Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

I noticed the priority tags aren't going to Anki in the {glossary} field any more. I thought they might have moved to the {tags} field, but that's coming up empty.
Tags are now split into term tags and definition tags; it is possible that they are not properly propagating to Anki. I'll take a look.
I'm trying to use your Yomichan Import tool to import an auto-generated EPWING dictionary but I always get this error message: "2017/11/15 01:10:52 conversion process failed: failed to find compatible extractor for 'Dictionary Name'". Is there any way to get more information to try to troubleshoot this issue?
JapanesePod101
It is not possible to import arbitrary EPWING dictionaries since they are all formatted differently from each other. You have to write code in the yomichan-import tool in order to extract relevant info from the dictionary. The list of currently supported EPWING dictionaries can be found here: https://foosoft.net/projects/yomichan-import
(2017-11-14, 6:37 pm)FooSoft Wrote: It is not possible to import arbitrary EPWING dictionaries since they are all formatted differently from each other. You have to write code in the yomichan-import tool in order to extract relevant info from the dictionary. The list of currently supported EPWING dictionaries can be found here: https://foosoft.net/projects/yomichan-import
Oh, I understand. What a pity! It was a custom dictionary with kanjis from RTK really useful for me.
Thank you for your help!
I just tried loading yomichan for the first time today, I had used rikaichan before to get definitions for text files which I opened in Firefox. But apparently the current version of Firefox doesn't support rikaichan.

Yomichan seems to work fine (and it seems pretty cool) for webpages, but I don't get any pop up definitions at all for a html file which I open from my computer. Am I doing something wrong here, or is this not supported?

Thanks very much!
(2017-11-15, 9:56 pm)ergerg Wrote: I just tried loading yomichan for the first time today, I had used rikaichan before to get definitions for text files which I opened in Firefox. But apparently the current version of Firefox doesn't support rikaichan.

Yomichan seems to work fine (and it seems pretty cool) for webpages, but I don't get any pop up definitions at all for a html file which I open from my computer.  Am I doing something wrong here, or is this not supported?

Thanks very much!

Did you tick off  the check box "Allow access to file URLs"? In chrome the extension page with this check box opens simultaniously to the options when you click on the Yomichan spanner/monkey wrench icon.
I've been getting used to running Yomichan on both Chrome and Firefox, but I've run into a bit of an annoyance when using it in Chrome: when I middle click for a new tab, it tries to run Yomichan as well, without any kind of dragging motion at all.
The Firefox version doesn't have this problem.

I know that I can turn off middle click functionality, but it's far more convenient than shift+clicking.

Is there a way for you to add a timer for the activation, maybe a quarter to half second, to distinguish between a click and a highlight in Chrome?
Just a note to let you know that I finally got around to doing the Yomichan review I promised 'way back in this thread.

Sorry for the long delay. It isn't lack of enthusiasm, but that I have been so busy with videos and with things connected with my forthcoming book that I haven't had a lot of time for articles.

I do lament the loss of Sanseido Mode in the piece I'm afraid, but I hope I have done justice to the truly magnificent piece of software that Yomichan is.

http://learnjapaneseonline.info/2017/12/...he-review/
Edited: 2017-12-06, 4:04 pm
(2017-12-06, 4:03 pm)CureDolly Wrote: Just a note to let you know that I finally got around to doing the Yomichan review I promised 'way back in this thread.

Sorry for the long delay. It isn't lack of enthusiasm, but that I have been so busy with videos and with things connected with my forthcoming book that I haven't had a lot of time for articles.

I do lament the loss of Sanseido Mode in the piece I'm afraid, but I hope I have done justice to the truly magnificent piece of software that Yomichan is.

http://learnjapaneseonline.info/2017/12/...he-review/

you can still use rikaisama if you install the old version of firefox along with firefox quantum. thtat's what i'm doing. i make mcd cards using excel so i have to use rikai-sama. https://forum.koohii.com/thread-14508-page-2.html
Edited: 2017-12-06, 8:23 pm
Thank you for the information. So you are running Rikaisama on the old Firefox? Or does that enable it on Quantum?

Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm not too smart about these things!

Actually it probably won't help my problem as the Sanseido mode was broken even before Quantum came out (only because it wasn't pointing to the right url I think, but broken just the same).]

I like Yomichan but I really am trying to keep my time engaged with Anki to a minimum and I found Sanseido Mode useful for that.

Right now I'm working on using Anki less. It's a delicate balance because words can and do slip away if they aren't "pinned", but I am trying to work out a strategy for radically reducing Anki-time (because I feel time is better spent actually doing things in Japanese) while doing as much word-pinning as is necessary.

Partly this has to do with dividing words into "learnability types" and deciding which type of vocabulary you want to have them in.

