Back

Animelon.com (anime with Japanese subs in your browser)

This is really awesome. If I could make one suggestion though. Would you guys ever consider adding a few of the more popular dramas and live action movies? I'm really not an anime guy, and I'm sure there's a market for Japanese students who want to learn through live action as well as anime. Just a thought, thanks.
Hi guys, just a quick post about our most recent updates for Animelon:

+We have recently changed hosting providers for our videos and this should improve buffering speeds significantly, so for those who had problems watching the videos smoothly before, please give it another try

+We have also added another 40 series in the last few days so there is a much bigger selection of anime to watch now!

There are several major updates to both content and features to be released in the upcoming months (this includes adding other types of Japanese media such as J-dramas and animated films @theadamie), so be sure to check out Animelon often!
(2017-06-28, 4:42 am)Alphanumerekt Wrote: We have recently changed hosting providers for our videos and this should improve buffering speeds significantly, so for those who had problems watching the videos smoothly before, please give it another try

Thank you! It really is much more smooth streaming experience than before.
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
(2017-06-28, 4:42 am)Alphanumerekt Wrote: Hi guys, just a quick post about our most recent updates for Animelon:
Thanks a ton!

By the way, for the past while (since Firefox decided to become an inferior Chrome), I've been unable to see the Home page in Firefox. All the series pages and videos work fine, but in order to look at what you have, I have to go into Chrome (which has some minor issues with the video player, so I end up copy-pasting URLs).

Currently using the Dev version of Firefox v54.0a2.
Great improvement. I recommend Animelon as a resource on KawaJapa.

I want to say that the work you are doing is really valuable and very much appreciated.

PS - Big congratulations on putting headings like 最近のアップロード in Japanese with very small English translations. It really is good for people to navigate in Japanese and generally start seeing it as something they use rather than just "practice". Things like this form a gentle introduction for those who find the idea daunting at first.
Edited: 2017-06-28, 1:06 pm
(2017-06-28, 4:42 am)Alphanumerekt Wrote: ...this should improve buffering speeds significantly

It does indeed improve the streaming experience!

You have various tags in each anime description. It could be helpful if the user could make selections according to these tags. If that is possible, then perhaps you can also add other selection criteria as e.g. the author.

Especially if you want to increase the content the possibility of a selection gets more and more important.
This is really awesome. I'm currently enjoying 僕だけがいない町。Thank you for this amazing resource! I really like that the back/forward UI cues are subtitle-based - i.e., they rewind back/skip forward to subtitle segments.

Is there a shortcut key to rewind to the previous subtitle in fullscreen mode? It would be great if the arrow keys skipped backwards and forwards through the subs.
Edited: 2017-06-30, 11:35 pm
Animelon is really the most valuable resource to me next to Anki, (and koohii back in the day when I was learning kanji). I wish there was a way to support it financially but I can see how it would open up a lot of legal problems. Anyway if anyone on this thread hasn't tried it, give it a shot, I think you'll love it.
(2017-06-28, 11:14 am)sholum Wrote:
(2017-06-28, 4:42 am)Alphanumerekt Wrote: Hi guys, just a quick post about our most recent updates for Animelon:
Thanks a ton!

By the way, for the past while (since Firefox decided to become an inferior Chrome), I've been unable to see the Home page in Firefox. All the series pages and videos work fine, but in order to look at what you have, I have to go into Chrome (which has some minor issues with the video player, so I end up copy-pasting URLs).

This is likely because we've updated Animelon and Firefox is caching an older version of it and so it fails to load properly, can you please clear your browser cookies and give it another try?

(2017-06-28, 12:58 pm)CureDolly Wrote: Great improvement. I recommend Animelon as a resource on KawaJapa.

I want to say that the work you are doing is really valuable and very much appreciated.

PS - Big congratulations on putting headings like 最近のアップロード in Japanese with very small English translations. It really is good for people to navigate in Japanese and generally start seeing it as something they use rather than just "practice". Things like this form a gentle introduction for those who find the idea daunting at first.

