Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

New release 0.4 (may have to wait just a little bit for it to update in Chrome store)
  • {glossary-list} tag for explicit HTML list construction; {glossary} now just merges the definitions together using commas, like old versions of Yomichan
  • {tags} can be used to output grammar classification for words like P, vs, N, etc.
  • Styling changes.
Edited: 2016-07-10, 8:58 pm
The app is great!

Is it possible to make it to add the audio in the Anki deck for the added expression?
I don't think the Chrome security model allows extensions to save files to arbitrary locations on the user's hard drive, but I'll check.
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
(2016-07-11, 4:10 pm)FooSoft Wrote: I don't think the Chrome security model allows extensions to save files to arbitrary locations on the user's hard drive, but I'll check.

Would it be possible to create a feature that fails cards of words you have to lookup and get that merged into the official plugin? For instance something equivalent to this for the chrome plugin: https://github.com/FooSoft/yomichan/pull/9

So I'm envisioning, if the word is already added the popup box big circle would be dimmed out, if you click the icon in this state (or introduce a new fail icon) it would set the card with the keyword as due since you had to look it up. 

This seems like a good way to keep track of words you should already know even when you are outside the context of anki - say a news article, a goo.jp or jisho.org word lookup, etc.

Does anyone have any interest in something like this?
Edited: 2016-07-13, 12:02 am
It seems like an interesting option that I could find some use for.  It should definitely be an option you could turn off/on though.  I often look up words that I know just to double check readings or clarify a meaning and I can see that there would be times I don't necessarily want to reschedule cards based on a lookup.
(2016-07-13, 2:39 am)yogert909 Wrote: It seems like an interesting option that I could find some use for.  It should definitely be an option you could turn off/on though.  I often look up words that I know just to double check readings or clarify a meaning and I can see that there would be times I don't necessarily want to reschedule cards based on a lookup.

right it wouldn't be automatic in the sense that when you scan the word it would fail it. It would fail it if you clicked an icon next to the word - there is no other way to know the exact word you are looking at.
(2016-07-13, 12:01 am)xtreme1 Wrote:
(2016-07-11, 4:10 pm)FooSoft Wrote: I don't think the Chrome security model allows extensions to save files to arbitrary locations on the user's hard drive, but I'll check.

Would it be possible to create a feature that fails cards of words you have to lookup and get that merged into the official plugin? For instance something equivalent to this for the chrome plugin: https://github.com/FooSoft/yomichan/pull/9

So I'm envisioning, if the word is already added the popup box big circle would be dimmed out, if you click the icon in this state (or introduce a new fail icon) it would set the card with the keyword as due since you had to look it up. 

This seems like a good way to keep track of words you should already know even when you are outside the context of anki - say a news article, a goo.jp or jisho.org word lookup, etc.

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how good it is to start mucking around with card scheduling. Let's say you see a word somewhere that you don't know the reading of. You look it up, and are like "Oh, that's what it was! I totally should have known it, it was in my deck!". So now you click the button to make the card due... Next time you are reviewing the card, you probably still remember the reading since you just saw it a little while ago; do you fail it even though you know the answer? Or do you say that you remember it (you do now) even though you failed it before?

IMHO this is all in the territory of being kind of OCD about your decks. I know because I was totally in the same boat being concerned about remembering every single one of my 23k or so vocab cards. Now I just read and periodically add new cards as I see fit. I think if we had to worry about rescheduling every word that we noticed that we forgot that would be all that we would be doing. Just let Anki handle the scheduling; the whole point is not to have to care about when words come up for reviews.
(2016-07-13, 6:41 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2016-07-13, 12:01 am)xtreme1 Wrote:

It's an interesting idea, but I don't know how good it is to start mucking around with card scheduling. Let's say you see a word somewhere that you don't know the reading of. You look it up, and are like "Oh, that's what it was! I totally should have known it, it was in my deck!". So now you click the button to make the card due... Next time you are reviewing the card, you probably still remember the reading since you just saw it a little while ago; do you fail it even though you know the answer? Or do you say that you remember it (you do now) even though you failed it before?

