Back

My trip to Osaka

Ouch hate sunburns! If you haven't already, apply some aloe vera lotion to relieve the pain for your burn. Also wear sunscreen. Ideally you're supposed to wear it if you expect to be out in the sun longer than 15 minutes but I'm just saying Tongue
(2016-07-30, 9:01 am)Kruzer132 Wrote: ...And I got to eat something they call a 'Hamburg' (ハンバーグ), I have no idea whether this has something to do with the German city or not. So if any of you know about it, be very welcome to post a reply here. Big Grin
I always thought it was the Japanese version of a hamburger sans-bun but I could be wrong.  Well I looked it up and wikipedia says it is a version of salisbury steak which I always wondered wtf that was anyway.  Apparently it's such an old dish the etymology is undetermined but the german city theory is a contender.

Sorry about the sunburn.
Edited: 2016-07-31, 3:48 pm
Today I didn't have anything in the morning, so I could have slept as long as I wanted. But because it's so warm I'm unable to sleep for a very long time. So I woke up at 6:30, which is still half an hour later than I wake up usually.

About the sunburn: At first I thought my burnt arms would be the most annoying, but I was wrong. My neck is way more annoying, because my T-shirt moves. At least this makes me ignore the pain I had in my legs. So everything has an upside as well. Even a sunburn.

Then we went out to shop for souvenirs and stuff. I mostly bought random food, that I'll probably already eat here xD. But I also bought some food I'll bring back home. And I bought a T-shirt with all kind of kanji for random fish. I don't know any of them by the way, so they aren't jouyou kanji. Too bad I can't try the T-shirt on yet without pain.

I also took some money from the bank. It was my first time taking any money from a banking machine by the way. Even though I have my bank card for at least one year now. I just don't buy that much I guess.

Oh, and another thing! We ate lunch in some kind of restaurant. And honestly, I hoped this wouldn't overcome me, but there was no avoiding it, obviously. We had to sit at one of those low tables where you have to sit on the ground. And I was eating very slow, like always. So when I stood up, I didn't feel my right leg anymore, and I almost fell down, but I'm happy I reacted quickly enough and used my other leg.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
Today was my very last kendo practise. And it was quite sad to end this, because I finally got some friends there. So we did talk a bit after the practise ended, and they decided to draw random stuff on a sheet of paper, so I got that from them. But then suddenly the teacher wanted me to come with him and he started his speech. He gave me a new shinai (kendo sword), and said that he forgot that this was already the last time and that it's too bad that I couldn't use this new shinai before I went back. And at the end he gave me the thing. And I was like 'How can I bring this back home?'. And I honestly still don't know how I'll get this home, but I asked the local representative of YFU, and I'll get an answer tomorrow.

So that was today, an emotional ending to this whole kendo thing. I'll still go to school for two days, but it'll be calligraphy.
(2016-08-02, 8:44 am)Kruzer132 Wrote: Today was my very last kendo practise. And it was quite sad to end this, because I finally got some friends there. So we did talk a bit after the practise ended, and they decided to draw random stuff on a sheet of paper, so I got that from them. But then suddenly the teacher wanted me to come with him and he started his speech. He gave me a new shinai (kendo sword), and said that he forgot that this was already the last time and that it's too bad that I couldn't use this new shinai before I went back. And at the end he gave me the thing. And I was like 'How can I bring this back home?'. And I honestly still don't know how I'll get this home, but I asked the local representative of YFU, and I'll get an answer tomorrow.

So that was today, an emotional ending to this whole kendo thing. I'll still go to school for two days, but it'll be calligraphy.

Check with whatever airline you'll be travelling with. If you put in in a shinai case, you can probably include it as checked baggage no problem. It might even be allowed as carry-on, though doubtful based on length considerations alone. I have traveled out of Narita with a lightsaber as carry-on though, so it's worth checking. 

