Back

Suggested Guide for Japanese Literacy (SGJL) Memrise Courses

(2016-12-28, 7:13 am)r3ftch Wrote: Also SGJL 11 - A Dict. of Basic Japanese Grammar pt 4.

I've finished the rest of the lessons yesterday but for the 17 (61 LESSON - 70 LESSON) there aren't audio files

Wow. Thanks of that. I thought I had finished part 4 but I guess I was wrong. I had the audio files so finished the last lesson audio uploads. 

What I also should do is download the finish vocab and grammar decks from Memrise using the Anki importer since I made decent edits to both to correct typos and add definitions plus the additional vocabulary section for Tae Kim and ADoBJG. That should make a much better spreadsheet to share so others can make Anki decks that's to their liking.
'Sup guys, now is this a group thing or is just still self study? I came from reddit and I want to know how far will this guide take me? and is it for people who just memorized the kana?
(2017-01-31, 11:21 am)Ayumilovexd Wrote: 'Sup guys, now is this a group thing or is just still self study? I came from reddit and I want to know how far will this guide take me? and is it for people who just memorized the kana?

It's mainly a self-study guide. However, there's a link for joining a Memrise study group for this course series that has about 800 people. Also, there's a near daily self-study livestream I do on YouTube.

The course starts off Memrise courses teaching Kana and Kanji so it's assumed you know those in later courses.
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
did you save all of your livestreams?
(2017-01-31, 8:28 pm)Ayumilovexd Wrote: did you save all of your livestreams?

Check out the first post.
Wait- What exactly am I looking at in this thread? I got linked here from reddit, and can't really tell what this is. It looks like a good outline to a Japanese course using several different resources but there is a lot of info here and I feel like I am missing some context.

Can anybody help me getting started? Thanks!
The links at the beginning of course (SGJL 01 - 16) in go to the Memrise courses where you learn. It rotates and gradually progresses between kanji, grammar and vocabulary. Just go to the first course which is Hiragana then go on from there when you finish it.
Edited: 2017-03-05, 11:23 pm
(2017-03-05, 11:22 pm)Nukemarine Wrote: The links at the beginning of course (SGJL 01 - 16) in go to the Memrise courses where you learn.  It rotates and gradually progresses between kanji, grammar and vocabulary. Just go to the first course which is Hiragana then go on from there when you finish it.

Gotcha. I don't even know what memrise is so it looks like I've got some research to do. Thanks!
Edited: 2017-03-06, 12:25 am
So far for the few days I've done zettai ep1, i'm finding the mostly japanese nature of the course very helpful to adjusting to the speed.  I've not finished tae kim yet (was too bored of it a few years ago).  If in a month, i'm finding this still helpful and translating to other areas, I'd love to contribute to the project.

otsukare
I've uploaded episodes 3 and 4 for Zettai Kareshi in the JDI Basic group. Requesting help on the following if you'd like to volunteer:

JDI Basic - Zettai Kareshi ep 04 - Needs these audio files uploaded, message your Memrise user name to get added to contributor.

@elhnad, I think you'll be impressed with how the course improves your listening. Be sure to watch the show a few more times (maybe spread it out like you would an SRS) without subtitles to drive home how well it works.
Edited: 2017-03-20, 7:54 pm
Enjoying working through the courses on Memrise.
Thank you all for your hard work :-)
Finished up Zettai Kareshi ep 04. Next thing to prep is RTK Optimized 1110 - 3001
Great guide! As everything you post in here indeed.

Just one question, did you make any index or sorted in any way ADOBJG to study it along with Tae Kim's Grammar? I am always skimming through this book but I would like to read it completely from the start until the end if I find any logical way to sort it.
(2017-04-14, 2:53 am)EuPcsl Wrote: Great guide! As everything you post in here indeed.

Just one question, did you make any index or sorted in any way ADOBJG to study it along with Tae Kim's Grammar? I am always skimming through this book but I would like to read it completely from the start until the end if I find any logical way to sort it.

Here you go. ADOBJG summary with Tae Kim index. Turned out I'm the first guy to do this.
(2017-04-14, 3:31 am)Nukemarine Wrote:
(2017-04-14, 2:53 am)EuPcsl Wrote: Great guide! As everything you post in here indeed.

Here you go. ADOBJG summary with Tae Kim index. Turned out I'm the first guy to do this.

Wow! Thanks a lot! Yeah, I have been a long time trying to find any logical way to sort the book and I wasn't successful... until now!

Just one last thing, where do the numbers from "Order" and "Kim" columns come from?
(2017-04-14, 7:11 pm)EuPcsl Wrote:
(2017-04-14, 3:31 am)Nukemarine Wrote:

Wow! Thanks a lot! Yeah, I have been a long time trying to find any logical way to sort the book and I wasn't successful... until now!

Just one last thing, where do the numbers from "Order" and "Kim" columns come from?

Tae Kim index is split into lessons and sub lessons. 1-9 are basic, 21-38 are intermediate, 41-53 are special expressions, 61+ are the advanced sections and remaining sections with no equivalent lessons. The sublessons are the decimals 1-9. If ADoBJG only, but I felt fell in the overall lesson (just no sublesson), it has a 0. 