IMHO this is all in the territory of being kind of OCD about your decks. I know because I was totally in the same boat being concerned about remembering every single one of my 23k or so vocab cards. Now I just read and periodically add new cards as I see fit. I think if we had to worry about rescheduling every word that we noticed that we forgot that would be all that we would be doing. Just let Anki handle the scheduling; the whole point is not to have to care about when words come up for reviews.

So I've used that branched version of Yomichan that does this for SRS Reading, where it fails words as you look them up, and then tells you what to read. The scheduling aspect of it is absolutely fantastic and easy to implement(just set the due date). So other plugins have been successful with it.

As for the use case: if you know you forgot it, and you review your card of it - regardless of whether you mark it as miss or good, it will still make that card show more frequently. I think this is really powerful for sentence and vocab decks (though I don't use vocab decks) and have been looking for a way to incorporate external reading to help shape the anki formula, which clearly isn't perfect if you are still forgetting things and thus looking them up with the extension. This should also help you weed out leeches faster. An alternative would be messing with the graduating interval and easy interval but I haven't had much success with those, as they don't take into account any external sources. If I could fail a card every time I had to look it up on Jisho.org that would be amazing.

For me, finding something I don't know in the real world means I should be reviewing it more, I want some tool to help bridge anki's simulated environment with stuff I find in the wild. It doesn't make sense to make a branch or a separate chrome plugin to me since I know this app will gain a lot of popularity and seems like an ideal place for functionality like this to exist. Any thoughts from anyone? Is there a better way to go about this? Any chance of getting this in there if I make the PR?
I'm not against it in principle, and I'll accept a PR if it's done in a simple way that incorporates well into whatever is there.

FWIW the branched version of Yomichan is not getting merged because it had several really large and seemingly experimental changes, combined with code quality that was not quite up to par in its current form. I'm up for providing feedback on pull requests as long as the scope is limited. I basically didn't want to get stuck maintaining a bunch of code that I don't really understand or agree with 100% in terms of implementation.

I really need to write a file about contributing code, but it boils down to:
1) One small, logical change per pull request.
2) Match coding conventions.
3) Crashing is not acceptable regardless of what user does.
(2016-07-14, 4:14 pm)FooSoft Wrote: I'm not against it in principle, and I'll accept a PR if it's done in a simple way that incorporates well into whatever is there.

FWIW the branched version of Yomichan is not getting merged because it had several really large and seemingly experimental changes, combined with code quality that was not quite up to par in its current form. I'm up for providing feedback on pull requests as long as the scope is limited. I basically didn't want to get stuck maintaining a bunch of code that I don't really understand or agree with 100% in terms of implementation.

I really need to write a file about contributing code, but it boils down to:
1) One small, logical change per pull request.
2) Match coding conventions.
3) Crashing is not acceptable regardless of what user does.

Sounds reasonable, thanks. I'll make a feature request on github and continue structural questions there. I'll start early next week probably.
Edited: 2016-07-14, 5:40 pm
New version released. You can now use the {audio} tag to embed voice files in your decks (vocab that does not have recorded audio will not have anything added to the card).
Make sure to get the latest version of AnkiConnect or Yomichan to use this feature.
Great, it works like charm. I like how this plugin is developing ahead....
Just released 0.8: fixing audio not playing on some pages.
Version 0.9: Performance improvements and ability to lookup japanese content on image "alt" tags.
Just had a chance to try this and it's really slick. Thank you!

Is it possible to get some sort of feature to allow divvying up cards added to Anki into different decks? Maybe a fly-out on the Add button that lets you pick a deck name. I like to keep my studying targeted, and would like to group different sets of words into different decks (e.g., historical terms and people names into a 歴史deck, words related to nihonshu into a 日本酒 deck, etc.).