No shinai case (or only the soft bag style that might allow damage in checked baggage handling)? Check out fishing shops (some sporting good stores may carry fishing equipment as well). Hard-shell fishing pole carry cases will fit a shinai; that's what some of my fellow cosplayers use for transporting lightsabers.
Today I did a bit of calligraphy at school, and when that ended I went to my classroom to check whether anyone was in there or not. And apparently, they were practising for some kind of musial. So I went in, and they were pleasantly surprised to see me in the doorway, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that they were there. So we were mutually pleasantly surprised, which was great. I did talk a lot, they said that my Japanese has very much improved these few weeks, which I honestly didn't even notice. But I felt that this was an actual compliment, and not just a random thing they said to be nice. And they also noticed my sunburn, and said that it looked painful indeed. Then I proceeded literally translating names to Dutch, and pronouncing it xD. They wanted me to do that for some reason, so that was fun. But then I had to go, and this was probably the last time I would meet them. And one of them started to cry. I don't know whether it was for real, or if it was playful. It was actually probably the playful kind of cry, but anyway, both of them are too much for a socially awkward person like me. So I stood there, not knowing at all what to do. So I just waved and slowly went away.

Then when I wanted to leave the building, I got stopped by a teacher, and he asked whether I could talk a bit to a new exchange student who came from Switzerland. So I again used my German a bit. It's unbelievable, but for some reason I've used more German when I was in Japan, than when I actually went to Germany.

And thank you for your reply six8ten, but I decided to leave it to someone from my exchange student company, YFU.
Today was the last day I went to school at all. Sad Like, I probably won't enter that building again, and that's really too bad, because I really liked it there.

So I had my last calligraphy lesson today, and the teacher gave me a textbook. And it explained a bit how to weild your brush. So I tried a bit harder, and still, most of my writings failed, but I did write the kanji for 'write' (書) very beautifully once. I'm quite proud of it xD. I also learned how to recognize those old strings of hiragana that are quite difficult to read if you don't know how to.

Then I went to a teachers room in the library and gave my uniform back, and talked a bit with the teachers, who said that I was always welcome to come back. Well, I really hope that I'll get the chance to. There is actually a small possibility that I could come back next year, but it's a really small one, and it would be as a vacation thing, and not as an exchange student.

After that I decided to go one more time to the classroom, but no-one was there. So I decided to write some stuff on the blackboard. I started with 'Thank you very much for this one month! -Martin' in Japanese, English and Dutch. And then I decided to write another thing. I wrote: 'オランダ語の秘密のメッセージ: '(orandago no himitsu no messeeji/secret Dutch message), and then 'Ik kan heel misschien volgend jaar weer terug komen' (I can maybe come back next year'). I'm curious how long it'll take them to translate it. One of the students has a half-Dutch cousin, if I got it right. So maybe they'll get it that way. Or they'll just do the google-translate thing.

Though the chance is really small, I can only hope... And I guess it'll make them happy when they discover the message, maybe.
Today I again didn't have anything to do in the morning, thus I could sleep as long as I wanted to. And I did sleep until like 8 o'clock, because I started sleeping at 2 o'clock. In the afternoon, I met Esperanto speakers. One of them I have already met here in Japan, I think I already wrote about that before on this blog. And the other two were beginners, and it was very fun to meet them. We went to art aquarium (アートアクアリウム), and saw a lot of goldfish. I made more fotos about goldfish today, than in my whole trip until now xD. My parents are going to be so proud of my fotos!
Today I and some people of the calligraphy club, including the teacher, went to Kyoto today. We mainly went to visit an exhibition of calligraphy. And one  of the artworks was made by the teacher himself! Then after that we went to buy some random stuff. And I also looked for books, but couldn't find any about language learning. Then we went to an Italian restaurant, and I haven't eaten so much in a long time. And when I went back, the teacher went with me until two stations from my home, and until then we talked a lot. This was again one of these emotional goodbyes.

After that, there was a big fire work thing at Yodogawa, and two girls invited me to go there. And it was quite beautiful. I didn't take so much pictures because I wanted to enjoy it and my battery was almost dead.

