Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

I think I'm the previous guy talking about kanji stuff. ^^

I personaly also have no need for kanji only reading.
But on another thread someone was asking for jouyou kanji only text resources to test his recognition skill in real context.
So I suggested that he could use yomichan and enable only the kanji dictionary so he could check if the kanji he reads is part of the RTK (because yeah clicking on the compound when you're only interested in the kanji is annoying) ^^
And when I went to test it, I realized it was only showing the first scanned kanji (still a bug in my opinion because we are given the choice to disable/enable dictionaries, so yomichan should act the same no matter what).
But besides that, I was also asking for a back button for convenience when reading.
I guess with a back button, it would also be bearable to leave both dictionaries enable even if someone needs only kanji information.

thanks.
Edited: 2017-03-07, 6:03 am
It might be worthwhile to add an option where 常用漢字 show up in a different color in the results as well.
I just had an idea.  Not exactly a feature request because it seems like a lot of work and maybe not the core objective of yomichan.  But I think it would be quite useful.

The idea came to me because you mentioned highlighting joyo kanji a different color.  I also read a comment from cophnia yesterday that he was using a firefox plugin called kanji highlighter to highlight kanji that he already knew in texts.  

The idea is since yomichan already talks to anki, it can find out what words you already know.  So yomichan could highlight words that you don't already know.  This would be helpful in a few ways.  Obviously it would make it easy to locate the words that you may want to add to anki.  But also, I find that when I'm using yomichan, I look up a lot of words that I should know, because yomichan makes it so easy!  Maybe I should try a little harder before looking up the word.  So it might be helpful to enforce a little discipline having the words the I truely don't know to be a different color, or otherwise styled differently so I can limit my lookups to those words.  In case I'm not describing it properly, the Lingq website does exactly what I am suggesting.

If anyone finds this useful, there are a few things that could be added depending on different use cases.  For instance, in addition to highlighting, you could add furigana to only the unknown words.  Or instead of furigana, the first single-word dictionary hit could be added above the word, so that you don't even need to roll over the word - the definition is glance-able.  In either case, known words would be untouched.

Does anyone else think this would be useful?
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
I think the feature of highlighting unknowns as yogert has suggested would be very useful. I am one of those people that tends to be weary of adding new cards and would rather just view the meanings and readings on the popup. I actually become too reliant on looking up definitions of words I do know.

Another feature that would be useful would be a "hide" feature. Like to "hide definitions" so that only the reading shows on the popup (great for tadoku). It is a rikaisama feature that I really like because I am still able to do pure tadoku but have the option to import the work into anki containing the definition for later reviewing. There could also be a "hide readings" feature but I'm not sure how that would be a benefit to anyone.
I'm seeing a recurring issue on Chrome w/ Windows 10 (hardware: Surface Book). After some period of time, the title slug for a word fails to display. Restarting the browser fixes it, but it happens again a few hours later, requiring another restart. Has anyone else seen this, or is this just my Haunted Windows striking again? 

[Image: Disappearing+kanji.png]
So it looks like the text is there but not rendering? Can you confirm that by trying to copy and paste the missing text into somewhere else? If you click on the Kanji links, are the Kanji stroke orders missing as well? I'm using a packaged font (vl-gothic-regular) in the extension for expressions (have been for the past several versions), and it looks like maybe there is a browser bug that triggers after some amount of time.

Do you have to restart the entire browser or is opening a new tab sufficient?
You only have to reload the page to fix the bug. It tends to trigger if I switch to a different tab or app, too.

I also found a static website in where the extension will stop working after a time, requiring a reload for yomichan to be displayed again.
I stumbled on a not very intuitive behavior. When scanning a kanji it cannot retrieve (like that one 僅), it pops up either a blank window result or the last scanned word. Should maybe have a 'no result found' message to makes things clearer.
But either way, that strange that kanjidic doesn't know about 僅.
(2017-03-09, 11:43 am)pied2porc Wrote: I stumbled on a not very intuitive behavior. When scanning a kanji it cannot retrieve (like that one 僅), it pops up either a blank window result or the last scanned word. Should maybe have a 'no result found' message to makes things clearer.
But either way, that strange that kanjidic doesn't know about 僅.