We've been noticing traffic coming from KawaJapa on Google Analytics, thank you so much for recommending us! And yup, with some headings and descriptions in Japanese we hope to ease the users into getting used to interacting with things(be it websites or other items) that has Japanese text

(2017-06-30, 11:35 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: This is really awesome. I'm currently enjoying 僕だけがいない町。Thank you for this amazing resource! I really like that the back/forward UI cues are subtitle-based - i.e., they rewind back/skip forward to subtitle segments.

Is there a shortcut key to rewind to the previous subtitle in fullscreen mode? It would be great if the arrow keys skipped backwards and forwards through the subs.

Yes, once you have entered fullscreen mode, click anywhere on the section at the bottom where the progress bar and the buttons are so that the browser gives focus to the video player, once it has focus, the usual keyboard shortcuts would work
Edited: 2017-07-05, 2:13 am
(2017-07-05, 2:00 am)Alphanumerekt Wrote:
Thanks a ton!

This is likely because we've updated Animelon and Firefox is caching an older version of it and so it fails to load properly, can you please clear your browser cookies and give it another try?

Hard to believe it's been that long since I cleared those, but it worked (I had built up 10GB of cache too 0_0)

By the way, for those series where the Japanese subtitles aren't complete (like 七つの大罪), is that an issue with the subtitle source, or something else? Some (I'd say most) of the series are nearly complete, with maybe one or two lines missing, but in extreme cases, like the aforementioned 七つの大罪, I'd say nearly half the subs are missing.

Recently, I've only been using Japanese subs on your site since they're available (if it's not on your site, I watch without them), so it's not a big deal to me when they're missing, but I wasn't sure if you were aware of the issue.

EDIT:
To clarify, it's not that some episodes have subs and others don't, it's that the subs for each episode are incomplete.
Edited: 2017-07-05, 1:51 pm
Use hashed filenames to avoid stale cache issues. You’ll need to adjust your build and deploy tooling but this is a standard practice so there’s good tooling support for it.
(2017-07-05, 1:49 pm)sholum Wrote:
(2017-07-05, 2:00 am)Alphanumerekt Wrote:
Thanks a ton!

Hard to believe it's been that long since I cleared those, but it worked (I had built up 10GB of cache too 0_0)

By the way, for those series where the Japanese subtitles aren't complete (like 七つの大罪), is that an issue with the subtitle source, or something else? Some (I'd say most) of the series are nearly complete, with maybe one or two lines missing, but in extreme cases, like the aforementioned 七つの大罪, I'd say nearly half the subs are missing.

Recently, I've only been using Japanese subs on your site since they're available (if it's not on your site, I watch without them), so it's not a big deal to me when they're missing, but I wasn't sure if you were aware of the issue.

EDIT:
To clarify, it's not that some episodes have subs and others don't, it's that the subs for each episode are incomplete.

It turned out to be a problem caused by our subtitle engine which we've now fixed, all the affected series have been reprocessed and there shouldn't be missing lines anymore. Thank you for bringing our attention to this

On an unrelated note, here is another update report for Animelon:

+There is now quality options for the videos(720p and 360p)! Those on mobile devices or has a slower internet connection can now try a smaller resolution stream

+The pages that list the episodes of series now shows other series that are related making it easier to find prequel or sequel series

Many more updates coming soon!
Edited: 2017-07-11, 6:35 am
It's a bit annoying that sometimes the subtitles get shifted downward and start overlapping with the bar that fastforwards/pauses etc after some use.

I'm using google chrome when that happens. Aside from that Animelon is awesome because of the ability to shift to the beginnings of dialogue lines easily.
(2017-07-29, 7:43 am)rainmaninjapan Wrote: It's a bit annoying that sometimes the subtitles get shifted downward and start overlapping with the bar that fastforwards/pauses etc after some use.

I'm using google chrome when that happens. Aside from that Animelon is awesome because of the ability to shift to the beginnings of dialogue lines easily.

Usually when stuff like that happens, turning the subs off and back on fixes it, but yeah, I think the player works better in Firefox.
My only complaint is that I wish you'd add the Monogatari series Smile
This is great, thanks for the hard work.
is it down?