Back

Suggested Guide for Japanese Literacy (SGJL) Memrise Courses

*Note* This is both a collaboration request and a group study posting */note*

--> Suggested Guide for Japanese Literacy (SGJL) courses on Memrise

--> SGJL Basic Study Group (click on this to automatically join the study group)
--> SGJL Intermediate Study Group (click on this to automatically join the study group)
--> Japanese Drama Immersion Study Group (click on this to automatically join the study group)

--> Archive of Streamed Study Sessions on YouTube - Streams live currently Mon-Sun around 10 am - 2 pm Japan time.
--> Discord English/Japanese Study Room Sometimes I'll do a short live chat here after each study session stream.

--> Become a Patron of this Project - While the course is being developed/expanded, support is appreciated

Memrise Courses - The following link directly to individual Memrise courses. They are designed to be taken in order. Start with SGLJ 01 and go from there.

SGJL Basic Course 01 - 12

SGJL 01 - Remembering the Hiragana
SGJL 02 - Remembering the Katakana
SGJL 03 - Remembering the Kanji Optimized pt 1

SGJL 04 - Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar pt 01
SGJL 05 - Core 2k/6k Vocabulary Optimized pt 01
SGJL 06 - Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar pt 02
SGJL 07 - Core 2k/6k Vocabulary Optimized pt 02

SGJL 08 - Remembering the Kanji Optimized pt 02

SGJL 09 - Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar pt 03
SGJL 10 - Core 2k/6k Vocabulary Optimized Pt 03
SGJL 11 - Tae Kim's Guide to Japanese Grammar pt 04
SGJL 12 - Core 2k/6k Vocabulary Optimized Pt 04

Bonus Basic Courses

SGJL Bonus - Shinkanzen Master N4 Grammar
SGJL Bonus - Core 2k Kanji and Yomi

A Dictionary of Basic Grammar Course

SGJL 13 - A Dict. of Basic Japanese Grammar pt 01 
SGJL 14 - A Dict. of Basic Japanese Grammar pt 02
SGJL 15 - A Dict. of Basic Japanese Grammar pt 03
SGJL 16 - A Dict. of Basic Japanese Grammar pt 04

SGJL Intermediate Lower Course SGJL 21 - 30

SGJL 21 - Remembering the Kanji Optimized part 3
SGJL 22 - A Dict. of Intermediate Japanese Grammar pt 01
SGJL 23 - Core 2k/6k Optimized Vocabulary pt 05
SGJL 24 - A Dict. of Intermediate Japanese Grammar pt 02
SGJL 25 - Core 2k/6k Optimized Vocabulary pt 06

SGJL 26 - Remembering the Kanji Optimized part 4
SGJL 27 - A Dict. of Intermediate Japanese Grammar pt 03
SGJL 28 - Core 2k/6k Optimized Vocabulary pt 07
SGJL 29 - A Dict. of Intermediate Japanese Grammar pt 04
SGJL 30 - Core 2k/6k Optimized Vocabulary pt 08

SGJL Intermediate Upper Courses SGJL 31-40

SGJL 31 - A Dict. of Intermediate Japanese Grammar pt 05
SGJL 32 - Core 2k/6k Optimized Vocabulary pt 09
SGJL 33 - A Dict. of Intermediate Japanese Grammar pt 06
SGJL 34 - Core 2k/6k Optimized Vocabulary pt 10

SGJL 35 - A Dict. of Intermediate Japanese Grammar pt 07
SGJL 36 - Core 2k/6k Optimized Vocabulary pt 11
SGJL 37 - A Dict. of Intermediate Japanese Grammar pt 08
SGJL 38 - Core 2k/6k Optimized Vocabulary pt 12

To be developed

Japanese Drama Immersion Courses - These courses are recommend to take after you finish SGJL 12. For your first set of four episodes, alternate SGJL 13 - 16 with episodes 1 - 4 of the series of your choice.

