Back

Rikaikun/Rikaichan-esque functionality for soft subs in videos

The title pretty much sums it all up. Is there any way to do that? I saw another thread about how a person managed to achieve this, but with netflix and I don't have netflix. So is there any alternative? I'd preferably like to use my own videos and subtitles in SRT/ASS format.
You can use ballonguy's tool which is dubbed as Kage Shibari. It's not exactly like using a popup with the subs in the video but on the side of it. So far the video files I have tried and it successfully loaded are mp4 and mkv. Here is a screenshot of the setup I did for the ep1 of shirokuma cafe using Rikaisama:

[Image: sxcuu9P.png]

I wrote about it on my blog which has a step-by-step guide on how to set it up. Hope this helps!

[EDIT] for some reason the popup dictionaries Rikaikun and Yomichan for Chrome do not work which is why I use Firefox.

[EDIT2] Thanks for the help FaultyMaxim!
Edited: 2016-08-06, 3:52 pm
Thx for the recommendation, but if that's all that it is then I might as well just use subtitle edit to copy the subs and paste them in pastebin and then just use rikaikun to scan the unknown words. That way I could also still watch the videos in fullscreen. This is what I've been doing so far and I was just wondering if anyone here knew an even faster method. The reason why I don't particularly like your method above is because it doesn't let me go fullscreen (unless I'm missing something).
Edited: 2016-08-01, 5:33 am
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
https://github.com/TranslationPlayer/Tra...er-Desktop

I haven't used it that much because I don't have much time but I think it works.

My only problem with this is that it doesn't let me select audio from MKVs which usually default to English. Also, would be helpful if the Transcript Line Lookups were automatic.
Edited: 2016-08-01, 8:25 am
(2016-08-01, 5:32 am)kik4444 Wrote: Thx for the recommendation, but if that's all that it is then I might as well just use subtitle edit to copy the subs and paste them in pastebin and then just use rikaikun to scan the unknown words. That way I could also still watch the videos in fullscreen. This is what I've been doing so far and I was just wondering if anyone here knew an even faster method. The reason why I don't particularly like your method above is because it doesn't let me go fullscreen (unless I'm missing something).
The method in the other thread wasn't in full screen mode either. You didn't specify you wanted this type of function in your request. Here is OP from the other thread:

(2016-06-25, 1:42 pm)FaultyMaxim Wrote: Apologies if this has been discussed before, I did a search and didn't find anything.

Lately I've been studying by using Netflix, and manually loading Japanese subtitles via a chrome extension called Super Netflix.  This works well with Rikaikun so I can hover over words/grammar that I don't understand, and get the instant translation.

Here's an example of what it looks like:  screenshot

Getting this all to work requires some manual work, but I have found it makes studying much more fun, because I can consume more interesting media that is still a bit beyond my level without getting too frustrated.

Here's what I do:

1. Find a show on netflix that I want to watch, that has a Japanese audio track. Lately I've been doing Death Note.
  2. Find the Japanese subs on the Internet and download them.
  3. (If needed) convert to SRT sub format via Aegisub
  4. Convert to the format that the "Super Netflix" chrome plugin needs, by using the subflicks website
  5. Load the subtitles via Super Netflix
  6. (If needed) fix timing and repeat steps 4 and 5
Now, you can watch, and pause and hover over anything you don't know. For some reason hover-over via Rikaikun doesn't work in full screen mode for me, but this is a minor inconvenience. 

Let me know if you have questions..
It is a big default screen compared to most (if not all) video players but that is not Netflix's full screen mode. Full screen mode pretty much is wider.

[EDIT] Here are screenshots to show the difference between default and full screen mode for Netflix.

Hope this helps.
Edited: 2016-08-01, 11:15 am
@RawrPk

That's a great write-up on your blog, thanks.  Do you mind sharing where you got the soft subs for Border? I'd like to try it out.
Edited: 2016-08-06, 5:10 pm by fuaburisu
@RawrPk

Regarding your problem with Rikaikun, I think I figured it out.  You need to go into Chrome's extension settings and check a box that says "allow extension to access file:// resources".  Then restart chrome.  Doing this fixed it for me, and now I can hover over for definitions.
Edited: 2016-08-06, 5:10 pm by fuaburisu
(2016-08-06, 12:17 pm)FaultyMaxim Wrote: That's a great write-up on your blog, thanks.  Do you mind sharing where you got the soft subs for Border? I'd like to try it out.

Hey there! I'm glad you like the guide I wrote in my blog. The other guide I originally learned about this tool was kinda confusing to decipher so I thought I write it in my own words which imo was more "user friendly".

I found the Border Japanese subs at AvistaZ (formerly Asia Torrents) which is only for registered users. It is an invite only site and unfortunately I don't have an invite to give. But I can pm you the files if you want but I just need some time to upload them so just let me know Smile

The English subs you can find at d-addicts.

Finally thanks for the tips about Chrome's extension menu. It worked for me too! Will add this tip into the blog entry as well Smile
Edited: 2016-08-06, 5:11 pm by fuaburisu
(2016-08-06, 3:30 pm)RawrPk Wrote:
(2016-08-06, 12:17 pm)FaultyMaxim Wrote: That's a great write-up on your blog, thanks.  Do you mind sharing where you got the soft subs for Border? I'd like to try it out.

Hey there! I'm glad you like the guide I wrote in my blog. The other guide I originally learned about this tool was kinda confusing to decipher so I thought I write it in my own words which imo was more "user friendly".

I found the Border Japanese subs at AvistaZ (formerly Asia Torrents) which is only for registered users. It is an invite only site and unfortunately I don't have an invite to give. But I can pm you the files if you want but I just need some time to upload them so just let me know Smile

The English subs you can find at d-addicts.

Finally thanks for the tips about Chrome's extension menu. It worked for me too! Will add this tip into the blog entry as well Smile

Hey, thanks for the info. I'll keep an eye out for invites at AvistaZ. Finding Japanese subtitles is always a challenge. I can usually find the movies/show torrents, but for some reason soft-subs are often much more difficult to find.

If it is easy for you to share the Border subs, I'd definitely make use of them.

Nice blog by the way, I'm enjoying it Smile