It used to show a popup window saying "No results found." but I guess that broke at some point. Thanks for the report.

(2017-03-09, 11:43 am)DrJones Wrote: You only have to reload the page to fix the bug. It tends to trigger if I switch to a different tab or app, too.

I also found a static website in where the extension will stop working after a time, requiring a reload for yomichan to be displayed again.

So to trigger the bug you should try to use Yomichan extensively in one window? I will try to repro it.
If you could point me to the static site that causes it to stop working, I will take a look at that as well.
Edited: 2017-03-09, 1:23 pm
Just released 1.1.12 that fixes the issues described in the previous couple of posts.
Edited: 2017-03-10, 11:18 pm
(2017-02-08, 3:52 pm)FooSoft Wrote: ... The failure box is shown using the same IFRAME that is used to render definitions. This FRAME is re-sizable, so you can make it be as big or small as you want. It can also be dismissed by clicking anywhere. You see it when only you are telling Yomichan to look up definitions; ...

Is it possible for me to specify a minimum width that the yomichan-popup IFRAME will preserve?
Chrome: Version 56.0.2924.87 (64-bit)
Code:
<iframe 
    id="yomichan-popup" 
    src="chrome-extension://ogmnaimimemjmbakcfefmnahgdfhfami/fg/frame.html" 
    style="visibility: visible; left: 211px; top: 335px; height: 250px; width: 142px;"
    >
</iframe>

The behavior I observe is when the kanji that I shift-hover over is near the right hand side of a window the yomichan-popup is automagically resized to a narrower width but is not necessarily displayed at that right hand side of the browser window. The popup iframe height is never resized, only the width.

[Image: 0859I]

The problem is ... this narrow width is then "remembered" for all future yomichan popups!
  • To temporarily correct the problem I must shift-hover over a kanji that is close to the left-hand edge of the window and then click drag the "resize handle" (in the bottom-right corner of the popup) to resize that popup IFRAME. Thereafter, the wider width is remembered until I happen to shift-hover over a kanji near the right edge of the window again. 
I read (in the above quoted post) that this definitions IFRAME can be resized and I suspect that the "handle" in the lower right corner is what that remark refers to, however, I suppose what I am looking for is some place where I can specify a minimum width for the popup. Perhaps, more generically, I am looking to specify where in the current window the popup should be displayed but for now my immediate concern is simply having a minimum usable width specified and preserved.

I have tried using the Stylish plugin to (globally) force a width on any elements with an ID of "yomichan-popup" but my efforts have proven hit-and-miss so far. 

Code:
/* i really want this to be global */

#yomichan-popup {
    width: 400px
}

I imagine others have seen similar behavior and may have an easy workaround so before I invest more time on this I am asking for help.
@najevi there appears to be a bug that is causing the popup window to shrink more than it has to in order to fit on the screen. I can also add settings for a minimum popup size while I'm at it.
(2017-03-11, 3:04 pm)FooSoft Wrote: @najevi there appears to be a bug that is causing the popup window to shrink more than it has to in order to fit on the screen. I can also add settings for a minimum popup size while I'm at it.

Some thoughts about that setting request.
  • Since a user can already manually resize the popup then perhaps that method is the best way for a user to implicitly specify a minimum usable popup window size. (i.e. no option or global setting for a minimum useful popup size)
  • I notice that the popup size in each tab of my chrome browser can be resized differently (and remembered!) and that is actually a desirable feature. (Different tabs viewing even the same web domain can even have different YC popup sizes. I think that is a useful thing that I wouldn't want a global setting to ruin.)
  • Shrinking to fit within the available window space is not so much of a problem as subsequently defaulting to that over-shrunk size. Auto-magically expanding to the last manually specified size (for that browser tab) seems desirable.