JDI Basic - Zettai Kareshi ep 01
JDI Basic - Zettai Kareshi ep 02 
JDI Basic - Zettai Kareshi ep 03
JDI Basic - Zettai Kareshi ep 04
JDI Bonus - Zettai Kareshi Transcripts 01-04

JDI Basic - Hana Yori Dango ep 01 (not recommended, but included if interested)

Description

For the last few months, I've been creating an updated version of my Suggested Guide to Japanese on Memrise learning site.

--> Suggested Guide for Japanese Literacy (SGJL) courses on Memrise

In addition, I created a group study for Memrise members taking part and wish to keep track with how everyone else in doing. Currently at 680 members with about half that active.

--> SGJL Basic - Study Group (clicking on this makes you automatically join the study group)

Links to the material. These are spreadsheets and audio files to Core 2k/6k/10k, Tae Kim Grammar w/ TTS, A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar w/ TTS. The various subs2srs files for the planned Japanese Drama Immersion courses will be made available via patreon.

Overall Material

Remembering the Hiragana - Spreadsheet (uses Core 2k/6k audio files)
Remembering the Katakana - Spreadsheet (uses Core 2k/6k audio files)
Remembering the Kanji - Spreadsheet

Tae Kim Grammar - Spreadsheet
Tae Kim Grammar - Text to Speech Audio (Sho and Misaki voices)

A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar - Spreadsheet
A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar - Text to Speech Audio (Sho and Misaki voices)

Core 2k/6k/10k - Spreadsheet
Core 2k/6k - Vocabulary Audio
Core 2k/6k - Sentence Audio
Core 10k - Vocabulary Audio
Core 10k - Sentence Audio

Assistance Needed

If you want to help with the below items (upload audio, correct typos, etc), please reply with what course you'd like to help and your Memrise username so I can add you as a course contributor.

-- SGJL Courses --

No help needed at the moment.

-- JDI Courses --

Memrise Forums Course Series

Suggested Guide for Japanese Literacy (SGJL) Overall
Remembering the Kana in 6 Hours
Tae Kim’s Japanese Grammar
A Dictionary of Japanese Grammar
Core 2k/6k Optimized Vocabulary
Japanese Drama Immersion (JDI)
Edited: 2017-06-17, 8:49 pm
I'll help.  My freshly made memrise name is cracky555.
Cracky,

I listed courses that needs volunteers and also linked the audio files that have modified filenames for uploading ease. Please list a course or courses you'll like to upload and I'll add your username.

Also, since you're volunteering, if you have a particular favorite Japanese Drama (or Anime) series you'd like added to the Japanese Drama Immersion courses please suggest. All I ask is perhaps a private link to the video and its Japanese and English subtitles (.ass or .srt format if you please). 

Currently, for JDI courses I'll be uploading Zettai Kareshi, Rookies, Last Friends, Hana Yori Dango, Around 40 and Ryusei no Kizuna (all Basic and episode 1 only).
6-Month Challenge: Get 6-Month Premium for $66 or Premium PLUS for $166 (June 19th - 30th)
JapanesePod101
I'll do the first one for now: SGJL 09 - Tae Kim's Japanese Grammar pt 03
Edited: 2016-06-30, 1:06 am
I added you as a contributor to the Tae Kim pt 3 and ADoBJG pt 3. You might notice a few errors with the audio as when it was generated, the "/" symbol cut off anything prior to it. I've been fixing these and typos as I come across them but feel free to do the same if you have a TTS audio for Sho or Misaki.
(2016-06-30, 1:06 am)cracky Wrote: I'll do the first one for now: SGJL 09 - Tae Kim's Japanese Grammar pt 03

Thanks for finishing the audio upload. I added you to SGJL 11 as well if you'd like to do that.
(2016-07-01, 11:55 pm)Nukemarine Wrote:
(2016-06-30, 1:06 am)cracky Wrote: I'll do the first one for now: SGJL 09 - Tae Kim's Japanese Grammar pt 03

Thanks for finishing the audio upload. I added you to SGJL 11 as well if you'd like to do that.