I am theorizing that there are , crudely divided, two types of active and two types of passive vocabulary. We don't need to have all words in our front-level active vocabulary. Words naturally pass from passive to active vocabulary over time and not all words do or need to (by no means all words do even in the case of an adult native-language speaker).

Japanese vocabulary is in any case a somewhat different proposition from the vocabularies of, say, West European languages and I believe we can discover some principles for dealing with it that leverage its specific advantages.

It's all a bit raw right now and I apologize for rambling about it, but I'm hoping to develop it into something useful for myself and eventually for others over time.
(2017-12-06, 9:12 pm)CureDolly Wrote: Thank you for the information. So you are running Rikaisama on the old Firefox? Or does that enable it on Quantum?

Sorry if that's a dumb question. I'm not too smart about these things!

Actually it probably won't help my problem as the Sanseido mode was broken even before Quantum came out (only because it wasn't pointing to the right url I think, but broken just the same).]

I like Yomichan but I really am trying to keep my time engaged with Anki to a minimum and I found Sanseido Mode useful for that.

Right now I'm working on using Anki less. It's a delicate balance because words can and do slip away if they aren't "pinned", but I am trying to work out a strategy for radically reducing Anki-time (because I feel time is better spent actually doing things in Japanese) while doing as much word-pinning as is necessary.

Partly this has to do with dividing words into "learnability types" and deciding which type of vocabulary you want to have them in.

I am theorizing that there are , crudely divided, two types of active and two types of passive vocabulary. We don't need to have all words in our front-level active vocabulary. Words naturally pass from passive to active vocabulary over time and not all words do or need to (by no means all words do even in the case of an adult native-language speaker).

Japanese vocabulary is in any case a somewhat different proposition from the vocabularies of, say, West European languages and I believe we can discover some principles for dealing with it that leverage its specific advantages.

It's all a bit raw right now and I apologize for rambling about it, but I'm hoping to develop it into something useful for myself and eventually for others over time.

RIKAI-sama runs on the old firefox.  here is a link : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ins...of-firefox
for example this is the folder with the installer for an old version of firefox http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/relea.../win32/eu/

I just made sure to rename the location during the installation & change settings in firefox to NOT UPDATE

in the thread i linked i mentioned an anki plugin that generates sanseido definitions (you have to tweak the code a little bit to make it work because since the url is just different but according to the blogger i mentioned it's not).
Edited: 2017-12-13, 6:48 pm
When configuring the anki connector
is there a {} to get just the first line of the {glossary} with no tags and no (1.) line number..
for example
"to eat"
not
1. to eat
2. to live on (e.g. a salary) to live off to subsist on
3. to eat to live on (e.g. a salary) to live off to subsist on
I haven't used the Anki import function since last year and it seems some layout things have changed, and I'm trying to get it to look like it did before. The thing I'm having trouble with is that I can't get the glossary to be on the same line as the tags and the name of the dictionary is showing in every tag. How do I stop that from showing and get the tags and glossary to be on the same line? Thanks!

Fixed the struck out parts. I didn't know glossary by itself included the tags, I was only using glossary-brief. I'd still like to know if it's possible to stop the name of the dictionary from showing though? That'd be great.

Oh, and something else I've noticed is the sentence import seems to be pulling a lot of junk information along with it if you try to add a word from a google search. Things like this: - From your search history - Use precise location - Learn more HelpSend feedbackPrivacyTerms.

Now another thing that seems to have changed from before. Every glossary entry is aligning itself to the left, even when I set the text alignment to center through Anki. I really just want to get things to look like they did before, how can I get the text to be centered?
Edited: 2017-12-15, 9:57 am
(2017-12-08, 2:39 am)m8719705030 Wrote: When configuring the anki connector
is there a {}  to get just the first line of the {glossary}  with no tags and no (1.) line number..
for example
"to eat"
not
1. to eat
2.  to live on (e.g. a salary) to live off to subsist on
3.  to eat to live on (e.g. a salary) to live off to subsist on

Are you getting it to show as numbers for you? For me it just shows as bullet points, same for when I import to Anki. I believe it used to show numbers for me, but it's been so long I can't remember. It looks like this for me: [Image: rJFeudV.png]
Edited: 2017-12-15, 10:19 am
(2017-12-15, 10:18 am)Roketzu Wrote: Are you getting it to show as numbers for you? For me it just shows as bullet points, same for when I import to Anki. I believe it used to show numbers for me, but it's been so long I can't remember. It looks like this for me: [Image: rJFeudV.png]

{glossary} is:
Code:
<div style="text-align: left;"><ol><li><i>(n, JMdict (English))</i> wife | bride</li><li><i>(n, JMdict (English))</i> (one's) daughter-in-law</li><li><i>(P, n, KireiCake)</i> wife | bride | (one's) daughter-in-law</li></ol></div>

{glossary-brief} is:
Code:
<div style="text-align: left;"><ol><li>wife | bride</li><li>(one's) daughter-in-law</li><li>wife | bride | (one's) daughter-in-law</li></ol></div>

I have numbers(in anki, not in the browser), so I guess the css is set to show an ol ordered list with numbers.. 