Edited: 2017-03-11, 7:49 pm
New version released:
  • Search page can be used without Japanese IME now.
  • More intelligent placement and sizing of definitions popup.
  • Popup desired width, height, and offset can be set in options.
  • Fixes for Firefox 52 being f*ing stupid regarding storage feature detection.
All settings were erased with the last update on chrome - not just advanced settings, which I was thinking was the usual case. It remembered my dictionaries, just not which had been selected, oddly enough, and everything else was reset. The yellow symbol on the app was a nice, noninvasive indicator to know something was up.
Edited: 2017-03-12, 2:21 am
Yomichan just updated itself, and now it's not working. How do I fix it?
Bah, so I know what happened this time with options. A couple of versions ago I migrated everyone to load options from chrome.storage.local instead of chrome.storage.sync. The main reason for doing this was that options that were specific to one machine (such as what dictionaries were installed or whether or not Anki was being used), were being synchronized to across different computers causing problems. The way this was implemented, it would try to see if there was anything in chrome.storage.local and use that; otherwise it would try to load settings from chrome.storage.sync. Whenever options would be updated, they would be stored in chrome.storage.local only.

This weekend I realized that the polyfill code for checking to see if chrome.storage.sync exists (it doesn't on Firefox) was actually breaking in Firefox, and the break would happen even if just trying to see if this member was defined or not. Remembering that I transitioned everyone to chrome.local.storage I simply removed the old chrome.storage.sync code...

The problem that I did not anticipate was that users who had not modified their settings at all within this window never wrote their settings out to chrome.storage.local.... meaning that the update would reset all their settings to defaults. As dictionaries are not included in default settings (they are only enabled on import), this meant that people's dictionaries got disabled... which really sucks. I just released a version that just goes through and checks to see if all dictionaries are disabled and enables them (in the options versioning code).

@weab00 go to options and just check the checkboxes to enable the dictionaries you want to use; Yomichan will work after that. Or you can just wait a little bit and the new update will do it for you.

Sorry everyone Sad

Anything dealing with options is very difficult because you have no idea what state people's browsers are in whenever your update goes through.
Edited: 2017-03-12, 11:31 am
I was stressing about Yomichan updates earlier; but now a Chrome update on Fedora just broke the display of UTF-8 text files. (I tried the "Set Character Encoding" and "Webpage Default Encoding Changer" extensions, but they don't work on files.) That's messed up most of my Yomichan study Sad
(2017-03-14, 7:07 pm)HelenF Wrote: I was stressing about Yomichan updates earlier; but now a Chrome update on Fedora just broke the display of UTF-8 text files. (I tried the "Set Character Encoding" and "Webpage Default Encoding Changer" extensions, but they don't work on files.) That's messed up most of my Yomichan study Sad

Just save them with an HTML extension and append 

Code:
<!doctype html><html><meta charset=utf-8><pre>

to the top
Edited: 2017-03-14, 7:19 pm
Problems:

Chrome:
I can't figure out how to add cards to anki. I'm assuming it's the green (+) in your picture's but mine is grey. It's obviously connecting to anki because I can see all my decks. The only plugin I added to Anki was AnkiConnect. Is that all I need?

Firefox:
I'm not sure if this has been posted, or not and I don't really want to dig through a lot of pages.

This won't install on firefox even going through config and changing that value to false. I'm still getting the same error. I even downloaded the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) and it still won't work :/

----------------------
I'm really excited about what you're doing foosoft. This is going to help a lot of people a great deal.
Edited: 2017-03-15, 1:36 am
Chrome:
Did you set up your model correctly? Is the first field in the model going to be unique? Are all the (+) icons gray or just for some words?

Firefox:
What exactly is the error are you getting? Are you running on Firefox 51+?
(2017-03-14, 7:12 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Just save them with an HTML extension and append 

Code:
<!doctype html><html><meta charset=utf-8><pre>

to the top
Thanks. Also need something like
Code:
<body style="white-space:pre-wrap">
I think I'll use a webserver though. Found out how to make the Python one give the right encoding header.
New version released. Here are the changes:
* Add "back" button on Kanji results page.
* Inject Yomichan IFRAME on demand only.
(2017-03-15, 11:09 am)FooSoft Wrote: Chrome:
Did you set up your model correctly? Is the first field in the model going to be unique? Are all the (+) icons gray or just for some words?

Firefox:
What exactly is the error are you getting? Are you running on Firefox 51+?

Running 52.  It just tells me to go through that process and then it shows the same error about it being unsigned like I never did anything.

It's also working for chrome now. No idea why it wasn't before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Edited: 2017-03-19, 9:18 pm
The audio service seems to be down at the moment (not working on WWWJDIC either - it's giving the "not available" clip for all words).
Edited: 2017-03-21, 10:08 am