Sorry if this has more mistakes than usual, I typed this on my phone.
Today was my very last day full day here. And this morning I packed my koffer already, and apparently I can fit everything in. I really didn't expect this. But I think it's because I put all my heavy books in my backpack.

The main activity today was karaoke-ing with the two same girls I went to see fireworks with yesterday. It was a bit difficult to meet, because we were at a very busy station, but in the end we managed to find each other. But before the karaoke we went to eat カレー (curry) together. And I saw some kind of very hot sauce on the table, and I asked them if it was okay to eat it. They said that it was very hot and I should only put a very little on my food. I decided to try a bit on my spoon before putting it on my food. When I ate it, I found it quite strong indeed. Not so strong that I would only put a little bit on my food, but still quite strong. I wondered whether the sauce was very hot, or my resistance to spicy stuff was nullified. So I decided to minimize my reaction and one of the girls wanted to try it as well. And when she ate it she showed quite a priceless countenance, to say at least. So it was the sauce that was very spicy, and not my resistance that has been nullified. And for the people who are going to argue how mean I was and that I should be punished... Well, I was punished xD. I got by accident some of that stuff in my left eye. So that was a painful experience. But after like 20 minutes I didn't feel anything anymore, and I just enjoyed my food.

Another notable thing that I did, was making jokes about Japanese words. I made three of them, and used them the throughout the day, and my companions apparently enjoyed them xD. I'll try to explain them here, so that even if you don't know a lot of Japanese, you'll understand it:

1. 花火 = 鼻火 (hanabi)
This word means fireworks. And the kanji say 'flower' and 'fire', but 'flower' and 'nose' sound the same in Japanese. So you can write 'nose' and 'fire'. I referred to that by making an explosion in front of my nose with my hands.
2. 離れたくない = 鼻れたくない (hanaretakunai)
Another nose one. This one means 'I don't want to separate' (in other words: I'm sad that you have to go). Now again, the kanji in the verb sounds the same as 'nose'. And I referred to this kanji joke by pointing at my nose while saying the first two syllables.
3. かも(しれない) = 鴨 (kamo)
かもしれない (kamoshirenai) is a word that is translated as 'probably', and in informal conversations, the last part can be left away, and it becomes only 'kamo'. But kamo, also means duck. So that has interesting results, like for example 遅れるかも 'We're probably going to be late' turns into 遅れる鴨 'A duck that comes late'. This one wasn't per se funny, but you can see what kind of difference it can make. We referred to that joke by forming a beak of a duck with our hands. xD

The karaoke itself went kind of like the last one, I myself wasn't that skilful, and I mainly enjoyed the other people singing. But I tried.

This was the last thing that happens before I go. Tomorrow I'll go from Osaka to Narita, and I will stay there one night, and the day after tomorrow I'll take my flight back to the Netherlands. But my parents aren't in the Netherlands, so I'll stay one night in my home, and the day after that I'll go to Hungary, where my whole family is at the moment and I'll rest the last ten days there before my summer vacations end. I'll maybe write one more post when I arrived in Hungary. But this is the last post that has Japan related stuff in it. I hope you have enjoyed me writing every single day for five weeks. And see you maybe again when I try something else weird, or I experience something else Japan related and start a new thread about it.

Goodbye~!
Thanks for keeping up with the blog.  Really enjoyed the ride...
Greetings again,

I wanted to continue blogging about language learning and travels in general, but I am currently focussing on another language, so I didn't think it would be appropriate to post my blog-ish thing here. But then, suddenly, a friend said that I should try out tumblr. Even though it has bad stereotyping, I gave it a shot.

So if any of you are still interested, even if the target language I am learning is currently Swedish, then please, be welcome to follow my thing: https://dutchpolyglot.tumblr.com/

By the way, I have certainly NOT given up on Japanese, I will start again learning it in the end of February~! So even for people who are mainly interested in Japanese, this could be interesting. I guess?
Following you. I hope you keep it up.
(2017-01-18, 3:41 pm)yogert909 Wrote: Following you.  I hope you keep it up.

Thank you~ xD 
I was hoping to see you here again!