But if I could just have the first list item, then I would have simpler cards..
Edited: 2017-12-15, 10:50 am
(2017-12-15, 10:49 am)m8719705030 Wrote:
(2017-12-15, 10:18 am)Roketzu Wrote: Are you getting it to show as numbers for you? For me it just shows as bullet points, same for when I import to Anki. I believe it used to show numbers for me, but it's been so long I can't remember. It looks like this for me: [Image: rJFeudV.png]

{glossary} is:
Code:
<div style="text-align: left;"><ol><li><i>(n, JMdict (English))</i> wife | bride</li><li><i>(n, JMdict (English))</i> (one's) daughter-in-law</li><li><i>(P, n, KireiCake)</i> wife | bride | (one's) daughter-in-law</li></ol></div>

{glossary-brief} is:
Code:
<div style="text-align: left;"><ol><li>wife | bride</li><li>(one's) daughter-in-law</li><li>wife | bride | (one's) daughter-in-law</li></ol></div>

I have numbers(in anki, not in the browser), so I guess the css is set to show an ol ordered list with numbers.. 

But if I could just have the first list item, then I would have simpler cards..

Where are you getting that code from? Is it possible to edit it to change the text alignment? I mean before importing to Anki. I don't even get the numbers in Anki, though I'm sure I used to because my old notes are numbered.. Now it's just a bulletpoint.
(2017-12-15, 11:24 am)Roketzu Wrote: Where are you getting that code from? Is it possible to edit it to change the text alignment? I mean before importing to Anki. I don't even get the numbers in Anki, though I'm sure I used to because my old notes are numbered.. Now it's just a bulletpoint.

I'm getting it from the edit HTML button in the card browser.

[Image: ZH0yXMv.gif]
(2017-12-15, 1:10 pm)m8719705030 Wrote:
(2017-12-15, 11:24 am)Roketzu Wrote: Where are you getting that code from? Is it possible to edit it to change the text alignment? I mean before importing to Anki. I don't even get the numbers in Anki, though I'm sure I used to because my old notes are numbered.. Now it's just a bulletpoint.

I'm getting it from the edit HTML button in the card browser.

[Image: ZH0yXMv.gif]

Sweet .gif making skills you got there^^ I knew I did this before in Anki I just forgot how. I know through the advanced options on Yomichan you can edit some of the layout stuff, but I've no idea how to and would probably break it if I tried. Specifically adding just the first entry of a result doesn't seem like it can be done through that though. Nor can I see any way to remove the name of the dictionary.
So, this is probably a really stupid question, but is there anyway to rearrange the order of dictionary entries when importing into Anki? If possible, I'd like to have it go from Daijirin to Kenkyusha, but right now, since I installed Kenkyusha first, that's always showing up first unless I disable it. Nothing terrible, but it'd be nice to change if possible.

Also, while this may have been asked before, is there any sort of pitch accent option/add-on available for Yomichan?
Is there a way to make Yomichan work just by hovering the mouse over the text like the Rikaiseries? My hands are injured and having to click every time is a real pain.

Thanks.
(2017-12-22, 4:38 pm)Moscato Wrote: Is there a way to make Yomichan work just by hovering the mouse over the text like the Rikaiseries? My hands are injured and having to click every time is a real pain.

Thanks.

In Options, set Scan Modifier Key to None.
Actually I find the scan modifier key very useful - slightly mendokusai to have to press it (lazy doll) but really better than definitions boinging up all over the screen when you don't need them.

But of course we all have different preferences.
(2017-12-23, 11:04 am)CureDolly Wrote: Actually I find the scan modifier key very useful - slightly mendokusai to have to press it (lazy doll) but really better than definitions boinging up all over the screen when you don't need them.

But of course we all have different preferences.

It depends on device too. When I had a Surface Book, I found turning it off was more valuable, as you would then get pop-ups when you hovered the pen over a term. I also like the Shift key for a normal PC; the Rikai always-pop always annoyed me, especially because it would constantly interfere with typing messages on Facebook and Twitter.
Oh yes. The always-pop was especially difficult for writing. I usually had to disable Rikai when typing because it made typing in Japanese quite glitchy.

Useful (especially for beginners) for proofreading what you've written afterward though. For proofreading as you go, I think Yomichan with modifier key is better because you can proofread when you want to without having it swallow words. Actually I don't think it would swallow them the way Rikai did anyway, it would just pop up its (rather more stable) window which would be annoying but not so annoying. But with the modifier you have control over the whole thing.

Despite my grumbles about the lack of Sanseido mode there are various advantages to Yomichan.
Edited: 2017-12-23, 1:15 pm