The learning order is simply from sorting the entire spreadsheet (all 1200 sentences) by Tae Kim index then ADoBJG sentence index.

I will say it's been a treat going through the entire book slowly. I happened to do it in parallel with Tae Kim and split with learning vocabulary and drama course. Because of that, I suggest the same to anyone else. The TTS audio and vocabulary drawn from the sentences also helped consume this information.
Enjoying working through the Memrise courses.
Just finished Tae Kim Part 04.

Any chance of adding the final Tae Kim advanced sections into Tae Kim Part 05?
Respectfully Dom :-)
(2017-05-14, 7:50 pm)sendaikenpo Wrote: Enjoying working through the Memrise courses.

I think by that time it's best to move on to actual intermediate material such as either Tobira, SKM Grammar N3, or ADoIJG (which I'll be using). Tae Kim's advanced section is not that organized or well explained as his earlier stuff. Seems that was the point he was giving up on the project and it shows.
Edited: 2017-05-14, 11:08 pm
(2017-05-14, 11:06 pm)Nukemarine Wrote:
(2017-05-14, 7:50 pm)sendaikenpo Wrote: Enjoying working through the Memrise courses.

I think by that time it's best to move on to actual intermediate material such as either Tobira, SKM Grammar N3, or ADoIJG (which I'll be using). Tae Kim's advanced section is not that organized or well explained as his earlier stuff. Seems that was the point he was giving up on the project and it shows.

That's good advice. Thank you :-)
I've been studying with Genki one for almost two weeks now. I'm at lesson 5. I review every chapter with anki / memrise Genki courses every day and I feel like I made a lot of progress lastly. But the only kanji I'm doing are the one at the end of the book. I'm moving to Japan in two weeks and I really want to be prepared. So I can hold a conversation and progress a little bit every day. Where should I start with this guide ? Should I drop genki and start these courses?
Thanks for your advice.
(2017-05-18, 11:50 pm)Alzou Wrote: I've been studying with Genki one for almost two weeks now. I'm at lesson 5. I review every chapter with anki / memrise Genki courses every day and I feel like I made a lot of progress lastly. But the only kanji I'm doing are the one at the end of the book. I'm moving to Japan in two weeks and I really want to be prepared. So I can hold a conversation and progress a little bit every day. Where should I start with this guide ? Should I drop genki and start these courses?
Thanks for your advice.

If you enjoy Genki, stick with it instead of doing the Tae Kim grammar courses. Since Tae Kim and Genki I and II both cover about N4 level material, try this: RTK part 1 on Memrise. Then do half of Genki I then do the Core 2k/6k Optimized Vocabulary part 1. Then do second half of Genki I, then Core Vocabulary part 2. At this point, do RTK part 2 on memrise. Next half of Genki II, then Core part 3. Finally second half of Genki II then Vocab part 4. 

You'll find doing Kanji, Grammar and Vocabulary all resonate with each other making learning more fun. Also, the extensive audio files for Vocabulary will improve your listening and speaking (always repeat out loud when studying/reviewing).
NM, thanks so much for your work setting this up. I've been bouncing around study methods and it really helped me focus on studying rather than flailing around trying out different tools and methods.

I notice in one of your early videos you had a KLC option next to RTK. I can't seem to find that in the first post or memrise; Is it something that you abandoned or is there still a KLC you recommend?

I'm pretty much going to stick with your method right now so if RTK is what's recommended I don't mind shelling out a few extra bucks for the companion book to switch systems, especially when I'm this fresh into the whole process and not heavily invested one way or the other.

Thanks again!
Edited: 2017-05-19, 9:29 am
(2017-05-19, 9:23 am)littlejackal Wrote: NM, thanks so much for your work setting this up. I've been bouncing around study methods and it really helped me focus on studying rather than flailing around trying out different tools and methods.

I notice in one of your early videos you had a KLC option next to RTK. I can't seem to find that in the first post or memrise; Is it something that you abandoned or is there still a KLC you recommend?

I'm pretty much going to stick with your method right now so if RTK is what's recommended I don't mind shelling out a few extra bucks for the companion book to switch systems, especially when I'm this fresh into the whole process and not heavily invested one way or the other.

Thanks again!

The KKLC course was made by another person. You can see a link to it in the Memrise forum thread I linked. As I didn't create or manage the course, I didn't list it here. If it matters, you don't really need a book for the Kanji course as the videos, this website or the Memnotes provide all the user created stories to help.
Edited: 2017-05-19, 7:56 pm
My updated core 2k/6k/10k spreadsheet.  Contains pitch in both binary and nhk format (on all but 50 vocab) along with html styling on most.  Also fixes mistypes in the kana section that were frequent when the vocab was originally written in katakana.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...=804588265

It should be possible to download your own copy from there.  If not, let me know.
Did a bit of editing in the list adding expected future courses and mixing in the bonus courses. Still a lot of work to go on all of these.