn't big enough to support Animelon as a legit paid site.

Perhaps Crunchyroll would provide Japanese subtitles, if enough people asked.
I've watched Usagi Drop, and part of I.S. Infinite Stratos, but right now I'm watching 'Another'. I'm probably going to have very disturbed dreams again tonight, and tomorrow too since I won't be able to finish tonight. Fortunately I don't really have 'nightmares' anymore, as in, violence or ghosts or monsters or whatever don't really scare me in my dreams. I don't recommend the show for the faint of heart however. It gets pretty gruesome at times.

Anyway, I like this site, although I already have access to pretty much all the shows through crunchyroll or other streaming services it's really nice to have all the subtitle and translation tools at your fingertips ...mostly I just run Japanese subtitles with the occasional word lookup, although I've loaded the script panel at times too. Oh, the looping tool is really nice too for relistening a few times until you're sure you're catching every word. Took me a few tries to get the hang of the single modal button they use for it, but it's pretty cool.

Yes, they probably wouldn't be able to make it work if they have to pay the same price as crunchyroll/netflix/hulu(funimation) are paying, but maybe they can work something out as an educational site. (Also older anime might be cheaper? For educational purposes, it's really fine if the shows are all 5+ years old. Going back to 80s and 90s anime might be a little rough even for educational purposes but it's an option too I guess. There are some classics I wouldn't mind revisiting or never watched. Still, if the animation -- and acting! -- aren't up to a reasonably modern standard it will be hard to keep people.)

They might have to stop offering the full English subtitles though, in order to have more restrictive use to warrant a cheaper license.

I would probably subscribe if the price was reasonable. I don't expect it to be though, all the subscription Japanese learning services seem to charge outrageous premiums. It's just a convenience though for me, to have the subtitles embedded in the video. I can find ways to play subtitles over my crunchyroll subscription, it's just a bit more of a nuisance, but in any case, that seriously limits how much I'd be willing to pay.
Edited: 2016-08-31, 12:21 am
(2016-08-30, 10:14 pm)fkb9g Wrote: They've created a great prototype, and I watched Danshi Kōkōsei no Nichijō there. However, realistically, the market isn't big enough to support Animelon as a legit paid site.

Perhaps Crunchyroll would provide Japanese subtitles, if enough people asked.

I've been flogging that dead horse for years. :-( Someone in the company would have to take it on as a side project, or CR would need to decide it makes economic sense to acquire Animelon's code base and integrate it with theirs. I think the former is wishful thinking, and the economics of the situation don't justify the latter. (Though if CR DOES decide to go that route, I happen to know a kick-ass technical manager who could bring that project to completion. Cough cough.)

The other option is that everyone concerned could just sort of look the other way and whistle nonchalantly while Animelon does its thing. Again, wishful thinking, but hey, stranger things have happened.
Edited: 2016-08-31, 9:59 am
(2016-08-31, 9:58 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: I've been flogging that dead horse for years. :-( Someone in the company would have to take it on as a side project, or CR would need to decide it makes economic sense to acquire Animelon's code base and integrate it with theirs. I think the former is wishful thinking, and the economics of the situation don't justify the latter. (Though if CR DOES decide to go that route, I happen to know a kick-ass technical manager who could bring that project to completion. Cough cough.)

The other option is that everyone concerned could just sort of look the other way and whistle nonchalantly while Animelon does its thing. Again, wishful thinking, but hey, stranger things have happened.

Another option -- that would involve a lot more coding effort on Animelon's part -- would be to create an overlay that works with crunchyroll and/or funimation and/or netflix. The source video is coming from an already licensed streaming site, and Animelon only has to license subtitling.

Of course, Netflix may have Japanese subtitles on newer titles anyway. They do on some of their own newer productions, and on some newer live-action Japanese productions. I haven't seen any anime besides their own have Japanese subtitles, and older titles aren't getting subtitles added as far as I know. Even so, animelon is more than -just- subtitles so it could still be worthwhile for learners to use the overlay even when Japanese subtitles are otherwise available.

Well, that's a lot of text for a passing thought, but I think it's an option worth considering if video licensing is too difficult.
Is Animelon ever going to get a .APK ? I would love to run it on my android box. It's an amazing learning tool. Thanks guys!
(2016-08-31, 4:51 pm)SomeCallMeChris Wrote:
(2016-08-31, 9:58 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: I've been flogging that dead horse for years. :-( Someone in the company would have to take it on as a side project, or CR would need to decide it makes economic sense to acquire Animelon's code base and integrate it with theirs. I think the former is wishful thinking, and the economics of the situation don't justify the latter. (Though if CR DOES decide to go that route, I happen to know a kick-ass technical manager who could bring that project to completion. Cough cough.)

Another option -- that would involve a lot more coding effort on Animelon's part -- would be to create an overlay that works with crunchyroll and/or funimation and/or netflix. The source video is coming from an already licensed streaming site, and Animelon only has to license subtitling.

That would be a great idea, and seems like something Animelon could partner with CR on. I'd definitely help support such a project on a community donation model. (I see a Kickstarter in Animelon's future...)

I also wonder if it's something they could possibly partner with the Japanese government on. Lots of upsides for Japan to helping foster a tool that allows young people (and, ahem, not-so-young people) to learn the language using one of the country's most popular exports.
Edited: 2016-09-06, 12:20 pm
apologies if this is the wrong place to ask this, but as anime is to japan, i would have to say karaoke is to china.

So has anybody seen anything like animelon for mandarin songs.
This is the closest thing i could find but still missing some key features from animelon
http://www.singchinesesongs.com/sing.php?singid=349