Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

New version 0.93 up, now with {sentence} and {url} support Smile
Edited: 2016-07-25, 10:50 pm
(2016-07-25, 10:50 pm)FooSoft Wrote: New version 0.93 up, now with {sentence} and {url} support Smile

Heart Heart Heart
Hey FooSoft, this is a great extension. Is there a way to add a feature that let's you write to a csv or txt file that could later be imported into anki? That way it could be used more fully on a Chromebook.
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
(2016-07-27, 3:47 pm)トリピー♫ Wrote: Hey FooSoft, this is a great extension. Is there a way to add a feature that let's you write to a csv or txt file that could later be imported into anki? That way it could be used more fully on a Chromebook.

How about if you could specify the address/hostname of the computer on which Anki is running? In this case the extension could communicate with Anki across the network. This would actually be really easy to do, would just have to double check to make sure that this feature could not be used maliciously by websites.
If it requires having another machine running Anki, it might just make more sense to remote desktop in from the Chromebook and just browse the internet from there. It would mean setting up a static IP for the Anki machine though, if you want reliable access to it from elsewhere. 

And in my case personally, that wouldn't really help much since the only place I have that I can run the desktop client is off my work computer, which I couldn't access remotely regardless.
(2016-07-27, 3:47 pm)トリピー♫ Wrote: Hey FooSoft, this is a great extension. Is there a way to add a feature that let's you write to a csv or txt file that could later be imported into anki? That way it could be used more fully on a Chromebook.

There don't appear to be many good options here. You can hack-load AnkiDroid onto ChromeOS now, and ChromeOS should support direct download of Google Play apps by end of year/top of next, but I doubt there's any way for Yomichan to integrate with that. Outside of that, I think the only option is connectivity to some sort of remote Windows or Linux desktop.
Edited: 2016-07-28, 10:11 am
(2016-07-28, 10:10 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:

There don't appear to be many good options here. You can hack-load AnkiDroid onto ChromeOS now, and ChromeOS should support direct download of Google Play apps by end of year/top of next, but I doubt there's any way for Yomichan to integrate with that. Outside of that, I think the only option is connectivity to some sort of remote Windows or Linux desktop.

Yeah, I have AnkiDroid on there now, and it works great (for the most part). It just doesn't support the python Anki add-ons.
I might be able to just dump the request I would have sent over network, strip them down to a single text string that can be pasted into the extension later or something. I don't want to do anything with CSV since it's a very static and error prone format.
Just an idea from somebody that doesn't know much about programming... But how about writing a file(sqlite,json,xml...) from yomichan to dropbox or google drive and sync to desktop anki when you sync the application...? Just a thought.
(2016-07-28, 1:33 pm)yogert909 Wrote: Just an idea from somebody that doesn't know much about programming...  But how about writing a file(sqlite,json,xml...) from yomichan to dropbox or google drive and sync to desktop anki when you sync the application...?  Just a thought.

Problem is that extensions aren't normal applications. Certain typical operations like file input and output are not allowed for security reasons.
(2016-07-28, 2:39 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Problem is that extensions aren't normal applications. Certain typical operations like file input and output are not allowed for security reasons.
How about the Google Sheets API? The result should be easy enough to import into Anki later.
https://developers.google.com/sheets/ref...ues/append
(2016-07-29, 7:55 am)HelenF Wrote:
(2016-07-28, 2:39 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Problem is that extensions aren't normal applications. Certain typical operations like file input and output are not allowed for security reasons.
How about the Google Sheets API? The result should be easy enough to import into Anki later.

Yeah, this would work. I could also just host some sort of simple "card queue" style service on my site.
(2016-07-29, 7:55 am)HelenF Wrote:

That's even better than a local file!
https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-less...nga-1-1-1/
The furigana is a little weird here. Didn't spend enough time to figure out why, but the yomichrome plugin fails to read words like 当直. Rikaichan handles it though. Might be worth investigating a fix.
(2016-08-03, 10:55 pm)xtreme1 Wrote: https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-less...nga-1-1-1/
The furigana is a little weird here. Didn't spend enough time to figure out why, but the yomichrome plugin fails to read words like 当直. Rikaichan handles it though. Might be worth investigating a fix.

Woah, that's pretty crazy. I'm in the middle of revamping dictionary lookups right now, but I'll check it out. I might just need to blacklist ruby tags.
(2016-08-03, 11:22 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2016-08-03, 10:55 pm)xtreme1 Wrote: https://www.wasabi-jpn.com/japanese-less...nga-1-1-1/

Woah, that's pretty crazy. I'm in the middle of revamping dictionary lookups right now, but I'll check it out. I might just need to blacklist ruby tags.

YomiChrome reads them fine for me. In the case of 当直 in that link, there's a hard space (likely an HTML   ) between the kanji, which would account for the parsing behavior.

I'm just about to finish a book full of Ruby using YomiChrome and have had no issues with lookups.
Edited: 2016-08-06, 1:55 pm
(2016-08-06, 1:54 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:
(2016-08-03, 11:22 pm)FooSoft Wrote:

YomiChrome reads them fine for me. In the case of 当直 in that link, there's a hard space (likely an HTML   ) between the kanji, which would account for the parsing behavior.

I'm just about to finish a book full of Ruby using YomiChrome and have had no issues with lookups.

It reads the definition just fine, but the selection for he current word goes all crazy, which is definitely an issue (even if it only happens on some speciic sites only).
New version up (might take a few to update in store), now with updated dictionaries and much sexier Kanji page. Lots of things have changed internally, so let me know if something isn't working right.

[Image: HIgP4dtl.png]
Edited: 2016-08-10, 12:08 am
Auto flashcards isn't working for me. I enabled chrome connect and when I shift over a word I see the definition and can hear the pronunciation just fine but it's not letting me add any cards. The plus button doesn't show up.
There are also some kanji when they are by themselves it doesn't read like 唱 旦 昌 唱 嘲 置
(2016-08-11, 3:00 am)rokuro Wrote: Auto flashcards isn't working for me. I enabled chrome connect and when I shift over a word I see the definition and can hear the pronunciation just fine but it's not letting me add any cards. The plus button doesn't show up.

I just double checked the release version and it appears to be working fine. Can you take a look at your settings and make sure your Anki stuff is set up correctly?

Do the plus buttons not show up at all, or are they grayed out only?
(2016-08-11, 3:16 am)rokuro Wrote: There are also some kanji when they are by themselves it doesn't read like 唱 旦 昌 唱 嘲 置

Yomichan looks for valid terms, not individual characters. Therefore while 置 doesn't work, 置く does.
Just confirmed that add to Anki works fine for me. If Anki has been idle for a while, you might need to bring it to the foreground to wake up the listener thread. Also, on longer words, there can be a delay; it looks like Yomichan does a search to determine whether or not a word already exists in your Anki deck to decide whether to activate the Anki button.

I like the new display format!!
Edited: 2016-08-11, 10:24 am
What's the status on J-J dictionary support via EDICT format? It would be great to be able to source both J-J and J-E definitions from Yomichan, though I admit I'm not quite sure how that'd work from a UI perspective...
(2016-08-11, 10:25 am)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: ...both J-J and J-E definitions...though I admit I'm not quite sure how that'd work from a UI perspective...

Maybe a hotkey...?  E.g. shift for j-e, alt/option for j-j...