Also, +1 on adding a {sentence} field.
Another issue: It doesn't work on local HTML files (those with a file:// URI). This prevents me, e.g., from loading an HTML file I store on Google Drive and using Yomichan Chrome on it (think "innocent" books converted to HTML using JNovelFormatter).

And actually, it doesn't work on any non-HTTP/HTTPS URL extension, apparently. This means I also can't use it with the HTML Viewer extension for Google Drive. Any way around this?
Looks like I can hack around it by using the http.server class in python to start a simple Web server in the current directory. That'll tide me over Smile
@gaiaslastlaugh those are good suggestions. I'm aiming to have {sentence} support in the next release.
The file:// URLs not working was actually low hanging fruit (permissions update), so I added that and pushed a new release.
You *might* have to set the local file access checkbox on the chrome://extensions page.
(2016-07-24, 1:06 pm)FooSoft Wrote: @gaiaslastlaugh those are good suggestions. I'm aiming to have {sentence} support in the next release.
The file:// URLs not working was actually low hanging fruit (permissions update), so I added that and pushed a new release.
You *might* have to set the local file access checkbox on the chrome://extensions page.

You rock!!!! Will pull the new release and try later today.
Any chance to port it for Safari? Smile
@FooSoft - auto-updated and selected the local file access checkbox, and it works like a champ. Thank you SO much! With the slick automated Anki integration, this goes a long way toward creating a comprehensive system where you can read an article, click a button, and study words as flashcards at your leisure. It's a huge value add.

Some other longer-term recommendations:

* Ability to push a default set of note/card definitions to Anki. This would be very attractive for beginners, who wouldn't have to learn how to create new models in Anki; they could use the pre-provided models offered by your extension instead.
* A field for source URL, to make it easy to jump from a vocab word back to the original article. (Note: This would also obviate the need for adding to separate decks, as you could easily create filter decks based on this property in Anki.)
Edited: 2016-07-24, 3:08 pm
One last thing (probably): There's an issue on my Mac OS El Capitan laptop with the Add to Anki buttons not becoming active unless you bring Anki to the foreground, and then switch back to Chrome. I can only assume there's some task management issue causing the HTTP connections to Anki to sever, or causing the mini-REST server Anki is hosting to idle or become unavailable.

I can use Yomichan on my Amazon Workspace from MacOS (Windows Server mimicking Windows 7), so not a huge issue for me atm, but wanted to make it visible.
(2016-07-24, 2:05 pm)vebaev Wrote: Any chance to port it for Safari? Smile

Someday! I don't use Safari and at this point Yomichan Chrome is still very much a work in progress, so having to test every change on multiple browsers is going to be annoying. Once I'm happy with the feature set I'll make a pass on making everything work on Firefox and Safari.
(2016-07-24, 5:20 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: One last thing (probably): There's an issue on my Mac OS El Capitan laptop with the Add to Anki buttons not becoming active unless you bring Anki to the foreground, and then switch back to Chrome. I can only assume there's some task management issue causing the HTTP connections to Anki to sever, or causing the mini-REST server Anki is hosting to idle or become unavailable.

I can use Yomichan on my Amazon Workspace from MacOS (Windows Server mimicking Windows 7), so not a huge issue for me atm, but wanted to make it visible.

Hrm, what version of MacOS are you running? It would be interesting to know if other MacOS users run into the same problem. AnkiConnect processes network messages on a timer, which is probably driven by UI update loop. I don't know anything about this OS, but what might be happening is that all UI operations are suspended when they are in the background. Does Yomichan complain about Anki not running when you bring up the options dialog from within the extension (when Anki is in the background)?
@FooSoft - I'm running El Capitan 10.11.16 on a Macbook Pro. Yomichan options don't complain when Anki has been backgrounded, but the Options dialog does indeed fail to load the current Anki configuration if I've backgrounded Anki, so that seems to bolster your theory.