Didn't get all the core audio up yet but the TTS stuff is up.  Except for the ones the slash broke.
I can add the sentence audio of SGJL 09 - A Dict. of Basic Japanese Grammar pt 3.
I'm 1_r0 on memrise
(2016-07-02, 3:51 am)r3ftch Wrote: I can add the sentence audio of SGJL 09 - A Dict. of Basic Japanese Grammar pt 3.
I'm 1_r0 on memrise

I added you to ADoBJG pt 3 and pt 4. Thank you for offering to help.
i've done with ADoBJG pt 3 audio

edit: I think there are some problems with 34 LESSON - Giving and Receiving.
Edited: 2016-07-06, 8:52 am
Thanks r3ftch, I'll be going over all entries one by one eventually fixing any of the small errors and redoing the audio when needed.
Just finished creating a cross index between Kanzen Master 1&2 entries and ADoJG entries. There's about a 50% overlap from the looks of it. For Intermediate, that meant about 900 unsorted entries. To relieve that monotony, I ran the sentences through Kanji Sort, then averaged the Kanji Index number for all sentences in each entry. At the very least, the example sentences (on average) will gradually increase in kanji complexity. Next is doing the same for the Advanced entries. From that, I'll likely post all the courses then put links to audio files online for volunteers or myself to slowly populate. After that is creating some reasonable vocabulary lists and audio for the grammar courses.

Did I mention again how much easier this all is to do in Anki?
I'm running through the Hana Yori Dango Drama course, and I'm liking it quite a bit.. this is awesome.
(2016-07-08, 5:57 pm)FaultyMaxim Wrote: I'm running through the Hana Yori Dango Drama course, and I'm liking it quite a bit.. this is awesome.

That's cool. I'm hoping there's a lot more like that. Currently only Rookies and Zettai Kareshi are prepped though.
Completed Zettai Kareshi.
I started to upload ADoBJG pt 4 audio.
Edited: 2016-07-27, 9:42 am
(2016-07-27, 9:37 am)r3ftch Wrote: I started to upload ADoBJG pt 4 audio.

Cool. It is tedious so one way I did it was after uploading 20 or so, I move them to an "uploaded" folder so I'm not scrolling through files for next one.
Thanks for putting together this guide, these look like really great resources.
I'm following along with this. I got a lot of use out of the first two modules for hira/katakana. I was debating whether I wanted to continue in Memrise or go to Anki. Still deciding what I'll do, maybe I'll do them both in parallel. Not sure.

Thanks for the resource.
I wouldn't do both in parallel. Just choose one and go with it. Go with memrise if you just want a plug and play course. Go with anki if you like to tweek things to suit your needs more.

If you go the anki route, there is a memrise export script that you can use to get the nukemarine material into anki.
Okay, I'll pick one. I'll be honest in that I don't understand the differences / advantages of Anki over Memrise. I heard Anki is "better" but I'm not sure why. I don't want to handicap myself is all, but I imagine it won't make a huge difference.
It comes down to temperament. Neither is objectively better(anki's algorithm is somewhat better).

Do you get frustrated with to many options and want things to "Just work" then go with memrise. Do you get frustrated that you can't tweek how hard or easy the algorithm is to study or you like to change fonts and colors on a whim, then go with anki.

Memrise just is what it is and you don't have much opportunity to customize how often you see a card, how cards are laid out, and which information is shown.

Anki has the opposite problem where everything can be customized and tweeked and there are many add ons which makes anki different things. This comes at the cost of somewhat of a learning curve and some people get distracted tweeking anki rather than studying. Anki is also much easier to add and change the material that you are studying.
Finally i've found my account password on memrise, so i can help you with adding audio to the course, starting from where i left
(2016-12-27, 2:09 pm)r3ftch Wrote: Finally i've found my account password on memrise, so i can help you with adding audio to the course, starting from where i left

Only courses that still need audio are SGJL 10 and 12 (Core 2k part 3 and 4).
Also SGJL 11 - A Dict. of Basic Japanese Grammar pt 4.

I've finished the rest of the lessons yesterday but for the 17 (61 LESSON - 70 LESSON) there aren't audio files